New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Do You Get Upset When Other Players Want To Play A Tier 1 Class?

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Seems like most people don't care much about T1 classes,
    Personally speaking, I like tier 1 classes just fine.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ColorBlindNinja View Post
    Personally speaking, I like tier 1 classes just fine.
    I think he meant "most people don't care much about" as in "most people don't have a problem with them being at the table". Not "I don't care for them/don't like them."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I think he meant "most people don't care much about" as in "most people don't have a problem with them being at the table". Not "I don't care for them/don't like them."
    Ah, in that case, I misunderstood what he meant.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I don't get upset by someone choosing to play a tier 1 class.
    But I do have a problem when that same someone complains that someone else is playing an unoptimized character.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    I don't get upset by someone choosing to play a tier 1 class.
    But I do have a problem when that same someone complains that someone else is playing an unoptimized character.
    To be fair, outliers are a problem whether they're ahead or behind. It's one thing if the player doesn't know what they're doing and can be assisted in making a better character that fits the same fantasy, but if you deliberately make a sub-optimal character while everyone else is making reasonable characters, you're the problem in that group.
    Last edited by Crake; 2019-01-14 at 05:59 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    To be fair, outliers are a problem whether they're ahead or behind. It's one thing if the player doesn't know what they're doing and can be assisted in making a better character that fits the same fantasy, but if you deliberately make a sub-optimal character while everyone else is making reasonable characters, you're the problem in that group.
    Yep, good point. I personally don't like when someone messes too much with multi-classing to give flavor to a character. You don't need to pick levels in bard for your cleric worshipping a god of arts, domain spells and skills are usually enough to give characterization, you could as well play a high dex, high cha cleric and be effective without rejecting your PCs concept.
    (BTW it depends on apl, if the adventure is a one shot 7th level bard/cleric is welcome, if it's a campaign 1 to 20 at some point you'll play a broken character)

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

No because if there's a problem it's usually the player being "That Person" and not necessarily the class. In that case you can either talk to the person and solve it or you can't and you don't play with them anymore.

No the problem is usually on my side where I can look at the other character and see that they can do my job to relatively equal effectiveness at a cost, whatever that cost may be, and engage in the world in various ways I never really could barring DM fiat. Which isn't the best feeling.

You don't envy the class that your fellow party members are playing, you envy character it allows them to play.
    Last edited by VoltsofEight; 2019-01-14 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Grammar errors

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Look, sometimes you want to play a Dwarf paladin because it sounds fun and there is no reason a dwarf could not become one lorewise, even though their charisma is awful.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Look, sometimes you want to play a Dwarf paladin because it sounds fun and there is no reason a dwarf could not become one lorewise, even though their charisma is awful.
    A dwarf paladin is not actually the worst pick.
    You will be tough and the only thing that actually gets better with charisma is saves, the boost to attack rolls to smite and the hit points healed by lay on hands.
    Having a smaller lay on hands pool is not a really big problem, the save penalty is in part compensated by the +2 to all the saves against spells that dwarves gets and the +2 to saves against poisons means that most of the stuff of the game will be not so hard to save against and the lower smite attack rolls is not a that big problem either.
    On the other hand playing an half orc paladin is worse because you lose charisma and intelligence and do not get a ton of cool things like a dwarf(some people consider +2 to strength is worth a lot but at that point you are better off taking human and having a bonus feat since both of those are comparably valuable for a class as feat starved as paladin).

10. - Top - End - #100

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    You will be tough and the only thing that actually gets better with charisma is saves, the boost to attack rolls to smite and the hit points healed by lay on hands.
    Having a smaller lay on hands pool is not a really big problem, the save penalty is in part compensated by the +2 to all the saves against spells that dwarves gets and the +2 to saves against poisons means that most of the stuff of the game will be not so hard to save against and the lower smite attack rolls is not a that big problem either.
    On the other hand playing an half orc paladin is worse because you lose charisma and intelligence and do not get a ton of cool things like a dwarf(some people consider +2 to strength is worth a lot but at that point you are better off taking human and having a bonus feat since both of those are comparably valuable for a class as feat starved as paladin).
    Eh, as long as you're reasonably competent at what you do (relative to your other party members), there's no reason not to pick a particular race/class combo. Now, that's a broad statement that can mean different things in different groups, but a half-orc paladin isn't automatically toxic trash. For starters, intelligence is often already dumped by paladins, and losing a bit more doesn't really hurt that much. Also, you can just optimize a bit more than you otherwise would as (for example) a human paladin, and make up the power difference that way. You're not condemning your character just by not picking the most mechanically advantageous race for their particular class. Want your next bard to be a half-orc? Sure, go for it. I'm sure it'll be a memorable character to play.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Well the person I'm thinking of would just say "It's sub-optimal so it's trash". That's the kind of person that bothers me.

12. - Top - End - #102

NecromancerGirl

Well the person I'm thinking of would just say "It's sub-optimal so it's trash". That's the kind of person that bothers me.
    That sounds like a toxic player. That's just as bad as saying, "it's tier 1 so it's cheese." These are both instances of hating on someone's character because it's not the sort of character the speaker would make.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

That doesn't mean the dwarf paladin's charisma should be 8 either. Sub-optimal is not inherently a bad thing, but you need competency. If using Point Buy it doesn't cost the player anything. Using Pathfinder numbers, non dwarf paladins might pay 10 for 16 CH and 5 for 14 CO. A dwarf paladin buys the same thing and gets 14 CH 16 CO as a result because of racial modifiers. A 14 CH is decent considering the CH penalty. Using 25 Point Buy he probably bought 16 ST for a final array of ST 16 DX 10 CO 16 IN 10 WI 12 CH 14, which is not terrible for a paladin.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by SLOTHRPG95 View Post
    That sounds like a toxic player. That's just as bad as saying, "it's tier 1 so it's cheese." These are both instances of hating on someone's character because it's not the sort of character the speaker would make.
    Well he's not toxic per se.
    But he's whiny.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

There are dwarf variants that don't get a cha penalty that you could play instead. "Dwarf paladin" isn't suboptimal, hell, even deliberately playing a low cha paladin isn't necessarily sub optimal, as long as you can pull your weight with decent strength, AC, and hp. It's the people who do stuff like pick fighter 20 when other people are playing tome of battle classes, and pick stuff like 10 different weapon focuses when they only use one weapon the whole game.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.

Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wow. this thread is of much gold. Just some of the examples:

Spoiler: Gold Mine
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ColorBlindNinja View Post
    If the OP meant as a player and not as a DM, my answer is still no.

If the rest of the party is playing higher powered characters, I'll just play a more powerful character.

I also don't really care much if someone else in the party is flat-out better than my PC is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkad View Post
    Polymorphing himself into a war troll is the less-optimal decision vs polymorphing the fighter into one, in nearly every case.

So, assuming there IS a fighter in the party, that's a player problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
    And getting upset about my friends wants to play is not something I do! For me it’s all about the greatest fun for the greatest number of people!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Awkward View Post
    The only balance that matters is the balance between party members.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    People bother me, not classes. I find people that need to be in the spotlight all the time irritating
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboEmperor View Post
    A toxic hateful scrub has more than enough problems for you to either leave the table or get him kicked. A T1 hater does NOT hate T1s only. They hate a metric **** ton of stuff that they don't want to bother learning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    It bothers me if you steal from party members. It bothers me if you don't share important need to know information you learn with the party. It bothers me if you don't help other party members. It bothers me you help other party members but express your resentment doing so. It bothers me you help other party members but express how dumb they are for being in the mess they're in and need you to save them again. It bothers me if you purposely make an encounter go sour because you're bored just when it was about to be concluded without a fuss or combat.

I don't give a Hoover what class you play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post

there's a tendency to act like the Wizard being better than the Fighter is itself evidence that the Wizard is overpowered. That's nonsense. It's like asserting that because 7 is bigger than 4, 7 is a big number. That doesn't make any sense. You have to define what it means for a number to be "big". If you're asking about the number of banks someone has robbed, 7 is a pretty big number. If you're asking about their age, it's a lot less so.

Basically, people have convinced themselves that the Wizard is a problem, and that warps their thinking. I tend to blame the tiers, because they established the idea that the thing that defines Wizards is "being broken".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    The most disruptive optimization I had a table was a low tier power charger, so not really? Most people who are invested enough to really know 3.5 also know not to rock the boat.

Just so many comments (these are just some of the many I saw) that make me proud of the Playground.

My general reaction to someone wanting play a tier 1 is as follows: either they know what they're doing, in which case they'll show just how well that they know the more important player skill of knowing how to play well with others, or they don't know what they're doing, in which case the character will likely die quickly. So, win?

One thing I did want to question, though:

It bothers me you help other party members but express your resentment doing so. It bothers me you help other party members but express how dumb they are for being in the mess they're in and need you to save them again.
    So, I've played that character. If your party are idiots, why would it bother you that somebody is playing a character that would call them out on being idiots? If you don't call people out on their stupidity, how can they learn? How can they have character growth?

(I believe Loki has a major defining moment when Thor tells him something like, "life is change. You want to stay the god of mischief, but you could be so much more".)

Why does it bother you that PCs can resent other PCs being dumb and getting in messes again and again?
    Last edited by Quertus; 2019-01-15 at 08:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    One thing I did want to question, though:

So, I've played that character. If your party are idiots, why would it bother you that somebody is playing a character that would call them out on being idiots? If you don't call people out on their stupidity, how can they learn? How can they have character growth?

(I believe Loki has a major defining moment when Thor tells him something like, "life is change. You want to stay the god of mischief, but you could be so much more".)

Why does it bother you that PCs can resent other PCs being dumb and getting in messes again and again?
    Who said the party was actually being idiots? It's the person doing the helping just saying they are idiots for being in the mess they're in. It could be the planned encounter the DM set up but Jerkface went lone wolf exploring an area where nothing in particular happens while the party goes to the Plot Room and face its Monster. Since they're a party member down they are having difficulty so Jerkface has to come back to "save them again".

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Who said the party was actually being idiots? It's the person doing the helping just saying they are idiots for being in the mess they're in. It could be the planned encounter the DM set up but Jerkface went lone wolf exploring an area where nothing in particular happens while the party goes to the Plot Room and face its Monster. Since they're a party member down they are having difficulty so Jerkface has to come back to "save them again".
    To be fair, in this case, it's the party's fault for letting jerkface wander off alone.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I actually had a player who insisted on staying behind when the rest of the party returned to their ship.

He stayed behind. Alone. In a forest that hey knew had a dragon that was angry at him.

It ended about as well as you'd expect.

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show

He got kidnapped by an Ethereal Doppelganger.
    Last edited by ColorBlindNinja; 2019-01-15 at 10:45 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

It does not bother me when my friend decides that his or her character will defend mine with superior abilities. And that's what playing an optimized character means.

It does not bother me when my friend is excited about playing a specific idea, even if it costs him or her power. And that's what playing an under-powered character means.

It ... doesn't bother me when my friends want to have fun. It just doesn't.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

It's the people who do stuff like pick fighter 20 when other people are playing tome of battle classes
    There's nothing wrong with that if you know what you're doing. Not being a warblade doesn't mean you have no access to maneuvers.

and pick stuff like 10 different weapon focuses when they only use one weapon the whole game.
    That, however, is just silly.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

22. - Top - End - #112

RangerGuy

I have only seen one person play a Tier 1 class to its full potential. I don't think anyone will play with them anymore. So generally it is not a problem.
    A slightly bigger problem has been poor players playing Tier 3 classes and complaining that they can't do anything. While in that same game I was playing a straight fighter and having fun.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

23. - Top - End - #113

RedWizardGuy

Seems like most people don't care much about T1 classes, so I'll play devils advocate and provide a dissenting opinion.

As a player that prefers martial and skill-monkey characters, I wouldn't say that I get upset when people want to play a T1 class, but I do often feel something like dismay that my entire build could be rendered redundant accidentally. For example, was playing a pirate themed campaign and one of my friends wanted to play druid. The group was aiming for T3 on average, but she pointed out that she was an inexperienced player and taking an un-optimized race with a level adjustment so it would probably be fine. Even while roleplaying, choosing thematic spells, and not min-maxing at all, she still regularly solved encounters of all kinds with a single first level or even 0-level spell.

An inexperienced player with an unoptimized build who was a good player (in the sense of roleplaying and being a good sport) playing a T1 class still outshone the rest of our (decently optimized) T3 party by accident, so yeah I am pretty wary of T1 classes.
    Could you please be more specific about what encounters have been solved with 1-st level and 0-level spells?
    I just started an adventure with a 2th level druid in a group with a cleric and tier 4 characters (fairly optimized though), I haven't done anything yet, but i have the impression that any tier 4 could destroy me easily in combat. I'm unoptimized, without an animal companion (in pathfinder you can trade AC for a cleric domain), my spell routine includes commune with birds and charm animal (that in the right situation could actually solve an encounter, but are situational at best).
    BTW, even among tier 1 classes, druids have a special place. They cannot be over-optimized as a wizard could, but they don't fall with under-optimization, they are still able to do anything regardless of feats and stats.
    Last edited by Selion; 2019-01-17 at 04:30 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selion View Post
    Could you please be more specific about what encounters have been solved with 1-st level and 0-level spells?
    I just started an adventure with a 2th level druid in a group with a cleric and tier 4 characters (fairly optimized though), I haven't done anything yet, but i have the impression that any tier 4 could destroy me easily in combat. I'm unoptimized, without an animal companion (in pathfinder you can trade AC for a cleric domain), my spell routine includes commune with birds and charm animal (that in the right situation could actually solve an encounter, but are situational at best).
    BTW, even among tier 1 classes, druids have a special place. They cannot be over-optimized as a wizard could, but they don't fall with under-optimization, they are still able to do anything regardless of feats and stats.
    Any animal based encounter can be solved with charm animal, many survival based encounters involving hunger and exposure can be overcome with endure elements and goodberry, outdoor encounters can be trivialized with entangle, speak with animals can trivialize investigations where an animal happened to witness an event, and that's just off the top of my head.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Seems like most people don't care much about T1 classes, so I'll play devils advocate and provide a dissenting opinion.

As a player that prefers martial and skill-monkey characters, I wouldn't say that I get upset when people want to play a T1 class, but I do often feel something like dismay that my entire build could be rendered redundant accidentally. For example, was playing a pirate themed campaign and one of my friends wanted to play druid. The group was aiming for T3 on average, but she pointed out that she was an inexperienced player and taking an un-optimized race with a level adjustment so it would probably be fine. Even while roleplaying, choosing thematic spells, and not min-maxing at all, she still regularly solved encounters of all kinds with a single first level or even 0-level spell.

An inexperienced player with an unoptimized build who was a good player (in the sense of roleplaying and being a good sport) playing a T1 class still outshone the rest of our (decently optimized) T3 party by accident, so yeah I am pretty wary of T1 classes.
    I can't help thinking that the DM may have been tossing some bones her way for being new. Of the T1s, the druid is least able to consistently step on toes of anybody but a dedicated bruiser., particularly at early levels.

I'm with Selion in wanting to see some elaboration, it you'd be so kind?
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

26. - Top - End - #116

RedWizardGuy

Any animal based encounter can be solved with charm animal, many survival based encounters involving hunger and exposure can be overcome with endure elements and goodberry, outdoor encounters can be trivialized with entangle, speak with animals can trivialize investigations where an animal happened to witness an event, and that's just off the top of my head.
    Yeah, in wildness a druid is pretty much insuperable, i know, but it's more like a class feature, i wouldn't complain that. In a trap filled dungeon a rogue would be more useful.
    The issue is that an average druid can fill her slots with blasts or fight in wild shape and be useful even in a dungeon, but this doesn't happen at early levels (at least pathfinder nerfed a lot polymorph spells, so that a druid that doesn't invest in wild shaping is squishy like hell in animal form).
    Investigation can be trivialized, but at high levels there are magic countermeasures and often diplomacy has less risks than enchantment.
    As DM, i had a party APL 12 disguised to infiltrate to a ceremony, they could use either magical or mundane disguise. In the ceremony there were a priest with true seeing, had they chosen magic they would have discovered instantly.
    BTW i won't deny there are problems, I think that around level 10 the DM should work a little to balance things with magic items, and a fair tier 1 player should give up actively the spotlight to other characters occasionally, EG using her spells to buff the group (nobody ever complained about the cleric healing the party).

27. - Top - End - #117
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    I now want an interplanar craigslist spell. Post general parameters and proposed payment, DM rolls to see if there are any available outsiders willing and able to take it. Sure, maybe you get a slaad when you wanted an elemental, but there is no coercion step.
    Closest I've seen to that is the Dragon Ally spells, either in Draconomicon or Dragon Magic (they blur in my mind).

You call a dragon to your aid within certain parameters of what you can call (from memory the main one is HD), and the dragon will demand payment once the thing you desire it to do (if it agrees to it) is over. Presumably until you pay the dragon it sort of just hangs around threatening you or outright attacks you if it looks like you're not going to pay.

Wouldn't be too hard to modify that spell to be an extraplanar thing.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

28. - Top - End - #118
    Firbolg in the Playground

Who said the party was actually being idiots?
    Oh, well, that's a different issue, then.

So, you don't have a problem with the "calling the party idiots for needing to be saved from their actions (again)" part, so much as the "is the one who actually caused the problem in the first place" part?

Also, I kinda agree with the snarky comment about "it's the party's fault for going off alone". If I've got a court date, and my buddies don't wait for me, and get in trouble that they knew that they wouldn't have had if I were along, I'ma call them out on their questionable behavior. Similarly, if the GM / module is the foolishly inflexible "whole party CaS balance point", where every encounter absolutely requires the whole party or else TPK, well, it's kinda dumb to force that TPK (again), isn't it?

Don't get me wrong, I've seen players who seemed bound and determined to make things bad, and I've seen characters who seemed designed to be, um, if "the load" has 0 value, what do you call someone who has negative value? Anyway, I've seen characters who were bound and determined to be actively detrimental to the party.

Just wanted to clarify that that's what we're talking about, because, what I initially read you to say, I couldn't see why you'd be upset about it.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I know that so many people have mixed opinions about it, so I'm asking you do you get upset when other players want to play a Tier 1 Class? (Wizard, Cleric and Druid.)
    Why would anyone get angry at another player playing a powerful character? As long as they're not a spotlight hog, all it does is help the party.

My current group, I literally want to strangle one of my oldest friends. He is so far below optimal it's infuriating. It wouldn't be that bad if HE weren't the one constantly complaining about it. He's sorcerer 16. No PrCs, literally only blasting spells. Has Leadership, but is doing absolutely nothing with it, and to top it off, the entire table has been trying to get him to multiclass since level 8, and I have personally, repeatedly, done hours of reading to give him options for prcs after getting him to consider it, only to have him reneg on even considering it when I go to talk to him about it.

That's something to be mad about.
    Last edited by DwarvenWarCorgi; 2019-01-17 at 12:08 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Oh, well, that's a different issue, then.

So, you don't have a problem with the "calling the party idiots for needing to be saved from their actions (again)" part, so much as the "is the one who actually caused the problem in the first place" part?

Also, I kinda agree with the snarky comment about "it's the party's fault for going off alone". If I've got a court date, and my buddies don't wait for me, and get in trouble that they knew that they wouldn't have had if I were along, I'ma call them out on their questionable behavior. Similarly, if the GM / module is the foolishly inflexible "whole party CaS balance point", where every encounter absolutely requires the whole party or else TPK, well, it's kinda dumb to force that TPK (again), isn't it?

Don't get me wrong, I've seen players who seemed bound and determined to make things bad, and I've seen characters who seemed designed to be, um, if "the load" has 0 value, what do you call someone who has negative value? Anyway, I've seen characters who were bound and determined to be actively detrimental to the party.

Just wanted to clarify that that's what we're talking about, because, what I initially read you to say, I couldn't see why you'd be upset about it.
    If a player Honest True is about to do something stupid of course warn him and advise against it. When a DM asks "Are you sure?" the response should always be "No, never mind. I don't do that."

It's about the player's attitude. It's the player who plays the game despite the other players, not with them, who's the Jerkface Donkey Cavity with a neck I want to wring. Common symptoms are being the Lone Wolf and/or constantly passing secret notes to the DM even when his character is with the party. When he interacts with party members he's arrogant and condescending. He's quite amused by whatever complication another player has to deal with, sitting there with a smile on his face. Some won't help, some do. It's those who do who pompously declare they have to save the party again.