Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Let's Play: A Midsummer Nights Choice

704. No using my hideously low Charisma to get the villain to do the opposite of what I suggest. (Things Mr Welch can no longer do in an RPG)

So...
    I know exactly what to do!
    Time to deploy confusion-fu!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Confusion powers: Activate!

I'll confuse him until he leaves.

SKILL TEST: ARTISTRY+WIT: PASS

Quote Originally Posted by Midsummer
    You close the adjoining door silently, and then turn to the guard.

"What are you doing?" you say to the guard in mock horror.

"I may well ask the same of you," he says, gently.

"Are you spying on me?" you cry, a look of outrage on your face.

"But, my lady…were you not intruding on the privacy of the Duke?"

"And so you teach me not to spy by spying? Do you fancy yourself a spymaster? Tell me, guard, are you or are you not a spymaster?"

"I…what?"

"Return to your duties at once!" you say. "Are you quite mad?" The guard backs out to the hall, bowing and apologizing the whole way.
    NOBILITY: 28 [+8]

Now let's get back to listening in.

You then crack open the adjoining door again and resume your observations. Father looks frustrated and weary as he puts aside a stack of documents.

At the foot of the bed is a man in his fifties that you do not know. He is dressed well and is probably some noble visitor.

"You see, then, why this alliance is necessary," Father says dryly, wincing a bit as Doctor Nostrum takes some blood.

The stranger nods and sighs. "I do, Your Grace, and the honor is mine."

He makes a deep bow with an elaborate hand twirl.

"And yet Robin may object and create a fuss. She can be willful," Father sighs.

"Ah, but surely she can be made to see what would be best for all."

Father snorts. "Very well, then. I shall call Robin in, that I may instruct her as to her duty." Father then coughs deeply and productively.
    ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: CURIOUS. You heard all of father's meeting.

So I suppose this man is our suitor. Father intends to go to war with our neighbor and is thus securing an ally by marriage. The man is in his 50s. I'm going to say that our heroine is probably in her mid-to-late teens. Let's assume that she is of age of consent for her culture and so this is not pedophilia but just really ew-worthy. Especially if you're the young lady being handed over to an elderly man like so much baggage.

He will "instruct us as to our duty", will he? Father isn't winning points with me. :angry:

After some time, the guard calls out, "Lady Robin, His Grace the Duke is prepared to see you now."

He opens the door for you, and you enter to see a very concerned-looking Doctor Nostrum carefully swirling a flask of what you can only assume is Father's urine. He wafts the aroma towards his nose and inhales deeply.

Doctor Nostrum sighs and makes a few notes in the margin of your father's horoscope. "I am afraid, Your Grace, that your humors are wholly imbalanced. You have become increasingly choleric, and your phlegm—well, your phlegm is just dreadful! Your fistula does not appear to be improving. Indeed, quite the opposite. You simply must rouse yourself from this bedchamber and take some healthful waters in a wholesome locale."

Father waves him off, coughs a few times, shifts uncomfortably on the bed, and says, "Enough, enough, Doctor. I know that I am not long for this world. It is for this reason that I have called Robin to me now." He turns to you with a raised eyebrow.

"You were very late, I understand. Well? What do you have to say for yourself?"

Vote 12:
    12A) I meet Father's gaze steadily and make no excuses.
    12B) I change the subject by trying to engage him in stimulating conversation.
    12C) I try to act innocent.

A fistula , by the way, is an extremely agonizing condition. Father is in serious pain all day, every day, in a world where pain medication is nearly unknown save for alcohol. Something to bear in mind as to why he is so bad-tempered. He is not fully himself. Maybe we will find some way to solve that?

At any rate ... I'm afraid I need to take a week off, because next week is my anniversary and I am going on vacation. While I may have a chance to go online, the earliest I can guarantee with a high degree of certainty is Monday, 4 February, 2019 (Monday of the week after next) . Please have your votes in by 5:00PM Eastern on that day.

I apologize, but I'm probably only going to have a 25th anniversary once! See you then!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2019-01-25 at 05:41 PM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

It isn't exactly a crime
    But let's waste no more of his time
    With lies or excursions
    For other diversions
    (So option A then. And in rhyme!)

Happy anniversary!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

While I'd most often concur with Tom,
    Robin got her WIT from her mom,
    so to honor that memory
    she'll go with option B.
    (Because slant rhymes are always the bomb)

Also, happy anniversary!
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

5. - Top - End - #35

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    While I'd most often concur with Tom,
    Robin got her WIT from her mom,
    so to honor that memory
    she'll go with option B.
    (Because slant rhymes are always the bomb)

Also, happy anniversary!
    Thank you! :)

We have a tie between A and B so I'll roll it off.

A: 72
    B: 36

So : Straight out honesty is what we're going for.

However, I think it necessary to show what might have been, on the other path:

Quote Originally Posted by What if? Wit path
    "Ah, Father," you say. "I was recently reading the dramatic works of Seneca. His Latin is so much less fine than that of Horace. Schoolmaster Licio suggested to me that I skip lightly over Seneca, and instead study with him the Ars Amatoria of Ovid, as being both a nobler Latin and a worthier subject. What think you?"
    Needless to say, that would have impressed him no end.

Let's move on to the chosen path.

I meet Father's gaze steadily and make no excuses.

SKILL TEST: COURAGE: FAIL.

You try, but fail to meet Father's gaze, so you simply clamp your mouth shut, refusing to defend your decision to have fun this morning.

"Impertinence!" Father cries, making a sudden violent gesture and nearly knocking the flask of urine out of Doctor Nostrum's hands. "You dare brave me to my face in this manner? You should humbly beg forgiveness; save your silence for moments when I have not addressed you! Now listen carefully to me, young imp."
    MERRIMENT: 28 [+8]
    FATHER: FURIOUS: 67 [+8]

Okay, let's here what he has to say.

Father pauses, and a wave of pain passes over his face. Doctor Nostrum clucks and administers a poultice to his forehead, slowly shaking his head and pursing his lips.

"My child," Father says, warming to his lecture. "You must, above all else, be admired by your subjects. You must learn to act with grace and polish. And you must learn to maneuver in complex social situations: first observing, and then speaking and behaving in precisely the right way to create the effect you desire. A well placed word can transform an enemy into a friend, but a poorly aimed word can do quite the reverse. Suppose you were the guest of a powerful landed commoner with pretensions to minor nobility. Let us say this commoner asked you for the honor of a dance.

Vote 13:
    How would you respond?

13A) "Like this." I show him a few dance steps that end with me tripping and falling over.
    13B) "I would declare war at once."
    13C) "I would pretend I didn't understand the question, and when the opportunity arose, I would sneak away."
    13D) "I would laugh at the presumption of the offer." I demonstrate the laugh at some length

Since the question is deliberately aimed at Father's strongest point -- our weakest point -- all answers fail. Record it, and we'll continue.

Father looks horrified. "No, no, no!" he says. "This is terrible." He shakes his head and looks almost sorry for you.

"Truly, I blame myself. This is what comes of you spending far too much time with Prenzie. I insist your close association come to an end. Truly, how could I expect you would be other than a fool, when you spend your days learning from a fool?"

You begin to protest, to defend Prenzie, but Father raises his hand. "That is not why we are here today. We are here to discuss your immediate future. The world is changing, and our duchy is in peril. But I assume you are willfully ignorant of the larger world around you. I suppose you have no idea why I have called you here?"

You try to look well-informed.

Vote 14:

14A) "…the bandit situation in the forest."
    14B) "…the tension with Lower Fogsworth."
    14C) "…the recent visit from the ambassador."

Have your votes in by Wednesday, 6 Feb, 5 PM , and let's see if we can't make dear ol' Dad drop dead of apoplexy!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

6. - Top - End - #36

To WAR! (sarcastically)
    The bandits! (bombastically)
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Dancing (Although I'll surely look absurd)
    Bandits? (Concealing what I've overheard)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

If I were to impress then I'd get jiggy with it.
    Are we discussing the ambassador's recent visit?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Although my dance steps may not impress,
    Of what I can do, they are the best.

The ambassador's visit I've overheard,
    Perhaps that would cause a stir?
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Gone fishing, 7/23-7/27. Posting may be slow or nonexistent

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #40

Planetar

We are going to try to dance, and we have a roll off between bandits and the ambassador's visit.

bandits = 50
    ambassador = 62

So we'll tell him we think this is about the ambassador's visit.

So ...we pretend to dance, trip and fall over.

ARTISTRY: 39 [-4]

It seems there was a penalty associated with whichever choice we took. Sneaky author :(.

So, let's talk about the ambassador.

Father raises his hand. "That is not why we are here today. We are here to discuss your immediate future. The world is changing, and our duchy is in peril. But I assume you are willfully ignorant of the larger world around you. I suppose you have no idea why I have called you here?"

You try to look well-informed.

"Surely you mean…

... The recent visit of the ambassador.

I noticed that the Ambassador from Lower Fogsworth was here, and he did not seem to be bearing good news."
    No stat change this time.

"I noticed that the Ambassador from Lower Fogsworth was here, and he did not seem to be bearing good news."

Father looks briefly impressed, and he nods. "Very good. If you are as informed as you seem to be, then you must also be aware that although our duchy is strong, our treasury is…limited at this time, thanks to the depredations of the forest bandits. We must knit an alliance with one who can help us to fill our coffers, that we might meet the threat of Lower Fogsworth."
    So far so good.

"Does this have to do with the old man who was in here? Is he hiding in here somewhere? Is this going to be a marriage proposal? Father, you cannot! You must not!"

Father opens and shuts his mouth a few times. "How…did you…have you been spying on me?" Father's face turns crimson. He tries to get out of bed, but collapses back, sweating and panting. "Very well, very well! I am…impressed. And since you know already what I am about to break to you, you have had time to conform yourself to my plan."
    FURIOUS: 70 [+3]

The key thing to spying is not to admit to it. Father's anger meter keeps going up. I wonder what happens when it hits 100?

At any rate, let's meet our suitor.

"Come out, Lord Penderghast," Father wheezes. "It is time to speak to Robin about the matter we discussed earlier."

From behind the dressing screen, the old man you saw earlier steps slowly out and nods to you.

"I am honored to meet you. I am Lord Penderghast." He approaches you and creakily offers you a bow with a lot of flourishes, lifting your hand to his lips for a very wet kiss. This close you can see the wrinkles on his face. His lips are slightly abrasive to your hand.

"My lady," he says. "My dulcet dove. This is so unexpected, so unlooked-for, to have the chance to woo you for my own. How does the poem go? Ah, yes: 'Come live with me and be my love.' I shall be a most attentive husband to you." He devotes some more attention to your hand before you manage to extract it.

Um. Well. I guess as the narrator I should let you readers react to that.

Father clears his throat. "This alliance between our house and House Penderghast is of utmost importance. House Penderghast is old and well-respected, and very…well-off, let us say."

You don't say anything, so Father continues.

"War is coming, child. Lower Fogsworth will soon invade. And I assure you that without this alliance to House Penderghast, Upper Fogsworth will have great difficulty defending ourselves. Lord Penderghast is the last Penderghast, and a crucial ally. He, struck with love for you, has promised to share his considerable fortune with us in exchange for this marriage."

Lord Penderghast smiles and offers you a look intended to convey passion, but which instead resembles indigestion. "And perhaps," he says, "together we may make a new Penderghast."
    Nope. Gotta react now.

*Begins groping for a taser, or perhaps pepper spray*.

Question 15: Father turns to you. "Well, what say you, child? Will you submit to me and marry as I choose? I want you wed at once."

15A) Make up an excuse, claiming that I am already promised to someone else.
    If we do make up an excuse, what is it? Have we fallen in love with...
    15A.1) "…a young and attractive courtier, who intends to make a fortune in the colonies."
    15A.2) "…a distant relation of the Emperor himself who I have fallen desperately in love with."
    15A.3) "…an exotic and wealthy foreigner who has entranced me with tales of bold adventure."

15B) Voice my strong opposition.

15C) I try to get them to feel sorry for me.

Oh, yes. Here are some additional choices under the "excuse" heading which we won't get because our artistry is high enough to permit a convincing one:

Quote Originally Posted by Excuses not used
    15A.4) "…a mysterious master thief who lives below the city. The Masked Shadow has, among other things, stolen my heart."
    15A.5) "…an impoverished scion of House Adas. It's a little-known barony. They need to borrow money from us, by the way."
    15A.6) "…Red Slaughter, a barbarian from the Northland. Together, we shall lead the horde to victory against the Elk Tribe."
    15A.7)"…a poor but honest swineherd who lives in a leaky straw cottage, with twelve sickly children from a previous marriage."
    Personally, I like Red Slaughter myself.

He picks up a cup of watered wine from his tray and begins to drink, as you ponder your response.
    Let us have your response by Friday, 8 Oct, 5 PM EST. A pity that "invite the old man to perform an anatomically impossible act" is not in the list of choices.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

11. - Top - End - #41

Their once was a lord Penderghast
    Whose time for mating was log past,
    But he's such an old creep
    That I will not lose sleep
    In breaking the meter to make it clear that I will stab him in the eye with a quill if he tries anything "funny".

15B)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

To marry or not to marry, that is the question.
    Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the creepy old men
    Or to take arms against a sea of suitors
    And by opposing end them

15B

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #43

Planetar

All right, we're going to object strongly!

SKILL TEST: COURAGE: FAIL

"No, Father, no! It is not fair! It is not fair!" You intended to sound strong, but your voice is plaintive and shrill. "I will not! I cannot! Please, please, please, no!"

Father looks startled. "How dare you come to my sickbed, and whine to me in front of our noble guest? If I thought you could do so in a mature manner I would insist that you apologize. For decency's sake, compose yourself at once. No true child of mine would act in this unbecoming manner."

You turn, fling open the bedchamber door, and run out.

It would have been a strong exit, had you not tripped on the door jamb and banged your shoulder against the door frame. As you run to your bedroom, you suddenly snap your fingers and almost turn back.

What you should have said was, "No true father of mine would treat me with such disrespect." You shake your head in annoyance. It would have been such a good comeback.
    MERRIMENT: 35 [+7]
    FATHER'S FURY: 76 [+6] .

Suggestion.

That's the second time we've failed a courage test in as many sessions. If we're going to go this route, we should probably think about raising the courage stat. Otherwise we're going to have to find other solutions that don't involve challenging people directly, even if they go against our own grain.

So ... we've been sent to our room, presumably without any supper.

Horrified by Father's demand, and knowing you don't have much time, you walk as quickly as you can through the palace to your quarters.

Your head is filled with wild plans and things you should have said. But he would not have listened.

You open the door to your sitting room, usually your place of safety. But nothing feels safe any more.

Vote 16: What does your sitting room look like?

16A) It's luxurious: full of rich woods, exotic rugs, and expensive decorations.
    16B) It's immaculately organized. The closet is organized by color, and carefully alphabetized within each color subgroup.
    16C) It's bright and airy: the walls are decorated with murals, and the windows are designed to let in a lot of light.
    16D) It's a mess. There are dishes everywhere, clothing tossed over chairs, and half-finished projects lying abandoned.

After we've defined our room, we've got to think about how we're going to get out of this predicament.

Your room is exactly the way you like it. And the thought of having to leave it behind and share your living space with that old ${pen_sex} is not a happy one. You close the door and lock it.

Vote 17:

17A) I sit down and logically think through my predicament.

17B)I go to the window, look out at the world, and speak poetry.
    FOLLOW-UP:
    What kind of poetry will you speak?
    17B.1) A sonnet in the Italian style.
    17B.2) Some couplets.
    17B.3) Nothing too complicated. Just some blank verse.

17C) I write a letter to a friend, imploring them for aid.

Good luck! We'll see how it goes Monday, 11 Feb, 2019, 5PM EST . See you then!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Whoops.

Anyway
    my room is light and airy
    With pictures in paint and in ink:
    But bad poetry's for the metagame;
    I'm going to sit down and think

15. - Top - End - #45

I wanted to be more creative about the poetry thing, but free verse is king of cheating and I know few other types of short poetry other than limerick and haiku.

From my bright room I
    write: "Help me [TBD] you
    are my only hope"

I want to max out that Enchantment, especially because we have a low Charm. Plus, allies are always nice.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Light is good, as is often said
    I'll lie in thought upon my bed.

16C
    17A

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

I thought the maid would clean this place because that's not my job
    Fifteen there were before her, but they all quit - those snobs
    It really is a mess in here, but my problem that is not
    If the new maid doesn't tidy up, she'll be in quite the spot

Now where's my quill amidst this mess, I thought I left it thence
    I've a letter to write to my good friend about this lively mess
    Perhaps in ink my thoughts will quell the onset of my tears
    And bring clarity to these plans of father, all my fears

16D,17C
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

18. - Top - End - #48

Planetar

So we have a bright and airy room, and we are going to think through our predicament.

"It's bright and airy: the walls are decorated with murals, and the windows are designed to let in a lot of light."

You feel that life needs to be beautiful. Your room reflects this.
    We sit down and logically think through our predicament.

Surely Father cannot force you to wed. Can he? You have read of young men and women dishonored, disowned, imprisoned, and even threatened with execution for rejecting their father's preferred suitor, but surely that is just in stories.

Father would never go that far, would he? Perhaps there is some legal loophole you can take advantage of? But you have no time.

Grimly, it dawns on you that Father's honor is at stake, and he will not relent. But you are his daughter through and through, and you, too, will never relent.

"Never!" you cry.
    WIT: 46 [ + 6]

We gain some points for rational thinking. Cool!

You hear a throat clearing, and Prenzie looks out from behind the high-backed chair he was sitting in.

"Never?" he asks. "You seem very sure about that."

"Prenzie!" you say. He is holding a pen in his hand, and he tosses a crumpled paper to the floor. "What are you doing?"

Prenzie sighs and taps the pen loudly on a table. "Nothing at all. Specifically, I'm not getting anywhere with writing something funny for tonight's performance. Say something funny. No? This is going to be a truly miserable show tonight. Come, let us be miserable together."

You smile in spite of your own tragic situation.
    Ah, Prinzie. Always a light in a dark place.

"I won't ask how you are," Prenzie says, sighing. "I could hear the shouting from across the palace. Naturally you must not marry Penderghast."

"But how can I avoid it?"

"We'll simply have to convince your father somehow. I saw a play about this once. I think we need to pretend you are dead. Wait a moment. Actually, that didn't end up too well for the young lovers involved. Never mind."
    No, we are not going to commit suicide in a crypt, dashing as you are

There is a knock on your door, and you startle. Could that be Father's guards, coming to fetch you already?

"Who is it?" you call.

"It's Morgan! Let me in, Robin!"

You open the door and see Morgan standing there, looking worried.

Morgan is a rising new courtier in your father's court, and you two have become good friends over the past few months.
    Okay, for the rest of this we're going to be defining Morgan, a potential love interest.

Vote 18: Is Morgan a dashing young man or an elegant young woman?

18A) Dashing Young Man
    18B) Elegant Young Woman

Remember that love interest may be of either sex, so choosing the same sex does not necessarily preclude romantic involvement.
    Next up:

Vote 19: Morgan first came to Father's court several months ago. How did you meet?
    19A) Morgan noticed me buying some strange things at the local apothecary.
    19B) I soundly thrashed Morgan in a game of tennis.
    19C) Morgan challenged me to a game of chess.
    19D) We were seated next to each other at a ceremony in honor of the Lord Mayor.

Now ... is this person a love interest, or just a friend?

Vote 20: Since you met, you and Morgan have found yourself spending a good deal of time together. Do you think there could be more than just friendship here?
    A) No, not at all.
    B) I really don't know.
    C) There's definitely a possibility there.
    D) Very much so, and I've tried to let Morgan know how I feel.

And there's a final check ...

Vote 21: What do you like best about Morgan?

21A) Morgan's loyalty to me and Father.
    21B) Morgan's willingness to challenge me when Morgan thinks I am wrong.
    21C) Morgan's sense of humor.
    21D) Morgan's willingness to sit and talk to me.
    21E) Morgan's eyes.

That should just about finish defining our new friend. Rest assured, even if we friendzone Morgan now, we can strike up a romantic attachment later, though of course it will be a little harder.

Have your votes in by Wednesday, 13 Feb 2019 , 5 PM EST and we will set about making our daring escape!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Good sir Morgan.
    Clever man yet fighting fit
    Armed alone with rapier wit
    He conquerered my heart.

We sat together
    At the ceremony knelt
    If I had but told you
    How I truly felt.

18A
    19D
    20D
    21C

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #50

Planetar

We have voted to define Morgan thus:

18A
    19D
    20D
    21C

So it shall be done!

Morgan is ...

18A) A young man.

ather very much approves of Morgan; he comes from a good family and is a far more acceptable companion for you than Prenzie.

Morgan is the very picture of a fashionable gentleman. In keeping with the style for young male courtiers in Upper Fogsworth, his black hair is quite long. He wears a fine embroidered doublet and an outrageously expensive green velvet cape that you happen to know nearly bankrupted him. Morgan is the third son of a minor noble family. But instead of fortune hunting in The Newe Worlde, descending to mercantile efforts, or joining the clergy, Morgan's cleverness and reputation for loyal service reached the ears of your father, and he was invited to the palace.

He is starting to become a popular courtier, much sought after for his company, because he is expected to rise high in Father's favor.
    We met him 19D) We were seated next to each other at a ceremony in honor of the Lord Mayor.

You and Morgan spent almost the whole ceremony talking to each other, only briefly looking up at the pageant. When the performance ended, you and Morgan strolled back to the palace together, laughing about the stories of court scandal he told you. Since you met, you and Morgan have found yourself spending a good deal of time together.
    CHARM: 33 [+7]
    ARTISTRY: 36 [-3]

Is there something between us? By our vote, yes, yes there is!

Very much so, and I've tried to let him know how I feel.

You haven't been subtle in letting Morgan know that you have feelings for him. You hope he feels the same way.

You would not normally become friendly with one of Father's courtiers, but Morgan is only a few years older than you, and there is something about Morgan that makes you appreciate him as more than just another functionary around the court.

What do you like best about Morgan?
    Answer is 21C) His sense of humor.

You, Morgan, and Prenzie spend a lot of time together. The three of you are a common sight around court, strolling, laughing, and chatting. Father wishes you would spend your time in more serious pursuits and frequently instructs Morgan not to allow himself to indulge you in superficial leisure.

To keep Father happy, Morgan often has to take leave of you and tend to his various court duties.
    WIT: 51 [+5]
    FATHER'S FURY: 78 [+2]
    PRINZIE RELATIONSHIP: 46
    MORGAN RELATIONSHIP: 41

So Father doesn't like us joking around and we've made him even angrier. Wit is becoming our strongest card, while artistry has receded to a mid-level skill. But our charm has increased, so we're average at that as well.

Now that we've met Morgan, let the story continue!

Morgan bids you and Prenzie a good afternoon, glancing behind him toward the hall with a concerned look in his eyes. Prenzie rises, giving Morgan a deep mock bow with a flourish.

"To what do we owe the honor of this visit?" Prenzie asks.

Morgan enters the room and closes the door behind him. "I heard what happened, Robin. I do not know what to say. This is terrible, and I want you to know that I do not agree with it. If I had known about the Duke's plans, I would have counseled him against them."

"I would have counseled the Duke that way as well," Prenzie chimes in. Prenzie clasps his hands together and puts on a grave expression that looks so much like Morgan's that you can't help smiling.

Morgan sits across from you and looks worried. "The Duke's guards are already coming to fetch you, even now. What are you going to do?"
    Good question. What ARE we going to do about this forced marriage?

You look at Prenzie and Morgan, the only people at court you really trust. You know what you have to do. You have to run away. You look longingly out the window, to the forest.

"Father and Lord Penderghast will never find me in the forest. That is where I will go, and I will live there forever after," you say with resolution. "Come with me."

Prenzie nods immediately and throws down the pen he was holding. "Oh, thank merciful Jove. Now I won't have to write anything for the performance tonight."

"I thought you might decide that," Morgan says, "so I took the liberty of packing some dinner for you." He puts a small sack on the table. "Just cold meat pies and some fruit from last night's dinner."
    Well, it beats better than faking a death, though I'm not sure life as a forest outlaw would suit. Still , Prinzie seems on board with it.

"I will attend you in the forest as well," Morgan says, smiling at you. "I will do my best to delay any pursuers, and then meet you near the cracked rock that stands next to the tall sycamore tree. Don't worry, Robin—we will sort this out."

Morgan turns to leave the room, but you go over to him before he departs.
    Morgan will be joining us as well.

Vote 22:

22A) I step close to Morgan, look him in the eyes, and then kiss him for the first time.
    22B) I embrace Morgan closely.
    22C) I am visibly and charmingly perplexed about my feelings towards Morgan.
    22D) I shake Morgan's hand. "Thank you, Morgan. I appreciate your help."
    22E) I nod at Morgan and immediately turn to preparing.

After this touching (or not) scene...

Prenzie grins at you. "Right. What's the plan?"

Vote 23: How should you escape the palace?
    23A) I'll climb out the window.
    23B) I'll talk my way past the guard at the front door and walk right out.
    23C) I'll slip unnoticed past the guards, evading them expertly.

Music Cue!

We've gotta get out of this place
    If it's the last thing we ever do

Have your votes in by Friday, 15 Feb, 2019, 5PM EST and we'll shake the dust of this place off our feet!

... We hope.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2019-02-13 at 05:27 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Hug
    Talk
    Poem?

I leave the above abstract art piece to be interpreted by the viewer.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

To run away, to no more see
    A forgotten home and what might be
    To loving friend a last embrace.
    I cannot bear to see father's face
    Words are my weapon, and so the guard
    Will look away as I leave the yard.

22B
    23B

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

My Morgan, sweet nightingale
    My feelings for you rest behind a veil
    That even I cannot see through
    How I feel about you?
    I just don't have a clue.

Through the window, into night
    Perhaps we can escape this plight
    Into the forest, there we venture
    To escape this grim indenture

22C
    23A
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'll ride out the guard and talk to the gate,
    I'll then get my horse towards uncertain fate
    I think what I told you did not come out right.
    It must be because I kissed Morgan goodnight!

22A
    23B
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2019-02-15 at 11:37 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

22C (for though he's tasty
    It doesnt pay to be too hasty)

23B (Now we've embarked
    it's best to do so unremarked)
    Last edited by Mister Tom; 2019-02-15 at 03:32 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Planetar

Okay, we're going to embrace Morgan and then we're going to try to talk our way past the guard.

You throw your arms around him, holding him closely for a moment or two. Then you pull away, and Morgan raises an eyebrow at you. "We'll continue this conversation later," he says and departs.

You turn back around to see Prenzie practicing raising one eyebrow. "Are you quite done with hugging? Can we resume fleeing? Because I am quite ready to flee."
    MORGAN: 46 [+5]
    PRINZIE: 44 [-2]

Right. Fleeing. Okay, Mr. Guard, these are not the droids runaways you are looking for :waves fingers at his face: .

You and Prenzie walk confidently to the main hall, where Father's elite front door guard halts you. He is holding a very shiny axe, which he strokes lovingly as he accosts you.

"You there," says the guard. "Young Robin! I'm supposed to bring you to the Duke if I see you. You're wanted right away."
    SKILL TEST: CHARM: FAIL.

This is the moment when you should be offering some compelling lie, but the words fly right out of your head.

"I like your axe there," you say, to say something. "Why do you not carry a sword like the other palace guards?"

Officer Switzer's face darkens. "It's a halberd," he says through gritted teeth. "And it was given to me by the Duke in recognition for ten years of loyal service guarding this door. This door that you will not be going through. Come on. We're going upstairs."
    MERRIMENT: 41 [+6]

Uh-oh.

Vote 24: He reaches out to take your arm. You have to think fast…

24A) …I get him to talk about his weapon to distract him.
    24B) …I roll under his arm, trip him, and sprint out the door.
    24C) …I pretend to faint.

This escape is not going well. We've got another chance, though! See you Monday, 18 Feb 2019, 5PM EST as we try to find a way out of this desperate situation!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Well gubbins. My fault for confusing b and c. We won't make the forest at this rate will we?

clearly a talker I aint
    What will he do if I faint?

28. - Top - End - #58

I was so sure that two two c was a Wit test,
    but I guess I'll just play dead and hope for the best.

29. - Top - End - #59

Planetar

Okay, we swoon.

I pretend to faint.

SKILL TEST: ARTISTRY: PASS

You catch Prenzie's eye. It's time for the tactic of last resort. "When in doubt, pass out," is your motto. You hold the back of your hand to your forehead, say, "Alack!" and fall over backwards. Prenzie catches you with a practiced ease and lowers you to the floor. He begins to fan your face.

Officer Switzer tries to rouse you by prodding you in the ribs a few times with his halberd. When that fails, he runs to fetch aid. This is your moment. You leap up, and you and Prenzie tear off as quickly as you can. This won't buy you much time.
    NOBILITY: 35 [+7]

"When in doubt, pass out? "

I wonder if that is some kind of clue?

Never mind. Continue escaping!

Your head start lasts only a few minutes, as an alarm horn sounds from within the palace. You both tear across the palace grounds, knowing that pursuit is imminent. Of course, you have an advantage over the armored guards, as you hop over fences and climb trees to confuse any pursuers who may try to track you.

You pray that Morgan will find a way to slow any pursuit—but you can hear the howls of dogs and hunting horns very close behind you. Father must have sent the ducal huntsmen on you.

"We have to disguise ourselves," you say, panting. "And then we have to get into the forest."

Prenzie thinks for a moment, and then nods and leads you to an unused outbuilding on the outskirts of the palace grounds. You and Prenzie duck inside.

As you enter the building, you catch Prenzie's eye.

Vote 25: What happens next?

25A) I start laughing at how absurd this situation has become.
    25B) I get right to work figuring out what to do next.
    25C) I take Prenzie's hand for comfort.
    25D) I smile wryly at Prenzie and make a cynical comment.

That may adjust our stats and relationships, but it won't change the story. So what DOES happen after we make our reaction?

After a few moments, Prenzie turns to look around the small outbuilding.

The building is a small, somewhat mildewy shack that looks like nobody has ventured into it in a decade. The floor is covered in slightly sticky grime and sawdust.

"This is the building where that old theater troupe used to store their costumes and props before the stage collapsed and they were disbanded," He says. "Some of their costumes must still be in here. At least, they were last year."

Sure enough, under a moldy canvas, there is a crate of clothes.

For the time being, you'll have to leave behind your old identity as Lady Robin, heir to the dukedom, and go boldly forth into the forest with a new identity. You poke through the clothes, uncertain what would be best.
    Actor's stage costumes. Convenient!

As it turns out, there are only men's clothes here. You will have to disguise yourself as a man in the forest for the time being. And you will need a good disguise if Father has sent his best hunters after you.

Vote 26: You consider carefully. You will disguise yourself as…

26A) ... a burly village blacksmith.
    26B) ... a mendicant friar.
    26C) ... a scholarly academic.
    26D) ... an ancient Trojan warrior

Cross-dressing powers, activate!

Don't worry about your ability to physically carry the role; between the props here and Prinzie's artistic know-how each costume will be equally likely to succeed. *Playing* the role set by the costume means using your skills, of course.

Note that when you change clothes this will reveal a birthmark. This birthmark will impact your stats, raising some and lowering others.

Vote 27: My distinctive birthmark is...

27A) ... a crescent moon.
    27B) ... a dragon head.
    27C) ... a crown.
    27D) ... a snake.

Finally, we're going to need an alias, a "fake name", to complete our disguise.

Vote 28: My fake name will be...
    28A) Thersites
    28B) De Flores
    28C) Artegall
    28D) Hieronimo
    28E) I'll make up my own alias (can't be your real name, Morgan, or Prinzie).

With our disguise thus completed, we will then attempt to elude any pursuit and escape into the forest. after Wednesday , 20 Feb 2018, 5 PM EST , by which time I need your votes. Good luck!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2019-02-18 at 06:48 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

I, Thersities, by dragon marked
    Find this day quite a lark.
    A priest I am, and nothing more,
    As I escape to forest floor

25A, 26B, 27B, 28A

My Nexus characters