EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Let's Play: A Midsummer Nights Choice

Ruh roh. A is likely nobility- fail, and C courage- epic Fail. I can't see the capacity for merriment to help. So 90 B it is.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

So we have a tie between 90C and 90B.

90C - 79
    90B - 61

Axe time!

SKILL TEST: COURAGE: FAIL

Quote Originally Posted by Midsummer
    "Yes, yes," you say. "That's all well and good. But I think I know how to smash a throne."

And you snatch one of the axes off the wall and bring it down on the throne. "What are you…" the Faerie Queen shouts, as you raise the axe high and bring it down on the throne.

At least, you meant to bring it down on the throne. The axe is very heavy, and you stumble and twist around as you swing it. The Faerie Queene ducks under the blade, and you end up smashing a crystal candelabrum on an end table.

"what have you done!" cries the Faerie Queene. "That candelabrum represented his self-control and willingness to abide by the rules of civilized war!"

"I am sorry, I am sorry!" You try again for the throne, but now your arms are tired, and you narrowly miss the throne, instead destroying most of a tapestry.

"That was his sartorial taste! Give me that! You only make things worse!" She turns in alarm. "Your crude hackings have alerted him. We must depart at once. Truly, I blame myself. You were not ready." With a flash of light, you and the Faerie Queen are back in the forest and out of Father's mind.

"I am sorry…" you begin, but she cuts you off.

"No apology necessary. Magic is a fickle thing, and there will be time to learn. But we are now in a serious position; our meddling did us no good."
    MERRIMENT: 76[+2]

The battle is coming to its thrilling climax, as all manner of alarums and excursions fill the clearing. The moon begins to fade, as the very first rays of the sun make themselves known, although they have not yet peeked over the treetops of the clearing.

As the battle rages, one of the carts containing Father's spare bedding is knocked over, spilling dozens of pillows across the field. Before long, a furious pillow fight has broken out, as the Duke's guards realize that the pillows are just the right size and heft to knock a fairy out of the air. Laughing at the guards, the fairies cooperate to lift pillows of their own, and gleefully do battle with them. Feathers fly everywhere, and shouts of "Not in the head!" ring out.

The hand-to-hand pillow fighting is brutal, and no quarter is asked or granted.

Vote 91:

91A) I go where the fight is thickest, with no thought to my own safety.

91B) I aid where I can, but I keep my own safety foremost.

91C) I dive for cover.

Good luck! See you Monday, 3 Jun, 5 PM EDT!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm shocked! Well, not that shocked.
    91A

And damned be he who first cries "hold, enough"

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Agreed! 91A!
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

6. - Top - End - #216

Planetar

FRAY!!!

Oh, and also I saw this which I thought was funny.

Meanwhile, into the thick of things!

You grasp a pillow and, wielding it like a berserker, you lay about you in the press of battle, knocking the Duke's guards down with mighty swings. You suffer many buffets in the process, and although you have aided the Faerie Queene greatly, you emerge from the fracas the worse for wear. Your head rings with the blows you suffered.
    WIT: 45 [-4]
    COURAGE: 28 [-4]

The courage penalty represents the damage you took physically, which will make it harder to pass courage tests in the future. Also being hit in the head has not done your wit much good. But it did help the Queen's forces.

The Duke's guards draw together in tight, anxious clusters of weary soldiers, winded and sore. Their pillows are ready, but they are clearly unable to do much about the seemingly endless force of fierce fairy outlaws, who advance on the bed in an effort to capture Father.
    Victory soon, maybe...?

As the savage pillow fighting comes to a conclusion, you are knocked over from behind by the Maroon Knight, who is being attacked by none other than the magnificent fairy warrior, General Flickertoes.

"Sorry!" he says, giving you a hand up. He then snatches a discarded large shield from the ground and interposes it protectively in front of you both, as a protracted volley of enchanted pine cones rain down on you.

"I am on your side!" you cry.

"Oh, very well, very well. I grant that you are on our side, human though you are. Perhaps you are attempting to create some sort of diversion to aid me in my defeat of this knight," General Flickertoes says to you. "But no need! I am up to the task, and I aim for victory on my own. Do not interfere. And fear not. I will not harm you with my mighty onslaught, my ally."

You are less certain of your safety than General Flickertoes, so you stay behind the shield for the time being.

"I scoff at your attack!" the Maroon Knight says loftily.

"You can scoff more effectively if you come out from there!" General Flickertoes points out. "Shields are not fair!" But the Maroon Knight keeps the shield at the ready, knocking aside each of General Flickertoes' missiles.
    It's getting tight again, thanks to the Maroon Knight's skillful pillow-play.

As the Maroon Knight bats away missiles, he turns to you, conversationally.

"I grieve, Frederick, that you have chosen to fight against the Duke," he says. "It is most distressing. But I hope you will come in time to see the error of your ways, as I can tell that deep down you are a good and noble subject. Perhaps some day you can meet Lady Robin, who, I have no doubt, will inspire you to loyalty and devotion."
    You think...?

Before he can go on, a blast of amber magic strikes the shield, resounding as loudly and blindingly as a blast of lightning striking and demolishing a massive oak tree. The blast flings you and the Maroon Knight apart. Luckily, the large shield protected you from the brunt of the spell, but the Maroon Knight was thrown backward, his armor blackened and charred, and his helmet struck completely off, lying cracked in half nearby.

Sensing the Maroon Knight's vulnerability, General Flickertoes speeds towards him with a barbed and drugged pin-sword, in an attempt to remove him from the combat.

As if in slow motion, you take in the scene, seeing the Maroon Knight's face for the first time as he lies there insensible, recovering from the blast.
    Dun dun DUN!

As the Maroon Knight struggles and fails to get back to his feet, you are stunned to discover that the Maroon Knight is none other than the aged Lord Penderghast, the man that Father insisted that you marry, precipitating this entire venture in the forest!

You register the Maroon Knight's identity, even as you realize that General Flickertoes is about to strike a telling blow on him with his drugged darts.

Vote 92: What do you do?

92A) Tell General Flickertoes that the truly gallant thing to do would be depart without killing the Maroon Knight.

92B) I pretend to be the Faerie Queene in disguise, and order General Flickertoes to retreat.

92C) I throw myself in front of the Maroon Knight and take the blow for him.

92D) I do nothing, and simply look on silently as the Maroon Knight—Lord Penderghast—is subdued by General Flickertoes.

So now we know the Maroon Knight's secret identity but he doesn't seem to know ours. So ... do we bail him out or let him get clubbed pillowed into submission? Let me know and we'll decide his fate on Wednesday, 5 Jun 2019, 5 PM EDT!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Hmm, 92C I think.
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

We've borne the swings and feathers of outrageous fortune...

92A.

I love the cartoon. Is it by Chris Riddell? It's his style.

9. - Top - End - #219

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Tom View Post
    I love the cartoon. Is it by Chris Riddell? It's his style.
    I fear I can't say, though I admit I loved it also.

We have votes for 92c and 92a.

92c - 90
    92a - 84

We valiantly throw ourselves in front of the Maroon Knight in the hope of saving him!

General Flickertoes throws his head back and laughs to see the Maroon Knight helpless in front of him, and readies a drugged dart.

"No!" you scream, diving between General Flickertoes and the Maroon Knight…
    And...?

SKILL TEST: NOBILITY: FAIL.

You dive to cover The Maroon Knight, but—cursed be your instinct for self-preservation—you flinch at the wrong moment, and the drugged dart strikes true in the Maroon Knight's exposed neck.

He gasps once, clutches at his wound, and then collapses.

"Hmph," sniffs General Flickertoes, with satisfaction. "You were going to try to throw yourself in the path of my dart? How noble and self-sacrificing. Very nearly, anyway."

And with that, he flies speedily away.

You mournfully drag the unconscious Maroon Knight off the battlefield.

"I am sorry," you whisper, although he cannot hear you.
    MERRIMENT: 69[-7]
    COURAGE: 29 [+1]
    MAROON KNIGHT: 36 [-4]

Achievement: Failed Sacrifice
    You tried, and failed, to be gallant.

And so the Battle of the Bed comes to its end as the sun fully rises over the trees, and when the dust and the pillow feathers clear, you can clearly see that the Faerie Queene stands victorious!

The fairy outlaws prance around on the bed. Father's hands are tied together, more as a symbol of his defeat than anything else, and Father's belligerent spirit seems more humbled now. Doctor Nostrum is tied up as well, and several fairies laugh and empty out his medical bag for sport. The Duke's guards look on in woe, wondering what will become of their liege.
    The Queene has one, and now it is denoument o'clock!

You watch from a distance, near the edge of the clearing, musing about your experiences over the course of the battle.

You made the bold choice to fight on the Faerie Queene's side, and you helped her defeat Father. You don't know what will come next, but you are satisfied with the victory you helped to bring about.

You are musing on the fortunes of war when you are grabbed from behind and pulled roughly into the forest by a pair of very cold hands.

It is your snowy twin.
    Doesn't look like we tied her down tightly enough.

"Hello, Robin," she says sweetly. "Remember when you left me to rot, tied to a tree?"

You back away, but she circles around you.

"But I am made of snow. And you cannot tie snow down. Not for long, anyway. You would feel guilty killing me, would you not? You are so nice, Robin."

"What do you want?"

"I considered leaving, but I decided that I would rather wait until everyone's attention was occupied, and then dispose of you. Nobody wants you back, and you clearly did not appreciate your life in the palace. I would be a much better Robin than you. I already am, really."

"You cannot do that!"

"Now that the Duke has been defeated, the time of humans is swiftly drawing to a close. I am going to present myself to the Faerie Queene as you, the penitent child of the Duke. She will need a puppet mortal to plant on the mortal throne of the duchy. How fun it will be to watch your—our—Father's face as the Faerie Queene deposes him and replaces him with me? And how much mischief I could cause in a position of such power!"

Your snow twin laughs a silvery laugh, and a chill wind rattles the leaves.

"You are the impostor Robin," she says. "Not me!"
    This isn't looking good...

She advances on you, hands filled with a ghostly blue light, and you feel the warmth and life drain out of you.

Vote 93: At this desperate moment, weaponless and alone, how do you defend yourself from your twin and would-be replacement?

93A) The only thing to do with such a ridiculous evil plan is to laugh at it.

93B) Perhaps I can force her surrender with the manifest power that belongs to my aristocratic bloodline.

93C) I am far from defenseless. I call upon the forest to grant me enough magic to strike her with fire, melting her utterly.

You really need to make this one . Just sayin'.

And I'll see you Friday, 7 Jun, 2019, 5 PM EDT! Until then, have a great day!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Well, we'll just make use of our well honed stat of...

Oh.

Oh dear.

Well... we just Buffed enchantment and just failed nobility. So has to be 93C for me.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Agreed. Let's 93C our way out of this!
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

12. - Top - End - #222

Planetar

We're not going to use merriment, which is the "laugh at" option?

Well, if that's the way you want it...

I am far from defenseless. I call upon the forest to grant me enough magic to strike her with fire, melting her utterly.

SKILL TEST: ENCHANTMENT: PASS
    "Enough!" you cry. You concentrate and feel the forest respond to you as never before. This forest is your birthright, as much as the ducal palace, and the trees heed your demand for power, filling you with their ancient fairy magic.

"You dare to speak to me in such a disrespectful way?" you say, growing momentarily taller and brighter, power emanating from just under your skin. Your eyes, now just circles of blinding light, fix your snowy twin in place.

"How…who…?" she says, falling to one knee.

"Silence." It is not an order, but an observation, and the clearing quiets in anticipation. No birds sing to the rising sun, and the trees cease their rustling.

Your snowy twin looks at you in terror and anger as you raise one hand.

"Fire."

A gout of flame bursts from your snowy twin, and then, as she writhes and melts, her life is extinguished forever.

The sound returns, and your power recedes. You are yourself again.
    That... that worked?

: Picks up jaw from floor :

Well, I suppose it did. Congratulations!

You stand there for a moment, looking at your dead, melting twin on the ground, and then, without a word, you return to the clearing.
    Exeunt
    That's the end of the scene, and the end of the battle. So let us return to father's bed, where I expect the Queene will have everything under control.

It is with relief that you head back into the clearing. Your heart still pounds from your recent battle with your snowy twin, and you realize that you have escaped death at her hands only by grace and your own quick thinking.

As you approach Father's bed, you see that the fairy outlaws have disarmed the Duke's soldiers, most of whom have been tied together with slender, strong ropes. Prenzie stands on the side with the noncombatants, and he grins to see you, happy that you survived the battle. Morgan is helping with the prisoners: he ensures that the fairies do not taunt them overmuch.

The Faerie Queene, sitting in a bed of flowers strewn in the middle of the clearing and attended by General Flickertoes and Piccolita, looks every bit the victor. She nearly glows with otherworldly beauty and power as she addresses the Duke and informs him what the terms of surrender will be.

"Ah, my dear Frederick," says the Faerie Queene in silvery tones. "You, without whom none of this would be possible. My prize, my darling. Come. Sit by me, and we will speak of your reward for aiding me soon enough."

Vote 94: How do you respond?

94A) "The pleasure was mine, O Faerie Queene. I am your most humble servant, eager to serve you in whatever you deem fit."

94B) You nod seriously, your mind elsewhere. The battle has been won, but you are in no mood for idle words.

94C) "It was fun," you say. "I would do it again. Next time you go raiding, I will be there."

Suddenly, from out of the forest comes the shaggy form of Constable Growly. He holds a body in his arms, and he approaches the bed mournfully.

Then with infinite gentleness, he places the swiftly melting form of your snowy twin at the foot of the bed and raises his bear head respectfully.

The clearing falls silent.

"No!" cries Father, and he seems to age before your eyes, as he gazes at what he can only assume is his dead daughter at his feet. "Is this the promised end?" Even the Faerie Queene weeps and tears at her hair to see this dreadful sight.

"Who can cease to weep and look on this?" says Doctor Nostrum, shaking his head. He takes the dead wrist and holds it for a moment. "The blood no longer is quick, and her skin is clammy and cold. Alas, she is fled from this weary world."

The Maroon Knight falls to one knee, holding his head in his hands. "My love, my everything, my Maria," ${pen_he} says. "Farewell. You are among the angels now."

Morgan looks guilty and anguished, but Prenzie just looks perplexed, looking back and forth between you and the melting corpse.

A hasty grave is dug, and the melting body is laid out within, on a bed of cypress and willow branches.

"I think nobody is better suited to say a few words over the body of poor Maria than this wandering scholar," Prenzie says with a twinkle in his eyes. Everyone agrees and looks towards you.

Vote 95: What kind of funeral speech do you make?

95A) I make an tearful speech in which I make it clear that everyone is responsible, making everyone feel guilty and wretched.

95B) I keep the tone light, saying that Maria is in a better place.

95C) I blame the Duke for her death.

95D) I blame the Faerie Queene for her death.

95E) I smile mysteriously and announce that Maria isn't dead at all. Then I pause for dramatic effect.

Well, we're giving the speech at our own funeral . Make it good, and I'll see you Monday, 10 Jun, 2019, 5 PM EDT!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2019-06-09 at 07:41 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    We're not going to use merriment, which is the "laugh at" option?
    Well, shoot. Thought that was going to be wit. After all that...

Soliloquy time eh? Put me down for two " B"s (or not)
    Last edited by Mister Tom; 2019-06-08 at 02:41 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

94A, 95C are my votes
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

15. - Top - End - #225

Planetar

votes: 94b, 94a
    95b, 95c -

94b - 17
    94a- 31

95b - 34
    95c - 58

SO we're doing 94a and 95c. Sorry, Tom, the RNG hates you today

"The pleasure was mine, O Faerie Queene. I am your most humble servant, eager to serve you in whatever you deem fit."

"Oh, what a rare courtier we have here!" roars the Faerie Queene with laughter. "You need not use such words with me. I know your service well enough. I thank you and love you for it."
    CHARM: 66 [+3]
    FURY: 73 [+6]

Suddenly, from out of the forest comes the shaggy form of Constable Growly. He holds a body in his arms, and he approaches the bed mournfully.

Then with infinite gentleness, he places the swiftly melting form of your snowy twin at the foot of the bed and raises his bear head respectfully.

The clearing falls silent.

"No!" cries Father, and he seems to age before your eyes, as he gazes at what he can only assume is his dead daughter at his feet. "Is this the promised end?" Even the Faerie Queene weeps and tears at her hair to see this dreadful sight.

"Who can cease to weep and look on this?" says Doctor Nostrum, shaking his head. He takes the dead wrist and holds it for a moment. "The blood no longer is quick, and her skin is clammy and cold. Alas, She is fled from this weary world."

The Maroon Knight falls to one knee, holding his head in his hands. "My love, my everything, my Robin," he says. "Farewell. You are among the angels now."

Morgan looks guilty and anguished, but Prenzie just looks perplexed, looking back and forth between you and the melting corpse.

A hasty grave is dug, and the melting body is laid out within, on a bed of cypress and willow branches.

"I think nobody is better suited to say a few words over the body of poor Robin than this wandering scholar," Prenzie says with a twinkle in his eyes. Everyone agrees and looks towards you.
    I blame the Duke for her death.

You assume a tearful and angry look. "You!" you point to Father. "You are responsible for this tragic death."

"Me?" Father cries. He is angry at your accusation, but guilt and uncertainly pass over his face as well. The Faerie Queene begins to weep loudly.

"You forced poor Robin to run away from home. Had it not been for your petty demand that she marry according to your desire, she would be home now, happily enjoying the day. Instead, you chose to shout and enforce your will."

You turn to the crowd. "And so we bury poor Robin, a victim to her father's cruelty. Let us all bid her farewell and pray for the Duke's soul."

Father turns ashen with grief and anger, but says nothing, guilt racking him.
    FURY: 77 [+4]

"Enough of this!" shouts Constable Growly, breaking the moment. "How dare you! How dare you!"

He bounds next to you. "Here you stand speaking as if you yourself didn't murder Robin in cold blood! I arrest you in the name of the Duke and the Faerie Queene, and Justice, and everything!"

There is commotion and uproar, and Constable Growly shakes his head sadly, as if weeping at the corruption of the world.

"Well, you monster, who I once saw as a friend, what do you have to say for yourself?" Constable Growly says. "I was hiding in the trees, quite far up, and so I couldn't hear what you two spoke about or even see you both very well—that I grant you. But I know this: you had some kind of violent argument with Robin, and by the end of it, you were alive and she was cold and dead. I've never seen quite so clear a case of murder in all my years! How could you? What sort of villain are you? What can you possibly say to defend yourself?"

The crowd screams for vengeance.

Vote 96: How do you respond?

96A) Steadfastly deny everything.

96B) Launch into the exciting tale of how it came to pass that you killed your snowy twin.

96C) Beg for mercy.

Hopefully the Queen will speak up; surely she's the one who created the twin of snow?

Let's find out Wednesday, 12 Jun 2019, 5 PM EDT

See you then!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2019-06-10 at 06:00 PM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

The RNG and I have a love hate relationship.
    (Unlike our relationship with the Duke. Hope we don't need his favour for something any time soon...)

I doubt this does much, but 96A

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Agreed! 96A
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

18. - Top - End - #228

Planetar

96A it is! We steadfastly deny everything.

"You are wrong, dead wrong!" you say to the crowd. "Who are you going to believe, me, or the man in the bear suit? I killed nobody!"

"I saw it with my own eyes, or would have, if I'd had a better view," says Constable Growly. "And furthermore, I have reason to believe that you may not be who you claim to be. I suspect that you may not, in fact, really be a scholar after all, but a hired killer from Lower Fogsworth, sent to slay our beloved Duke's heir. You disgust me."
    COURAGE: 39 (+10)
    CHARM: 60 (-6)

Even as Prenzie attempts to fight through the crowd, Constable Growly holds you by the arm firmly, musing on how it would be best to execute you.

"There are a lot of options," he says. "It's difficult to know which would be best. I'm open to suggestions."

Vote 97: Well, how about ...

97A) "…drawing and quartering?"

97B) "…beheading?"

97C) "…defenestration?"

97D) "…boiling in oil?"

97E) "…not executing me at all?"

Hrm. It looks like I have to stop there. Step up the witty banter, and we'll get out of this scrape (if we can) Friday, 12 Jun 2019, 5 PM EDT! Hope to see you then!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

97C
    Because defenestration is the best kind of fenestration.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Gone fishing, 7/23-7/27. Posting may be slow or nonexistent

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

97C. Always wanted to visit Prague

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

97C - And he threw me out the window, the window, the second storey window...
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

22. - Top - End - #232

Planetar

We wanna go out the window!

Constable Growly sighs. "I would if I could. But…" He motions around him. "We would need a tall tower or the like. I suppose we could find a suitable location somewhere without too long a journey."

"Death to the traitor!" howls one of the shepherds, and the crowd echoes the call, even as Prenzie tries to declare your innocence and Morgan shouts above the crowd, trying to talk some sense into Constable Growly.

"No!" you shout, and suddenly pull away from Constable Growly with a sharp jerk.
    things are getting tense ...

With a loud tear, your left sleeve rips, exposing your shoulder and the distinctive snake birthmark upon it.

A silence falls over the clearing as Father gasps. "That is no scholar!" he shouts. "That is…"

"…my daughter," finishes the Faerie Queene softly. All eyes turn to the Faerie Queene.

The Faerie Queene, with tears still filling her eyes, but now with a dawning sense of recovery and hope, slowly uncovers her own left shoulder, revealing the snake birthmark upon it.

As if in a daze, she approaches you. "I do not know how it is possible. But you are my daughter, disguised though you may be! You are not dead at all!"

The Duke, too, wipes a tear away from his eye. "My dear Robin, could it possibly be true?"

Constable Growly lumbers over to the melting snow fairy in the grave and reveals her shoulder, which has no birthmark. "This was an impostor. A malevolent fairy who was attempting to masquerade as you, in all likelihood. Looks like I've solved this mystery." He seems very pleased with himself.
    We're ... we're the daughter of the Duke and the Faerie Queene? So THAT's where the magic power comes from.

Vote 98: What do you do at this most emotional of moments?

98A) Go to…Mother?…and embrace her.

98B) Go to Father and embrace him.

98C) Demand that Father and Mother embrace each other, and you, at once.

98D) Stand speechless in bewilderment.

98E) I swoon.

"Why are you my mother?" you say at last. "I thought my mother was dead!"

"Your father and I had a tryst in the forest years ago. And you are the result. I took care of you for a little while, but then I gave you to the Duke's ailing wife, who was unable to bear children. At the time, I thought—how foolish of me!—that I had no interest in raising a human baby. You cried all the time and wanted to sleep and such. It was really very annoying."

"You gave me away?" you ask.

"Of course," the Faerie Queene said. "What does a human baby mean to a fairy? But…in time, I came to regret my choice. I demanded you back. I had changed my mind, thinking it might be useful to have you, half-fairy that you are, to help me rule my court. However, your father refused. Ever since then, your father and I have been mortal enemies. He has tried to seize my forest, and I have organized my fairy outlaws to strike back at him."
    And so war .. over you! .. for decades.

Father starts to protest, but the Faerie Queene silences him with a glare.

"I have won this battle, and at last, you will learn that you do not get to decide what happens in my forest. Your refusal to return our daughter to me is intolerable, and finally, I will have the opportunity to punish your willfulness."

Smiling, the Faerie Queene turns to you. "You are my blood, and this forest, and the rule of it, is your birthright. I ask you—what would you suggest I do to your Father, who has never been kind to you, and to his soldiers, who invaded our forest so insolently?"

Vote 99:

99A) "I declare that there shall be joint rulership. The Faerie Queene shall rule the forest, and the Duke all the rest."

99B) ""A truce shall be made between the Faerie Queene and the Duke lasting ten years. The border between the forest and the rest of the duchy shall be a friendly border, and both fairies and humans may pass unmolested."

99C) "The Duke must swear fealty to the Faerie Queene and pledge his undying loyalty and subservience to her."

And one item more.

And so you have settled the terms of the Battle of the Bed to the best of your ability. There is just one more thing that nags at you. You turn to Father.

"Father, when did you first become bedridden? When did your fistula first begin to ail you?"

Doctor Nostrum interrupts. "Why, that was only a year or so after you were born," he says. "I remember. It struck so suddenly, and His Grace's humors have never been the same since."

"Yes," Father agrees. "It was soon after the Faerie Queene requested that I give you back, and I refused…what are you suggesting? You can't mean…"

"Mother," you say. "Did you enchant Father to make him ill?"

"Yes, I did," she said. "The fistula is my doing. A just punishment for his refusal."

Vote 100:

100A) "You must end the enchantment at once. I command it."

100B) "It would be nice of you to heal him now, in the spirit of joy, generosity, and goodwill."

100C) "I see." I wave my hand over Father and, with the magic that is my birthright, I attempt to end the enchantment.

You don't get the option of not healing him, but consider: Much of his surliness is due to his constant illness. This is pretty close to our last skill test. Good luck! Can you make a really happy ending?

Let's find out ! On Monday, 17 Jun 2019, 5PM edt !

See you then!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    [/color]

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm shocked! Well, not that shocked.

98C
    99B
    100B

Give me your hands if we be friends and Robin shall restore amends

24. - Top - End - #234

Planetar

A little late, sorry, work's crazy.

98C - Demand that Mother and Father embrace each other.

99B
    100B[

I demand they embrace each other.

Father! Mother!" you cry. "We are united at last. Let us all embrace together. Please."

"I…" Father says.

"We do not…" the Faerie Queene begins.

But you are so imperious in your demand that they give in. The Faerie Queene steps over to the bed and embraces Father, stiffly at first, but then softening. You join them, together as a family for just a moment.

You step back after a bit, and look back and forth between them.

"Why are you my mother?" you say at last. "I thought my mother was dead!"

"Your father and I had a tryst in the forest years ago. And you are the result. I took care of you for a little while, but then I gave you to the Duke's ailing wife, who was unable to bear children. At the time, I thought—how foolish of me!—that I had no interest in raising a human baby. You cried all the time and wanted to sleep and such. It was really very annoying."

"You gave me away?" you ask.

"Of course," the Faerie Queene said. "What does a human baby mean to a fairy? But…in time, I came to regret my choice. I demanded you back. I had changed my mind, thinking it might be useful to have you, half-fairy that you are, to help me rule my court. However, your father refused. Ever since then, your father and I have been mortal enemies. He has tried to seize my forest, and I have organized my fairy outlaws to strike back at him."

Father starts to protest, but the Faerie Queene silences him with a glare.

"I have won this battle, and at last, you will learn that you do not get to decide what happens in my forest. Your refusal to return our daughter to me is intolerable, and finally, I will have the opportunity to punish your willfulness."

Smiling, the Faerie Queene turns to you. "You are my blood, and this forest, and the rule of it, is your birthright. I ask you—what would you suggest I do to your Father, who has never been kind to you, and to his soldiers, who invaded our forest so insolently?"
    MERRIMENT: 72 [+3]
    NOBILITY: 56 [-2]

99B - "A truce shall be made between the Faerie Queene and the Duke lasting ten years. The border between the forest and the rest of the duchy shall be a friendly border, and both fairies and humans may pass unmolested."

The Duke and the Faerie Queene nod to hear this. "A truce then," the Faerie Queene says. "It is a reasonable judgment. You shall cease your patrols in the woods."

Father nods. "And you shall stop your outlaws from robbing my tax men?"

"I shall."

"So be it," Father says. "For now."

"For now."
    Ten years is a long time for humans. Plenty of time to make a permanent peace, or renew the truce, or take other measures to prevent another war. Robin will be in her twenties by then.

And so you have settled the terms of the Battle of the Bed to the best of your ability. There is just one more thing that nags at you. You turn to Father.

"Father, when did you first become bedridden? When did your fistula first begin to ail you?"

Doctor Nostrum interrupts. "Why, that was only a year or so after you were born," he says. "I remember. It struck so suddenly, and His Grace's humors have never been the same since."

"Yes," Father agrees. "It was soon after the Faerie Queene requested that I give you back, and I refused…what are you suggesting? You can't mean…"

"Mother," you say. "Did you enchant Father to make him ill?"

"Yes, I did," she said. "The fistula is my doing. A just punishment for his refusal."
    100B) "It would be nice of you to heal him now, in the spirit of joy, generosity, and goodwill."

The Faerie Queene throws back her head and laughs. "Yes," she says. "I had nearly forgotten. So deeply does revenge instill itself into one's mind. I nurtured that pain for too long. Now, I realize it."

She makes a releasing motion with her hand, and Father suddenly sits upright in bed.

"Careful, Your Grace! Not too quickly!" cautions Doctor Nostrum.

But Father leaps out of bed and begins to frisk about the clearing in his nightshirt, hallooing to the sky with joy.

He embraces you, he embraces the Faerie Queene, and he even embraces several of his guards, before Doctor Nostrum can catch up to him and throw a dressing gown over him.
    ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: CLEANSE THE FOUL BODY: Father has been healed.

FURY: 54 [-23]

he Faerie Queene has some of her fairy servitors spread out a fine, soft, green and gray cloth on the ground, and she sits upon it, considering you carefully.

"We shall now have some light music and decide on the fate of my child," she says, clapping her hands. A consort of fairy musicians begin playing minuscule harps and lutes. "I believe that…"

"Robin is betrothed already," Father interrupts. "I betrothed her to Lord Penderghast—the Maroon Knight—before she ran away from home in such an absurd fashion."

The Faerie Queene turns to you, as she accepts a thimble-sized draught of lemon water from a bowing fairy. "Is this so? Have you been promised? Let me look upon this Lord Penderghast."

The Maroon Knight steps forward, his rusty armor clanking, and his sword clattering to the ground as he approaches you. You are still unused to seeing the Maroon Knight without his helmet on, to thinking of him as the aged Lord Penderghast.

Lord Penderghast looks only at the Faerie Queene, and seems lost in thought.

The Faerie Queene stands, walks in a complete circle around the Maroon Knight, and then sits again.

"I do not love the smell of this one," she says. "He reeks of iron and the mundane world. He opposed me at every turn and has no love for my—for our kind. Nevertheless, I am interested to hear what Robin has to say. Is it your will that you marry Lord Penderghast?"

"It is not a question of 'will…'" Father tries to interrupt again, but the Faerie Queene silences him with a look.

Vote 101: Will you marry Lord Penderghast?

101A) "Yes, Mother. It is my will that I marry Lord Penderghast. I love him."

101B) "I will marry Lord Penderghast for the good of the duchy."

101C) "No, Mother. I do not wish to. I have chosen another path."

FOLLOW UP IF 101C is chosen:

101C.1) "…Prenzie."

101C.2) "…Morgan."

101C.3) "…Piccolita."

101C.4) "…being on my own. I have found happiness in my freedom."

Consider your relationships with these characters, as well as your own desire for Robin. I've tracked those graphs on the first page of the thread; so far you have positive relationships with Prenzie and Morgan. You have a negative relationship with Lord Penderghast, but you can still marry him out of duty. I don't think Piccolita likes us well enough to make a go of it ,but we can try.

It looks like there are some follow-on votes for some of these , if we choose them. Morgan, for instance, still faces an accusation of treason which will have to be resolved if we choose him.

Good luck! Let us settle these affairs of the heart. With fortune, we'll get this all wrapped up in time for the real midsummer.

Have your votes in by Wednesday, 19 Jun 2019, 5 PM EDT and we shall celebrate Robin's marriage or freedom!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2019-06-18 at 06:02 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

101C.2 gets my vote
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

26. - Top - End - #236

Planetar

Morgan, I choose you!

"I have chosen another path."

The Faerie Queene stretches her arms luxuriously behind her back and looks at you with admiring eyes.

"Another path, you say? How surprising and wonderful. I am most interested to hear what you have in mind."

Father looks extraordinarily irritated by this, but he holds his tongue for the moment, as you weigh your words carefully.

"…Morgan."

"A fascinating choice," the Faerie Queene says. "Was it the fox head that pushed you into true love? I could put it back, you know?"

"No need," you say. "I love Morgan just as he is."

"I approve of your choice," the Faerie Queene says. "And it demonstrates mercy, forgiveness, and all of those other values that you mortals seem to care about so much. I give my assent."

"Your assent hardly matters," Father scoffs. Then he turns to you.

"You are still very innocent in the ways of the world, Robin. Morgan is very nice indeed. Well-mannered, elegant, and so forth. You have become enamored of him in some sort of childish way." Father chuckles humorlessly. "I do understand that. But that is wholly irrelevant to our purposes here. You have a duty to uphold."

You will not be talked to in this way. "I love Morgan," you insist, with an intensity that surprises you. "I want to spend my life with him."

Morgan steps out of the crowd and stands by your side, looking defiantly at Father.

Father's nostrils flare. "Now see here, Morgan. I welcomed you to my court to offer you some training in the ways of court politics, not to nurture a serpent within my walls."

Morgan sighs. "Your Grace, I do apologize for keeping the truth from you. However, I have loved Robin since the first moment I saw her."
    Aww...

"If I may, Your Grace." The Maroon Knight raises his hand for attention. "I can hold my tongue no further. I have some reason to believe that Morgan is guilty of treason against Upper Fogsworth. I was going to speak to Your Grace on the subject in private, but now that I see he has made an impression on Lady Robin in this unseemly way, I feel I must speak. I have made private inquiry regarding Morgan's character and I have reason to believe that he is a spy from Lower Fogsworth, sent here to steal information on our political and military dealings."

"Morgan, is this true?" Father roars.

Morgan flushes and looks at you, and then at Father. "I will not deny it."

"How dare you? Arrest this traitor at once! Lower Fogsworth swine!"

Constable Growly startles and approaches Morgan to apprehend him.

"Father, wait!" you cry.

Father pauses. "Yes? Traitors are to be put to death. That is the law. Why, what would you have me do with this traitor?"

Vote 102:

102A) "I…suppose the law says that he should be banished from the duchy forever."
    FOLLOWUP
    102A.1) Go into exile with Morgan
    102A.2) Stay here.

102B) "Wait, Father! If you spare Morgan's life, I will agree to marry Penderghast!"

102C) "I beg you, Father. Please forgive Morgan."

102D) I make a brief gesture and focus my magic on Father. "You should forgive Morgan and give him a big reward."

Consider your skills, your relationship with Father, and your relationship with Morgan. Depending on the choices, you can both stay together, or one or both of you will go into exile. The choice is yours! See you Friday, 21 Jun 2019, 5 PM EDT as we decide his fate and ours!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

102A1. Call his bluffsies.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

102A1 too, I agree. It makes for a good story, too.
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

29. - Top - End - #239

Planetar

Happy Midsummer, everyone!

102A1 here we go!

"I…suppose the law says that he should be banished from the duchy forever."

Father steeples his hands and considers.

The Faerie Queene laughs. "This is acceptable. Morgan is banished from Upper Fogsworth. There will be no executions."

"This is my decision, and mine alone," Father says.

"It is not. Now, child," she says to you. "The question before is this: do you wish to follow Morgan, or do you wish to remain here in Upper Fogsworth?"
    "I will go into exile with Morgan." You turn to Father. "Goodbye."

Father looks at you in astonishment.

"What's that you say?"

"I thank you for banishing Morgan, and not seeking harsher punishment. But I must go with him. Unless you forgive Morgan entirely, you shall lose your heir forever."

"You do not want to do this for me," Morgan says. "Your Grace, she doesn't mean it."

"I mean every word." Father and you glare at each other, but you are unable to bear his fury and disappointment, and you look down.

"Then leave," Father says. "If you will go, go. I do not need an heir who is so disobedient, so willful, so set on opposing her will to mine at every turn. Go, and take both this traitor and my curse with you."

The Faerie Queene sighs.

"I did not wish to bring this up until it was necessary," she says. "But the laws of magic must be heeded. Robin has eaten fairy food while in the forest. By ancient compact, she must remain here with me."

Father is staggered. "Is this true?"

You think for a moment.

"I did," you confess. "I feasted upon fairy food in preparation for entering your mind."

"You what?" Father says.

"Therefore, Robin must remain with me," the Faerie Queene says. "By eating of our food, you have become one of us, even more than you were before."

"It is settled then," Father snarls. Morgan will depart at once, and Robin will live, I suppose, with you, having trodden on her ancestors and thrown down everything I have tried to teach her. So be it."

So. Calling his bluff didn't work because his fury is still too high. We can't stay with Morgan. He and Robin are separated.

Epilogue

You spend your days in the Faerie Queene's forest, close to Mother, in the Arbor of Healing.

At first, the pain struck deeply. You made the choices that seemed best to you. Mother reassured you that you did only what you felt was right.

In the beginning, you thought about Morgan every moment. Every blade of grass reminded you of him. Every time you heard the distant laughter and frolicking of the fairies seemed like a betrayal.

You used to go visit the Faerie Queene's magic mirror and scry magically on Morgan, to see how he was doing in exile.

But the Faerie Queene warned you that the magic mirror could only could bring you sadness. If Morgan was laughing, you would weep, and if he was weeping, you would weep as well.

Here in the Arbor of Healing you stay, then. You aren't sure how many years have passed. Time is strange here in the Arbor. At times, you hear fairies speak in whispers of affairs from outside, in…that's so strange.

You can barely remember the name of the place you once lived. They speak of a man called the Duke, and a battle, but of course, that was very, very long ago.

You have not left the arbor yet, but you are growing stronger now. Some day, very soon, you will be healed of your sorrow. But not today.

THE END
    ACHIEVEMENT: The Arbor of Healing. The Arbor heals slowly, but wholly.

So .. that's the end of the playthrough.

Do you guys want to retry the last choice? If you want to try for a better ending, I'll allow it once. I'll give you a hint -- I think Enchantment would be your best bet. Let me know your decision by Monday, 24 Jun ,5 PM and your choice on the last action -- vote 102-- if you want to retry the one time. If not, thank you for playing and I hope you enjoyed it!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2019-06-21 at 05:38 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Well, I can't say our play deserved a happy ending. but seeing as our enchantment > fathers fury, and because it's a hint even I can spot... shall we go for, oh, I dunno. Option D?

...And yes I did enjoy it, Thank you, and must confess to recently purchasing a copy from choice of game, though I've not gone down this path. (Thank heavens.) I didn't find a second or third play through as rewarding as study in steampunk: the resolution changes a bit but unless I've missed the lethal interesting edge cases, the plot is highly linear and forced right up to the final act.

I have to ask though... how do you know which skill we've been failing each time?
    Last edited by Mister Tom; 2019-06-21 at 06:28 PM.