New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Sonic Alignment

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Sonic Alignment

I always want to know what Sonic The Hedgehog alignment is?

Sonic The Hedgehog (Chaotic Good)
    Tails "Miles" Prowler (Neutral Good)
    Knuckles The Echinda (Lawful Good)
    Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik (Lawful Evil)
    Amy Rose Neutral Good (Neutral Good)
    Shadow The Hedgehog (Lawful Evil)
    Rouge The Bat (Lawful Evil)

So what do you think of Sonic Alignment? I know there are more characters that I might have missed.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Sonic Alignment

No Chaotix?

Problem is, I only played the Genesis games (and 32X and the new retro one), and watched some shows, so I’m missing out on their personalities.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    No Chaotix?

Problem is, I only played the Genesis games (and 32X and the new retro one), and watched some shows, so I’m missing out on their personalities.
    I forgot about those characters.

Chaotix:

Vector The Gator (Chaotic Neutral)
    Espen The Chameleon (Chaotic Neutral)
    Charmy Bee (Chaotic Neutral)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Since I see these threads popping up a lot from you... why not just have a single thread regarding "Fictional Character Alignment", and then whenever you have a new one that you want to share or ask about, just put it there?
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-01-14 at 07:56 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Since I see these threads popping up a lot from you... why not just have a single thread regarding "Fictional Character Alignment", and then whenever you have a new one that you want to share or ask about, just put it there?
    Why haven't I thought about that?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

With some of these it may depend a bit on the particular portrayal, since there's so many different pieces of Sonic media out there (the games, the comics, various TV shows, that upcoming movie that looks like an abomination...). But sure.

Sonic: Chaotic Good, probably in all cases. Very much an individualist with a heart of gold type.
    Tails: Neutral Good, generally. Tends to be the innocent do-gooder type with no particular leanings towards anything lawful or chaotic.
    Knuckles: Oh gods, does he depend on the portrayal. The original games (pre-3D) are open enough to interpretation that he could be anything but evil I'd say, though probably not chaotic either, but there's little to narrow it down beyond that. Some of the later games seem to cast him as Lawful Stupid (Neutral), being a muscle-head who is largely focused on his role as guardian of Angel Island, while others portray him as more generally good and just sort of one of Sonic's entourage. In the portrayal where I feel he had the most actual character, the old comics (from well over a decade ago, I stopped reading them somewhere in the issue 110-120 range), I'd call him Neutral Good, having both Lawful and Chaotic tendencies but a definite do-gooder streak.
    Robotnik: Lawful Evil, very much the wannabe world dictator type of villain.
    Shadow: Hard to place, in part because I've tended to avoid things with him in them. From what I recall from Sonic Adventure 2 and the little I've seen of him elsewhere, eh, Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Evil. He's always kind of a selfish a-hole, and definitely shares Sonic's chaotic qualities, but whether he crosses into full-blown evil territory varies.
    Amy: From what little I've seen of her I don't think she has much personality beyond "Sonic fangirl" and being generally good. So, Indeterminate Good.
    Rouge: Only recall seeing her in SA2 and a little in Sonic Chronicles, and she doesn't do much in either. Probably like Shadow, somewhere in the Chaotic Neutral to Chaotic Evil range, depending on how bad her actions are being portrayed in a given game/story.
    The Chaotix: The only game where I even recall seeing them is Sonic Heroes, and I don't remember anything of that game's story or how they were portrayed there. Based on their few appearances in the old comics, I'd call them a mix of Neutral and Chaotic Good, with Vector being the most chaotic, Charmy being the least, and Espio and Mighty somewhere in between.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Shadow: Hard to place, in part because I've tended to avoid things with him in them. From what I recall from Sonic Adventure 2 and the little I've seen of him elsewhere, eh, Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Evil. He's always kind of a selfish a-hole, and definitely shares Sonic's chaotic qualities, but whether he crosses into full-blown evil territory varies.
    Shadow is fairly likely to be presented as having an actual arc, which generally runs from LE to NG or so.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Or, going by 3.5 rules, since they're all animals (except Rotobnik), all true neutral :P
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Silver The Hedgehog is Neutral Good.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Shadow the Hedgehog has to be Chaotic Neutral mainly because his game was basically built on whether you, the player, pick the Good ending or the Evil ending, but either way involves a lot of shooty shooty bang bang.

Big the Cat is True Evil though. All he cares about is getting Froggy. His selfishness drives him to ignore the entire universe, all the evils of the world to thwart, so that even if he was arguably a Good character, he is an obsessed lunatic.

Whatsherface the princess character from Sonic 06, human, she's True Neutral as she is a glorified npc with no actual distinguishing features to her personality beyond maybe being attracted to talking animals.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    Big the Cat is True Evil though. All he cares about is getting Froggy. His selfishness drives him to ignore the entire universe, all the evils of the world to thwart, so that even if he was arguably a Good character, he is an obsessed lunatic.
    I have to disagree. Big the Cat is not intelligent enough to have a non-Neutral alignment. He does not understand anything other than fishing for his friend Froggy.

Froggy, on the other hand, is pure Evil because HE WON'T FOLLOW THE DAMN LURE WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU FROGGY JUST TAKE IT WHY IS EVERY LEVEL THE SAME DAMN THING?!?!?!

Um... sorry... I may have some past issues I'm still dealing with.......
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.