New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [5e IC] The Storm on the Horizon

Spoiler: NEW IC THREAD
    Show
    OoC thread is here.

When last we left our intrepid adventurers, they were sneaking through Farindahl, the orc-occupied elven city, to rescue the Falcons, an elite force of elven commandos, from the clutches of their orc captors.

The alarm bells are ringing and as the orcs muster up search parties, the party's time grows shorter and shorter. Bendron has just boosted Gideon over the wall into the garrison district. As the companions near their goal, there are dozens of orcs on patrol searching for them.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    A: Your current location
    B: Dozen or so guards in market square
    C: Original gate you came through
    D: Where the guard who escaped climbed down a ladder
    E: The garrison
    Dotted Line: Route taken from last gate to current location.

Spoiler: Zoomed Out
    Show

Spoiler: Date and Time
    Show
    It is just after 11:00 PM on Tuesday, Iru 16th.
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2019-02-19 at 01:43 PM.
    ...And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by, from this day until the ending of the world, but we in it shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother, be he ne'er so vile this day shall gentle his condition. And gentlemen in England now abed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap, whiles any speaks that fought with us upon St. Crispin's Day!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [5e IC] The Storm on the Horizon

Gideon is taken aback at the strength of the dwarf but shakes off the initial surprise and looks around, seeing what’s around him. He rummages through his haversack and pulls out some rope and looks around for a place to tie a solid knot.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Bendron whispers up "What can you see?"

4. - Top - End - #4

Spoiler: Gideon Only
    Show
    Gideon is able to very little through the darkness and rain, but he is able to make out several points of light on a wall about three hundred feet away. It appears to be the garrison, but between them is about three hundred feet of inky blackness, what Gideon can only assume to be empty field. As he observes this scene, he also see several groups of orcs walking along the roads through the district, most of them carrying torches.

The rain continues to pour down heavily as Gideon sits atop the wall, squinting into the darkness. The orcs near the gate appear to be splitting up, as half of them head through the gate, into the garrison district, and out of sight.
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2019-01-28 at 05:10 PM.
    ...And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by, from this day until the ending of the world, but we in it shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother, be he ne'er so vile this day shall gentle his condition. And gentlemen in England now abed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap, whiles any speaks that fought with us upon St. Crispin's Day!

5. - Top - End - #5

Gideon lets some of the rope down to his companions. If he can’t find a spot to secure a knot, he will attempt to drag Bendron up first, then the rest of the party.

6. - Top - End - #6

The district walls are smaller then the walls on the outside of the city, only about two feet wide with no parapets or handholds. Gideon tosses the rope down and attempts to hoist his companions up after him.

Spoiler: Gideon Athletics STR check
    Show
    Uamm DC 8: (1d20+7)[13]
    Bendron DC 10: (1d20+7)[16]
    Demryon DC 8: (1d20+7)[21]
    Chadwick DC 14: (1d20)[12]

Gideon hauls Uamm, Bendron, and Demryon up with ease, but as he pulls Chadwick up, the heavy paladin struggles to breach the crest of the wall, and the wet rope slips from Gideon's hands. Chadwick falls almost ten feet and slams into the ground, his chain shirt rustling noisily.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Loud rain, dark night, wet grass, in the shadows. DC 20

Orc Perception WIS check: (1d20+2)[9]
    Orc Perception WIS check: (1d20+2)[15]
    Orc Perception WIS check: (1d20+2)[8]
    Orc Perception WIS check: (1d20+2)[12]
    Orc Perception WIS check: (1d20+2)[11]
    Orc Perception WIS check: (1d20+2)[17]

There is no indication that the orc guards heard or saw anything. Aside from Chadwick getting the wind knocked out of him, the party seems to be doing fine.
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2019-01-29 at 03:02 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Gideon mutters something that sounds like a string of foul curses in what everyone can assume is his Ul Vadr, ”Ben, can you help me drag that fat fûck up here? Does anyone have more rope?”
    Last edited by Nightwing32193; 2019-01-18 at 08:07 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Bendron pulls out his rope and tosses an end down, aiming for the back of Chad's head.

9. - Top - End - #9

The rope plops down squarely on the back of Chad's head, but for some strange reason he doesn't respond, and remains lying face down in the mud; most likely trying to recover some of his lost dignity before getting up.
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2019-01-27 at 05:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

”Chad, we don’t have all fûcking night. Get your fat âss movin’ brother!” Gideon calls down, making sure his voice isn’t heard by the SURROUNDING ORC SEARCH PARTIES.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chadwick hisses back at Gideon, "Wouldn't be a problem if you could hold on to the damn rope." He grabs hold of the rope and tugs at it, feeling very distrustful of his companion's competence.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Bendron grabs the rope behind Gideon and braces for Chad's weight

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chadwick begins climbing the rope.

14. - Top - End - #14

With their combined strength, Gideon and Bendron easily pull Chad up onto the wall with them.

Sitting atop the wall, they are able to very little through the darkness and rain, but are able to make out several points of light on a wall about three hundred feet away. It appears to be the garrison, but between them is about three hundred feet of inky blackness, what they can only assume to be empty field. As they observe this scene, they also see several groups of orcs walking along the roads through the dark garrison district, most of them carrying torches.

To the southwest, across the caravan district, the red glow of the burning building can be seen through the pouring rain. The guard plattoons still seem to be mustering their forces and milling about in slight disarray, not yet aware of the cause for alarm. Several civilians have begun opening their doors and peering out at the sound of the alarm bells.
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2019-01-29 at 02:37 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Bendron studies the view. 'So we sneak in, open up some cages, and arm the prisoners. Are we hoping to break out one group of prisoners, or hit both garrisons?"

16. - Top - End - #16

"Ideally both," says Uamm. "But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it."
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2019-01-29 at 03:02 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

"There's a bridge across? That could make the trip easier. Are we wanting to sneak into both, or sneak first then attack the second?"
    Last edited by Graehamkracker; 2019-01-29 at 12:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

”We should worry about that once we get over this wall and across that open space. It won’t be long til the entire city comes down on our heads. Bendron you and I can lower everyone down on the other side, then you lower me down, you jump, I’ll catch you.”

19. - Top - End - #19

"A figure of speech, cáraía mión," Uamm says to Bendron as they begin preparing to descend the wall. "In other words, we'll solve that problem when it arises."
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2019-01-29 at 03:07 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

”Chad should go first in case he falls again.” says Gideon, handing the rope to Chad.
    Last edited by Nightwing32193; 2019-01-29 at 03:36 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Oh no bud, I'm lowering YOU down this time."

22. - Top - End - #22

”Well that’s up to Bendron, he’s the one that has to lower your fat armor clad butt down.”

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Bendron has already grabbed the rope and braced, motioning for the elves to start down.

24. - Top - End - #24

As Gideon and Chadwick thoughtfully discuss their course of action, Uamm and Demryon slip nimbly down the rope while Bendron holds it. The two elves stand close to the wall below while Bendron waits for the humans to follow.

25. - Top - End - #25

”Ok, hold on to the rope Chad.”Gideon waits then slides down after the elves, making sure stick to the shadows.

26. - Top - End - #26

Gideon quickly joins the elves below, immediately followed by Chadwick, leaving Bendron alone at the top of the wall.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Bendron can make a STR (Athletics) check DC 15 to climb down or a DEX (Acrobatics) check DC 17 to jump down.
    Last edited by Dragodar; 2019-01-30 at 03:24 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

”We should probably try and break his fall.” Gideon whispers to Chad.
    Last edited by Nightwing32193; 2019-01-30 at 03:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Bendron sits on the edge of the wall, taking one more look at the city they are to traverse, before climbing down to join his companions.

Spoiler: Athletics
    Show

(1d20+3)[5]
    (1d20+3)[14]

29. - Top - End - #29

Climbing down alone without rope proves difficult for Bendron, and his grip slips, causing him to drop like a stone. The heavy, compact dwarf slams into Gideon and Chadwick, knocking them both over. All three wind up lying in the ankle-deep puddle, completely soaked and thoroughly covered in mud.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Bendron rolls a bit as he gets up. "Excellent, now we'll be harder to spot. Good idea. Off down that way then?" he adds as he points down a street towards the garrison