New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Spiderman: Far from home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUFmhKpZKlE

I am really surprised this trailer was released so early- but, I gotta say, its pretty awesome. $$
    Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Spiderman: Far from home

Huh.

An... Actually good first trailer!

Well done, Sony (slash Marvel)!

No, really, that looks absolutely hilarious.

Also?

Orchestral Spider-Man theme?

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Spoilers for Avengers: Endgame by just existing, though, I guess - as if that wasn't kind of blinding obvious from the get go...!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yeah that looks watchable.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

YES!

Finally we get a PITA Nick Fury who always has his own objective and is fine with turning other people's life upside down to perform objective, and we also are getting a gay character in the MCU!*

*Waits for people to "well-actually" this last bit of what I said. There is always someone who is a Pedant. Especially things with lore and fandoms and comics are full of lore and fandoms which in turn creates Pedants.

blue text(This is sarcasm for I hope it to be made plain text, but I doubt it is going to occur.)
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2019-01-15 at 01:07 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    YES!

Finally we get a PITA Nick Fury who always has his own objective and is fine with turning other people's life upside down to perform objective, and we also are getting a gay character in the MCU!*

*Waits for people to "well-actually" this last bit of what I said. There is always someone who is a Pedant.
    We are?

Did I miss something? I mean, clearly I did but...?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    We are?

Did I miss something? I mean, clearly I did but...?
    Do not click this spoiler block UNLESS you REALLY want spoilers. Aka if you are spoiler casual do not click this spoiler block. Only the people who are completely satisfied with being spoilered should click this spoiler block.

Specifically since the trailer very much made what I am talking about into a MYSTERY BOX where only the most cryptic of fans will get what is happening just watching the trailer.

Spoiler: YOU BEEN WARNED, Abandon all hope, ye who enter here, There will be spoilers
    Show

Jake Gyllenhaal, is playing Mysterio

Same guy without fish-bowl.

-----

Mysterio (Quentin Beck) sexuality has not been revealed officially (this is why I made the comment about the pedantics / well actually people.) But in one of the stories of the sinister six (novels not comics) it was highly alluded that Quentin Beck is gay with all these references to things like hollywood director James Whale (famous 1930s to 1941 hollywood director famous for things like Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein, well James Whale was out as much as you could be in the 1930s, with the culture of the time), and the plot of the novels only makes since with Quentin being really invested in a specific character and blah, blah, blah.

Combined with things with how Campy this Steve Ditko creation is (Mysterio) and effectively Mysterio is often considered gay in subtext, but hasn't officially come out or been revealed by the actual text.

And I was making a comment that was sarcastic (maybe I should go back and code it blue) this is the best we are ever going to get from the MCU where a main protagonist or antagonist being out (this is me being cynical / savvy, I hope to be surprised but I doubt it is going to happen.)
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2019-01-15 at 02:06 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

I wondered who that was supposed to be. I suppose Mysterio is a good choice for a NuSpidey villain; like Vulture, I don't think he's ever gotten a film portrayal before. Thankfully they're not just re-using Green Goblin or Doctor Octopus for the nine hundredth time.

Is there going to be two antagonists? It looked like Mysterio was fighting whoever/whatever is making the giant elemental shapes.

Anyone want to see Kraven The Hunter brought to live-action next? Him, Chameleon, and Lizard are the only notable Spidey villains who haven't gotten screen time outside of animation AFAIK.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-01-15 at 01:36 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I wondered who that was supposed to be. I suppose Mysterio is a good choice for a NuSpidey villain; like Vulture, I don't think he's ever gotten a film portrayal before. Thankfully they're not just re-using Green Goblin or Doctor Octopus for the nine hundredth time.
    I imagine Jim Sterling (thank Lichemaster for him) will be delighted.

@ Ramza00 - pass on the possible spoiler, ta; thanks for warning (which why I didn't even try quoting like normally would!)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

This looks fun. I was not expecting Nick Fury, when that dart suddenly appeared my first assumption was that it was the introduction of the film's villain. Ned's reaction to the whole thing is great.

"I think Nick Fury just hijacked our summer vacation."
    "Awesome!"
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

i'm not convinced Mysterio is going to start off as a villain. From the looks of things, he's a local hero fighting the elemental things, and he tells SPidy that he doesn't want to get involved in this because it's dangerous, and since Mysterio has magic, he can better fight the elementals.

Something might happen later into the flick that causes Mysterio to become a villain, but if it doesn't, i'd be all for it. Having a character that is usually depicted as a villain in the comics turn out to be a hero in the movies would be a nice change of pace.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wait, so he didn't bring his Spider-Man outfit because didn't plan on doing the costume-vigilante thing, but he still brought his web-shooters?

Also his spider-sense didn't detect Nick Fury?

Also has the MCU done a 360? Like Nick Fury breaks into someone's residence and talks to them about being a superhero like at the end of the first Iron Man film. Is the MCU a mobius strip?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Wait, so he didn't bring his Spider-Man outfit because didn't plan on doing the costume-vigilante thing, but he still brought his web-shooters?

Also his spider-sense didn't detect Nick Fury?

Also has the MCU done a 360? Like Nick Fury breaks into someone's residence and talks to them about being a superhero like at the end of the first Iron Man film. Is the MCU a mobius strip?
    We don't know if he brought his costume or not; and his Spider-sense seems to ping off of harmful intent against him, so Fury not setting off the alarm does make sense.

Breaking into places and having ninja meetings in Nick Fury's MO. I for one enjoy the consistency.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    I wondered who that was supposed to be. I suppose Mysterio is a good choice for a NuSpidey villain; like Vulture, I don't think he's ever gotten a film portrayal before. Thankfully they're not just re-using Green Goblin or Doctor Octopus for the nine hundredth time
    Yeah, I had absolutely no idea who that was. It’s been a long time since I’ve even seen the name.

But yes, one of the strengths of the latest Spidey run is that they’ve finally given up retelling the origin story and reusing the old standbys.

That said…

Spoiler
    Show
    Fighting water elementals in Venice…gah. Sadly it looks ridiculous.

And fighting stormy-things in London...no. London is more overused than the Green Goblin. Why can’t we fight supervillains in Stockholm? Or Istanbul? Or Belfast?

And yes, Nick Fury is all about ninja meetings.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

This assumes that any of those elementals are real, and not just things that Mysterio is creating to look like a hero. That is his traditional MO.

I have faith that the creators of this will do something a little different, the way they did with Vulture, but Mysterio's core premise was always "use trickery to convince people there's some much bigger problem around but really it's just him".

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Is there going to be two antagonists? It looked like Mysterio was fighting whoever/whatever is making the giant elemental shapes.
    Given it's Mysterio, I think the chances are reasonably good that it's an illusion and he's using his tricks to create a Superhero persona he can profit off of in a way that's specifically calculated for the MCU. Which, given Spider-Man's main theme of Power & Responsibility and his tendency to be somewhat belittled and underestimated in the public eye, it would make this Mysterio a good foil for him. Sort of like a villainous Tony Stark he can punch.

Still, Hydro-Man is a Spider-Man villain.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Question what is the state of the various Spider-Man villians with the Marvel (DC) and Sony we are dating but Sony still wants to keep things in Vault? Sony and Marvel are sharing some form of revenue with said movies but do we know any of the details?

For example is that Hydro Man or is it another obscure Water Elemental person for Sony does not want to give rights to Hydro man back to Marvel without more cash being swapped?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Not bad, gave away a bit too much, in my opinion. But I am intrigued.

Interesting that they chose to reveal the trailer that shows that Infinity War Part II reverses Part I. Not that anyone thought otherwise, still I figured they would have waited until Infinity War was released, or at least closer to it.

I did notice the entire lack of Tony though, more fuel for the fire that Tony doesn't make it. I have money on Tony and Steve biting it, so I'm smiling at this non-reveal.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2019-01-15 at 05:57 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    The International trailer closes that hole right at the start. It opens with how his suit gets there.

I really like how these movies have picked good thematic foils for Peter. He's struggling with responsibility? Vulture takes that motivation to dark places. Just wants a chance to be normal? Mysterio wants to be anything but. It's a trope, sure, but when done well it really works and for a ground-level hero like Spidey it's better than random world-threatening aliens.
    Now with half the calories!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Not bad, gave away a bit too much, in my opinion. But I am intrigued.

Interesting that they chose to reveal the trailer that shows that Infinity War Part II reverses Part I. Not that anyone thought otherwise, still I figured they would have waited until Infinity War was released, or at least closer to it.

I did notice the entire lack of Tony though, more fuel for the fire that Tony doesn't make it. I have money on Tony and Steve biting it, so I'm smiling at this non-reveal.
    It could easily be set between Homecoming and Infinity War though.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Yeah, I had absolutely no idea who that was. It’s been a long time since I’ve even seen the name.

But yes, one of the strengths of the latest Spidey run is that they’ve finally given up retelling the origin story and reusing the old standbys.

That said…

Spoiler
    Show
    Fighting water elementals in Venice…gah. Sadly it looks ridiculous.

And fighting stormy-things in London...no. London is more overused than the Green Goblin. Why can’t we fight supervillains in Stockholm? Or Istanbul? Or Belfast?

And yes, Nick Fury is all about ninja meetings.
    It was the missing helmet that threw me. Give him the fishbowl hat and I would have known him instantly.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    It was the missing helmet that threw me. Give him the fishbowl hat and I would have known him instantly.
    Wow, he really is a master of illusion!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Question what is the state of the various Spider-Man villians with the Marvel (DC) and Sony we are dating but Sony still wants to keep things in Vault? Sony and Marvel are sharing some form of revenue with said movies but do we know any of the details?

For example is that Hydro Man or is it another obscure Water Elemental person for Sony does not want to give rights to Hydro man back to Marvel without more cash being swapped?
    They're these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion
    Given it's Mysterio, I think the chances are reasonably good that it's an illusion and he's using his tricks to create a Superhero persona he can profit off of in a way that's specifically calculated for the MCU. Which, given Spider-Man's main theme of Power & Responsibility and his tendency to be somewhat belittled and underestimated in the public eye, it would make this Mysterio a good foil for him. Sort of like a villainous Tony Stark he can punch.
    Oh yeah. The fact that it's Mysterio almost guarantees that it's all trickery and shenanigans. And it will largely work because Mysterio is not a particularly well known Spidey villain among the general populace.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Oh yeah. The fact that it's Mysterio almost guarantees that it's all trickery and shenanigans. And it will largely work because Mysterio is not a particularly well known Spidey villain among the general populace.
    I am wondering whether it's all a Mysterio illusion or he's working with Hydro-Man as well though. Taking some schlub with actual powers and manufacturing them into a fake Supervillain for his fake Superheroics.

I mean, Hydro-Man in the comics is not exactly presented as deeply intelligent or overly ambitious.

24. - Top - End - #24

Once again, Peter Holland spoils the ending of Endgame

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Ehh, not convinced. Still think it's more likely that all this happens pre-infinity war.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Ehh, not convinced. Still think it's more likely that all this happens pre-infinity war.
    Stuff from Feige in this article suggests that it’s post Endgame.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    In what sense? It seemed rather unlikely that Sony was going to make a Spider-Man movie that consisted entirely of a close-up shot of a pile of black dust for 120 minutes...

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    In what sense? It seemed rather unlikely that Sony was going to make a Spider-Man movie that consisted entirely of a close-up shot of a pile of black dust for 120 minutes...
    He and Fury come back to life ;-)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I dunno, clearly the fact that we saw people from the snap means the dusted aren't the ones who died. It's actually everyone who stayed on screen at the end of Avengers 3 that died and is now in purgatory.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

When he's zipping about in the following scene, he's wearing the fishbowl.