New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Arbitrarily Powerful ECL0 Race With The Symbiotic Template?

I was trying to work with the Symbiotic template for some theoretical optimization and I think I found enough tricks to make it go arbitrary large/infinite. For those that don't know the Symbiotic template is notorious since it basically combines two creatures (and their abilities) into one for no additional RHD and only 1 LA.

The base monster is a Warforged with the Incarnate Construct template applied for -2LA. Then you add on a single Symbiotic template to it, raising it's LA to -1. This is a medium creature so Incarnate Construct turns it into a humanoid.

The first symbiont is going to have to be turned into the giant type using the half troll template applied on top of something like the half-celestial template. Now that it's type is giant we can have a spellcaster cast Return to Nature on this creature as many times as we have to to bring it's size down to Tiny. Then we can apply the Half-Fey and Greenbound templates to it. Both are acquired (the Half-Fey was called out as acquirable in Wizards' Savage Progressions article).

So now we can apply as many Symbiotic templates to this symbiont as we want. We loop Half-Fey, Greenbound, and Symbiotic templates for every creature we want.

For legal targets to be a symbiont to our first symbiont we do what we did and just apply a template like half-celestial into half-troll into Return to Nature castings (except this time down to Fine) into Half-fey->Greenbound.
    Last edited by gimley307; 2019-01-15 at 07:05 PM.