New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

Urgrim

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Elmendrin looked up at Urgrim. "Is this so?"
    "In the near future, yes, Rinn," Urgrim responded, accompanied by a bow. Stubbs and his companions are hunting these adversaries in the city, so I wish to aid them. For as long as they are in Zhufund, that is simple. But if their work takes them away, I would beg your leave to go with them."

He hesitated. "It is not of any disinterest in the welfare and prosperity of your Clan. The umgi princelings should be grateful that you commit your dawi against the threat to them and us alike. But I don't know that they will be. So if Stubbs's group are the best and the only weapon against it, I believe the best thing I can do is work with them. And I will not deny I desire to visit justice upon these sorcerers, when I find them.

"I know it is a bad time for me to ask this, now that you have lost five of your own rangers. It is not easy for me to ask it. But it is the same thing that caused their loss as drives me to make sure it was not in vain."

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Urgrim

"You owe nothing to Clan Dwimmulson," said Elmendrin. She spoke more in tones of actuarial fact than praise. "If anything, we are in your debt. Without you young Berki would not have returned home." She paused. "And if you want to help the humans in this you will be doing us a further service. We can endure the loss of one ranger."

She looked to Skorgrund. "Has he been paid for his part in the expedition?"

"Not yet," said the older dwarf.

"Please see that he is. Our account will be settled in full, Urgrim Jotunnsson. Though we would take it as a further favour to the clan if you keep us informed of anything you and the halfling find."
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Please do," Sieghard said. "If your records have the names of those who have been treated and recovered, that would also be useful."

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim

"Of course, Rinn," Urgrim said, giving another bow. "It's been my honour to have had this time in your hold, and with Clan Dwimmulson. And when I return to Barak Varr, I will tell the Hargilssons of your upright dealings."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's all he wants with the Rinn, so if Skorgrund is staying with her, he will depart and visit Berki, and return to Skorgrund later. If Skorgrund is also finished with the Rinn, Urgrim will wait to visit Berki until Skorgrund is finished with him.
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-03-21 at 12:53 PM.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

The Great Hospital

"We don't have copies for you to take away," said Ioana, "but brother Schreiber would be welcome to copy out the information you need."

The Shallyans' library was small and neat, kept in rigid order quite unlike the chaotic sprawl of books that Hieronymus kept in the Old Town. Most of the books were religious rather than medical texts, though Adelbert spotted a few Gaelenist works of herbalism among them. On a heavy wooden lectern carved in the shape of a dove, a leather-bound ledger that looked like it weighed almost as much as Ludo stood open, filled with spider-like scribblings of those admitted and released from the infirmary. Sifting back through the entries would clearly take some time.

Urgrim

Rinn Elmendrin bowed her head. "Our respect to the Hargilssons as well."

Paying his own curt respects to his clan chief, Skorgrund led Urgrim out of her presence. In the counting-house just above the mines, he unlocked a strongbox to count out Urgrim's pay, making a great show of the many keys he had been trusted with.

"Twenty-four of gold, eight of silver, two of brass," he said, counting out the coins with deliberate care. It was a modest rate for risking life and limb in the Waste, but by dwarf standards the Dwimmulsons were not rich. The coins he dropped into Urgrim's hand were their own mint, stamped with a simple outline of the Dammaz Kron on one face and the clan initials on the other. "Don't spend it all at once, young Jotunnsson."

On his way back to the surface, he stopped to visit Berki. The younger dwarf was still suffering from his ordeal in the Waste, but was now recovered and lucid enough to walk and talk. With a hoarse voice and cracked lips, he thanked Urgrim again for bringing him out of the desert.

"You're the one who brought back our boy?" said the family matriarch - Berki's mother or grandmother, Urgrim wasn't quite clear. "We want you to have this. A token of our thanks." It was a small talisman on a leather cord, carved in the likeness of Valaya out an opal from the Dwimmulson mines. Even by Urgrim's fairly refined standards, it was fine work.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard eyed the large book for a moment, very grateful that he wouldn't be expected to sort through the entries. He glanced towards Adelbert "Maybe we should start with two or three names and come back for the rest after you've had a chance to copy them down," he said.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim

Urgrim clapped Berki on the shoulder when he saw the other ranger on his feet, and then drew him into a wordless hug. When he released the other dwarf, he clapped him on the arm once more. "Thank the ancestors you're up." He said no more, but a sly smile crawled across his chin.

Urgi accepted the charm with reverence, examining it for a minute before slipping it away in his breast pocket. "Thank you," he said, nodding to the matriarch. "If you ever send a dawi to Barak Varr, seek out my mother, Dagmar Anikasdottir. She will welcome you as our own clan."

He turned back to Berki. "I'm leaving the Dwimmulhold, and the clan. There's a grombolg who has some companions who are hunting ... the umgi that disturbed the pyramid." Berki had not been inside, so Urgi didn't elaborate further. "I wanted you to know that I won't forget the others. They died for a reason, and this grombolg hunts the man who caused their death as intensely as I will." Urgi didn't know if this was strictly true, but it was worth saying all the same.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is all I want to do in the hold; I hope you don't mind if tomorrow I give you my OOC plans to fill the time between leaving the hold and liaising with the Thorns.
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-03-21 at 04:42 PM.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Sieghard

Sieghard eyed the large book for a moment, very grateful that he wouldn't be expected to sort through the entries. He glanced towards Adelbert "Maybe we should start with two or three names and come back for the rest after you've had a chance to copy them down," he said.
    'Quite,' Adelbert replied, eyes widening at the size of the ledger. 'I'll see what I can find.'

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

The Great Hospital

With Ioana's help, Adelbert searched through the densely-written pages of the ledger. The Shallyan was clearly dead on her feet, unable to stifle the occasional yawn, but she was still an invaluable guide. Working quickly, Adelbert leafed back to the point before the quarantine had descended, and picked out three names of people who had been treated for the sickness outside the Old Town. The first was Anca Marin, a wine seller who lived in Rockshadow. The second was Emil, a rat-catcher from the Warren. The last was a woman by the name of Rosa. Nothing had been written for her occupation, but she was listed as living on the north side of the South Market district.

Urgrim

Berki looked a little lost at Urgrim's talk of manhunts and halflings - but vengeance was something all dwarfs could understand, even against a target without a name. He shook Urgrim's hand and wished him success, in Thrunrik's memory.

At the top of the Rock, the sun was still shining brightly. Squinting as he emerged into the daylight, Urgrim looked down on the sprawling town below. For all the Dwimmulsons looked down on their neighbours, both literally and figuratively, the human city of Savonne dwarfed the Dwimmulhold in its scale. And if Stubbs was to be believed, somewhere in that noisy, chaotic sprawl, the enemy was waiting.

It was a long walk down to the bottom. Hefting his pack and pulling up his hood to shield his eyes against the sun, Urgrim made a start.
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-03-22 at 10:25 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #400

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Grateful for the Ioana's help Adelbert swiftly wrote the names down in his elegant copperplate style and handing the parchment to Ludo. For Sieghard's benefit he also spoke about the names he had found.

'I'll stay here and continue my research,' Adelbert said. He glanced at Sister Iona and seeing the poor woman's exhaustion whispered a prayer before touching her lightly on the shoulder. 'Perhaps you should take a break Sister?'

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Channeling: [ro]]1d100[/roll] vs 53

Blessing of Fortitude: (1d10)[9]
    Casting Number: 5

I know it isn't really the blessing's exact purpose but I figure this might act like a mental and physical caffeine hit to someone absolutely exhausted.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

"The Warren, South Market, Rockshadow." Ludo said, drawing a mental map. "In that order. Let's stick together, just in case."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Questions for these victims:
    • Have you been to or in the quarantined area, or do you have any relatives that lived there? Any dealings with that area?
    • Did you start to feel better once you left the area?
    • Have you seen this apparition of a jackal?
    • Have you seen this man (description of Klammenberg)?
    • Feel free to suggest others, fellow PCs.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard nodded in agreement with Adelbert "He's right. You won't be able to do the goddess's work if you collapse from exhaustion," he said, then turned to follow Ludo out into the city.

Spoiler
    Show
    An important one I'd add is "How did the symptoms start. Where you and what were you doing when you started to fall ill?"
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-03-22 at 02:49 PM.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

The Great Hospital

“Thank you,” said Ioana, seeming grateful for Adelbert’s words. “If you don’t mind then, I’ll leave you to your copying.” She gave a thin smile. “Please don’t run off with the records. Mother Constanza will never let me hear the end of it.”

Head drooping, she headed back out into the cloister. Leaving Adelbert to his painstaking work, the others followed suit, heading out into the city in search of the first names he had found.

The Warren - Emil

Emil the rat-catcher lived not far from the Great Hospital, in a tumbledown tenement that had been rebuilt over its own ruins after the fires set by Rorik’s men in the first siege. Lean and dirty, he cringed in fear before the people he surely saw as Lady Sforza’s heavies.

“Sick?” he said. “No, no, I’m not sick. Fit as a fiddle, me!” Perhaps afraid of being quarantined himself, he danced a frantic little jig to prove it. Behind him, his small, mangy dog was engaged in a ferocious yapping match with Stoutheart.

Some soothing assurances from Ludo managed to calm him down to the point where he would answer their questions - but only on the solemn promise that nothing was going to happen to him. He was fit, he kept saying, perfectly healthy. Would probably have got better on his own.

Spoiler: Answers
    Show
    Have you been to or in the quarantined area, or do you have any relatives that lived there? Any dealings with that area?

“Not often, like, but I did have some business there before it started. Landlord of the Butcher’s Head had rats running wild in the cellar, since the moggy he’d bought for a mouser had buggered off and vanished. Mostly them Old Town types think they’re too good for us, but the old skinflint knew Gaspar and me work cheap.” Gaspar was clearly the name of his dog. “Was a good haul all the same. You’ve got to get ‘em to pay you per tail, specially with a nest that size. Came away with a crown and change.”

Did you start to feel better once you left the area? Where were you and what were you doing when you started to fall ill?

“No, it were after I got back that I started to feel it.” He felt his throat. “Thirsty like, and coughing. Horrible.”

Have you seen this apparition of a jackal?

“A jackal? What, like the Jackal?” He made the sign of the Raven over his breast. “No, no. Fit as a fiddle, like I told you. You ask anyone ‘round here, old Emil, it’ll take more’n a cough to let old Morr or his pup get their claws into me.”

Have you seen anyone matching the description of Klammenberg?

Thinking hard, he shook his head. “Can’t say I have.”

South Market - Rosa

The address Adelbert had copied from the lodger was not a house but a brothel. The brothel-keeper was a tall, dark woman by the name of Yasmin, her hair streaked with grey. She seemed far less intimidated than Emil had been.

“Yes, she works here,” she said when Ludo told her they were looking for Rosa. “You want to see her, you’d better pay. No-one sees my girls for free.” She looked over their faces with an appraising air. “I don’t do group discounts, either.”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charm, Intimidate or just paying the bribe will get you past Yasmin.

Rockshadow - Anca

Anca Marin was a local woman in her middle years, living in a modest but comfortably-appointed house near the foot of the Rock. Her business providing wine to the taphouses and taverns of Savonne seemed to be prospering, barrels and wagons crowding a dusty yard behind. From her florid face and friendly demeanour, Ludo guessed that she wasn’t averse to sampling her own supply.

A little reluctant at first to be distracted from overseeing the two men loading up her latest shipment, she quickly left them to their own devices once Sieghard and Elsa made their identities known. Taking them into a small store-room, she sat on a stool and did her best to answer their questions as precisely as possible.

Show
    Have you been to or in the quarantined area, or do you have any relatives that lived there? Any dealings with that area?

“Yes, I have business all over the town. I think I made three deliveries to the Old Town in the week before I fell sick.” She checked her own, rather chaotic-looking ledgers to make sure. “That was shortly before the quarantine was imposed.”

Did you start to feel better once you left the area? Where were you and what were you doing when you started to fall ill?

“I don’t think I was there for longer than a few hours at a time. I was at home when I started to feel unwell. Counting up the day’s takings. After that it came on quite quickly.” She grimaced at the memory. “I went straight to the Shallyans and they had me back on my feet within a week. Miracle-workers, all of them. I’ll be making another donation this month for certain.”

She shook her head. “No,” she said, “nothing like that.”

She thought for a while, mentally spooling through her list of customers. “I don’t think so,” she said at last. “I certainly don’t recognise the name.”

The day was growing late by the time they had finished with Anca, the descending sun illuminating the western face of the Rock with a rosy glow. Sieghard estimated there was probably an hour or two at most remaining until sunset.
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-03-22 at 05:06 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard - South Market

"Group discounts?" Sieghard glanced at Ludo and Elsa and then gave Yasmin a funny look. "You get a lot of business from women and halflings then? Woulda never imagined." All the same, he handed the woman a pair of shillings.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-03-22 at 06:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

South Market

"Takes all sorts to make a world," said Yasmin, pocketing the money. "I don't judge."

Rosa was a mousy-haired young woman, who seemed almost as frightened of them as Emil had been - though far less voluble as a result. She had fallen sick about two weeks before the start of the quarantine; Yasmin had sent her immediately to the Shallyans.

Show

Rosa shook her head. "We work here," she said, quietly, "live here. Not safe working the streets."

Where were you and what were you doing when you started to fall ill?

"Here," she said again. "I just... woke up, felt like my throat was full of dust. Drinking didn't help. It was frightening." She looked towards the door. "Yasmin sent me to the hospital before I could frighten the customers."

She shook her head, then paused. "There was a man who came in, before I got sick," she said. "He was scared of something like that. Asked if we kept dogs." She pointed to the lintel of the small room where she plied her trade. "Hung a bundle of witchroot over the door before he'd do what he came for. Didn't come back."

"No." On this she seemed more confident. "No-one like that. We don't get many high-class people in here."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

"Hung a bundle of witchroot over the door before he'd do what he came for. Didn't come back."
    "Was he or any of your other customers from the old town?" Ludo asked

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

South Market

Rosa shrugged. "They don't say where they come from. I hadn't seen him around here though."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard - South Market

"Did the man give his name?" Sieghard asked. "Or tell you anything else about himself? What did he look like?" Sieghard doubted the man had anything to do with the sickness, but from the way Rosa said he had acted, it seemed he knew - or at least suspected - something about what was going on.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

South Market

Rosa looked a little worried at the sudden intense focus of Sieghard's questioning. "He, uh... I think he was about your height?" she said. "Curly hair. He looked like he ate well." She racked her brain for anything more she could remember. "He had a red jacket."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard - South Market

"A red jacket and curly hair," Sieghard repeated. It was general enough to be completely worthless. "What color is his hair?"

After she had answered, he couldn't think of anything else to ask. "If he ever comes back, get a name and find out what he does for a living. There's coin in it for you if you do."

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

South Market

"Dark," said Rosa. "Dark brown, I think."

"If he ever comes back, get a name and find out what he does for a living. There's coin in it for you if you do."
    She nodded mutely in agreement. With their questioning concluded, they headed out, Yasmin watching them suspiciously as they left.

The Castle

Returning from Rockshadow to the keep, the three investigators crossed paths with a weary-looking Adelbert, emerging from the Shallyans' hospital with a sheaf of papers tucked under his arm. He had finished his copying, and now had a comprehensive list of everyone who had been admitted to the infirmary with the sickness.

It was past time for dinner, and Ludo's stomach was grumbling. Together, they returned to the castle kitchens to see what they could find to eat. Passing through the barrack rooms that had been assigned to the Thorns, they stopped as they saw a solitary dwarf, waiting politely on a wooden bench. Ludo recognised him as the ranger Urgrim.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, this is him," Ludo said. "The dwarf I mentioned."

He lead the group over to the dwarf and effected an introduction. "Sieghard, Elsa, Adelbert, this is Herr Jotunsson. He was one of the rangers that the Dwimmulsons sent to investigate the Red Pyramid. Herr Jotunsson: Commander Sieghard, Fraulein Holt, Herr Schreiber. We are... well, we're travelling companions."

He sat down. "I've told them more or less what you told me about your journey."

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim pushed himself to his feet when he saw Ludo approaching, and gave the group a nod. "Hullo," he said, as Ludo conducted the introductions. He offered his hand to all of them in turn, giving a short firm shake to those who accepted. His eyes were large and blue, and he seemed to be rather thirstily surveying this diverse group.

"Well," he said, after he'd had the chance to greet each of them individually, "as, ah, Herr Stubbs says, I'm Urgrim Jotunnsson." His accent was distinct from the Dwimmulsons' burr. It was obvious at least to Ludo that Khazalid was his mother tongue, but the Reikspiel had something of the Border Princes twang to it.

Urgrim slid his hands into the pockets of his dark green britches. "I suppose this is a little odd, but ... well, if you know about the Pyramid, you know why hearing about your group made me want to meet you." He shrugged, hands still in his pockets. "I'm a ranger, and I can handle myself in a fight. So maybe I can make myself useful to you as well."
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-03-23 at 03:44 PM.

24. - Top - End - #414

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Though he looked almost as tired as Sister Ioana had Adelbert still smiled and accepted Ugrim's hand. 'An honour Herr Jotunsson. You have my sympathies on the ordeal you went through and the losses you have suffered but I think I speak for us all when I say we are grateful for your help. Will join us for a meal and ale?'

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

"That's be very agreeable," Urgrim said cheerfully. "Though I prefer beer."

The dwarf seemed to be far more relaxed to Ludo than he had been when they'd first met in the hold.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Oh no, not a dwarf again.

Elsa's past experiences with dwarfs had involved the orange-haired maniac, and a bunch of crusty elders who seemed eager to turn a poor turn of the phrase into a diplomatic incident.

"Charmed to meet you," she said curtly. She decided that if she did not talk too much, she was less likely to offend anyone. "I'm Beatrix Hildebrand. Pyromancer."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Doesn't seem right for Elsa to be giving her real name to a stranger when there's no indication that he'll be joining the group. That'll come later.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"You have our thanks for bringing back word of your expedition," Sieghard said. "What bothers me is how much what's happened there seems to match up with what's happening here. The woman you described in the burial chamber and what happened to Astoria. Even the way the plague seems to come with an unending thirst makes me think of how the desert swallowed up everything for a few miles around months back."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-03-24 at 03:01 AM.

28. - Top - End - #418

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert looked thoughtful. 'Well it seems we must make an expedition to the pyramid then. Beatrix, could our enemy still be drawing some sort of power from the pyramid?'

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim hesitated in front of the wild-looking woman. "Ah, you'd prefer I call you by that name? Beatrix Hildebrand," he repeated, practising. Urgi had every respect for everyone's control over their own name, and if the name Herr Stubbs had used earlier for her was not appropriate in Urgi's mouth, then she would not hear him say it.

To Sieghard, he nodded along. "This murder seems the best place to start, I agree. The gods watch over the soul of your companion," he appended, awkwardly. He had suddenly realised he might be intruding into a sensitive bereavement for these people.

"Commander Sieghard - you, ah, command this company?" he tried conversationally, gesturing around at the barracks. But he blanched at Adelbert's comment, eyeing the man as if he didn't quite know what to make of him. He breathed deeply before replying.

"That's, uh ... a bit premature, perhaps. Whatever, or whoever, had been there, they're long gone. And I don't know what else right now you could hope to gain from going there. The place is cursed. It would be a suicide mission."
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-03-24 at 05:39 AM.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

"Maybe if we got some priests to..." Ludo waved his hands in a gesture approximating a religious service "... to consecrate it or something. But I don't know if that would work. Look at what happened to Hieronymous."