The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    -Sentinel-'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Elsabeth Holt


    Morrslieb! You have a clear shot at one of the horses?

    I do! And I thought you should know, two carrions are dragging the chest. I also have a shot at them.

    Alright. We can hobble both the coach and the chest. Four on a horse, two on a carrion, you got that?

    I'm ready!


    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fireball; Magic Focus for double number. I've already channeled (+3) and it's Geheimnisnacht.

    Casting with +4 bonus: target = 8. (3d10)[10][3][2](15)
    Chaos die: (d10)[6]


    Four on the eastern horse, two on zombie #30. (Likely way overkill for the latter, but Elsa doesn't know the zombie is injured already.)

    Horse location: (d100)[97]
    Damage vs. horse: (d10+4)[6]

    Horse location: (d100)[17]
    Damage vs. horse: (d10+4)[8]

    Horse location: (d100)[47]
    Damage vs. horse: (d10+4)[7]

    Horse location: (d100)[72]
    Damage vs. horse: (d10+4)[5]

    That is some impressively mediocre damage.


    Zombie 30 location: (d100)[65]
    Damage vs. zombie 30: (d10+4)[8]

    Zombie 30 location: (d100)[4]
    Damage vs. zombie 30: (d10+4)[10]

    Yep, def overkill on that front.


    Morrslieb's subsequent movement will depend on the results. Straight south.


    The spell went off without a hitch on Elsa's side, though she could sense only a vague, guarded satisfaction on Morrslieb's side.

    What happened? Are they both dead?

    Um, the carrion is? The horse might collapse yet, or run, or stay still. Hasn't reacted yet.

    Elsa sighed. Head towards Sieghard and keep an eye on the coach.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-09-19 at 07:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

  2. - Top - End - #1352
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TheSummoner's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard

    Things were growing dire. Sieghard had lost track of how many of the dead they had cut down, but there were always more, and they were beginning to push his man back through weight of numbers if nothing else. His horse was wounded and beginning to struggle against him. He knew that if he kept forcing it against the enemy, it would try to throw him. He could keep fighting, but not if he was thrown on his back. Seeing an opening, he moved back and dismounted.

    "Hold!" Sieghard urged his men, "Reinforcements are on their way! Hold them back until they get here!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Disengage one square south east and use a fortune point to buy another half action to dismount into the space to the right of #16. Sieghard should be able to hold them there and I'm not losing a horse to zombies if I can help it.

    We'll try a command roll to give them whatever sort of bonus you feel is appropriate to defensive rolls. Dodge/parry, avoiding being grappled, etc
    (1d100)[46] vs 64

  3. - Top - End - #1353
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LeSwordfish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Ludo slipped another crossbow bolt into the bow, frantically trying to reload before the vampire dropped to the ground. Too late, now it was clawing at Urgrim and Ingwald as they backed away. "Get down!" he yelled out, raising the bow to his shoulder. "I can't get a shot."

    He paused, a moment of horrified tension until Urgi dropped away - and then pulled the trigger to fire the bolt straight at the horrifying creature.
    - Avatar by LCP -

  4. - Top - End - #1354
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Thragka's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Urgrim felt the fear in his stomach before he was even consciously aware of the voices. He backed a few steps away as the monstrous thing glid through the air towards him. He told himself it was because he'd seen Ludo taking aim in his direction. But for all his showmanship up in the Dwimmulhold the night before, as this creature of legend fixed its attention on him, even as he reached for his axe and shield, he felt very foolish, and very, very small ...

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    After a lot of dithering, I will disengage this round - and also Quick Draw his mêlée kit after the move. (One square diagonally north-east.)
    Avatar by LCP

  5. - Top - End - #1355
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LCP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Illinois

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Ludo's bolt whizzed over the vampire's shoulder, burying itself in one of the two trees that grew beside the wall. The creature looked back in the direction the shot had come, just in time to hear the words of Adelbert's angry prayer. There was a flash of light, and shining shackles materialised around his wrists, binding his hands together.

    The vampire stood still, looking as surprised as the black mask would allow. Then, with a contemptuous motion, he pulled his hands apart, shattering the ethereal chains to vapour. His gaze lingered for a moment on Adelbert - as if promising to come for him next - before he turned back to Urgrim.

    <Where is the key, dwarf?> he said in his clumsy, antique Khazalid, even as the Thorns scrambled back around him. He stood in the centre of the circle of crossbows as if he thought himself invulnerable. <Give it to me.>

    As if to underscore his demand, he spoke a single, dust-dry Nehekharan word, flicking the claw-like fingers of one hand out towards Urgrim. A blast of necromantic energy swept the street, knocking the rusty gate to the cemetery back on its hinges and scything through the militiamen still trying to cut their way through the clawing dead. Urgrim felt it wash over him in a freezing wave, the cold claws of the spell tearing at his soul...

    ~

    Back on Gods' Row, the militia were fighting tooth and nail, hewing down corpses left and right. As hard as they fought, it wasn't enough - their left flank was collapsing, the dead stumbling through the gaps in the line like water through a sieve. One man had his back to the wall, two others cut off and encircled. The fear that carried on their cries for help was more potent than any courage Sieghard could lend his men, as dead hands clawed at them from all directions...

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Repeating the question from the dice roll dump so it's not missed:

    TheSummoner I have a question for you - after he’s dismounted his horse, is Sieghard still holding onto its reins or something? Or is he leaving it to its own devices?
    Map:
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-09-20 at 02:36 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

    WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

    Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

    WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

  6. - Top - End - #1356
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LeSwordfish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    "Now that's magic!" Ludo whooped, at the dramatic effects of Adelbert's spell. "Do that again!"

    Either way he only really had one thing he could do: and this time the bolt hit home, seeming to shine on its way with the same ethereal glow as the ghostly shackles.
    - Avatar by LCP -

  7. - Top - End - #1357
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RossN's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Adelbert

    'Good idea,' Adelbert replied, once more calling upon the goddess. 'Lady of Mysteries I implore you, let me bind this overgrown vermin in your name!'

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Channeling: (1d100)[82] vs 63
    Shackles of Verena: (1d10)[10] (1d10)[4]

  8. - Top - End - #1358
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Thragka's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Urgrim spasmed as the dark energy flowed through him. But at the same time, there was a sense of relief - in that moment, he consciously heard for the first time the voices of the dead rangers, and recognised them as external.

    Liar, part of him thought.

    Audibly, he chuckled. —I know not, zangunaz. As he spoke, he deftly drew a silver bolt and notched it to his crossbow. —Break my soul from my body if you must. You will still not find an answer.

    Click. At short notice, his crossbow thrust the quarrel forward.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Quick draw the crossbow, half action load a silver bolt, half action Standard Attack. BS51 +10 (Standard Attack) +20 (Point blank range)
    ToHit - (1d100)[88]
    Damage - (1d10+5)[6]
    Avatar by LCP

  9. - Top - End - #1359
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    -Sentinel-'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Elsa


    I'm getting close to the big pile of carrion that your mate is wallowing in, warned Morrslieb.

    Elsa nodded, though there was no one to see her do so. Right. Let's finish that horse, before you get too far. Then we'll try to clear out Sieghard's surroundings... give him some breathing room.

    It was hard for her to give priority to thwarting Klammenberg's plan over saving Sieghard's life, but she was sure Sieghard would have wanted it that way.

    Ready...


    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like a fool, I forgot to Channel last round, despite having a spare half action. This round I'll keep my Channeling test for the end, because I may need it more for the spell I'll cast next round (both in terms of casting number and urgency/importance).


    Fireball, plain. Two fireballs on the horse (really wanna make sure the f*cker is re-dead) and one on zombie #5, Morrslieb's most likely target.

    Casting 11+ thanks to Geheimnisnacht: (3d10)[5][2][1](8) Blaaah

    I wish I'd rolled a Tzeentch's Curse, so that I could re-roll the whole thing via Voice of Reason. To add insult to injury, I might have passed the casting roll if I had only remembered to use Channeling last round.



    Horse location: (d100)[19]
    Horse damage: (d10+4)[12]

    Horse location: (d100)[7]
    Horse damage: (d10+4)[8]


    Zombie #5 location: (d100)[22]
    Zombie #5 damage: (d10+4)[11]



    Pretty good damage too!


    Channeling 88 for next round: (d100)[87]

    Well, at least I got that part right... if barely.



    Despite the favorable winds of magic tonight, Elsa's spell somehow dissipated along the aethyric link between her and her familiar. The magic she poured into the fireball never came out on the other side.

    Well? asked Morrslieb a tad impatiently, still expecting the spell to pass through him. But then he felt the frustration in Elsa's mind and pieced it together. Alright. Do I turn back, or...?

    No. Keep going. Not too fast now. I want you close to Sieghard.






    Morrslieb


    His wings getting weary from all the flying back and forth, Morrslieb landed on the very top of the scythe held by the statue of Morr, near the entrance of the temple grounds.

    Whether this dramatic location was a sign of theatrical flair on his part or some meaningless coincidence, it was hard to say, but the effect was the same. If anyone not currently engaged in fending off zombies were to look now at the raven upon his perch—lone, silent, watchful, so black that he looked like a tear into the nothingness that lay beyond the star-sewn curtain, aloofly overlooking a desperate battle with world-shaking consequences under the stark, portentous light of both full moons—they would surely find him a sight both sinister and awe-inspiring. To the more poetic souls, if such could be found in these violent circumstances, it looked as if the gods themselves watched with rapt attention as the fate of the living world was being written underneath them.

    Morrslieb lifted his tail, and a white smear splashed onto the scythe's blade.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-09-20 at 09:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

  10. - Top - End - #1360
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TheSummoner's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard

    "We're coming!" Sieghard shouted to the men being pushed back against the gate, "Keep them off as best you can! We'll cut our way to you!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Probably pretty hard to fight while restraining an injured horse that I doubt wants to be here anymore. Sieghard will find it after the fighting ends - he won't hold the reigns.

    Swift attack, prioritizing the wounded Zombie #16 first.
    (1d100)[20] vs 61
    (1d10+6)[15]

    (1d100)[56] vs 61
    (1d10+6)[14]

    (1d100)[84] vs 61
    (1d10+6)[10]

    Sieghard wants halberdiers 7 and 8 to take defensive stances. Not asking for any sort of bonus, just trying to get them to focus on staying alive as long as they can. Here's a command roll for that if you want it.
    [roll]1d1oo[/roll] vs 64

  11. - Top - End - #1361
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LCP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Illinois

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard's words came too late for the halberdier nearest to the gate. Completely surrounded, he drove his halberd at the closest of his attackers, only for grasping hands to seize hold of it. Skeletal fingers raked across his face, and he went down screaming under a pile of the dead, his cries of pain and panic quickly turning to the gristly sounds of tearing flesh. One of the zombies staggered upright holding the bloody remnants of a human arm.

    Spitting out a terrified curse, the other halberdier swept his weapon wide at his assailants, buying just enough space for him to dash back against the graveyard wall. The dead followed relentlessly after him, reaching out to drag him down to the same fate as his comrade - but before they could surround him again, the figures of Ludo's fourth squad rounded the corner, forming up into a line beside the bloodied soldier. It looked as if they had finally found their courage.

    On the right, too, the knot of militia around Sieghard were finally beginning to thin the numbers of the dead pressing down on them. Not turning his head as he heard his horse turn and flee behind him, Sieghard smashed an ancient corpse into a jumble of bones, before lopping the head from another with his sword. The street in front of the gate was becoming a carpet of dismembered bodies, in some places piled several layers deep. Watching from his perch on Morr's stone scythe, Morrslieb would have licked his lips if he had any.

    ~

    No burst of black magic intercepted Ludo's bolt this time, as it buried itself in Nahorek's back. The vampire screamed, a sound neither animal nor human, and whirled to face him. Ludo thought he noticed a thin trail of smoke sizzling from the wound.

    The thunk of drawstrings echoed around the street as Urgrim and the Thorns let fly, bolts slashing at their enemy from all directions. Urgrim's bolt caught him a glancing blow, while Ingwald's punched through the vampire's black rags to bury itself in his ribs. Looking round at the circle of crossbows he stood in, with the white light of Adelbert's prayer warring with the darkness that surrounded him, he no longer seemed quite so invulnerable.

    With a growl that sounded more jackal than man, Nahorek seemed to come to a decision. Turning with preternatural speed, he sprang past Urgrim, dashing through the open gate back into the Garden of Morr. Urgrim heard the screams of the men fighting there - a moment later, one of their bodies was flung back into the street, torn open from shoulder to stomach...

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Map:





    Elsa

    As she cursed herself for her fumbled spell, Elsa heard footsteps in the corridor outside. The door creaked open a foot or two, and the head of one of the Shallyan initiates poked around the corner.

    "Is everything alright, miss?" she asked. She glanced over to Reinholt, who was still deep in poppy-induced slumber. "I thought I heard... voices."
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-09-21 at 01:07 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

    WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

    Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

    WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

  12. - Top - End - #1362
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    -Sentinel-'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Elsa

    Irritation flashed across Elsa's face at the interruption. "The temple of Morr is under attack by necromancers!" she hissed urgently. "Couldn't you hear the bells? I'm doing whatever I can to help our soldiers."

    Her attention returned to Morrslieb: I want a wall of fire. Needs to touch as many zombies as possible but avoid setting any building or living person on fire. Be ready...


    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Curtain of Flames. Location.

    I've already channeled, so I get +4.

    Casting 10+: (3d10)[9][10][2](21)

    Edit: Sweet. Damage rolls in the OOC.

    Edit 2: Morrslieb then moves 12 squares north.


    As soon as Elsa felt the spell go off, she instructed Morrslieb to begin heading back towards the coach. Speed was no longer of the essence, for which the raven was grateful.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-09-21 at 11:26 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

  13. - Top - End - #1363
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LeSwordfish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    "I got him!" Ludo said, lowering his crossbow with distinct pride. "Whatever you did, and the silver - it got him. I'm going after him, see if Ingwald can use the bolts as well."

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running to here.

    Running to next to Ingwald, Quick Drawing silver crossbow bolts.


    He skidded to a halt next to Ingwald and beckoned Johan over, proffering a bundle of silver-tipped bolts to each of them. "Load, aim, let the dwarf hold his attention, fire when you have a clear shot."
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2019-09-22 at 09:13 AM.
    - Avatar by LCP -

  14. - Top - End - #1364
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Thragka's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Urgrim turned his head at Ludo's cheer, and smiled back at Ingwald and the halfling. For all its power, the ancient monster was scared.

    He clapped his axe against his shield. ⁠—Gazul bar baraz, Gazul gand baraz,1 he roared, and charged into the fray. And in rememberance of the true souls of Lokri, Vardin, Skargan and Baragil, wherever they might be, he swung hard at the uzkular.



    1. "A bond to Gazul's Gate, Gazul help them find the gate"— invocation to Gazul, Lord of the Underearth.
    Avatar by LCP

  15. - Top - End - #1365
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TheSummoner's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard

    Sieghard stared in shock as the wall of fire sprouted up in front of him, but only for a moment. "Drive them into the flames!" he shouted, regaining his composure.

    Spoiler
    Show
    All out swift attack. #25 til dead, then #26.

    (1d100)[66] vs 81
    (1d10+6)[10]

    (1d100)[38] vs 81
    (1d10+6)[8]

    (1d100)[53] vs 81
    (1d10+6)[8]

  16. - Top - End - #1366
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RossN's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Adelbert

    Adelbert picked up the hem of his robes and ran after Ludo. Maybe it wasn't the most useful thing to do in the circumstances but with no bow of his own there was only so much he could do. 'Finally we made that overgrown leech bleed,' he said, obviously in the throes of half-crazed exhilaration.

  17. - Top - End - #1367
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LCP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Illinois

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    The militia stepped hastily back as the Elsa's wall of fire erupted through the ranks of the dead, roasting rotten flesh from mouldering bone. Zombies staggered burning from the flames, fires burning in the shreds of their burial shrouds - and with a cheer, Sieghard's men surged forwards, their weapons thrusting forwards to drive the burning things back into the flames. With halberds in their guts and swords in their ribs, the zombies toppled back over the bodies of those who had gone before them, falling into the hungry flames.

    One of the creatures managed to catch hold of Sieghard, pinning his sword arm to his side. Its face was a mostly fleshless skull, and its jaws gaped open to take a bite out of Sieghard's throat - but before they could close, the fire caught it, the rancid fat that still clung to its bones combusting like a candle wick. With a stink of burning meat, it collapsed in Sieghard's arms, its skull breaking from its neck and rolling away across the cobbles.

    There was a shout from behind him, and Sieghard turned to see a body of men coming up the road from North Market. It was Roth, at the head of at least twenty more militia.

    ~

    Up by the east gate, Nahorek turned with a twitch of pain as Urgrim's axe dug into his arm. It was like hacking into old iron-oak - as Urgrim drew his axe back, he saw only a sluggish trickle of thick, brackish blood seep from the wound.

    The two surviving halberdiers gaped at the monster in their midst, expressions of horror on their faces. The zombies pressed in, and Nahorek spread his bandaged claws, a dark incantation hissing from behind the onyx mask. Slowly, he rose into the air, his black rags fluttering in the unnatural wind that bore him. Urgrim swung again, but his axe met only air as the vampire rose further out of reach. Looking down at the dwarf with something between hatred and hunger in his burning eyes, he soared away over the tops of the tombstones, landing somewhere out of sight behind the temple mound.

    ~

    Gaining altitude again, Morrslieb fixed his beady eyes on the coach. It was still standing where it had last been, the two zombies who had been lugging the chest now in the process of loading it on board. Elsa felt a spark of fear through her mental connection as Morrslieb saw a ragged, airborne figure appear from behind the temple, touching down behind the cluster of stone crypts that stood in the north-west corner of the graveyard. The raven had only seen him for a moment, but he felt sure he knew who it was - and sure that Nahorek had seen him too.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Map:





    Elsa

    "The temple of Morr is under attack by necromancers!" she hissed urgently. "Couldn't you hear the bells? I'm doing whatever I can to help our soldiers."
    The initiate took in Elsa's words, looking slowly around the empty room. Leaning back out into the corridor, she whispered something a bit too loudly - Elsa was sure she heard the word 'delirious'.

    Entering the room, the young Shallyan cautiously approached Elsa's bedside. "You're very badly hurt, miss," she said, using the same slow, patient tone she had heard them use with Reinholt earlier. She could hear more footsteps approaching in the corridor outside. "You need to rest..."
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-09-22 at 08:11 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

    WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

    Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

    WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

  18. - Top - End - #1368
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    -Sentinel-'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Elsa

    The Shallyan's words fell on deaf ears. Elsa was utterly focused on what Morrslieb was describing to her. It seemed that the chest containing book was already loaded onto the coach, and that both Klammenberg and his pet vampire were heading towards it. Moreover, it seemed the vampire could fly.

    Can you see Klammenberg right now? Or his vampire?

    They're hidden. I think they see me. Morrslieb was half panicking. I need to get away.

    And you will! I just want to try to take out their horses. Be ready.

    She also commanded the curtain of fire to go out; by now it had probably served its purpose, and setting another fire so soon after the first was sure to get her exiled or executed.


    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Curtain of Flames = off.

    Channeling 88: (d100)[34]

    Fireball. Magic Focus for double number.
    Casting 11+/8+: (3d10)[8][6][8](22)
    Chaos die: (d10)[4]

    Minor curse, but I'll keep it. It's kind of expected with 4 dice.


    Two fireballs on the wounded horse, four on the other.


    Wounded horse location: (d100)[39]
    Wounded horse damage: (d10+4)[5]

    Wounded horse location: (d100)[84]
    Wounded horse damage: (d10+4)[11]


    Other horse location: (d100)[32]
    Other horse damage: (d10+4)[13]

    Other horse location: (d100)[38]
    Other horse damage: (d10+4)[13]

    Other horse location: (d100)[55]
    Other horse damage: (d10+4)[13]

    Other horse location: (d100)[27]
    Other horse damage: (d10+4)[11]

    Wow, that's a lot of damage on the other horse. Makes me wish I'd attacked the coach directly, but I've no idea what kind of Toughness and Wounds to expect.


    Morrslieb then moves to the square just east of Sieghard, and lands on the ground.


    Now go back near where Sieghard is, Elsa ordered Morrslieb, and stay hidden behind something.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-09-22 at 09:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

  19. - Top - End - #1369
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TheSummoner's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard

    "Over this way!" Sieghard shouted to Roth, pointing to the remaining undead, "There's still a few of them left!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Charge attack against Zombie #14, ending the movement to the right of it. Attacking it until dead, then #18, and if I somehow manage to OHKO both of them, #24 last. Let's see if we can save that halberdier.

    (1d100)[22] vs 71
    (1d10+6)[14]

    (1d100)[14] vs 71
    (1d10+6)[15]

    (1d100)[80] vs 71
    (1d10+6)[8]

  20. - Top - End - #1370
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Thragka's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Urgrim's heart sunk as the Black Hound was lifted and carried away by his witchcraft. For a moment, he thought of giving chase to the ancient monster - but that would be a fool's errand. Gritting his teeth, he hefted his shield and charged through the wicker gate at the undead minions abandoned by their master.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'll quick draw the shield now, and swift charge zombie #34.

    ToHit60 - (1d100)[16]
    Damage - (1d10+4)[8] - 5 wounds to the body

    ToHit60 - (1d100)[20]
    Damage - (1d10+4)[5] - 2 wounds to the head
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-09-23 at 05:38 AM.
    Avatar by LCP

  21. - Top - End - #1371
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LeSwordfish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Ludo darted after Urgrim, headed after the vampire on foot, his crossbow held close to his body. Through the gate, and he nearly ran straight into one of the risen dead. Ludo scrambled sideways, trying to jump over the nearest gravestone - and felt cold hands grab at the back of his collar. He gripped the grave tightly and tried to pull himself free, expecting at any moment to feel rotting teeth biting the back of his neck - and then the grip loosened abruptly as Urgrim charged the creature with the force of a runaway cart. Ludo sprawled into the dry earth and lost his grip on his crossbow - winded, prone, but miraculously intact.
    - Avatar by LCP -

  22. - Top - End - #1372
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RossN's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Adelbert

    Adelbert ran after Ludo, his sword in hand. He had no illusions about his fighting ability but it was better than standing around, and he might be able to provide a little divine assistance.

  23. - Top - End - #1373
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LCP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Illinois

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Flapping up above the height of the temple roof as he channelled Elsa’s spell, Morrslieb saw a black-clad figure make a dash from behind the crypts at the back of the Garden of Morr. Klammenberg was fast for all that he was wounded, crossing the distance to the gate and springing inside the coach as quick as a cat. The two zombies who had loaded the chest stood dumbly by, waiting like footmen for the coach’s next passenger.

    From her bed in the Great Hospital, Elsa released her spell, and the vision in front of Morrslieb disappeared in streaking trails of fire. The silent horses twitched in their traces as the fiery bolts tore into them, burning hide and hair, melting fat and charring flesh from bone. Watching the smoking bodies collapse, Morrslieb flapped his wings and swooped back towards Sieghard and the militia.

    ~

    Leading the charge to relieve the two militiamen still trapped against the wall, Sieghard cannoned into the back of one of the surviving zombies, chopping through its backbone as easily as a rotten stick. Hacking down another, he watched as the rest of the militia barrelled in around him, the walking dead falling under their weapons. Only two of the foul things stayed on their feet, still reaching for their victims but finding no purchase in the ring of blades. Now it was the zombies’ turn to be surrounded.

    On the left flank, the Thorns had formed a single line, a firing-squad of crossbows ready for any zombie that slipped the net. Behind them, Roth and his troop were advancing at the double.

    ~

    By the east gate, Urgrim hacked and battered at the dead man blocking his way, the creature absorbing the blows but refusing to fall. Beside him, one of the militia managed to drive his halberd through the second zombie’s midsection, pinning it to the ground and severing its spine - but that still left the third. As long as the dead blocked their path, there was no route to the retreating vampire.

    Lifting his head from the grass where he had fallen, Ludo squinted through the rows of gravestones to where Nahorek had fled. The vampire wasn’t fleeing any more - he was crouched behind the nearest of the crypts, his masked head bowed as he pressed one long-fingered hand flat against the earth. Adelbert saw it too - if the creature had believed in any god but himself, it would almost have looked like a position of prayer.

    A peal of thunder rang out, deafeningly loud. Looking up, Adelbert saw black clouds boiling out of the clear night sky, coalescing around a point directly above the temple. One after the other, the moons were eclipsed, the clouds that reached out to swallow Morrslieb’s pock-marked face looking for a moment like the jaws of a skeletal jackal.

    The rain hit like a hammer, a sudden deluge pouring down to drench the bone-dry streets of the city. With it came a scouring wind, howling down between the peaked rooftops of the Old Town and making the militia stagger under the blow. By the south gate, Morrslieb squawked and ruffled his feathers in alarm, the unnatural gale almost plucking the light-boned bird off the ground...

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nahorek uses the Blood Gift Call Forth Thunder. Flying becomes impossible and ranged attacks suffer a -10 to hit. In addition, the reason everything has been clearly visible in this combat is because of having 2 full moons lighting the scene: with the stormclouds blotting them out, visibility is reduced to 15 yards, or 30 yards for those with Night Vision. Spotting anything outside that radius will require a Perception test.

    Map:




    Elsa

    Back in her hospital bed, Elsa’s eyes flashed with a glimmer of fiery light as she spoke the words of the spell, a current of wild magic escaping her grasp. She felt a coppery taste on her lips, and realised blood was running from her nose.

    The Shallyan initiate looked aghast, and shouted back over her shoulder: “Help! Magic! She’s doing magic!”

    The footsteps in the corridor accelerated, and another white-robed girl burst into the room, holding the same bottle of whatever-it-was that they had used on Reinholt. The two of them came forwards to hold Elsa down - but before they could lay hands on her, the crash of thunder from outside reverberated through the room. The two Shallyans looked up as the tinted moonlight shining through the window dimmed and died.

    Storm! Elsa heard Morrslieb's frantic message in her head. Storm!

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa’s nose keeps bleeding until she can pass a Toughness test.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

    WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

    Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

    WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

  24. - Top - End - #1374
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    -Sentinel-'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Elsa


    For the briefest moment, Elsa thought the crack of thunder was related to her messily-cast spell, but she realized this was absurd. Magic was involved beyond the shadow of a doubt, but an event of this magnitude had to be a deliberate act by someone a fair bit more powerful than her. She was glad to have ordered Morrslieb to the ground before the storm struck. Of course, this meant the raven was of little use now until the weather abated. It was down to the men on the ground... and Elsa had no idea how many there were, and whether they were in any position to stop Klammenberg and the vampire.

    "This... um... this was not me," Elsa mumbled to the Shallyans, vaguely gesturing in the direction of the thunder.

    Her gaze settled on the bottle of sleeping potion. The Shallyans were about to recover from their surprise, and she had to talk fast if she wanted to avoid getting forcibly put to sleep. She did not intend to get into a fight with the people tasked with caring for her, infuriating as they may be.

    "As I was saying earlier," she said, injecting as much authority as she could muster into her voice, "the Temple of Morr is under attack, by the same people who sent me to this hospital in the first place; the priest-killers. It's Geheimnisnacht, a night of great power, and the enemies of life are making a play for... what we hid in the temple. We need to close the city gates. Court wizard's orders."

    She did not expect these underlings to go and do it themselves, but hopefully they might fetch whoever was now in charge in the Shallyan order, who would be more likely to believe her.

    "I'm done casting spells," she added. "Promise."


    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Either Charm or Command, depending on how much authority Elsa's title as court wizard carries among the Shallyans. Target = 39 either way.

    (d100)[87]
    Fortune: (d100)[27]

    Toughness 41 to stop bleeding: (d100)[17]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

  25. - Top - End - #1375
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Thragka's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    With a grunt of frustration, Urgrim bashed forwards with his shield arm, trying to clonk the zombie and knock it away from Ludo as the halfling scrambled to his feet.

    "Go, Stubbs," he said. He took a step back and deftly adjusted his grasp of his axe. "I'll follow." Hacking down in an overarm arc, the dwarf shoved forwards again.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Swift attack on #34, with +1 Advantage.
    ToHit60 - (1d100)[49]
    Damage - (1d10+4)[13] - 10 wounds to the left leg

    ToHit60 - (1d100)[8]
    Damage - (1d10+4)[7] - 4 wounds to the body

    I think that means the first is a +5 crit which at the very least sends #34 into sudden death territory, so the second hit definitely finishes it off.
    Edit: Wait, no, I forgot that in WFRP you don't accumulate critical values - the second hit's just a +4, so there's a slim chance it could survive both.
    Last edited by Thragka; 2019-09-24 at 05:47 AM.
    Avatar by LCP

  26. - Top - End - #1376
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LeSwordfish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Ludo was suddenly more deluged that he had been in weeks, the torn earth he was lying in rapidly beginning to transform into mud. He scrambled to his feet and backed away, grabbing his crossbow up. "I'll go after the vampire!"

    But he was grinning. The pall of complete darkness was barely an object to him... and if the vampire couldn't see him coming...
    - Avatar by LCP -

  27. - Top - End - #1377
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TheSummoner's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard

    That's not good, Sieghard thought. The sky had been clear a moment ago. Some magic was at work and he had never known Elsa to change the weather.

    He turned to Roth and then the men who had rallied from the west. "Did any of you spot the vampire?" he asked, "Or The necromancer? Or his coach?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    At work, but I've got time for a quick IC post. I'll get my actions in when I get home.

  28. - Top - End - #1378
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    RossN's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Adelbert

    Adelbert stepped past the wounded soldiers to strike at the nearest zombie. As much as he was not skilled at arms he needed to put the poor soul to rest.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move to the square to the right of Zombie #32
    Attack: [roll]1d100[/rll] vs 46
    Damage: (1d10+3)[11]

  29. - Top - End - #1379
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LCP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Illinois

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    In the sudden chaos of the storm, it was difficult for Sieghard to impose enough order for his questions to be heard. Somewhere on his right, one of the risen dead was still struggling with his men. At last, one of the Thorns caught his arm out of the sheeting rain and shouted a reply:

    "Back there!" he yelled over the howling of the wind, pointing up the west side of the temple. "A coach and horses! I saw!"
    Last edited by LCP; 2019-09-24 at 01:58 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

    WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

    Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

    WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

  30. - Top - End - #1380
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TheSummoner's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

    Sieghard

    "Then we hurry and pray it hasn't escaped yet!" Sieghard said, "You three, I'm sure you can handle one more dead man on your own! Anyone too wounded to fight, stay back and keep away from the enemy!" He glanced over to where Morrslieb was struggling against the wind. "Keep Hildebrand's bird safe. It'd be a poor thanks to let it die. The rest of you, with me!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Running around the west side of the gate, getting as far north as he can. Halberdier 7 and Volunteer 2 are too wounded to fight and get to birdsit. Volunteers 1 and 3 and Halberdier 6 can handle the last zombie before catching up.

    (1d100)[58] vs 51 Perception to spot the coach.

    Near miss.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-09-24 at 07:26 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •