New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown X

Returning to the cavern beneath the well, they made the treacherous ascent back up the narrow steps. No howls chased them up out of the dark, no monstrous shapes scuttled in the shadows behind them - though Ludo looked over his shoulder half a dozen times to be absolutely sure.

Sieghard's men helped them out with worried faces, unable to understand what had compelled them to stay down with the source of the screams for so long. Outside the ruins, the sun was about halfway past its zenith. It looked they still had a few more hours of daylight before it set.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

"Just an idea." Ludo said, shrugging. "But we've searched most of this chamber, and made enough noise to wake the dead - so where is it? Either it's underwater, or hiding from us. Or maybe it's some member of the Illuminated Order's plan for warding off treasure-hunters."

"I think the creature was afraid of us but wanted us out," said Elsa. "That's why it kept screaming but never showed up again. If it wanted to eat us, it would try to sneak up on us."

She squinted from the sunlight through the broken windows as they reached the top of the well. She stole a quick glance at the mirror she had found in the summoning room, wondering if it would show her the same thing it had shown earlier.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa appeared in the mirror just as she had before, in magisterial splendour. The image of anything more than a couple of yards behind her was still poor, but even in that blurry, warped reflection, she could see the grey ruins around her transformed. They appeared as they had once been, whole and full of light and colour - or perhaps, as they could be again.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa pocketed the mirror and sat down to rest her legs, sore from all the walking. She only now realized how tense she had been this past hour or two. It felt good to be back on the surface.

"So," she said, addressing the others who had come down with her. "I believe there's not much more to search, and even if there is, we didn't bring enough torches. Perhaps we should be on our way."

She doubted there would be any objections, since she was the one who had insisted on this expedition. Still, she felt disappointed. The summoning circle was an interesting thing to know about, but without a ritual to cast, it was not all that useful. Had she missed something?

Elsa only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa also knew that her mysterious 'helpers' had wanted her to do something. No doubt they would be back, sooner or later, to demand that she return down there and did... whatever they had been expecting of her. Summon Cacophrax? Even if she wanted to, she did not know how.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-03-03 at 10:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'That seems like a good idea,' Adelbert said. 'We also have to face the possibility that that creature has taken vital materials to the bottom of its cavern pool and therefore beyond our reach short of a priest of Mannan showing up.'

He opened his pack and carefully removed the alchemy and 'glassblowing' notes he'd discovered. 'And we do have these of course, though perhaps they would have been more use to poor Beatrix.'

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"No complaints from me," Sieghard said, "Though we won't get far today with what sun we have left."

Spoiler
    Show
    Re-read some stuff and saw my question was already answered. Post edited accordingly.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-03-04 at 04:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

"No complaints from me," Sieghard said, "Though we won't get far today with what sun we have left."

"Any distance we can put between ourselves and the thing that's down there is welcome."

Elsa was lost in thought for a moment. "I sure can't wait to be back to my books in Savonne. We saw some inscriptions down there that jostled my memory about something I read before. Perhaps this expedition wasn't as pointless as I feared."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't recall whether we're expected to go to Bunthafen or Savonne next.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-03-04 at 10:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

8. - Top - End - #248

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert nodded. 'Yes I can't say I'm delighted to linger her. Still, we better do something about that well. Not only might that thing get out other parties might decide to take a look down there.'

He pointed at the rusted grille they'd originally removed. 'That will have to do I suppose. Better than nothing.'

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard nodded and turned to his men. "Help me get this thing back in place," he said, grabbing one end of the grate.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2019-03-05 at 06:21 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

"Might be best if we stay here for the night, after all," noted Elsa, gauging the lengthening shadows. "If anything tries to come through the grate, we'll hear it."

Still, she intended not to sleep too close.

Trolls in the karst, a Chaos abomination down the well... Neither choice was attractive but this seemed the safest option. She would only allow herself to truly rest once she was back in inhabited land.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Having been dug out of its sockets in the stonework, the grate could now only be balanced rather precariously over the top of the well. With the use of about ten yards of Elsa's rope, they managed to lash it down securely enough that it wouldn't slip. The rope looked unlikely to resist a determined attack from something the size of the creature they had seen, so they worked together to pile large pieces of rock and rubble on top of the rusted iron until it was firmly weighted down. Sieghard's men needed no encouragement to put their backs into the work - in fact, they kept at it longer than he did it, piling up more and more stone until he physically told them to stop. They might not have seen the beast in the caverns, but they had heard it well enough.

Tired from their exertions, they made camp in the courtyard as they had the last time they passed through. The crows on the roof seemed unhappy to see them again, setting up a din fit to wake the dead. Morrslieb squawked back at them, but as soon as he took wing he found himself mobbed by the smaller birds. Returning to Elsa’s shoulder with feathers ruffled, he did his best not to look intimidated.

At length, the avian racket died down. Sating their hunger as best they could on cold trail rations, they retreated to their tents to get what rest they could.

Elsa Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Setting down the book and papers she had taken from the caves beside the mirror, Elsa heard a quiet rustle behind her. Looking round, she saw a large, black feather drifting down to the stony earth outside the flap of her tent. Morrslieb was already settled down to doze on top of her travelling pack, and when she checked outside she saw none of the birds from the tower roof nearby. Still the feather remained.

~

In the middle watches of the night, their sleep was shattered by the sound of monstrous screams from the ruins. Grabbing their weapons, the Thorns ran towards the sound of the disturbance, while the two halberdiers waited for Sieghard to emerge before following.

The crudely-repaired grate was shuddering and jolting, struck repeatedly and forcefully from below. The howls that rose from beneath it were terrible in their rage and desperation, the shaking of the well increasing in tempo as the stubborn weight of stone heaped on top of it refused to budge.

A chunk of rubble shifted, allowing a cascade of smaller stones to pour down between the iron bars. Through the gap, Sieghard saw a baleful yellow eye staring out at them. A gust of blue fire belched out after it, the smell of brimstone carrying on the air.

The ropes held; the remaining stones did not shift. With a despairing wail, the creature shook its prison bars one last time, and the eye withdrew into the dark. A long silence followed, broken only by the quite drizzle of falling dust. Steffan coughed.

"The, um, thing," he said. "It can climb, then."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Being cryptic again, thought Elsa, now more annoyed than scared. Yes, yes, you want me to go down there, summon your master and make a deal. But even if I wanted to, I couldn't. Not today at least. Leave me alone.

Elsa stared bleary-eyed at the rattling grate, ready to fight if the creature broke through. She was not sure whether she should pity it; she remembered all too well its disturbingly human face and its anguished expression. She almost hoped it would come to a fight so that she could put the abomination out of its misery. At last it retreated.

"Well, I don't think I'll be getting much sleep," Elsa muttered.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

13. - Top - End - #253

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert staggered over in the disheveled state of someone woken from a dream he'd been in no hurry to abandon.

'It would almost have been better if it had broken through; then we could kill it outright.'

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

"Easy for you to say." Ludo said, loading some more rocks onto the grating for luck. "It didn't set fire to you."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing else planned for tonight.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"You want to kill it, you're welcome to go down after it and try," Sieghard grumbled. "Me? I'm waiting til morning. If it shows it's face again, I'm putting a bolt through it's eye through the grate and if not, I'm putting this place behind me."

16. - Top - End - #256

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert yawned and went back to his bedroll. He was very tired and hideous mutant or no he needed sleep.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa’s prediction held true enough for most of them – it was difficult to sleep knowing that only a pile of rocks and some rope stood between them and the creature below. Sporadic wails drifted from the ruins through what was left of the night, though the creature refrained from another direct assault on the grate. Ludo imagined the thing snuffling about down in the dark, squeezing its formless bulk through those narrow tunnels in search of another way to the surface. If there was one, he told himself, the beast would have found it years ago…

Konigstag, 33rd Sommerzeit

Dawn broke to the croaking of crows. Rising slowly and wearily, the party made ready to leave Harmugstahl behind. The creature had stopped shrieking a couple of hours before sunrise. Perhaps it had finally worn itself out.

The sun was climbing fast, its bright rays beating down out of the clear blue sky. A dry wind from the west stirred the stunted shrubs that clung to the upper reaches of the rocks, making the fierce sun a little more bearable. Still, the dark rocks of the Karst drank in the heat with a thirst, making the travellers sweat where they couldn’t stick to the shade. Only Elsa seemed untroubled, riding along oblivious to the sweat that ran down Bastard’s black flanks. She was sweating too, as anyone who smelt her could attest – she just didn’t seem to mind.

Shortly past the ravine with the old dwarf bridge, they found a minor rockfall had choked the path ahead. It wasn’t an insurmountable obstacle, but with the best part of the day already gone, it was all the excuse they needed to rest their aching feet until morning. Sharing round the last of the water they had brought with them – there was more down in the ravine, they told each other, as long as someone would volunteer to climb down – they fell into much-needed sleep almost as soon as the sun sank back below the level of the rocks.

Sonnstill

Rising much better rested the following morning, they cleared the rockfall enough to pass and returned to Bunthafen shortly before noon. The fortress was alive with activity. Falkenwald’s colours had been struck down, and the Captain’s men were breaking up the siege camp they had set around the walls. Sieghard thought he saw the woman Gunda among those of Falkenwald’s mercenaries who were already out and mingling with their new allies. There was still something about her that struck him as a person not to be crossed.

Clearly eager to be on the move, the Captain was watching the preparations from horseback as his dogsbodies packed up the paraphernalia of his command pavilion. Falkenwald and Dolokhov were both with him, the straight-backed, clean-shaven commander of the Falcons making the Kislevite on his shaggy pony look rather shabby by comparison.

Hailing Elsa when he saw her, he waved for the wizard and her party to approach. “Back from your expedition, eh, Hildebrand?” he asked. “I hope you found something of value.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa waved back at Sforza with a rueful smile. "Ah... nothing that can help the war effort in the immediate future, I'm afraid. But at least we didn't lose anyone this time."

She climbed down her horse and studiously avoided acknowledging Falkenwald and Dolokhov, who she neither liked nor trusted. "The wizards had some sort of ritual chamber down there, but most of their books have decayed," she went on. "I did find some legible notes... provided I can decipher the language. Perhaps I can learn something from this once I get back to my books."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Sforza looked equal parts impatient and disappointed. As treasure went, he clearly hadn't been hoping for wizards' notes.

"Your books, they would be in Savonne? Perhap's Sieghard's militia can provide you with further escort. I may have a use for you south of the Karst." He didn't say it aloud, but the way he glanced at Morrslieb made his meaning clear to Elsa. Snapping his fingers, he beckoned Sieghard forward.

"Written orders," he said, leaning in the saddle to hand a roll of papers to Sieghard, "to show to Esteban and my lady wife. I believe Abdul has included lists of what we will be requiring to supply our forces in the Valley." Holding onto the parchment a little longer than was necessary, he looked Sieghard in the eye. "The army marches on its stomach, commander. I can trust you to make sure we don't go hungry?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #260

BlackDragon

Adelbert

It had been a relief to get out of the Karst, though those feelings faded as they approached the camp and vanished altogether with the appearance of Sforza. Throughout the exchange with Elsa and Sieghard the priest remained silently at the back, his gaze almost anywhere but on the Tilean.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard nodded, taking the roll of papers. "I'll make an example of anyone who tries messing with the supply lines," he answered.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

"Are we just going to be transporting this or acquiring it too?" Ludo asked. He decided not to mention the difficulty of collecting a large amount of food in Savonne.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

"Both," said the Captain. He tapped the papers. "Abdul has the names and locations of the larger farms in Last Water and the Vale. You may have to do some scouting of your own to find who to collect from in the Downs." His horse snorted and tossed its head, clearly a little on edge with all the comings and goings around them. Reaching forward, he patted it on the neck.

"Irene and Esteban will help you. If anyone makes trouble, remind them what they pay their taxes for. Victory, and peace in the Reaches. We'll be drinking in Alvarran before this summer is out."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

"If anyone makes trouble," said Sforza, "remind them what they pay their taxes for. Victory, and peace in the Reaches."

We haven't been able to deliver these things yet, Elsa thought, so I wouldn't blame them for being a tad cynical when we come take their pigs. She did not care much for the orders to loot the peasantry again, especially so early in the season. At some point there would be nothing left to squeeze, and when that moment came they would have a revolt on their hands.

They might win the war, but would they survive the peace?

"We'll be drinking in Alvarran before this summer is out," Sforza added, causing Elsa to wince visibly. He sure loved to tempt Tzeentch.

"May I suggest we also fish the Azril and the Mere?" Elsa chimed in. "Might alleviate some of the pressure on the peasants."

After those past few days with her friends and the Thorns, Elsa welcomed the opportunity to get away from gazes. She came up with a quick excuse to go walk with Sieghard among the bustle of the camp being struck.

Elsa and Sieghard
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa reached inside her bag and showed Sieghard the mirror she had found in the summoning room under Harmugstahl. "Look in there," she said gravely, "and tell me what you see."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2019-03-07 at 11:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"We'd probably get more food out of the river than we would trying to pull it from razed fields anyways," Sieghard added. He doubted Sforza would care much for the farmers, but he might listen if the idea was put in terms of what would keep the Iron Company better supplied.

Sieghard and Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    "I see a woman who pulled me away from camp to show me a bauble," Sieghard said, unimpressed by Elsa's serious tone. All the same, he took the mirror and looked into it as she asked.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Sforza looked a little impatient with Elsa's agricultural advice. "Who do you think does the fishing?" he asked. "Of course you'll collect from the fishermen too."

Turning his attention back to Sieghard, his tone indicated that their conversation was at an end. "Follow Abdul's list, follow your orders, and lose no time. I want the Pass closed before anyone gets any bright ideas about the prices their goods will fetch in Alvarran." Tapping his heels against his horse's flanks, he headed off towards where they were taking down the Company standard at a gentle trot. "We're counting on you, commander!"

~

Sieghard
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa's mirror was a strange enough looking thing, its tarnished silver frame worked into the likeness of a crow's wings. The glass itself seemed curiously mottled and discoloured, offering a murky reflection at best. Sieghard could make out his own image, but the view of the camp behind him was lost in indistinct shadows.

The Sieghard in the mirror was not quite like the one who held it. Better-fed and dressed in rich clothes, the shifting of the shadows behind him seemed to imply he stood in front of a great army, awaiting his word. The fine armour he wore was not the dented and road-worn plate he had scavenged from the leavings of the orcs. Looking up after the Captain's receding back, his impression was confirmed - it was Sforza's armour.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard and Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard eyed the mirror for a moment, then turned it to try to get a view of both himself and Elsa. "I see me, but it's a different me," he answered. "There's an army at my back, more men than I can count. And my clothes and armor are finer." He looked back towards the Iron Company and then lowered his voice. "It's Captain Sforza's armor..."

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa appeared as little more than a unfocused shadow beside Sieghard. His own face was the only thing he could see clearly reflected. He looked noble, commanding.

The army headed westward that afternoon, leaving Sieghard and the militia behind. Watching the banners of the Falcons and the Storm Swords flutter past, Elsa reflected uncomfortably that almost half the men that marched with the Captain now had not marched with him at the beginning of the campaign. Then again, weren’t all Sforza’s soldiers sellswords to begin with?

Gathering up their own little baggage train and dividing supplies between themselves and the men who would stay behind to form the garrison, Sieghard’s company waited until the following dawn to set out in the opposite direction. It was one day’s march to Jaardorf, and another to Putbad, under clear skies and a hot sun. Ludo and Sieghard both beat the drum relentlessly for new recruits along the way. Ludo in particular did a fine job of recounting their adventures in the Captain’s service with the grisly bits cut out, snaring a total of twenty-two impressionable young men. Hanna looked a little disappointed that there were no women among them; with the absorption of the other militia companies, she and the others among the original Thornwood recruits were looking more outnumbered than ever.

A little looking around in Putbad also found them a scribe by the name of Goswin, who agreed to take the posting alongside Oswald and the Bunthafen garrison. Short and slight, he had a down-at-heel look and a deadpan, pessimistic demeanour. With all the cheery persuasion in the world, Ludo could not beat him down below fifteen schillings a week – but one look at Sieghard’s scowling, craggy face and he dropped his price immediately to twelve. They saw him off on the north road the next morning, leading an aging mule with his meagre possessions loaded on its back.

Moving the company down over the Silver Falls was a challenge, taking up most of a day in itself. From the foot of the falls, they marched along the rocky north bank of the Azril, the new recruits learning the hard way that they had to give Bastard a wide berth on the narrow path. Morrslieb soared and circled overhead, showing off his flying skills in the thermals rising from the rocks. Stoutheart yapped at him from the back of the line.

It was Marktag when they emerged back into the green country of the Downlands, leaving the Karst behind them. A short detour to Selsan gave the footsore militia a chance to rest and drink at the Hammer and Chisel, while their leaders sang the praises of a soldier’s life once again. Another five men took the Captain’s coin.

From Selsan, it was a straight march back to the city, under fine weather and over open country. With the black lump of the Rock rising steadily above the horizon ahead, they covered the final miles at a brisk pace. Already Ludo was noticing an improvement in the soldiers’ spirits – it seemed to increase the further they got from the front.

Backertag, 5th Vorgeheim

The company entered Savonne through the river gate, threading through the busy streets of the docks. The city was crowded – the old shanties were already regrowing outside the north wall, swollen by refugees from the western Downs.

Marching up through North Market beside the sunlit flank of the Rock, they made their way to the keep. Beggars dogged their steps, holding out their hands for alms. Some of the new recruits, country boys, proved a soft touch; older hands threw threats and curses until the beggars let them be.

Inside the imposing walls of the castle, they found a relative peace from the stink and clamour of the town. Irene received them in the audience chamber, seated like a queen on Alvarr’s old throne. She was only missing a crown.

“Hildebrand,” she said, as if she were being forced to swallow a frog. “Back so soon.”

Reading her husband’s instructions didn’t improve her mood. With an exasperated sigh, she handed them off to Valdes to read in turn. “How long is this wretched war going to drag on?” she demanded. “That stubborn pig of a Breton should have had the decency to surrender weeks ago.”

Lips moving slightly as he read, Valdes reached the end of the Captain’s letter. Looking up at Irene, he cleared his throat respectfully.

<We’ll need as many hands as we can spare to cover all of this,> he said, in formal Tilean. <If I could withdraw my men from the cordon in the Old Town...>

Irene rolled her eyes. <Not you too, Esteban,> she said. She sighed again. <Fine. Constanza and her old crones are so keen to help, we’ll let them.>

Rising in a swish of skirts, she gave a shallow curtsey to Sieghard and the others. “I’ll leave you and Esteban to sort out the details of my husband’s requests,” she said, preparing to take her leave. “Esteban, you will of course find suitable quarters here too for the commander’s men. Please send me word before you spend any of our gold.”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A quick recap of Sforza’s orders (sforders?):
    • Post patrols to cut off the south entrance to Pieter’s pass and discourage anyone from smuggling supplies into Alvarran.
    • Set up a solid supply chain for the besiegers in the Shepherd’s Valley. This means arranging collection, transport, and protection en route. How to go about all these things is left to your discretion as long as you provide supplies in the quantities required, although you are to keep expenses as low as possible. Last Water and the Hidden Vale have stores on which you can draw – Abdul suggests you get in touch with Stefan Sussman in Manann’s Keep to help organise.
    • Recruit, recruit, recruit. Sforza wants the fighting age men of the Downlands hoovered up before they drift into less productive professions. You have license to expand the militia company as much as you are able – the Captain will provide funds to pay new recruits at your current rates.

This is obviously a lot to do, and you shouldn’t feel obliged to do it all in person – feel free to delegate tasks to NPCs who can take care of things off-screen. Coming up with a plan is the most important part.

Adelbert

While the others had the pleasure of dealing with the Captain’s lady, Adelbert went to seek out Hieronymus. He found the old priest at his house in the Old Town, thankfully outside the Estalians’ barricades. A couple of hawkers accosted him along the way, trying to sell him charms to protect against pestilence. From the looks of things, their business wasn’t thriving – perhaps the sickness, or at least the fear of it, had run its course.

“Ah, Schreiber!” said Hieronymus, marking his page and carefully closing the book he had been reading as Adelbert entered. Up on his perch, Euthymius opened one grouchy eye. “Good to see you back. Good travels, I trust?”

“The boy – what’s his name? Bartholomaus? – is with Raqiyah’s lot. Seems to be fitting in. Speaking of which, we must see about getting you settled here. I can petition for you to be given quarters in the Temple, or if you’d rather we can look for a place somewhere in the town. I’m afraid there’s not much space here.” He knocked one of his bookshelves with his cane, triggering a small drizzle of dust. “You are here to stay this time, yes? Not gadding off again tomorrow?”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #269

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'Thank you Hieronymus,' Adelbert replied, his eyebrows raising at the cascade of dust. Despite their very different natures he found himself thinking unavoidably of Krucke. Hopefully the old fossil was well enough.

'I would appreciate a place to stay. Quarters in the temple will do; I don't have the income to pay rent as it is. As for the expedition by Verena am I glad to be back! A damp, underground ruin once inhabited by warlocks and now home to a hideous fish-bird mutant. We barely escaped with our lives. I did at least manage to uncover these.'

He opened his pack and carefully removed the recovered glassblowing texts. 'Neither alchemy nor glassblowing are amongst my skills but they did strike me as interesting.'

Adelbert settled rather heavily into a chair, feeling the weariness of travel hit him. 'Believe me I am relieved not to be gadding off anywhere! How fares the city? Is the plague in retreat?'

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert

"Fish-bird mutant..." said Hieronymus, raising his pale eyebrows just a touch. "Well, Schreiber, I don't think anyone could accuse you of living a boring life. You should write these adventures of yours down, you know." He tapped the book on his desk. "We mortals age and die, but words survive."

Taking the Harmugstahl notes almost greedily, he spent some time poring over them, making various interested noises. Finally setting them aside, he finally remembered himself enough to offer his guest refreshment, though all he had were some stale biscuits and a small jug of wine. Euthymius finally opened both eyes and flew over to the back of Adelbert's chair, examining the newcomer for any mice he might be hiding on his person.

"The city fares much the same," said Hieronymus, lowering himself stiffly back into his own seat. "Mother Constanza still petitions the Lady Sforza to lift her cordon sanitaire, and the lady still refuses. The Shallyans say all those who were taken into the Great Hospital before the quarantine was imposed recovered very rapidly, and the last death that was reported inside the cordon was more than a week ago. But the lady says she wants to be sure. I am not certain if I blame her." He took a deep breath. "There is still a foulness hanging over the city. Some days I feel I can taste it on the air."

"Most importantly, though, the book is safe. I have been checking with Mother Raqiyah regularly. No-one but her has entered the sanctuary since the day it was interred."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb