New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default setting up a campain looking for advice.

Ok I am setting up a epic level campaign and just so it does not fall apart I am looking for ideas on improving my opening notes.

campaign name = Hunt for the Fallen Heroes. 3.PF

Starting level 30 Gestalt

opening plot. The heroes awaken in a dark room surrounded by what looks like priests. wearing nothing but restraining chains and shackles. As the last thing you remember were playing a MMO RPG then everything went bright then in darkness.

As an old priest with a long white beard down to his knees. walks out from the shadows says. "Sharif, why are the heroes naked and in chains? Gods man that does not make for a good impression. I apologise for the precautions. Considering what happened with the last two summoned heroes. one could not be to carful. But I am afraid you have been summoned hear because our wold is on the verge of destruction and we need heroes to face the demon lord. The last two decided to join him. At least I think it is. Must be. And are making a mockery of the church by Stealing form his most holy clergy of St Cuthbert. and giving it to the peons. The peons of all things. Why I never. Any way our processions will be returned to you and if you had fallowers if you have any, are being looked after. Sharif return them there clothing and armour. The Patriarch of the Scales of Balance will want to see them in an hour."

As you look around and eyes adjust there are about 20 heavily armed knights in the room with you watching from the shadows great swords are drawn and in front of them, watching you. As one knight nods two more lighter armoured individuals drag in your armour. As the knight starts to remove your shackles.
    After that they have there meeting with the Patriarch who will also have representatives form the fallowing other churches dedicated to Boccob, Heironesous, Wee Jas, and Pelor.

After that they are free to explore the world.

World - World just flip the map of Europe up side down. with the British Iles being in the south Atlantic. Bring Controlled by Elves. And the main land mostly controlled mostly by Humans in the empire. (At least they think so)
    The empire is in a bit of chaos with many of the dukes fighting between them selves. As the Emperor is dead and left only a 5-year-old daughter as the air to the throne. With dukes deciding to chose a new emperor by the way of the sword.
    Anyway, they are in the city the equivalent to medieval Paris.

Anyways the idea is having them explore a bit then, then fallow the clues to were the fallen hero’s have made their base. Also they could go after clues of there forces and his abilities. Also give them some false clues sprinkled in. like accuses the hero of kid napping women form a village. To breed an army of werewolves. Only to find out it was high level hob goblin slavers. Form the North. Or the fallen hero him self as set up a trap.
    Last edited by Stormwolf69; 2019-01-16 at 03:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: setting up a campain looking for advice.

If you aren't already, I would strongly suggest either banning or heavily modding epic spellcasting. It's utterly broken in its current state.

3. - Top - End - #3

WolfInSheepsClothing

True, so very true. I was going to put that not in the character creation.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

what sort of advice do you seek?

on first glance here's some concerns:
    unless the restraining chains are a very powerful artifact that shuts down everything, there's a lot of builds which could just open up by attacking the apparent captors and doing quite well at it.

that line about stealing from the church and giving to the peons sounds very robin hood. they might conclude that this church is corrupt. (if it is, then that's not a problem of course).

the campaign doesn't feel very epic; for how powerful lvl 30 gestalt heroes would be the rest of the world doesn't sound THAT high level. If everyone is up there in the levels, then you'll have to gloss over the world-building repercussions of that.

They shouldn't really need to "explore" per se, I'm not quite sure what you mean by explore though; by the sound of it the world itself is well-mapped, and they have enough high level contacts via their summoners that they can easily find out whatever they need to know about the areas; I'd also expect a lot of the work of clue-hunting to be done by varoius low-levels, with the party called in for muscle when a real fight is expected. and with the level of magic they'd have even if something weren't pre-mapped it could be done pretty fast.
    Last edited by zlefin; 2019-01-16 at 09:09 PM.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

5. - Top - End - #5

WolfInSheepsClothing

well, the church is more heavy-handed like having a group of lvl 15 -20 paladins with a judge dread attitude of "I am the law running around".

half the problem is I want them in a spot where they don't know how they can trust.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf69 View Post
    well, the church is more heavy-handed like having a group of lvl 15 -20 paladins with a judge dread attitude of "I am the law running around".

half the problem is I want them in a spot where they don't know how they can trust.
    hmm, sounds tricky; a paladin with a judge dredd attitude would still need to be good on the whole, or else they'd lose their paladin powers (or you'd have to houserule the paladins to work differently) the actual judge dredd is generally viewed as lawful neutral. similarly, detect good, plus a host of other magics, should serve to find decent indicators of who is trustworthy. or just a PC with a high sense motive skill, not all of the enemies can have that good a bluff score.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf69 View Post
    This sort of a thing isn't the sort of problem level 30 characters face, or hell, even level 17 (where you can mindrape/programmed amnesia people into absolute obedience), perhaps even as low as level 9 (when dominate comes online and trust becomes a non-factor). You can't have mundane problems like this and have level 30 characters (can't have your cake and eat it too), there are just too many options available to level 30 characters, up to and including simply not needing to trust anyone because they can be entirely self sufficient while maintaining the capabilities and output of, quite frankly, a very large nation. Not knowing who you can trust is an aspect of powerlessness, and level 30 characters simply aren't powerless.
    Last edited by Crake; 2019-01-16 at 11:34 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

8. - Top - End - #8

WolfInSheepsClothing

maybe I should go with a different way taking the problem form elder scrolls for example elder scrolls approach with soon portals going to abyss will open and the first three heroes that were summoned were as follows.

the robin hood type character

A werewolf Lord that went out and had taken over a dwarf hold. And now there is a rumour of him made some sort of deal with the succubus queen. who is apposite at his side. As he is atracting many types of best men to this hold. and he is enoring summons form the church to answer for these charges. With the high presstess of Weejas makeing snide remaks about how, he is over reacting.

third one a Lich told them "Screw you guys I am finding a way home." And teleported away. before the archmage of Normandy was assassinated he apparently has been makeing a base of power and building an army of undead and constructs.