New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Far Cry Primal - How is it?

So my only experience of Far Cry was FC4, and I had a great time of it. I would like to revisit that gameplay one day, and I had my eyes set on Far Cry 5. But I am watching Noah Caldwell-Gervais's look at all Far Crys, and he is saying that the game's thematic are utterly noncommittal and have as much conviction to them as wet paste.

On the other hand, he praised Far Cry Primal's thematics and atmospheres of being on the dawn of civilisation, with enemies reminiscent of both past and future of humanity.

I wasn't that interested, but is it worth the detour?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Far Cry Primal - How is it?

As I understand it, if you've played one Far Cry you've pretty much played them all. I only played a little bit of 4 before I realized the gameplay cycle was almost identical to Far Cry 3. Even Far Cry Primal's map was recycled from Far Cry 4.

That said, I think Primal is the most different, in that they don't get to recycle the guns and enemy types ad nauseum because Primal predates the gun. So the enemy variety differs at least somewhat.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Technically, if you've played any Far Cry since 3, you've played them all. 1 and 2 were completely different.

And I suppose Blood Dragon was aesthetically different enough.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Same gameplay loop, different time period.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Blood Dragon is worth it purely for the aesthetic, imo.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Same gameplay loop, different time period.
    Yhea but I liked the loop. Especially after taking a break, it's nice going back there.

Worth it, or should I got Far Cr 5?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

If you enjoy the Far Cry gameplay loop (which is not a bad thing at all, I also enjoy it), then feel free to acquire the next one in the series. You're sure to enjoy it as well. It's your money, and those games are long enough to generally be worth what you spend on them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Get Primal in my opinion -- it's somewhat different than the usual Far Cry gameplay, playing a bit more like a survival game in some places. Especially the nights in early game can get a bit hairy, which is something you never experience in other Far Cry games.

Also, it's quite fun to one-shot cavemen and animals alike with a well thrown spear.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2019-01-18 at 01:38 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Get Primal in my opinion -- it's somewhat different than the usual Far Cry gameplay, playing a bit more like a survival game in some places. Especially the nights in early game can get a bit hairy, which is something you never experience in other Far Cry games.

Also, it's quite fun to one-shot cavemen and animals alike with a well thrown spear.
    Survival, especially at night?

Ohhh... Playing Dying Lights at the moment. I guess I shouldn't jump back into that pit right away? XD

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

I'd argue that Far Cry 3 is the best of the newer ones. It definitely had the best setting, story, and characters. Plus you can easily get it bundled with Blood Dragon which is also great.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Survival, especially at night?

Ohhh... Playing Dying Lights at the moment. I guess I shouldn't jump back into that pit right away? XD
    I mean, not survival-survival -- you don't do logistics and worry about permadeath, but it's more atmospheric, "you're sneaking through the grass with a spear in your hand, and hear a growling just next to you" kind of thing.

12. - Top - End - #12

Ohhhhh okay. I know nobody asked for an update, but I will give one.

I picked up Primal in the end. I have to say, it's a REALLY satisfying experience. I went into it with the Survivor mode, because I wanted to experience the atmosphere as much as possible, the immersion. **** it's actually fantastic. There's nothing so far I don't like about the game. I really feel like playing a man from 10,000 BC, trying to make his people survive.

I just am scared crapless to go out at night. I got ambushed by a pack of wolves and barely managed to reach a campfire site where I lit fire. Man that was great.

You know the one touch I especially like? Whenever I restart my game, and the storyteller gives me a quick update as to what's the story I have done so far. Again, the atmosphere and thematic of the game is on POINT.

I really don't get why people whine about it being a reused FC4 map. I mean, you approach the map from a different angle, so there's that. But also, COME ON, the game and feel and structure of the game itself is so different, what's the matter? If anything, I think it's just more awesome to feel that you are the first men building society in the land that will one day be Kyrat.

Oh, and the language is great.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I picked up Primal in the end. I have to say, it's a REALLY satisfying experience. I went into it with the Survivor mode, because I wanted to experience the atmosphere as much as possible, the immersion. **** it's actually fantastic. There's nothing so far I don't like about the game. I really feel like playing a man from 10,000 BC, trying to make his people survive.

I just am scared crapless to go out at night. I got ambushed by a pack of wolves and barely managed to reach a campfire site where I lit fire. Man that was great.

You know the one touch I especially like? Whenever I restart my game, and the storyteller gives me a quick update as to what's the story I have done so far. Again, the atmosphere and thematic of the game is on POINT.

I really don't get why people whine about it being a reused FC4 map. I mean, you approach the map from a different angle, so there's that. But also, COME ON, the game and feel and structure of the game itself is so different, what's the matter? If anything, I think it's just more awesome to feel that you are the first men building society in the land that will one day be Kyrat.

I actually fairly recently got into the Far Cry series and finished FC4 some weeks ago and couple days ago started Primal ( got FC5 in last Steam sale on weekend) and I msut say liking it more than th eothers. I can see where they recycled stuff from previous games, though didn't know about the map, thanks for the spoiler, but mostly it doesn't bother me. The added survival and crafting village stuff resonates with me. Though I also loved that part of Fallout4.

As someone who plays Assassin Creed also the series feels quite familiar anyway. Love how I got my Eagle vision back e.g. I think it all works quite well in this setting.

And yes, I like yesterday continued on a save and got the narration and thought that bit was brilliantly conceived.

It's funny I was thinking like an hour ago it's odd I've not seen any Far Cry threads on the boards.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-02-15 at 04:15 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Cool that you had a similar experience. They just nailed the atmosphere in this one.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Mind. If there are so few Wenja... how come there is always some showing up needing help whenever I go somewhere to do somethign else.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Mind. If there are so few Wenja... how come there is always some showing up needing help whenever I go somewhere to do somethign else.
    My rule about video game lore: never take the NPC numbers by face value.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Cool that you had a similar experience. They just nailed the atmosphere in this one.
    I was capping my pants in the Cave of Bones. Four mountain lions?!?! I desperately lit a fire and struggled to keep them at bay with a flamed spear.

You were right about the feel of killing an enemy with a thrown spear.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

You were right about the feel of killing an enemy with a thrown spear.
    Right? Normally I'm more than satisfied with just a bow or a throwing knife in my FPS, but the throwing spear really moves thing up a notch.

19. - Top - End - #19

Also. I love my jaguar. He is the best, the light of my day.

There is nothing quite like trolling an outpost with a few berserker shards, then picking off the survivors with a jaguar.