New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Your favourite PCs you've ever GM'd for

As GMs we do like to share horror stories, don't we? I get it. It's good fun. If anything's going to salve the experience of putting up with "that guy/girl" it's turning to someone afterwards and going "Phwoar, what was that about?" But I'd like to flip the script for a moment, put it in reverse, if you will. So how about some tales of players who came to the table with great characters? Characters that were a pleasure to write around, that you looked forward to seeing each week, fully realised, rich, well RPd, whatever criteria you wish to use. I feel like we need to champion the successes more than we currently do, so I wanna hear about 'em.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Your favourite PCs you've ever GM'd for

Huh. Well, there's a lot of PCs I've loved GMing for. I'm not sure that I could pick favorite. I suppose I'll start with a character I haven't had a good excuse to talk about before.

... Except I remember how spell his name. So we'll call him K.

K was all about style. He was foppishly dressed, attended by servants, and, once he achieved power, would introduce himself by an ever-increasing (and totally bogus) title. Like most of this player's characters, he was totally campy, but he took it to 11 with K. As his intro got longer, he would joke about everyone falling asleep during it, and, by the end, his character would fall asleep while being introduced.

It was a great reminder that we were here to have fun, not just crunch dice and roll numbers.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2019-01-17 at 07:23 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Well I'll tell my "Favortie Horror Story Character".

What I mean is that I worked with the player as they created this character. We developed backstory, I added things to my world to accommodate this character is was a BEAUTIFUL idea to me... Until he got to the actual table. The character was killed within 3 sessions (Not by DM Fiat, but by player stupidity)

Spoiler: Kyrvos, Half Celestial Goliath Revenant
    Show

So Kyrvos started off as a wonderful character. He was part of a multi-race kingdom's Army. Part of a 'special forces' Unit. He did the missions that no one else could handle, mostly as the muscle and body guard of the more subtle types. At 7 foot tall Kyrvos was FAR from subtle himself. He was a bit rough around the edges, but when your life is as a killing machine it's hard not to be.

He was given a special mission. His unit was to attach to a regular army force that was to forcefully occupy a nearby village under the influence of their enemy. He was given a very specific task during the combat. The illegitimate son of the King was being hidden in this town and the kingdom could not afford a future attempt to claim the throne. Kyrvos was to ensure that he didn't make it out of the town alive. I problem being, no one had seen this lost heir since he was 2 (now 7). So Kyrvos was instructed to kill any child between the ages of 5 and 10.

He followed his orders with brutal efficiency, despite his own personal apprehension over the moral implications of his actions. The mission came first, and he would do what he had to do.

After the fight Kyrvos was accused of going berserk and slaughtering Innocents. He tried to explain that he was given orders to prevent the escape of an enemy of the kingdom. He was then told, by the same commanding officer that have him the initial order, that no such order was given and that there was nothing to support the idea that an illegitimate heir to the throne even existed, let alone was in this town.

Kyrvos was put on trial and found guilty of war crimes, sentenced to be 'Hung by the neck until dead', which due to the strength of his body and will to live, was a long and painful ordeal.

During his time in the noose Kyrvos forsook his Celestial heritage as they refused to aid him in his time of need. His 'guide' knew of his supposed mission and did nothing to avert his actions, or warn of the betrayal of his Commander. In doing so he was abandoned by the Celestials and his soul left to wander and never find peace. Until he was approached with a deal from an unlikely source.

The Fiendish God of Death offered his soul a chance to return to the mortal world as a revenant of revenge. He would be given his body, soul fused to the reanimated remains of his former self. The cost, was that upon completion of his revenge he would serve the God as an agent of his will on the mortal plane.

[Campaign Background: The party is aligned with the chaotic denizens of the Shadowfell. They are NOT evil, just chaotic, most of the fiends are neutral with a larger percent of the remaining being good rather then evil. This is important to illustrate that he wasn't aligned with 'the bad guys' or part of an evil campaign.]

Session 1: Enter Kyrvos the Revenant Paladin of Murderus Hobous.
    The character, rather then being clad in armor wears the decaying faces of everyone he's killed. Each stitched onto the last without curing it preparing in any way.
    The silent type, who's only actions during scenes with NPCs was to intimidate with threats to their lives [The party was hired to HELP these people and while collecting information if they didn't have enough he THREATENED them to try to get them to remember something] (Note he never actually attacks anyone do the murder hobo part is a slight stretch)
    Session 2: The loner, I'm superior and don't need a party.
    (Partly caused by some bad DMing on my part, but I totally let him reap the 'rewards' of his actions) The party enters a small dungeon designed to give some social, explorative, and combat XP. The party enters and runs into social part A. Kyrvos follows the first lead that might go towards combat, alone, as the rest of the party deals with the social aspect.
    Kyrvos gets into a fight and due to his build (I allowed a feat in exchange for a flaw. Kyrvos was weak to fire and acid in return for taking Heavy Armor Master.) Did extremely well and gained XP while the party did not.
    They eventually regroup and get into a large fight where Kyrvos leveled (I require a long rest to gain the benefits) Kyrvos chose to rest by himself while the party continued to explore.
    End of session the party withdraws to a friendly portion to rest themselves. Cue Kyrvos' rest concluding during theirs. Rather then joining the group he chooses to continue on his own... Straight into my first 'boss' fight of the campaign where he proceeded to eat Acid Balls from their goblin witch and being restrained by multiple grappling goblins as the King wails on him with his Longsword. (Due to bad rolls Kyrvos connected with 0 hits during this fight)

And so concludes the tale of the character I THOUGHT was going to be a Lawful Neutral harbinger of vengeance and unwitting attempted assassin of another PC (the ACTUAL target from his treason mission) turned into a shambling zombie man with a rotting face stapled on his face, to which he repeatedly added to after every combat, who was more concerned with mindless fighting then trying to figure out what happened, or support the party that he had joined because there was a rumor that the turn that was hiring them MIGHT have information on the traitor that got him killed (they totally did as his was the first character sub plot I was going to start as it was my entry point into another characters)

Hope someone enjoyed my book :P

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

That is a bit hard but I think it was Noroschell, a Tzimisce from a Vampire: The dark Ages campaign.

The Player made him a very mighty Tzimisce who was not interested at all in the usual fleshcrafting and was more interested in plant-Research, and pretty much any other stuff that might help him with his Research. He was very easy to get interested in different stuff be it achieving a hagstone or just rumors about a interesting mushroom, or a Crab with one big claw.

The absolute best Thing was at the first session where he masqueraded as a Toreador of the 11th Generation, with a complete list of sire's till Toreador. He put some night-blooming roses in his hair (plant-Research, remember) and had a Appearance specialization that basically was "I look like I'm Fitting right in the current Fashion, body-wise". (He did this much flesh-crafting.)

He also reacted very interesting to different situations. He drank the blood of one of the Fey and next time they came into a Inn and heard some Music, he spontaneously burst into the most wonderful song, ever heard by everyone... The next night he didn't even know what happened and there were a lot of People there who wanted to hear him sing (even a noble!) He opened his mouth... And in his own words he sounded like a rusted watering can in the midst of breaking of the voice.

They were thrown out of the town after that.