New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Co-op living card games?

A friend introduced me to Legend of the Five Rings recently and I love the complexity and playing with cards, as well as the marketing model. Never liked the idea of buying blind booster packs, not knowing if you'll get anything useful.

The thing I didn't like is the reason I don't play a lot of games that aren't TTRPGs: I am not a very good loser. I grew out of overtly acting like a butt-head about it awhile ago, but losing a competitive game still just makes me feel bad, so I try to avoid them.

I'm looking for suggestions for Living Card Games I can check out that are cooperative rather than competitive. Losing against a 'computer' doesn't give me the same crappy feeling, and working together to win with my friends is always fun.

I've looked at the Lord of the Rings living card game and I'll probably try that one. Anyone have other suggestions?
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Co-op living card games?

We started playing the Arkham lcg in my group this Christmas. It's pretty fun, we really like it so far.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Lord of the Rings and Arkham Horror are the two that I know of. They have some mechanics in common so it's potentially not too hard to switch from one to the other (although if you're new to both I guess it could lead to confusion).

If you want to get into LotR I can recommend some blogs, podcasts and other community resources. Also, important advice: the 'starter decks' you get in the Core Set that are just all the cards for a single sphere are not very good. You should be able to beat the first quest in the box with 3 of them (The Tactics deck is too combat-focused to really work in solo play) but if you want to move beyond that you probably want to start building your own decks at that point.
    Also, you will almost certainly get some of the rules wrong at first. There are people who've been playing LotR for years and are still discovering things they're doing wrong.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I didn't personally like the game, but Sentinels of the Multiverse goes for the same niche, albeit with no customization element.

If you're up for more genres than just CCG-style play, there's the Legendary deckbuilders, like Marvel Legendary. They're technically semi-competitive, but only in that everyone's having a friendly competition to see who can handle more villains; you otherwise are all fighting against the same enemies. A lot of times, I just ignore the score element. Difficulty can be really unpredictable, though.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    I didn't personally like the game, but Sentinels of the Multiverse goes for the same niche, albeit with no customization element.
    Came in here to recommend Sentinels, so I'll end up seconding it. The superhero theme is spot on. Out of curiosity, CarpeGuitarrem, what don't you like about Sentinels?
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Came in here to recommend Sentinels, so I'll end up seconding it. The superhero theme is spot on. Out of curiosity, CarpeGuitarrem, what don't you like about Sentinels?
    Largely, it felt like there wasn't much to the gameplay, because every deck had one specific (often simple) flowchart you were supposed to follow, and there really wasn't any way to diverge from that. I didn't like that playing my character didn't involve a lot of choice, or at least that's how I felt.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.