New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default John Wick 3 Official Trailer

Spoiler: Trailer
    Show

Well, they certainly know their target audience. It's even more ridiculous and over the top than the last one. It's awesome

High points - John Wick riding on a horse headshots a dude on a motorcycle, appears to kill somebody with a book, and the whole thing has Frank Sinatra singing Impossible Dream in the background.

This gonna be amazing.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2019-01-19 at 07:06 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: John Wick 3 Official Trailer

I dunno. The appeal of JW was that he was skilled (and everything was ridiculously classy). This looks very bombastic and... well, it doesn't look very JW. Looks more like a generic action film.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I gotta kinda agree with Jack here. What made the first John Wick great was his precision and efficiency of the main character and the fight scenes. Where they ridiculous and possibly impossible? Sure. But they were grounded in realism with the character very specifically taking cover, using clear tactics, actual ju jitsu, ambushes to kill as many people as possible before they can get a gun on him, that sort of thing to make it feel brutal and believable.

That's still in the trailer, but seeing a bunch of katana wielding motorcyclists seems a bit strained from that sentiment.

All that said, it has the same writers, directors, and stunt choreographers. I'm going to see it, and hope my fears are just my pessimism acting up.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah. There's a part of me wondering if this film is able to balance the depiction of Wick as the top badass but still getting almost killed like an elite near mortal versus the risk of turning into a generically invincible action hero.

But I liked the first two enough that I'm sold anyways...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    I dunno. The appeal of JW was that he was skilled (and everything was ridiculously classy). This looks very bombastic and... well, it doesn't look very JW. Looks more like a generic action film.
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

He was totally skilled in John Wick 2 when they gave him a bulletproof suit. And he killed 3 guys with a pencil because he's so skilled and not because they were all idiots.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2019-01-19 at 10:44 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Sword fights on motorcycles? What is this, Final Fantasy VII?

But the trailer looks pretty cool, though. What do you all think the odds are on Halle Berry's attack dogs surviving the film? Fifty-fifty?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Mecha View Post
    Sword fights on motorcycles? What is this, Final Fantasy VII?

But the trailer looks pretty cool, though. What do you all think the odds are on Halle Berry's attack dogs surviving the film? Fifty-fifty?
    Probably equal to Wick's dog surviving - and I think its pretty high.

Last thing they want to do is get branded as the film series that kills dogs.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I am simple man, I see a plot about dog, I like it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

As noted by others, I loved the first John Wick and was mildly disappointed with how much of a caricature JW2 became. It appears they're moving further into the ridiculous category rather than returning to the roots of the original. I'll probably still go see it in theaters but I won't have the same high hopes for 3 that I had for 2.

Kingsman, while never realistic, had essentially the same issue with its sequel. It seems like the studio heads get more interested in controlling things when the first movie in a series is more popular than anticipated.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The interesting thing to me will be to see how well he can handle himself for a long time without the resources he was able to draw on in the first movie and most of the second. Presumably his new status means that most/all of those resources are not available.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The interesting thing to me will be to see how well he can handle himself for a long time without the resources he was able to draw on in the first movie and most of the second. Presumably his new status means that most/all of those resources are not available.
    That's what Halle Barry and her attack dogs are for. (And maybe Laurence Fishburne, too?)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    I gotta kinda agree with Jack here. What made the first John Wick great was his precision and efficiency of the main character and the fight scenes. Where they ridiculous and possibly impossible? Sure. But they were grounded in realism with the character very specifically taking cover, using clear tactics, actual ju jitsu, ambushes to kill as many people as possible before they can get a gun on him, that sort of thing to make it feel brutal and believable.

That's still in the trailer, but seeing a bunch of katana wielding motorcyclists seems a bit strained from that sentiment.

All that said, it has the same writers, directors, and stunt choreographers. I'm going to see it, and hope my fears are just my pessimism acting up.
    Netflix's Polar delivers that, a sort of "what if John Wick was like Jason Bourne" style.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Netflix's Polar delivers that, a sort of "what if John Wick was like Jason Bourne" style.
    Good to hear, that's definitely going on my list then.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Kind of. But then they got super lazy at the end, where
    Spoiler
    Show
    he just arbitrarily mows down guys with MAGIC MACHINE GUNS.

Plus just how bone-headedly STUPID Blut's entire plan was.

Spoiler: DA PLAN
    Show
    I mean don't get me wrong. Money makes the world go round and killing former assassins to save money makes sense.

But the AMOUNT of money they're talking about just doesn't make any sense.

So he's willing to kill a bunch of old assassins over $29 million...... and yet Vivian pays Kaiser $2 million for a single hit? Yes, obviously this was higher than the normal bounty, but it can't be that much different, Vivian was much smarter than Blut and wouldn't have offered him an amount that she thought would raise his suspicions. Kaiser owns a huge amount of properties worth millions before that (we saw 3 different ones), and he has enough that he can afford to send $200,000 a year for what is implied to be 10+ years. So $29 million just is not a convincing amount of money to be worried about.

But then seriously, you couldn't come up with another way to make $29 million with a trained crew of assassins and assorted other personnel that didn't involve antagonizing incredibly dangerous people? You'd have to think Vivian in particular would have been able to think up a better way of making that small an amount.

Like don't get me wrong, I was entertained, it was a decent movie, but it was barely an excuse plot.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2019-02-11 at 04:05 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    This was my initial impression as well.

That said... perhaps Wick has perfected his craft and can afford to be ridiculously precise and classy because he has very few peers.

But!

When every single assassin is out to execute you, he has to lose the polish and go all out, and this is what we get.

I'll go see it when it comes out.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thu'umhammer View Post
    As noted by others, I loved the first John Wick and was mildly disappointed with how much of a caricature JW2 became. It appears they're moving further into the ridiculous category rather than returning to the roots of the original. I'll probably still go see it in theaters but I won't have the same high hopes for 3 that I had for 2.
    Agreed. Somewhere in the middle of John Wick 2 I just started laughing out loud at the absurdity unfolding on the screen. The action scenes are cool and all, but the entire world and plot of JW2 strained my suspension of disbelief so badly that it had to be taken away in a straightjacket, laughing maniacally the whole way.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.