New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Home is a strange place - IC, D&D 3,5, Solo

It is a gorgeous ruin: Mosaic floor, a vaulted ceiling supported by tall, slender pillars, the faded remains of tapestries hanging from the walls. You rise from a giant slab of marble, and gaze upon the broken splendor of it: Sunlight thrown in dashes from a large section of fallen roof, and the gateway outside. Dry leaves have blown in and collected everywhere, and where the sun touches the floor, grass and weeds have pushed through, creating a small garden in part of the mosaic.

If you decide to consider the slab of marble an altar, then before it stands a pulpit, upon which rests a book.

Otherwise, the room is empty. You hear birdsong, and the wind rustling in the tall grass outside.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

You have a heads-up display, on which various status messages are shown. I indicated as much in the recruitment thread. Much of it is nonsense to you - you have no idea what a 'field projection unit' is, for instance. Other things make sense: Prime Motor Functions basically means your actuators are ok, and so on.

Diagnostics and boot sequence is still running.

Some things are voiced. The most important status messages, for instance. Your A(I)SSIST ©® shall speak in TEAL.

And the board is yours. Go anywhere - do anything =)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Home is a strange place - IC, D&D 3,5, Solo

Leon woke up and look around. "Oh man. What just happened here?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Androids dream of electric birds.

Line after line of status codes float in front of Adam's HUD, so stay red, some have always been green, some change, some do not. It is a meditation of sorts, and Adams feels lost in it, so very lost, how long has he been analyzing the HUD? Why has he been analyzing it? He used to know, but now he can't remember. There is a sound, some corruption of the data flow, what is it?

It is a bird, Adam

Who said that, how do you know?

You said that Adam, you know because your database categorizes it as such.

I said that? Who is Adam? Do I like birds?

Yes, you said that, you are talking to yourself. You are Adam, a learning being. You <line corrupted> are undetermined on your prejudices for birds. Do you like birds, Adam?

I...think I like birds, for now, their harmonic pattern is interesting to my sonic sensors.

You are Adam, a learning being, you like birds, Adam, for now.

Very good. Visual sensors on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Keen
    It is a gorgeous ruin: Mosaic floor, a vaulted ceiling supported by tall, slender pillars, the faded remains of tapestries hanging from the walls. You rise from a giant slab of marble, and gaze upon the broken splendor of it: Sunlight thrown in dashes from a large section of fallen roof, and the gateway outside. Dry leaves have blown in and collected everywhere, and where the sun touches the floor, grass and weeds have pushed through, creating a small garden in part of the mosaic.

If you decide to consider the slab of marble an altar, then before it stands a pulpit, upon which rests a book.

Otherwise, the room is empty.
    Adam rises and sits on the marble slab. He takes in the scene and considers it. He lets the sunlight touch his face and pauses to relish the input to his infrared, ultraviolet, and thermal sensors. A smile, Adam is a learning being that can smile. He takes a moment to examine his damaged hand, the damage appears extensive, and probably cannot be mended currently without additional resources. Adam must learn to repair his hand. Adam then stands and approaches the pulpit to examine the book.

Show
    Making a heal check on the damaged hand to see how bad it is: [roll]1d20+2[roll]
    Last edited by Ancient; 2019-01-20 at 04:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Spoiler: Heal check
    Show

The self-diagnostic routines spout a string of technical mumbo-jumbo, some of which you understand, much of which you do not. But the bottom line is that the actuators are located in the arm, not the hand, so it's mostly bent parts and broken joints.

A(I)SSIST: Repairs required. See needed parts below. Time to print at standard A2 facility: 2.12 hours. Time to install at standard A2 facility: 1.51 hours. Time to self-install: 3.23 hours.
    And then a long list of parts names and specifications.

It's definitely fixable, but you have no idea where to find a 'standard A2 facility'. Maybe they're common as muck? =)

The book is ... well, presumably it's very ancient. Maybe it got like this in a week, who can really know? Fact is, it's a moldy, decomposed mess. It's still apparent that it was a literal (and maybe literary) work of art, once - beautifully illuminated, each page an individual work worth many hours of effort. But now, it's essentially useless.

Unless ...

A(I)SSIST: Structural scanners offline. Stand by.
    Scanners damaged or not installed. Current capacity: Limited, 12%.
    Scanning.

Volume contains quasi-religious texts regarding The Created, and The Constructed. No further data available. Advanced scanners required.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show

Knowledge, Arcane: (1d20+3)[20]
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-01-21 at 02:19 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen
    The self-diagnostic routines spout a string of technical mumbo-jumbo, some of which you understand, much of which you do not. But the bottom line is that the actuators are located in the arm, not the hand, so it's mostly bent parts and broken joints.

A(I)SSIST: Repairs required. See needed parts below. Time to print at standard A2 facility: 2.12 hours. Time to install at standard A2 facility: 1.51 hours. Time to self-install: 3.23 hours.
    And then a long list of parts names and specifications.

It's definitely fixable, but you have no idea where to find a 'standard A2 facility'. Maybe they're common as muck? =)
    Hello A(I)SSIST are you another voice in my head? I am Adam, a learning being, please identify.

Adam examines the appendage.

It won't be much use in this condition. It does not limit me much, but...I desire wholeness, to be complete. I must prioritize finding one of these "A2 Facillities"

The book is ... well, presumably it's very ancient. Maybe it got like this in a week, who can really know? Fact is, it's a moldy, decomposed mess. It's still apparent that it was a literal (and maybe literary) work of art, once - beautifully illuminated, each page an individual work worth many hours of effort. But now, it's essentially useless.

Unless ...

A(I)SSIST: Structural scanners offline. Stand by.
    Scanners damaged or not installed. Current capacity: Limited, 12%.
    Scanning.

Volume contains quasi-religious texts regarding The Created, and The Constructed. No further data available. Advanced scanners required.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show

Knowledge, Arcane: (1d20)[7]

Before taking a more in-depth look at the book, Adam peruses the room, searching for something to bind his arm with and taking a careful stock of what is in this room. It would seem that the most appropriate item is the toga he is wearing, but to use the whole piece of cloth seems a bit of a waste. he looks at his mangled hand again and detaches one of the sharper bits, rubbing it on the stone floor to make a tiny but sharp knife and wrapping the handle in some of the loose wire. From here, he cuts away enough of the toga to make a sling, and ties the rest into a sarong. This complete, he begins his analysis of the book while pondering what else he has found in the room.

Spoiler: OOC and Rolls
    Show

Search of the Room: (taking 20 on a Search)= 22
    Craft Weapon-making (untrained, improvised tools) on a tiny knife: (1d20)[7]
    Make a sling Heal: (1d20+2)[14]
    Knowledge Religion check on the book (I'll definitely take your roll on the Know:Arcana): (1d20+2)[18]
    Last edited by Ancient; 2019-01-21 at 01:40 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

I am A(I)SSIST, the command interface for this model. My main purpose is to point out details of the environment, or this unit, that may escape your immediate attention. I have a much narrower focus than you, which means I'm often able to assist with specifics. Overall, this allows you greater freedom in general, but faster responses in any crisis situation. The parameters of my focus are user-adaptable.

It also bears mentioning that, my name none withstanding, I am not a true AI, but merely an advanced command interface.

A thorough search of the 'temple' turns up nothing - there is literally nothing here of any consequence.

Show

Making items of low complexity and little game impact does not require a roll. However, your hand does not disassemble easily, especially not without tools. But cutting cloth on a sharp edge of the broken hand is no problem. You have no particular need of a sling - but if you want one, you have one.

Knowledge, Religion doesn't reveal anything new. As stated, it's 'pseudo-religion' - whatever that means. Arguably, all religion can be viewed as such (depending on personal conviction). Possibly seeing it as such is a relic of whoever wrote the A(I)SSIST code to begin with.

Also, a more in-depth look at the book isn't possible. It's eaten by mold, it's pages are fused together. To read it, you need access to more advanced scanners. From what A(I)SSIST said, presumably such scanners exist. You may even have them - but offline.

7. - Top - End - #7

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    I am A(I)SSIST, the command interface for this model. My main purpose is to point out details of the environment, or this unit, that may escape your immediate attention. I have a much narrower focus than you, which means I'm often able to assist with specifics. Overall, this allows you greater freedom in general, but faster responses in any crisis situation. The parameters of my focus are user-adaptable.

It also bears mentioning that, my name none withstanding, I am not a true AI, but merely an advanced command interface.

A thorough search of the 'temple' turns up nothing - there is literally nothing here of any consequence.
    All right, A(I)SSIST, I shall now designate you are Evie, and you will respond to either Evie or A(I)SSIST from me. Is there anything pressing that I am missing about the present environment or myself that I am missing? What are your current parameters?

As he says this, he plucks a delicate wild flower from the "garden", and examines it.

I am Adam, a learning being, and I enjoy flowers.

As he receives his response from Evie, he inspects the gate and peers out at the world beyond.

Spoiler: What's out there?
    Show
    Spot roll: [roll0]
    Also checking to see if the gate is locked or operable.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

The gate is entirely off it's hinges on the left, while on the right only the bottom hinge is still intact, and that door hangs dangerously askew. The hinges are simply rusted through.

Outside is a singular view: The temple stands at the very peak of a tall mountain. It is spring, and the last snow of winter is melting, while the first flowers are peeking through. Tough grass and a few stunted bushes dot the landscape. The western slope of the mountain is clad in low-hanging clouds, and the land to the west is largely hidden below them. To the east lies wide open plains, dotted with lakes and crossed by rivers.

At the foot of the mountain lies what looks like habitation. You vision zooms in, and confirms several stone buildings.

Designation logged. Current parameters listed below. With the new name, Evie's voice also changes to a more feminine one.

Spoiler: Evie
    Show

Those parameters are mainly just fluff. Evie will sometimes volunteer information that you need - she's a just part of the descriptive text. Think of her like Jarvis, Ironman's onboard AI.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

Adam takes in the beauty of the landscape, appreciating it.

So much visual data, so much to see, so much to do. But, do what? There is a need to do SOMETHING, but what? It is undefined, lost, so must be found. I am Adam, a learning being, and I must find purpose.

Alright, Evie, lets go out there and see if we can find what we have lost. Let's try to track an easy course down and keep an eye out for....predators.

Predators does not feel like the right word, ENEMIES sounds right, but Adam has no enemies on file. Does he have enemies? Why?.

I am Adam, a learning being, and I will learn why I am wary of enemies.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

The first thing that's apparent when stepping outside is that there is a path leading to the small 'temple'. It's overgrown, sometimes to the point of disappearing entirely, but every hundred feet or so it's marked by a small pile of stacked stones.

The building seen from the outside is surprisingly ill maintained. Creepers grow everywhere, almost obscuring it from sight. It's small and square and looks to be quite old. Sure, who knows, maybe creepers grow in a few days, but Adam does consider that highly unlikely.

The path leads down the mountain to the north. While Adam contemplates, there is a small ping.

Edie pipes in: Stand by ...

Location beacon detected. Distance, 821 miles, heading 323. Location designated as: Depot. Codename: Mayfly.

11. - Top - End - #11

BlackDragon

Adam starts down the path.

821 miles, that seems...far, do we have enough...fuel? To make it to Mayfly? What do I use for fuel? Is our current heading harmonious with going to Mayfly?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Current heading alings well with a Mayfly destination.

As Adam walks down the path, and down the mountain, he comes across many strange sights. One is the broken, torn, burned out, rusted and above all ancient remains of some large machine. It seems to have been massive, striding on four limbs. It feels like being this high up a mountain side wouldn't be optimal. Edie tries to access her database, but comes up with very little - the data is incomplete and scrambled. There is a picture, but that too is full of corrupt data. The wreck is too far gone to extract any further insights, but it seems to have been destroyed by some sort of explosive impact.

Further down, the mountain sides are covered with trees, a dense forest full of life, bird song, patches of sunlight and tunnels of greenish shade. Anywhere the sun penetrates, there are thick carpets of flowers and grass, and where it doesn't, thick and undisturbed layers of old leaves and fallen branches cover the ground.

At one point, having navigated back and forth quite a bit as the trail winds down the mountain side, Adam spies a cluster of houses and fields at the foot of the mountain. Unconciously, Adam zooms in his visual sensors, easily picking up details of the distant settlement - little figures moving to and fro. Humans, he realises. Assuming the trail will terminate at the village doesn't seem entirely far fetched.

As he moves on, he enters a clearing in the forest, a small saddle on the mountain side, too windswept to have enough soil for dense vegetation. There is a small lake fed by a stream, and a small waterfall where the lake spill off across the cliff's edge. Despite the beautiful surroundings, something about the place sets Adams teeth on edge - metaphorically speaking. It's like the whole area buzzes at an unpleasant frequency - again, metaphorically, sensors indicate no unusual vibrations or emanations.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

What an interesting sensation, Adam thinks to himself, What is it? Fear? Apprehension? Longing?. Whatever it is, it is clear to Adam this place has a meaning to him, if only he could remember....

Adam inspects the waterfall, and the cliff behind it.

Spoiler: What is it?
    Show
    Search: (1d20+2)[6]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Adam's scanners and sensors sweep the area, finding nothing new. But as he approaches the waterfall, there is a rumble, and a sound - like a scream, strangely muffled, of rusted, tortured metal grinding. Definite tremors in the ground. Immediately, Edie speaks up: New energy source detected, location: Lake. Source: Unknown. Magnitude: Megajoule range. Warning: Likely military application. Combat readiness recommended.

Show

Roll initiative.

15. - Top - End - #15

BlackDragon

Adam rushes to the waterfall, taking cover behind a rock hoping to see what rises out of the lake. Hopefully, the noise of the waterfall and the cold water will mask him from some sensors.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

It is huge - emerging from the lake, ancient rusty joints complaining loudly, it's many legs straining not just against the rust and the weight of the water, but also a thick layer of sediment, mud and sunken branches and leaves. It's clearly a military model, multiple hardpoints in evidence, but it's also obvious it was near-wrecked when it hid itself in the lake.

Automated repair systems have spent powers know how long trying to restore functionality, but even the finest nanites cannot regenerate entire weapons, and most of the offensive capabilities of the giant robot are lost. A giant claw - rear-mounted, like a scorpion - still works, and there is some sort of recessed launcher hidden between it's mandibles.

Adam's scanners detect multiple weak spots, where the great machine is vulnerable despite heavy armor plating: Poorly repaired rends leave both the reactor and the core AI exposed, and external sensors are also vulnerable.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

You won the initiative, so you act first - it's somewhat of a cheat to roll initiative when you cannot yet act, but there it is: Emerging from the water, big and slow and heavy. Fight or flight =)

Just to give you an idea of what I'm thinking, several options are open: You can stay out of reach of the claw, going under it's belly (that means into the water, mind), jump unto to it (risking the claw, but putting reactor or AI into your reach), running away is an option (if you look over the waterfall, there's a nice deep pool at the bottom), or any other option you can think of that I haven't.

17. - Top - End - #17

BlackDragon

Seize the moment, Adam thinks to himself as the huge monstrosity rises. Clearly, he though he would have no chance against such a machine if it was at full strenghth, but it was far from tip top. The claw and its launcher (loaded?), give him pause but the weak points seem worth the risk. Not wanting to blow himself up in the process (or contaminate the lake), Adam, attempts to leap on the beast and tear at the exposed AI core.

Spoiler: Who Dares Wins
    Show
    Jump Check (1d20+5)[20]
    Attack! (1d20+2)[7]
    Damage? (1d20+2)[18]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

The giant machine struggles to turn and face Adam - it's neither fast nor agile, but it's easily strong enough to crush it's much smaller adversary, should the chance present itself. As Adam leaps onto it, and sprints acrosss the carapace towards it's exposed core, the claw snaps at him but fails to reach. The launcher, however, is optimally placed to protect the core, and it whines as it cycles up, then unleashes a hail of projectiles at Adam.

Hitting something as big and slow as the ancient war machine isn't hard - breaking through it's armor is another matter. Adam delivers a shattering punch to the AI core, breaking it's casing but not quite destroying the brain of the machine.

In return, the machine fires and hits Adam twice, shuriken-like discs of lasered high-polymer plasteel punching through his casing.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

I do believe it's some levels yet before Adam rolls a d20 for damage. But it's a very high roll, so I'm counting it as a 6 on a d6, for a total of 8 damage. The core wont last much beyond that.

Attacks (it has a lot of them):
    One: (1d20+2)[13] damage (1d3)[2]
    Two: (1d20+1)[17] damage (1d3)[1]
    Three: (1d20+0)[18] damage (1d3)[3]
    Four: (1d20-1)[12] damage (1d3)[2]
    Last edited by Kaptin Keen; 2019-02-20 at 08:17 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

BlackDragon

Warning indicators and damage reports scream at Adam as the disks tear through him.

This, maybe a mistake, Adam thinks to himself. It has damaged him greatly, and for what? What shall he gain by disably this beast? He probably should have just run.

But he did not, and now was too late to run, it would just cut him down fleeing. His function might cease now, and now he would not know the questions, the how, the why. But he did know one thing.

I AM ADAM!

Adam strikes the beast again.

Spoiler: Once more into the AI Breach
    Show
    To Hit: (1d20+2)[20]
    To Damage: (1d6+2)[6]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

It's like cutting the strings of a puppet - Adam punches the AI core again, and the lights instantly wink out. The giant robot collapses, sending water gushing in all directions. And just like that, it's over. The machine lies dead, halfway onto the shore of the small lake, it's many limbs sprawled around it.

There are markings on it, all but lost to time and rust. A serial number: SMN-4142 Samson. An insignia, designating this unit as 1REG, 3BDE, HMecInf. And there is a marking like a flag, a sword and closed fist on a blue background.

Other than that, it's a great big pile of scrap. Edie pipes in: The SMN-4142 line should have manipulators on the underside of the carapace, below the mandibles, which has parts compatible with your own broken left manipulator. But getting at the underside of it now may prove difficult.