The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GLoG 92: Generosity, Love, Opportunity, Growth

Quote Originally Posted by Meltdowner View Post
    [Daycare]

Oh no, that doesn't make Asher feel good! That answer deflates him a little bit, and his smile turns upside-down, but he is undeterred! "Can we be f-friends after drawing? I'll w-wait!" And he will, he's very patient! Ish! "I'll d-draw too, even!"
    [Daycare]

Annie looks at him for a moment and then shrugs. "Okay, but I gotta finish my picture." She grabs the crayon box and pulls out a few different colours. Then she stoops over her drawing and starts very carefully colouring it in.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Ironoak Cabin]

Maltrika yawns and begins to drift off as she's rocked and hears a lullaby. Reelshka's voice goes more quiet now.

"I don't mind it at all if you mention your... angelic duties or anything like that. I suppose I'm just a very down to earth person. Even being able to see spirits hasn't changed that. I don't know what we could use such power for, but if anything comes up, it's welcome. Villains and other troublemakers haven't bothered us in a while, but if they do, it'll be good to have someone who can scare them off."
    [Ironoak Cabin]

Ruth holds the baby close until she's asleep, then places her in her spot, the ball beside her. She also lowers her voice, for the sake of the sleeping babies. "Oh, Reelshka! My power is not just for smiting evil, but to work for the advancement of good. From 'white magic' to the ability to help facilitate redemption... I am a spirit meant to guide nature and the cosmos, just one of many of my ilk." Then she turns to look at the door. "And, I am a 'mother' of sorts, taking care of a young spirit who's eager to learn about the world and meet its inhabitants. I know a thing or two about handling children." Both times, she actually makes the air-quotes sign with both hands.

"Even in a time of peace, I'm always here to help, and ensure that peace lasts. For instance, there's a child here, Sasha. Have you met her? I think she and that ninja girl should meet."
    Karasu, she's referring to, of course.
    Avvie by yours truly.

You only need a few good friends in life; and you absolutely stick by them no matter what.

Mirai, Asher, Ezra, Shuyoru
    Karasu, Ruth, Rosalind, Swetlana

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

"We do seem to be following different ideas of heroism," Sophie observes. "I think of heroes as people who do what's right even if it's difficult. Not people who seek fame and adulation."

[Ironoak Cabin]

Reelshka's ears twitch.

"If you say so. Any help, magical or otherwise, is welcome. Is this young spirit Asher? I do know Sasha, yes. Sophie said her father had caused her... condition. I suppose having a connection to shadow might help them connect. It is worth a try."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    Annie looks at him for a moment and then shrugs. "Okay, but I gotta finish my picture." She grabs the crayon box and pulls out a few different colours. Then she stoops over her drawing and starts very carefully colouring it in.
    [Daycare]

Asher's smile is returned to him! "Yayyyy!" He scampers off, leaving her to colour in for a few moments, and returns with a paper, pencil and some crayons, drawing his mother's human form, as well as himself.

His drawing? It looks really good.

Reelshka's ears twitch.

"If you say so. Any help, magical or otherwise, is welcome. Is this young spirit Asher? I do know Sasha, yes. Sophie said her father had caused her... condition. I suppose having a connection to shadow might help them connect. It is worth a try."
    [Ironoak Cabin]

Ruth nods. "I didn't birth him, we angels are asexual. He came into being, like I did more than half a millennium ago, and I and another of my ilk are raising him like parents. As far as he is concerned, however, I am his mother."

Ruth turns to the sleeping babies and smiles. "He's still a bit of a crybaby, but that's normal. He is still a baby, to us at least. As for Sasha and Karasu, I'm glad you agree. I shall go get her and take her to the shadow girl after this point. Sasha should be glad to hear that her father is no more. Now that both babies are asleep, perhaps I should get to doing that now."
    Avvie by yours truly.

You only need a few good friends in life; and you absolutely stick by them no matter what.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin]

"Family doesn't require birth, certainly. Cheasadh is a proof of that." She then frowns. "I'm not sure if telling Sasha about her father's fate just yet is wise, though. She still seems to have affection for him, even if he didn't deserve any of it. From what Sophie told me, he more or less abandoned her here. Maybe it's best to wait until she comes to terms with not being under his control."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

[Daycare]

After drawing for a bit in silence, Annie looks at Asher. Abruptly she holds out her hand and demands, "I need that colour." The one he's using right now.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Outside the Infirmary]

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post
    The alien's suit shimmers, turning semi-translucent for a brief moment and revealing a layer of solar cells beneath the surface. "My ship was trailing the one that crashed, so perhaps a day or two?" She reasons. "Is there a guest house or cabin I could stay in and take a shower in? And once my ship arrives, I can easily repay the help and hospitality with some of my supplies and research."
    "Oh, that's not bad at all."

Anchor nods and points out a couple buildings.
    "That's Apple Cabin, you can stay there till your ship arrives and you get everything ready. And the bathhouse is over there. I can show you them once you've had a while to recharge. I mean, really, don't overdo it."

"We're happy to help, but what sort of research do you mean?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    ~Inner Circle~
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #698
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

Melissa shrugs. "Let's just hope that someone in the future can convince that my ideals of heroism are wrong."

Melissa, who has largely been avoiding eye-contact this whole time except for brief moments, feels like this conversation has somewhat stalled. Did it stall because it's over, she wonders, or did it stall because her views of what a hero is are just that abhorrent or out of the ordinary? "Anyway. Is there anything else you need to know about me before deciding?"

She plays with her hair, twirling it, showing that she is somewhat anxious while awaiting the response.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

Sophie puts her hands on her hips and tilts her head a little.

"I have already decided. I will help you, as much as I can. The questions I asked you were simply to find out a few things about you."

10. - Top - End - #700

[Sophie's Office]

"Oh."

Melissa stops playing with her hair.

"Okay. Thanks." That threw her off her game pretty quickly. She had already decided? That quickly? "But...shouldn't you, y'know, like check to make sure I'm not a danger or whatever? What if I'm, like, some robot-bomb-thing who only thinks she's a person because some trash-can aliens wanted to have a bargaining chip against a doctor?"" she asks, recalling an episode from the first sci-fi series that comes to mind.

Melissa's not worried about that particular example, but some of her powers could be seriously dangerous in the wrong situation, in her opinion. And she just decided? Just like that?
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

"I don't turn away people who need help. That's not what we do here, as a rule," Sophie explains. "You might or might not be dangerous, but we used to redeem villains here, remember? Besides, considering every possible angle of danger around here lends itself well to acute paranoia."

12. - Top - End - #702

[Sophie's Office]

Oh. That's...pretty reasonable, actually.
    Melissa nods to show that she agrees.

"So, what sort of paperwork I need to fill out?" she asks, assuming there'll be paperwork. It's probably a reasonable assumption.

[Arriving]

Holly the Half-Elf arrives at the GLoG campground. She just needs to head to the infirmary, ask some stuff, and then hopefully everything works out. She even knows exactly where the infirmary is; in fact, that's the building here she knows best, considering how long she spent recovering there.

She hesitates before progressing, though.

The last time she was here, spirits guarding the campground chased her and attacked her. Probably justified, of course, but she can't remember what caused them to chase her in the first place. Maybe it's because she was trying to break out of the infirmary, or looked nefarious, or somebody tipped them off and they waited until there were no other patients around, or something.
    And the only way she was able to get out of the campground safely was by holding a child hostage.

"..."
    Holly seriously hopes that doesn't happen again.
    Threatening to kill a child, in front of its terrified family or not, is not something she enjoys doing.

So, with a prayer that nothing like that happens during this trip to GLoG's infirmary, she heads towards that large cabin.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2019-08-31 at 04:15 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

13. - Top - End - #703

Default [Arriving -> Infirmary]

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    Holly the Half-Elf arrives at the GLoG campground. She just needs to head to the infirmary, ask some stuff, and then hopefully everything works out. She even knows exactly where the infirmary is; in fact, that's the building here she knows best, considering how long she spent recovering there.

She hesitates before progressing, though.

The last time she was here, spirits guarding the campground chased her and attacked her. Probably justified, of course, but she can't remember what caused them to chase her in the first place. Maybe it's because she was trying to break out of the infirmary, or looked nefarious, or somebody tipped them off and they waited until there were no other patients around, or something.
    And the only way she was able to get out of the campground safely was by holding a child hostage.

"..."
    Holly seriously hopes that doesn't happen again.
    Threatening to kill a child, in front of its terrified family or not, is not something she enjoys doing.

So, with a prayer that nothing like that happens during this trip to GLoG's infirmary, she heads towards that large cabin.
    I think when Holly arrives, she'll find a ghostly nurse asking what sort of help she needs.

No kidnappable children are immediately in view, but perhaps there's one on a bed near the back of the cabin.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Spoiler
    Show

Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

[Sophie's Office]

"There's some forms, then we'll need to work out a schedule... Come with me." Sophie will lead Melissa inside, where there's some altogether mundane paperwork to fill. Though, for some reason, it seems to take only a few moments and the forms are remarkably easy to figure out.

15. - Top - End - #705

[Infirmary]

Holly will keep that in mind.

"I'm with HALO, and we're researching some new diseases," she says, wondering exactly how helpful a ghost will be. "We need to either borrow some of your equipment, or use it to prepare some samples. Would that be alright with you?"

There. Quick, short, simple, and hopefully hard to be misinterpreted.

[Sophie's Office]

"Okay."

Melissa follows Sophie to fill out the paperwork.
    It's...remarkably simple.
    She thought it would be a lot more complicated.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

16. - Top - End - #706

Default [Holly]

[Infirmary]
    The ghost informs her that for research, Holly ought to go over to the Medical Lab, and ask a doctor.
    She can't give out medical supplies, being an insubstantial ghost and a nurse at that. They're just a bit too solid and distant.
    But she's sure it'll be fine.

[Lab]

"Come in!"
    The front room of the lab contains at least one (1) doctor, bent over a table where complex assemblies of lights and lenses shine down on a row of agar dishes. You can tell she's a doctor because of the lab coat, and you can tell which doctor by the sunglasses.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2019-09-03 at 12:51 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Spoiler
    Show

Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #707
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Lake

There's a small whooshing sound that those near the lake may notice, and whirlpool appears, except is doesn't seem to be sucking anything up. Instead, it pushes away water and debris alike. The whirlpool disappears after only a minute or so, and a head pops up where it used to be. The person the head belongs to is treading water, looking back and forth, apparently confused.
    Linklele made my awesome avatar! Thank you so much!

18. - Top - End - #708

Default Re: [Holly]

[=> Lab]

Holly, of course, thanks the ghost.
    Ghosts are really helpful, right?

When told to come in, she does. She looks around the room at the equipment, admiring it. And the doctor's lab coat. Pretty neat. She ought to get a lab coat some time. And sunglasses. They look useful.

"Hi. I'm Holly, from HALO." She then gives a quick version of the events. "We're studying some mutagenic infection but don't have the necessary equipment. Our samples keep on mutating too quickly." Of course, the problem isn't the mutagenic compound; it's Holly's own powers that are causing the problem.

Then, she gets to the important part of it: "Last time I was here, GLoG had something that could stasis-lock samples, so I was wondering if we could borrow it? Or at least use it to prepare the samples."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

19. - Top - End - #709

Default [Lab]

Well, there are helpful ghosts and there are unhelpful ghosts.

They're very useful. Keep the light from being too bright, keep people from looking you in the eyes. Great accessory. Never be anywhere without them.
    Anchor puts a label near one of the plates and stands up to greet Holly.
    "Oh, of course. I'll be happy to help."

"We haven't had to use that in a while. You'll want to bring the samples to use it here, if that's an option."
    The doctor points down the hall; the stasis machine will be kept in the back somewhere, she's pretty sure.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Spoiler
    Show

Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin - Father and Son]

"I wanted to ask about spirits, dad," Tuskfang begins, without much of an introduction. "Because I was wondering about them. I can see them because you're a shaman, right? And mommy can see them because she has a gift. But who gave her a gift? She said goblins don't have shamans."
    Ironoak Cabin - Father and Son

"I knew this day would come. I just didn't expect it so soon. I should have listened to your mother and figured out what to say before now."
    Pathfinder admits. He falls silent for a few moments as he finishes tightening the screws before shimmying out from under the bed. He'll groan as he sits up, pops his back, and then settles on the bed while patting the seat next to him. "Hop on up here and I'll tell you. Do you know how different people have different spirits and gods?" He asks. "And not everyone can see gods or spirits though it is for different reasons. Gods are distant, very far away, but spirits tend to like to hide. If you want to see them, usually you need a blessing from one."

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    "Oh, that's not bad at all."

Anchor nods and points out a couple buildings.
    "That's Apple Cabin, you can stay there till your ship arrives and you get everything ready. And the bathhouse is over there. I can show you them once you've had a while to recharge. I mean, really, don't overdo it."

"We're happy to help, but what sort of research do you mean?"
    "I am a Propagator!" Mintaka says cheerfully. "I go around to dead, dying, or damaged worlds and introduce new life on microscopic and macroscopic scales in order to make them habitable for a wide range of life. Everything from Carbon-Based to Silicon to Ferrous. My ship has all sorts of samples and I'm certain a few of the aquatic species would thrive wonderfully in the pond here without upsetting the balance." She reasons.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Pixie in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin]

"Family doesn't require birth, certainly. Cheasadh is a proof of that." She then frowns. "I'm not sure if telling Sasha about her father's fate just yet is wise, though. She still seems to have affection for him, even if he didn't deserve any of it. From what Sophie told me, he more or less abandoned her here. Maybe it's best to wait until she comes to terms with not being under his control."
    [Ironoak Cabin]

Ruth listens and nods, frowning as well. "From that point of view, you're correct, it's unwise." She admits. "I should confess that my rank of angel usually doesn't directly..." She glances at the sleeping babies and decides to shorten her statement. "In short, I seem to misunderstand people - or 'moments' - here. I have been called literal-minded and such."

"Still, I'd like to meet Sasha myself, with Karasu in tow. Have you met her? What should I expect?" She asks, watching the children sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Daycare]

After drawing for a bit in silence, Annie looks at Asher. Abruptly she holds out her hand and demands, "I need that colour." The one he's using right now.
    [Daycare]

"N-No, I'm using it r-right now." Asher replies, smiling, as he continues to colour in his mother's hair. "I'll g-give you later!"
    Avvie by yours truly.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

[Ironoak Cabin]

"Sasha is... very socially-stunted," Reelshka explains. "She doesn't know how to deal with other people. And she has an aura of palpable dread and discomfort that makes it difficult to be near her. You can Karasu should find it easier, at least."

Tuskfang climbs onto the bed next to his dad and nods vigoruously.

"Yeah! Mom said goblins have the One Below, and the Earth Queen, and um... something in gears and some others, but they don't come up and talk to people."
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-09-05 at 03:07 PM.

23. - Top - End - #713

Default [Lab]

"Yes," she says. "I, uh, I already have the samples here." But she's not carrying anything...? And no large enough pockets on her clothes to safely carry dangerous samples. Not on her skirt, not her shirt, and not on her glove that for some reason she only wears on her right hand/arm.

Holly starts to explain. "The pure sample is too dangerous to analyze at the moment, but luckily I had accidentally got some on my hand when I first discovered it, and infected flesh is slightly safer to analyze." It actually wasn't lucky.

She heads towards the back hall. "May I...?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ogre in the Playground

Ironoak Cabin - Father and Son

Pathfinder nods. "And all the spirits you see around here are minor spirits instead of Great Spirits like Dawn Wolf and Stonethrower. They're spirits of old trees and animals, the weather and sometimes of people. They help keep the world stable and shepherd others through to their rest. The reason you can see them though isn't because I'm a Shaman. It is because your grandparents are Dawn Wolf and Stonethrower. You have the blood of Great Spirits within you, and it means you are destined for many great things. What those things are, are up to you."

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

Tuskfang's eyes go wide as saucers during Pathfinder's explanation. The little boy is having some trouble processing all this.

"Whaa? But I thought grandpa and grandma were Wolfen, not spirits. You're a Wolfen and not spirit, too." He pokes Pathfinder's leg with his finger as is to reassure himself of his father's corporeality. "You've told me stories about how the Great Spirits made Wolfen."

26. - Top - End - #716
    Halfling in the Playground

[Dragon Therapy - Lucy]

"To stop hiding from your problems, to start," Sophie says gently. "We'll keep working and see if we can find a solution to your problems. But it has to start by facing them. You've made the first step by coming here."
    [Dragon Therapy - Lucy]

There's a faint sniff from Lucy. "Everything was fine u-u-until Riverside happened. Was never a problem before. A-and neither was us wanting to, uh, wanting to go off and do our own things before Sylvess met Spako." She sighs and fidgets awkwardly. "Not- not that I blame him. No, I-I'm happy for him! Very happy. He- he deserved to meet someone nice. It's just hard to accept how much the changes affect all of us."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meltdowner View Post
    [Daycare]

"N-No, I'm using it r-right now." Asher replies, smiling, as he continues to colour in his mother's hair. "I'll g-give you later!"
    [Daycare]

"But I need it now." Annie says, uncompromising. She then reaches over to try to take the crayon.

28. - Top - End - #718

[Outside the Infirmary]
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post
    "I am a Propagator!" Mintaka says cheerfully. "I go around to dead, dying, or damaged worlds and introduce new life on microscopic and macroscopic scales in order to make them habitable for a wide range of life. Everything from Carbon-Based to Silicon to Ferrous. My ship has all sorts of samples and I'm certain a few of the aquatic species would thrive wonderfully in the pond here without upsetting the balance." She reasons.
    Anchor's face lights up in excitement.
    "Um, I mean, the Nexus is already pretty alive. Especially here at GLoG. Not even really damaged or anything."
    Well, some places are actually, themselves, alive. But that's beside the point, right?
    And anything Mintaka wants to add to the pond is automatically extra-suspect.
    "We'd love to share samples, though. And I bet the island could do with some new plants."

[Lab]
    Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    "Yes," she says. "I, uh, I already have the samples here." But she's not carrying anything...? And no large enough pockets on her clothes to safely carry dangerous samples. Not on her skirt, not her shirt, and not on her glove that for some reason she only wears on her right hand/arm.

Holly starts to explain. "The pure sample is too dangerous to analyze at the moment, but luckily I had accidentally got some on my hand when I first discovered it, and infected flesh is slightly safer to analyze." It actually wasn't lucky.

She heads towards the back hall. "May I...?"
    "Of course."
    The doctor heads down the hall towards a room of diagnostic machinery.
    Better show Holly how to use it, especially if one of her hands is wounded.
    "You just turn these on, and put the material here - I mean, you're not planning to freeze your whole hand, are you?"
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2019-09-09 at 11:51 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Spoiler
    Show

Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

[Dragon Therapy - Lucy]

"Change is difficult to adapt to." Sophie's voice remains reassuring. "We have an idea of how things are or how they want to be, and when something comes along and questions it, we become uncomfortable or scared. There's nothing wrong with that. You couldn't expect Sylvess to stay single forever and now that he's found someone, you need to adapt. I'd like all of you to think and talk about it before our next meeting."

30. - Top - End - #720

[Lab]

Holly, of course, laughs. "I'm sure she'll have a very funny look on her face if I go back with my hand in a jar." 'Hello, I heard you wanted a hand'.

"No." Serious time. "I was just planning on getting a few skin and blood samples from each hand and only using those." Why does she need samples from her uninfected hand? "The samples from my left hand are to be a control, because I'm only half-human." As you can tell from her ears, the other half is probably elf. Because only elves have pointy ears.

She pays attention to how it gets used.
    Holly suddenly has a scalpel in her left hand that wasn't...anywhere before now. "I brought a scalpel," she claims, "but I forgot to bring syringes or things like that." Syringes are also harder to make on the spot. "Do you have any I could use, for the blood samples? While I cut out the flesh samples."

Holly is not against cutting a piece of skin out of her hands. Of course, she'll start with the left hand before taking off the right hand's glove, because she doesn't want to transfer the mutagen anywhere.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.