New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: GLoG 92: Generosity, Love, Opportunity, Growth

[Entrance]

Chaos frowns. "I was in a bad place then. I wasn't considering adopting him. It was more like...abduction." While Chaos isn't lying about not considering adopting Ryan when he first met the little guy, and he suspects that the person who gave him Ryan did get him through abduction, Chaos doesn't believe any time he's researched has been a bad time, so that may give Sophie even more of a tip-off that something is wrong. Chaos shakes his head, and says, "Either way, I believe I'm ready. I'm a natural with children." He says that last part smugly, as if he didn't almost put Ryan in a dungeon.
    Last edited by CosmicHobbit; 2019-04-09 at 06:57 PM.
    After 2 years of silence, I reappear!

Place your bets now, how long until I disappear again

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

[Entrance]

Sophie's warning bells are indeed ringing a bit louder now.

"I don't believe anyone is ready for parenting before they become a parent," she says. "It's something we need to pick up as we go. I know I will if my wife and I have kids. But... what do you mean by 'abduction'?"

She seems to go from talking about parenting to asking him about abduction without skipping a beat. Like seguing from talking about work to talking about the weather. This might draw Chaos into a false sense of security if he's not wary.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[Entrance]

Chaos sighs. "I used to be a villain. I sacrificed all else in favor of my research, including morality. However, this little guy, as well as some others, made me realize there was more to life than science. I don't particularly like to talk about that time, you can see why." The only thing in those 4 sentences which Chaos believes is vaguely true is that he sacrifices all else in favor of science, which he doesn't see as bad.

Chaos better have a way to get out of there quickly, or else the warning bells might end up turning into action.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Campgrounds]

"Yeah! He's a friendly bear like Pookie. But he's bigger and walks on four legs, so I guess it's a different kinda bear." His tail flicks. "Did he sleep in the winter? My dad says that's what bears do."
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Campgrounds

"What'd he do if he didn't sleep in the winter, Tuskfang? Stay awake all day for three months?" Or more, or less, depending on whereabouts on the globe you stand. Cheasadh, incidentally, hasn't heard of bears hibernating, and it's not something she has to worry about with Pookie, first because he's too young and secondly because he's a tame pokemon which doesn't need to sleep for so long.
    [Campgrounds]

Asher shakes his head side to side in response. "H-He's still a baby!" The bear cub sits on his rump and makes bear noises at the pokemon, offering a ride to the smaller ursine creature.

"B-Brinika, c-can you tell stories?"
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

[Entrance]

"Hm, yes, I can see why." Sophie hums quietly under her breath. "If it makes you feel any better, you might have fooled someone else."

[Campgrounds]

Tuskfang scratches his nose in deep thought.

"Nooo. Dad said that bears go to sleep when winter comes and they don't wake up before spring! They sleep for all that time. But Pookie doesn't do that. He plays with us in the snow."

Brinika, meanwhile, blinks when Asher asks his question.

"Uhh, I guess. I've told some stories to Tuskfang when he was little. And my other baby cousins."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Entrance

Chaos stiffens up. He's silent for a moment, before saying, in a quiet, slightly strained voice, "W-what?" Ryan, oblivious to what's going on around him, has begun to squirm. Chaos, however, doesn't react.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

[Entrance]

Sophie smiles. It seems like a genuine smile, but there's a subtle undertone of threat to it. Not a physical threat... just the expression of someone who sees right through you and knows exactly how you'll react.

"Your story has enough truth to it to be believable, but you've overstepped. People who lie often volunteer too much. The part about your being ready for raising a child and natural with them was a bit of a giveaway."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[Entrance]

Chaos shakes his head, then sighs. "Alright, you got me. What do you want to know?" Chaos sets Ryan down, letting him explore nearby. Chaos makes sure to keep an eye on him, as he knows well by know that Ryan is mischievous.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

[Entrance]

"Let's start with telling me how you really got Ryan," Sophie says in a conversational tone of voice, looking down at the baby. He seems like a normal enough child...

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

Campgrounds

"But that means they don't get Thanksmas presents. That's sad." Since they sleep through Santa's visit! Where's the fun in that?

"I know stories." Cheasadh interjects, though it would take her player a while to actually come up with something. And it might make Asher cry; she hopes not, though.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Entrance

Chaos says, "When I was doing research, I had someone bring me creatures so that I could extract their DNA painlessly. They gave me Ryan." This is true, though Chaos conveniently doesn't mention the place he got Ryan or that the research he was doing was just that day.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Halfling in the Playground

[Dragon Therapy]

A fair point, one that causes Sylvie to pause for just a moment as she considers Sophie's words. "Weeeell, uh, there's a couple of things there. I-I mean, Lucy sort of came about because that was the form I was comfortable talking to people in, and, uh, that's...that's the thing. She's good at talking to people. I'm not."

Sylvie rubs her neck and sighs, "And too much time as this kobold could cause another personality to develop. I- we went to the spooktober festival and I dressed up as a big scary evil dragon thing, and I felt myself starting to get carried away. Again."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

[Entrance]

"And what does 'painless' extraction of DNA mean in this context?" Sophie says, folding her arms across her chest. Her poker face seems to be very difficult to pierce, so if Chaos wants to find out how well he's doing he needs to say on his toes.

[Dragon Therapy]

"But if Lucy is one of your personalities, wouldn't that mean some part of you is good at talking to people?" Sophie asks. "You just compartmentalize it into Lucy. What does she look like, actually?" She makes a note. "And if staying in kobold shape might cause another personality to develop, we need to be careful."

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[Entrance]

"Exactly what it says. It uses a small-range ray to extract living creatures DNA, and it does so painlessly. Yes, it tickles, but it doesn't hurt." Chaos is telling nothing but the truth here, and Sophie may be able to notice from his facial expressions how proud something like that makes him feel.

Ryan is crawling around, investigating the grass, bushes, everything. He isn't too far away though, and Chaos is still looking out for him.

15. - Top - End - #255

[Dragon Therapy]

"Oh, no, not really. Well- well, uh, not exaaactly. It's-" Sylvie frowns and pauses. She's never been the best at explaining this. "It's- it's all acting, right? Y-you take on a disguise, you pretend to be someone else, you act like you think they would act. So, um, I'm reeeally not good at talking to people. But I can pretend to be someone who is!"

She's not good at it, she just pretends to be good at it. Makes sense, right? Just don't pretend too much or too hard, or fiction becomes reality. Sort of. In her head anyway.

"A-and Lucy is a tall slim lady. She likes wearing exotic dresses and keeps her hair short. She's, uh, she's veeery outgoing and great at talking to people."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

[Entrance]

"And what did you do with the creatures afterwards?" Sophie asks, also observing the child. "I imagine you didn't expect to receive a child."

[Dragon Therapy]

"I think I see," Sophie says. "You didn't feel comfortable talking to people and interacting with them as yourself, so you created... other selves to do it. This way, you insulate yourself from consequences of dealing with people. Whatever happens, it doesn't happen to you. And you can withdraw back to your normal self when you need it. Or you could, before the Riverside incident."
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-04-13 at 06:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Campgrounds]

Tuskfang scratches his nose in deep thought.

"Nooo. Dad said that bears go to sleep when winter comes and they don't wake up before spring! They sleep for all that time. But Pookie doesn't do that. He plays with us in the snow."

Brinika, meanwhile, blinks when Asher asks his question.

"Uhh, I guess. I've told some stories to Tuskfang when he was little. And my other baby cousins."
    Campgrounds

"But that means they don't get Thanksmas presents. That's sad." Since they sleep through Santa's visit! Where's the fun in that?

"I know stories." Cheasadh interjects, though it would take her player a while to actually come up with something. And it might make Asher cry; she hopes not, though.
    [Campgrounds]

"T-That's a-dult bears, Tuskfang! T-The babies don't hi-hiber-sleep, and t-the mothers only sleep a b-bit! S-So they can care for the b-babies!" Asher tells Tuskfang, and Scout nods in response. The bear's trying to hug Pookie.

Brinika looks unsure, unlike Cheasadh. However, Asher's a bit wary, but he decides to give her the benefit of the doubt. "OK, C-Chea, t-tell us a story!"
    Love is the message.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Spoiler: Woods Spoils
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Memory Woods]

Most beloved.

Most cared for.

Loved, at all.

What strange concepts. But the Prof thinks of the nearest thing he has to someone he cares about right now. One might, perhaps, expect it to be Edict. But the shade is safe, secure, and not a concern of the Prof's any time soon. He doesn't care, not at the moment. No, the nearest he has right now is Magtok. So that's who he thinks of. And that's where the pain goes, presumably.

Did he just make Needs cause harm to Magtok? Maybe? That might be amusing.

The Prof watches Magtok's vision with interest, though out of context it has little significance to him. It's nice to see Feia rattled by something for once though. It's nice to see things not going according to plan for her. It means it can be done.

Did the vision just speak to them?

Curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Memory Woods

Spoiler
    Show

A Magtok that exists solely as a sort of thoughtform, a mental avatar of the cyborg, winces and mutters something to The Cloak about being spotted. That's about all he has time for, before fading away once more. Not even that jolt of agony is enough to keep him from fading back into The Cloak's spell-induced unconsciousness.

"Psychotropics & Extranatural Metabolisms," Needs recalls, considering whether or not to embark on a secondary quest to locate a copy of the tome. Also, yes, the cyborg's brother can see into Magtok's dreams; that shouldn't really be a big surprise to anyone present.

"Time is short. We have been seen." Potentially a much greater issue than whatever's in that book. Doesn't really matter if there's anything worth reading in it if Feia comes charging after us and sets the world aflame while we're busy consulting a library catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Memory Woods]

"I only hope the knowledge gained was worth the price paid." The Affy-puppet-cyborg mutters irritably. Both the price in pain, and the price of being found out.

Being found out is of particular concern if it means Feia is aware the Prof is catching a ride inside Magtok's mind. That's not something she's meant to know. "Well, if your business is concluded, perhaps we should be on our way, hmm?"

[Memory Woods]

Delilah looks a bit out of sorts where she is, looking an awful lot like someone who just took a very abrupt blow to the head, somewhat dazed and pained.
    It takes her a little bit to gather herself enough to participate in the conversation again, picking herself back up.
    That necklace is tucked away in a hurry.

"Don't...don't worry about that right, oof, now."
    She is somewhat short of breath and this fact seems to be annoying her enough to compose faster.
    "Something about...a broken envelope of the Outside. Feia wasn't paying attention to us. Important thing is that Libitina is alive, or was, and that the dragon witch isn't currently making moves on either her or here.
    We also have landmarks now, to potentially navigate by later."

Insofar as landmarks can be determined in a world of whirling sand and spires. Maybe she's referring to the warped area and everything's relation to that.
    One way or another, she finds this a much more practical line of thought than any nonsense about sprawling color abstractions.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[Entrance]

Chaos shrugs. "I usually either sold them if they weren't too dangerous or useful to my research. If they were useful I kept them and used them, and if they were dangerous I'd dispose of them humanely. However, Ryan was an sapient infant, so none of those worked out. He grew on me while I researched him, so I kept him." Once again, this is all true, but Chaos doesn't mention that Ryan was given to him that day.

"Of course I didn't expect to be given him! I expected to inspect Ryan, maybe extract a bit of DNA, but not to be expected to keep him! What I expected were stuff like cockroaches, and feathers, and bones! Never should have trusted..." This is all true, though Sophie will most likely notice Chaos cut himself off before he said what or who he never should have trusted.

Ryan is now fascinated by a beetle crawling past him on the ground.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

[Entrance]

"Clearly you shouldn't have," Sophie agrees readily. "So why did you?" She then asks immediately, trying to keep Chaos on the back foot.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[Entrance]

Chaos sighs and shakes his head. "I had made a deal with them we both benefited from. I got to continue research, they got knowledge of what came of my experiments." Once more, Chaos tells the truth in a way that doesn't reveal any more details than are needed.

Chaos goes over to Ryan and squats down, pulling something out of his pocket. He gives him a little cube with different colored buttons on it, and Ryan presses one, making a small moo meow sound out from the cube. Ryan giggles, and Chaos stands back up. "Now, can I take Ryan back to the...was it the Apple cabin that visitors stayed at?" Chaos doesn't seem anxious, but rather slightly annoyed.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

[Entrance]

Sophie peers at Chaos curiously.

"You've answered my questions honestly enough. And this is a place of redemption and growth. And children. You're free to go to Apple cabin... but first I'd like you to promise me not to harm anyone here. This will be a magically binding oath. I'll check back to see how you and Ryan are doing later."

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[Entrance]

Chaos mulls it over for a moment, then nods. "Alright. I promise not to harm anyone at GLoG. In fact, as a show of good will, I will also promise not to harm anyone who is part of GLoG, regardless of where they are." Chaos waits a moment, then says, "I'm not great with magic, does anything else need to happen?"

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

[Campgrounds]

"I have a story about how goblins got their teeth!" Brinika says, grinning widely to display hers. "Maybe I can tell it and then Cheasadh can say hers."

[Entrance]

Sophie nods and raises her hand. Chaos' words suddenly appear in the air, written in a series of golden runes that swirl around her hand, as Sophie herself is briefly surrounded by warm, likewise golden light that forms into yet more runes, which repeat Chaos's words.

"I have heard your promise and I sanctify it in the eyes of Heaven. You can go now. I'll be keeping an eye on you and Ryan."
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-04-16 at 07:13 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265

[Dragon Therapy]

"Insulate myself? I guess that makes sense. It's easier to mislead someone if I don't see it as being me, a-and it's easier to not worry about being a dragon talking to a giant if it's not me doing the talking. I think." Too much thinking might have got Sylvie's wires crossed a little here. But she's trying to stick with it!

Figuring out why you've got other people in your head was never going to be easy though.

"But it, um, that doesn't sound completely right? I dunno if there's reeeeally a reason to why it happens? I just get so carried away in the act sometimes that it stops being an act and starts being someone else."

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

Campgrounds

"That works for me, Brinika." Cheasadh smiles and nods.

Pookie backs away from Scout, a little scared of the larger bear. He'll offer the young bear his pot of honey, in hope that stops Scout from wanting to hug him.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

[Entrance]

Chaos watches with his mouth open, and when it's done Chaos closes his mouth and nods. "Alright, I'll, uh, be taking Ryan there then." He scoops up Ryan, but Ryan doesn't put up a fuss, instead playing with the cube some more. Then, he walks off to the Apple cabin.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Bob View Post
    [Memory Woods]

Delilah looks a bit out of sorts where she is, looking an awful lot like someone who just took a very abrupt blow to the head, somewhat dazed and pained.
    It takes her a little bit to gather herself enough to participate in the conversation again, picking herself back up.
    That necklace is tucked away in a hurry.

"Don't...don't worry about that right, oof, now."
    She is somewhat short of breath and this fact seems to be annoying her enough to compose faster.
    "Something about...a broken envelope of the Outside. Feia wasn't paying attention to us. Important thing is that Libitina is alive, or was, and that the dragon witch isn't currently making moves on either her or here.
    We also have landmarks now, to potentially navigate by later."

Insofar as landmarks can be determined in a world of whirling sand and spires. Maybe she's referring to the warped area and everything's relation to that.
    One way or another, she finds this a much more practical line of thought than any nonsense about sprawling color abstractions.
    "The book, then?" Needs asks, trying to keep his contributions to this conversation to a minimum. He's already struggling to parse everything Delilah just said. The pills aren't in effect right now, there's nothing stabilizing him, keeping him glued to this plane of existence. He's drifting closer to his wildly incoherent old self again, which is nothing but inconvenience right now.

"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings." See? There it is now. He was probably trying to say something much simpler, something about how they'll take down Feia no matter how crazy she looks or how much mass she has. Instead we get a Tolkein quote, because Needs Food Badly is suddenly too busy waving a paintbrush over the air, making minute revisions to the twenty-eighth of September, the day Ambriel and Ithuriel found each other. Nothing either of them would take notice of, nothing game-changing, certainly, but even the most insignificant modifications to what was, is, and will be are hardly ever without consequence.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

[Dragon Therapy]

"It is just a hypothesis," Sophie admits. "I'm trying to draw up a plan of action for our next therapy sessions." She pauses to think. "I think I'm going to have to hear more about your other personalities and how they came to be, so I can see if a pattern emerges."

30. - Top - End - #270
    Pixie in the Playground

[QUOTE=Morty;23850349][Campgrounds]

"I have a story about how goblins got their teeth!" Brinika says, grinning widely to display hers. "Maybe I can tell it and then Cheasadh can say hers."/QUOTE]

Campgrounds

"That works for me, Brinika." Cheasadh smiles and nods.

Pookie backs away from Scout, a little scared of the larger bear. He'll offer the young bear his pot of honey, in hope that stops Scout from wanting to hug him.
    [Campgrounds]

Brinika gets to tell a story first! That makes Asher happier, and he bounces on his seat, eager to learn the story of how goblins got their teeth "O-kay!"

Scout accepts the honey and has some by dipping his paw in it and licking it off, but it doesn't deter him. Instead, he makes friendly bear noises at the Pokemon, trying to seem friendly and harmless. That, and a little sniff here and there of Pookie's form.
    Love is the message.