New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Best Battle Master maneuvers for ranged character at higher levels (11 to 20)

My character at lvl 11 will be a Lightfoot Halfling slinger revised Ranger 5 (Gloomstalker), Rogue 3 (Thief), Fighter 3 (Battle Master) and I have to pick 3 maneuvers. The party consists of more than 50% ranged characters.

-Precision Attack: definately getting this one (having Sharpshooter)

-Menacing Attack / Goading Attack: I definately want one of these. Manacing Attack seems great (and overall the strongest of the two) but I guess at high levels many foes will be immune to being frightened, also as a rogue I will some times be out of sight when I end my turn which also speaks against Menacing. Which will be better? And is it stupid to pick of both just so I can chose between them depending on the situation? (I have a hard time finding a great 3rd choise)

-Disarming Attack: I dont think this will be that good as I dont think our frontliner(s) will be picking up whatever the enemy drops.

-Maneuvering Attack: Good be decent? Get one of the other ranged party members out of melee before its their turn seems like a good use. Can also reposition a frontliner.

-Riposte: I could draw a rapier when I end my turn in a place where I might get attacked in melee before my next turn but having only few sneak attack dice it seems more like a gimmick than a strong option.

-Trip Attack: I really like this one but as more than half our party are ranged it doesnt seem that great. Its usefulness would be even more dependent on initiative order than it already is.

All the other maneuvers are either for melee attacks or doesnt seem good to me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Best Battle Master maneuvers for ranged character at higher levels (11 to 20)

For ranged character I like Trip Attack, Disarming Attack, and Goading Attack. All 3 are extremely helpful to your melee buddies. Menacing Attack is nearly the same as Goading except there is too many enemies immune to fear while Goading doesn't have that stipulation.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Best Battle Master maneuvers for ranged character at higher levels (11 to 20)

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    For ranged character I like Trip Attack, Disarming Attack, and Goading Attack. All 3 are extremely helpful to your melee buddies. Menacing Attack is nearly the same as Goading except there is too many enemies immune to fear while Goading doesn't have that stipulation.
    Also it’s fun to trip flying creatures.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If you have a Rogue in the party, always take Commander's Strike.

Goading attack is amazing when you can attack a melee creature from outside its movement range, or even when they would be forced to eat an AoO to get to you.

Don't underestimate Pushing Attack, in the right circumstance 15ft of push can make a massive difference.

Maneuvering Attack is a great way to get a squishy caster out of a tough situation. You can also use this to get your melee members into range faster.
    Reality is relative, and there is an exception to every rule.