New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Quiddity

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Quiddity

I was curious about what different theories people have for how quiddity will play a role in the story going forward. I've seen multiple discussions of whether Banjo has a quiddity and so forth, but since there's so many possibilities there must be all sorts of different ideas and theories beyond Banjo. One theory I was considering was that green quiddity could be extracted from material retrieved from the snarl world, maybe leading to the five known colors coming together in some way. What wild color related speculation have you got?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Quiddity

don't think the specifics of the colours have any importance, just how many of them there are.

i could see Green coming back somehow, four colours would be able to make a prison of equal strength to the snarl, but five would make one stronger then the snarl itself.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

Clearly Redcloak will refuse to be convinced to abandon the plan, and thus it will be up to Belkar to ascend to godhood as the second purple god or the first of the reborn green quiddity to bring the number up to the needed 4.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Clearly Redcloak will refuse to be convinced to abandon the plan, and thus it will be up to Belkar to ascend to godhood as the second purple god or the first of the reborn green quiddity to bring the number up to the needed 4.
    Still better then a Banjo theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    New suggestion: the MitD is an Italian Protean. Mamma mia!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Eyyy, I'm-a shiftin' da shapes and-a helping my amico Signore Stiffliano escape! Easyducio! Bada bing!

5. - Top - End - #5

WolfInSheepsClothing

Clearly Banjo will replace Redcloak as high priest, forming a purple-green god loop.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Three pantheons decide to mate to establish new quiddities.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

WolfInSheepsClothing

Presumably that would make a brown pantheon. Much less cool than the other colors.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Presumably that would make a brown pantheon. Much less cool than the other colors.
    Egyptian Pantheooooooon!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #9

Flumph

The star metal asteroid that they retrieved to fix Roy's sword was a remnant of the first universe that had four quiddities. It glows green because of that, although a somewhat different green than that of the Eastern Pantheon, because it's combined with the other quiddities.

So while most three-quiddity weapons are useless against the Snarl, Roy will be able to chop it up.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

10. - Top - End - #10

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think that’s a cool theory. Are stars not part of the material plane in d&d or something I’m not super up on the cosmology.

11. - Top - End - #11

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    I think that’s a cool theory. Are stars not part of the material plane in d&d or something I’m not super up on the cosmology.
    It's called starmetal, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was formerly part of a star. A shooting star, but not a real star.

Here's more on my theory: the first universe was four quiddity and it was destroyed by the Snarl. But the Snarl didn't bother to destroy every bit of it, some rocks and whatnot remained. When the gods went to make World 2.0, they found that their three quiddites couldn't destroy these 4Q rocks, so as to incorporate their threads into the next world. In all subsequent remakes, this wasn't a problem, so there's no three-quiddity meteorites, just four-quiddity ones.

You might think that after billions of worlds, all the meteorites would have fallen to earth at some point. Perhaps they have, but they're still four-quiddity things that the gods can't reuse. So in the next remake, the gods toss them away and eventually they come back as a shooting star. This is true even if the starmetal gets incorporated into a weapon or something. The gods will reuse the non-4Q part of the object and throw the rest away. It will no longer be in the shape of whatever object at that point, just a lump of 4Q stuff.
    Last edited by dtilque; 2019-01-30 at 07:29 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

WolfInSheepsClothing

That’s neat, I like the idea that there are bits of green string still floating around that the gods can’t use.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    So while most three-quiddity weapons are useless against the Snarl, Roy will be able to chop it up.
    Well, more like "give it a pinprick" instead of "mildly annoy".

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Well, more like "give it a pinprick" instead of "mildly annoy".
    Probably more like "mildly annoy" instead of "fail to notice."

The theory itself falls a bit flat too. If three quiddity mortals using three quiddity tools can manipulate a four quiddity asteroid that much, then why would the gods just toss them aside instead of collecting all the four quiddity chunks and constructing a giant god sword out of them?
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2019-01-30 at 12:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Probably more like "mildly annoy" instead of "fail to notice."
    I don't think you can assume this. Roy's sword is some kind of undead bane, but it could also be a Snarl bane. Or perhaps they'll find that the Snarl is tired of life and wants to end it all. But it can't because there are no four-quiddity weapons around that can harm it. Roy would basically be giving it a coup de grace.

The theory itself falls a bit flat too. If three quiddity mortals using three quiddity tools can manipulate a four quiddity asteroid that much, then why would the gods just toss them aside instead of collecting all the four quiddity chunks and constructing a giant god sword out of them?
    Because they'd still have to get close to the Snarl to hack at it. Too dangerous for the gods, who are more vulnerable to the Snarl than mortals.

16. - Top - End - #16

Lizardfolk

I used to think part of the first world might resurface (MitD was a lost Green God, Roy's sword was reclaimed first-world metal, rhe Snarl wasn't really the destructive force its made out to be, etc), but that was before we found out billions of worlds were between the first and current iterations. Surviving one destruction is plausible, but surviving that many undetected would raise questions.
    I can't remember if D&D has any rules on what space is (I know there's Spelljammer which is space-ships, and the Alienist class which is 'grow tentacles and gibber to yourself for long enough and you get abducted as a capstone ability!'). If space is part of the Material Plane, then starmetal is also something the gods put in (maybe Vafthrudnir really likes Green Star Adepts?), so is three colour combos. If space is the emptiness left after the Snarl undoes creation, its possible some rocks might slip through the Gods net (but a four-colour rock would be the oldest and rarest physical object in the multiverse) when they remake the Plane.
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2019-01-30 at 08:35 PM.