New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Give your characters overpowered ability.

After watching That Time I Was Reincarnated as a Slime there has been idea echoing in my head. Other op adventures.

For ones not familiar with the show main character is a slime able to devoer about anything and optain it's abilities. You maybe able to see how this can form positive feedback loop.

Whole world function on some what game logic where people and monsters can have abilities similar to class feathers in d&d, pathfinder and probly every other TTRPG.

Now question what other abilities you can think of?

Here few ideas I had:

Research: similar to predator but new abilities are produced with time reducing risks involved with gathering new abilities and surten op abilities are able to be obtained with having to battle somebody with them.

Summon Hive Mind: ability to create new 'characters' that have this ability and are in hive mind with you. Every new character summons more, so that's accelerated grouth already, then when ability manipulation abilities are unlocked, shunanigas are absolutely insane.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Give your characters overpowered ability.

Administrator rights with access to the console and /help.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Administrator rights with access to the console and /help.
    Oh, sure, just start out being Vivec. What are the rest of us supposed to do now?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Oh, sure, just start out being Vivec. What are the rest of us supposed to do now?
    While I'm not sure who Vivec is (a quick google search says a character from The Elder Scrolls), the thread title does say 'Overpowered', so what better than the most overpowered thing as the first reply?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

While I'm not sure who Vivec is (a quick google search says a character from The Elder Scrolls), the thread title does say 'Overpowered', so what better than the most overpowered thing as the first reply?
    It would have been useful to understand this console and not die while you try to figure out. There is also 0 fun factor in this.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    There is also 0 fun factor in this.
    Depends on how much effort you want to put into your power fantasy.

'Give_[Player_ID]_[Item_ID]' or 'Kill_[Entity_ID]' should be sufficient for most fantasies without getting into more complicated things, which is what the /help is for.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

There is a story in that somewhere. Maybe the console commands are a bit hard to learn, and the protagonist ends up making a mistake which crashes the reality.

Then he tries to find a suitable place to ask for help, but the higher powers chastise him for not using the correct para-forum.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Action Surge for spell casters.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ability to create weaknesses on people and objects. Like big glowy weak spots to attack for massive damage, allergies, etc.

The weaknesses are retroactive so it appears that he is just really lucky at guessing to observers, like hitting a dragon with a baseball and it has a terrible pork allergy. Other people think he has luck magic to have been carrying the baseball, but actually he had a baseball so he made the dragon weak to pork.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

10. - Top - End - #10

Vivec is a character in the elder scrolls. He was court poet and one of the three advisors to the dark elven King (well, more or less king, but close enough) when they were fighting the dwarves, who were using the heard of a dead god in an experiment in creating an artificial divinity. He betrayed his king, killed him and took the divine power for himself, becoming a god.

Then, he wrote a series of obscure ingame texts of philosophy and theology about his own life. They are full of meta references about the Elder Scrolls and more than a few dirty sex jokes. He references two aspects of divine power. One is the heroic power that certain fated heroes of the ages have. They can apparently stop time in order to rest, consume potions and plan their strategy in battle (pause the game), revert time when they die to a previously prepared point (quicksave) and a lot of other overpowered stuff that makes it so that they can never actually fail at whatever task they set themselves. He identifies several such heroes through time, the protagonists of all previous games.

The other power Vivec identifies is one he himself has, the power of Chim. This power he got by realizing that all of reality was a story that was told by a godhead, and that he was only a character in it. This gave him the power to temporarily ascend to a higher plane of existence, where all of reality was described as words and numbers, where he could change the world at will, make himself immortal and by speaking certain commands, make himself immortal and untouchable. Vivec, as an ingame character, found out how to open the game console and the modding system, and activated god mode.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Determination/Save Points:
    Able to place save points at any location endlessly. When you die you always go back to the nearest save point. You cannot however return to specific points in time.

Stop Time
    you can stop time for everything except gasses and light.

Cosplay Magic:
    Gain the abilities of a character when you cosplay them. Have to make the cosplay yourself.

Control Written Word
    you can understand and control any and all words written upon a page, text, email or other surface in any language and can transform them however you want. unlimited range.

Control Verbal Communication
    you can understand and control all things verbally spoken, able to transform them into other sounds or words however you want.

Carbon Magic:
    can control and alter carbon in any form imaginable, including within living things.

Drain Competence Aura:
    you passively drain competence from everyone around you in a certain radius and gain their skills so that only you can truly succeed at them. can't be turned off.

The Death20:
    A special black D20. when rolled, a 2-20 kills your foe and you keep the Death20. On a 1 you die and the Death20 is given to your foe.

Power Shuffler:
    You can switch anyone's powers with anyone elses, except with your own. Unlimited range.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

The ability to vibrate molecules is pretty OP if you go really far with it. Makes you able to destroy stuff, burn stuff, cool stuff...
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post

Cosplay Magic:
    Gain the abilities of a character when you cosplay them. Have to make the cosplay yourself.
    Step 1: Find a character with fabrication powers (super sewing, item creation, shaping/remaking stuff, whatever). Make a costume for them.
    Step 2: Get whatever powers you feel like using the Step 1 powers to create all the other cosplay items.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Step 1: Find a character with fabrication powers (super sewing, item creation, shaping/remaking stuff, whatever). Make a costume for them.
    Step 2: Get whatever powers you feel like using the Step 1 powers to create all the other cosplay items.
    Step 3: Get to work on a cosplay a spider can wear before Athena gets jealous of your weaving powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Step 3: Get to work on a cosplay a spider can wear before Athena gets jealous of your weaving powers.
    Cossplay Athena and turn her into spider first.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I have some ideas for the next time I run.

One idea was to have one character be the child of a powerful shadow being (without really knowing, or fully placing the bits together). Other shadow beings will react to the character favorably, and with a touch of reverence.

The intent would be to build up the apparent goal of the adventure to save or defeat some big bad, but the real adventure threat would be from else ware.

"Oh I did not know that she was a friend of yours. Would you like her soul or shall I place it back into her body? . . . Back into the body it shall go. Please tell your father that I will be sure to bring those pickled things that he so enjoys to our next card game. My have you grown. Well I am off."

-----

Another idea is to have one of the characters be a god, on vacation. The god arranged to be born to a mortal, and to have its memories placed to the side so that the god can take some time off, relax, and see what it is like to be mortal for a lifetime. If the god were ever really in trouble, then guardian angels (or the like) would step in, and attempt to save the experiment.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-03-06 at 10:55 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Blue Magic. Basically, the ability to instantly learn any spell or ability you see used. Quick way to power yourself up in a hurry.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Get Pun-Pun ability. I win move.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Blue Magic. Basically, the ability to instantly learn any spell or ability you see used. Quick way to power yourself up in a hurry.
    Blue Magic does not generally work on a "You see it, you get it" basis.

You need to survive it being used ON YOU.

Blue Mages tend to die a lot.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Exemption from normal mechanics (e.g. dying, gravity, limits on magical spells) if I so choose, and ability to experience the world at minimum 1000 times faster than everyone else. Plus and intelligence bonus of +100.

—Caerulea
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

One a nWoD mage of mine had was cooperative casting. She could aid others casting ritual magic by adding her dots in gnosis and the arcana in question to their pool, instead of the normal teamwork rules, and was able to teach the talent. She ended up with a small cabal turning back time 13 days to try to avert something coming to reality that shouldn't have, which didn't work, and ended up taking everything she cared about and hiding on the Moon through an extinction event on Earth.
    LGBTA+itP

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    Whole world function on some what game logic where people and monsters can have abilities similar to class feathers in d&d, pathfinder and probly every other TTRPG.
    First, a pet peeve - it's not "probably every other TTRPG". Plenty don't have classes at all, and plenty aren't codified in that sort of structure at all.

Onto the main topic, the general theme seems to be that a character enters a setting from outside, able to see how that setting operates in ways much more clean and overt than is visible from everyone else, where the actual rules of that inner setting are comparable to representative simplification systems to the character from outside. Knowing stats and powers and whatnot definitely makes killing stuff more doable, but I'd point to a different metric entirely.

Relationship maps. They come up in a lot of games, mapping who knows who how, what people want from each other, etc. Critically, these sorts of maps are routinely full of secret connections. A character from outside who can directly see that whole map, including all the secret connections on it? They'd be able to throw around a great deal of clout if they're even slightly charismatic. Give them exceptional charisma on top of that ability, which is entirely in keeping with typical portrayals in the relevant media and that effect gets dramatically magnified.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Blue Magic does not generally work on a "You see it, you get it" basis.

You need to survive it being used ON YOU.

Blue Mages tend to die a lot.
    Thats why it would be overpowered.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #24

I always thought that OWD's Mark of Cain was ridiculously OP: Whatever you attempt on me is instead done to you seven times over.

Have fun stopping that guy from doing whatever he wants BEFORE factoring in his other OP vampire powers

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    I always thought that OWD's Mark of Cain was ridiculously OP: Whatever you attempt on me is instead done to you seven times over.

Have fun stopping that guy from doing whatever he wants BEFORE factoring in his other OP vampire powers
    Obviously, the key is giving Kain all your money, repeatedly.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post

OWD Mark of Cain? What is that?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Syrakiin View Post
    OWD Mark of Cain? What is that?
    Old World Of Darkness, Cain from the Bible (Cain and Abel) is the first vampire in that setup, and they took the biblical curse literally as an ability of his.
    LGBTA+itP

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Step 1: Other-Mother from Coraline
    Step 2: ...
    Step 3: Profit
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    English: so broken, you technically cannot use it wrong.
    Grey Wolf

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Just cosplay as Athena to bypass the process.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Just cosplay as Athena to bypass the process.
    At that point I don't think it's cosplay, so much as identity theft.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals