New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Sorcerer help!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

confused Sorcerer help!

Alright so, I'm playing a Tiefling Wild Mage Sorcerer. Like most people my first dnd character was an elf bard, and well- I haven't been playing dnd long (that campaign was in 2018 and was in 3.5e) now I'm with a different group and in 5e, so I'm.. lost.

We are all starting at level 3, so i have 4 known spells, 4 first level spell slots and 2 second level spell slots. I'm lost on known spells, I understand it's what spells my character knows, however.. I can't quite figure it out. How many 1st level spells do I get to know, how many 2nd level ones? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question which I'm sure it is, but the group i'm playing with are all fairly knew to D&D so I'd really appreciate the help!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Sorcerer help!

At levels 1 and 2, you can ONLY learn 1st level spells.

Then, at level 3, you can learn 1st or 2nd level spells. (I'd heartily recommend a 2nd level spell-they're better!)

So, you can have 3 1st level spells known and 1 2nd level.

That help?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Short answer: Up to 2 of your 4 known spells can be 2nd level.

Slightly longer answer: You have to follow rules as if you made the character as a level 1 and leveled up to 3rd. You start with 2 known spells (Cantrips are in a separate category and not considered.)

You gain another known spell at 2nd which also has to be a 1st level spell ( because that's the only spell level you can cast when you are level 2.)

You gain another known spell at level 3. Those may be a 2nd level spell since you can now cast those but you could choose another 1st level spell (not recommended.) At this time you can also replace a known level 1 spell with a level 2 Spell if you like.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

The simplest way to do it right is to build your character at level 1 and apply levl-ups.

At 1st level you know 4 cantrips and 2 lvl1 spells.
    levling up to second level you learn an other level 1 spell and can swap one of your spell for an other one so you know 3 lvl1 spells
    Reaching third level you learn a 4th spell (that can be either a 1st or 2nd level spell) and can replace one of your spell known by another spell of either first or 2nd level.

Long story short : at level 3 you know 4 spells, 2 of them must be level 1 and the other 2 can be either 1st or 2nd level spells

As for casting : you can cast 6 spells a day, 4 of them can only be level 1 spells, and 2 of them can either be 2nd levl spells or 1st level spells cast as second level (this may or may not let you do extra damage, chose aditional target or have additional effects, depending on the spell)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

4 1st-level spells

or

3 1st-level spells and 1 2nd-level spell

or

2 1st-level spells and 2 2nd-level spells

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Thank you everyone for the help! I really appreciate it, just needed it to be explained to me a bit better than in the books and such I think haha

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Each time you get a new known spell, you can pick any spell in the sorcerer list that you have a spell slot of the appropriate level. Which mean at level 3 since you have level 1 and 2 spell slots, you can choose any level 1 or 2 spells. When you get to level 5 then you can pick a level 3 spell. On top of that each time you level you can replace one of your know spell.

So
    • At level 1 you get 2 spell known of level 1.
    • At level 2 you get another level 1 known spell. AND you can replace a level 1 spell by another level 1 spell.
    • At level 3 you get a new spell of level 1 or 2, AND you can replace a level 1 spell by a level 1 or 2 if needed.

Sorcerer can get limited as you get higher level because of the few known spells you have, which is why it's good to plan your choice in advance. Try to pick spell with multiple use, a balance of offensive and defensive spells.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AttitudeCity View Post
    Like most people my first dnd character was an elf bard
    Really? Is this a universal fact? I know zero people who have ever played an elf bard. What a curious thing to say.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

The Fullmetal Mod: Thread necromancy is a forbidden art.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I vote we purge flat_footed.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    flat_footed

Extended Signature