New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Apocalypse Stone clerics losing powers

Do any of you have the Apocalypse Stone adventure? If so, would you be willing to quote me the section where it describes how clerics and similar characters are affected by the events happening in it? I'm putting a similar mechanic into a homebrewed setting (for much less dire reasons) and I don't want to buy a book for a campaign I have no intention of running just to read what from what I can gather is only a small part of the text.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Apocalypse Stone clerics losing powers

sure (gods & planes are becoming cut off/more distant over time, causing for clerics:)

"For each time unit that passes, a cleric loses a level’s worth of spellcasting ability. For example, after two time units have elapsed, a 15th-level cleric would cast spells as one of 13th level. The character’s actual level does not change, only the spells to which he or she has access. Hit points, THACO, and other class benefits are unaffected. However, once all spellcasting ability is gone, the cleric begins to lose granted abilities (such as turning undead) at the same rate, in a particular order or randomly, according to your taste.

Paladins have similar problems, since their special powers are also granted by the gods. They lose spellcasting abilities and then class benefits
    (such as the laying on of hands) exactly as clerics do."

also/note: "You should take care not to unduly penalize cleric PCs. They will lose many of their spells as the adventure continues, but the pace is up to you. This is expressed in ”time units,” left intentionally vague. The recommended value for a time unit is one week, but you can adjust this as best suits your campaign. See the ”Countdown to Armageddon” sidebar."