New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Get fit 2: Resolution 2K:19!

My daily goal is 3,800 calories but I have a lot of leeway in hitting that number. I rely to an extent on some pretty sugary/unhealthy stuff to manage 3,800, like brownies and cookies, which I can kind of get away with for the time being since I'm just trying to gain and don't have to worry about shooting up too much in weight. I try to keep my daily sugar intake under 100 grams and keep my daily protein intake around 190; other than that, I'm pretty lax about the specific foods that comprise my diet.

Once I stop focusing on gaining (I don't really have an end goal weight at this point) and start focusing on maintaining and keeping a clean diet it's going to take a lot of adjustment haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    My daily goal is 3,800 calories but I have a lot of leeway in hitting that number. I rely to an extent on some pretty sugary/unhealthy stuff to manage 3,800, like brownies and cookies, which I can kind of get away with for the time being since I'm just trying to gain and don't have to worry about shooting up too much in weight. I try to keep my daily sugar intake under 100 grams and keep my daily protein intake around 190; other than that, I'm pretty lax about the specific foods that comprise my diet.

Once I stop focusing on gaining (I don't really have an end goal weight at this point) and start focusing on maintaining and keeping a clean diet it's going to take a lot of adjustment haha.
    :/ I felt guilty about eating some figs today.

That is some crazy intake to get to 160, I was eating a similar amount when I was 360. One thing I know is anything liquid tends to be an easy way to stuff calories in, eggnog especially.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post

That is some crazy intake to get to 160, I was eating a similar amount when I was 360. One thing I know is anything liquid tends to be an easy way to stuff calories in, eggnog especially.
    Yeah. That's a crazy number to me also. I was doing that and hovering around 300 myself.
    We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life.....God sent us.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking from a not-trying-to-do-anything-special-dietwise perspective, you probably want to lean on fats for a lot of this? Dairy (ice cream/half-and-half/whole milk/real yoghurt [not the fake sugar non-fat stuff, it's got no flavor anyway) used for the liquid base and fruit for flavor/color/general nutrition smoothies can get you there surprisingly quickly, they'll pack a ton of calories into a much easier to consume format.. they'll also have a fair amount of sugar, but you can at least make it no added sugars.

5. - Top - End - #95

My metabolism is pretty ridiculous, but it seems to be chilling out. A year ago 3,800 was my maintenance intake and I needed 4,000 a day to gain... Those were not easy days.

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Speaking from a not-trying-to-do-anything-special-dietwise perspective, you probably want to lean on fats for a lot of this? Dairy (ice cream/half-and-half/whole milk/real yoghurt [not the fake sugar non-fat stuff, it's got no flavor anyway) used for the liquid base and fruit for flavor/color/general nutrition smoothies can get you there surprisingly quickly, they'll pack a ton of calories into a much easier to consume format.. they'll also have a fair amount of sugar, but you can at least make it no added sugars.
    Milk and dairy definitely help-- I generally drink three cups of milk a day, which aside from the sugar (even in whole milk that comes out to over 30 grams of sugar) is pretty handy for hitting 3,800. I used to make a shake using milk, peanut butter, banana, and protein powder-- 950 calories, about 75-80 grams of protein. Probably should get some more protein powder and do that again instead of resorting to brownies...
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

My metabolism is pretty ridiculous, but it seems to be chilling out. A year ago 3,800 was my maintenance intake and I needed 4,000 a day to gain... Those were not easy days.

Milk and dairy definitely help-- I generally drink three cups of milk a day, which aside from the sugar (even in whole milk that comes out to over 30 grams of sugar) is pretty handy for hitting 3,800. I used to make a shake using milk, peanut butter, banana, and protein powder-- 950 calories, about 75-80 grams of protein. Probably should get some more protein powder and do that again instead of resorting to brownies...
    The shake is probably healthier, but doesn't taste as good. It is kind of funny reading your weight gain struggles, I have been training myself to eat only clean foods whenever possible and losing weight because there aren't the extra calories I am used to from soda, pasta, etc. You are forcing yourself to eat like I did, just feels bizarre.

One thing I will say about the fat thing; eating a lot of fat is hard. I eat bacon or sausage every breakfast because the high fat content means I only have to eat a little to be full. Eating 2000 calories in carbs is easy, in fat it would feel like I am stuffed all day.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Thank you for posting a link to the darebee site in the resources at the start of the thread. I want to get stronger and better at martial arts this year, so I'm excited about some of the workouts they have. I've also been trying to go to Judo club at my school, but I've found that I often "freeze up" when trying to remember how to do the throws and fall practice because I can't remember how to do them and am afraid of doing them wrong. Has anyone else had this problem, and, if so, how did you overcome it?
    he/him or they/them pronouns, please

8. - Top - End - #98

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticalSquid View Post
    I've also been trying to go to Judo club at my school, but I've found that I often "freeze up" when trying to remember how to do the throws and fall practice because I can't remember how to do them and am afraid of doing them wrong. Has anyone else had this problem, and, if so, how did you overcome it?
    I've mostly done falls and rolls in a more gymnastic/parkour/free running sense than martial arts, but there should be some overlap with learning martial arts falls and throws.

Here's my way of learning and practicing them:
    1) Just go for a roll/fall (start with a small one).
    2a) If it went well, do it about 10 more times to work on building up muscle memory.
    2b) If it didn't go well, have one of the instructors/more experienced people walk you through it or correct any element of it that needs work and go to 1.
    3) Rest (think about form, practice the dance of the fall/landing/roll in your head).
    4) Go to 1.

There's a phrase I heard from a viola teacher a long time ago: Perfect practice produces perfect players.
    Basically, it boils down to go for it, but then step back and analyse what worked, what didn't and why, then fix everything that wasn't perfect and go again.

Lastly, have fun. It seems silly to say that as a learning technique, but you absorb info way faster when you're enjoying the learning process.

Good luck!
    Long-form Sig

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticalSquid View Post
    Thank you for posting a link to the darebee site in the resources at the start of the thread. I want to get stronger and better at martial arts this year, so I'm excited about some of the workouts they have. I've also been trying to go to Judo club at my school, but I've found that I often "freeze up" when trying to remember how to do the throws and fall practice because I can't remember how to do them and am afraid of doing them wrong. Has anyone else had this problem, and, if so, how did you overcome it?
    Break it down into steps for each throw. Here's a great youtube channel if you are having problems with a specific throw https://www.youtube.com/user/welcomematstevescott

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Avenger View Post
    I've mostly done falls and rolls in a more gymnastic/parkour/free running sense than martial arts, but there should be some overlap with learning martial arts falls and throws.

Here's my way of learning and practicing them:
    1) Just go for a roll/fall (start with a small one).
    2a) If it went well, do it about 10 more times to work on building up muscle memory.
    2b) If it didn't go well, have one of the instructors/more experienced people walk you through it or correct any element of it that needs work and go to 1.
    3) Rest (think about form, practice the dance of the fall/landing/roll in your head).
    4) Go to 1.

There's a phrase I heard from a viola teacher a long time ago: Perfect practice produces perfect players.
    Basically, it boils down to go for it, but then step back and analyse what worked, what didn't and why, then fix everything that wasn't perfect and go again.

Lastly, have fun. It seems silly to say that as a learning technique, but you absorb info way faster when you're enjoying the learning process.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much for your advice! I have Judo class again tonight, so I'll be sure to remember what you've said.

Also, Kyrell1978 , thanks for the YouTube link! I haven't quite gotten back into doing throws yet, but when I do this will be really helpful.
    Last edited by SkepticalSquid; 2019-05-09 at 02:13 PM.
    he/him or they/them pronouns, please

11. - Top - End - #101

I’m back with another question. I was finally able to start seriously lifting in March, due to time issues (and laziness). Since then, I’ve improved fairly quickly, at least from where I was, using the push/pull/legs split, but really only in the push and legs department. For some reason, I’ve had a lot of trouble learning how to do pull movements like rows and deadlifts with the correct form, even with light weight, and I haven’t really seemed to make any progress in those areas. I also can’t figure out how to properly structure a pull workout with the right exercises in the right order. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?
    Epic anarchist avatar made by Linklele. Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #102

Are you feeling lat exercises mainly in your biceps instead of your lats? I definitely had that problem early on and as a result my back was probably my least-developed muscle group for a long time. One minor adjustment I made that surprisingly made a hell of a difference was focusing the movement on my elbows rather than my hands-- for example, when doing pulldowns, I used to just think of the movement as pulling my hands down. Once I started thinking of it instead as pulling my elbows down and back, I found it much easier to activate my lats. (I had a similar experience with pectoral flyes, where for the longest time I just wasn't feeling that exercise in my chest until I started thinking of it as bringing my biceps closer together instead of my hands-- now it's probably my favorite exercise for stimulating the chest.)

In terms of the right exercises, that's something you have to work out via trial and error, see which exercises work best for you. For me personally, my favorite lat exercises are pullups, pulldowns (with a shoulder-width overhand grip), one-arm dumbbell rows/lawnmowers, and low rows. For lower back, I mainly stick with hyperextensions; I have mild scoliosis, so nailing the proper straight-back form for deadlifts is a lot tougher for me. When it comes to traps, I like the classic shrugs with dumbbells for upper traps, and facepulls for lower traps (they also are a great rear delt exercise).

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

So, I thought I weigh 10 kilos more than I actually do... which is a good thing. I have a target weight for this year, and it feels kinda good that I've already "cut" 10 of it. I'm going on FODMAP diet due to IBS as well as getting back to cycling (I used to be able to do 10km without issues, but right now 3,5km is a struggle). I'm positive I'll hit my target by the end of the year, and I'm not gonna stress about going lower than that. That'll be a job for next year, then.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Jimmy View Post
    I’m back with another question. I was finally able to start seriously lifting in March, due to time issues (and laziness). Since then, I’ve improved fairly quickly, at least from where I was, using the push/pull/legs split, but really only in the push and legs department. For some reason, I’ve had a lot of trouble learning how to do pull movements like rows and deadlifts with the correct form, even with light weight, and I haven’t really seemed to make any progress in those areas. I also can’t figure out how to properly structure a pull workout with the right exercises in the right order. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?
    This is probably the result of poor mind-muscle connection. Your body doesn't know what to activate when, so it hits the wrong things and uses stronger muscles to compensate.

Turn the weight down a lot, then do the exercise very slowly so you can feel out the activation. Do a high volume of very slow activations over multiple sessions until you can activate the muscles correctly and do the movement with good form, then turn down volume and turn up weight.

Edit: I managed to hit delete on this post by my fingers slipping on the phone while editing. :/

I have had the same problems in the past, I was badly out of shape and my body and mind had little connection left. Focusing on activating the proper muscles will eventually fix it, I had that issue especially with my biceps and glutes staying out of exercises.

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Jimmy View Post
    This is the best deadlift tutorial video I've ever seen Athlean X also has a dead lift checklist that's excellent. As for rows it depends on what type you're going for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8l_8chR5BE is another Alan Thrall video tutorial for traditional barbell rows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEFHHOCfHgw here's a great one for dumb bell rows. As far as order of exercises go I'd do the larger muscle groups before the smaller. Activation of larger muscle groups helps you release more human growth hormone and allows any workout following that to be more productive. This is especially true of the leg muscles so I'd go for deadlift first, whatever type of row/pullup, then on the the smaller bicep/triceps work, but there is no "correct" order. I hope that helps and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    So, I thought I weigh 10 kilos more than I actually do... which is a good thing. I have a target weight for this year, and it feels kinda good that I've already "cut" 10 of it. I'm going on FODMAP diet due to IBS as well as getting back to cycling (I used to be able to do 10km without issues, but right now 3,5km is a struggle). I'm positive I'll hit my target by the end of the year, and I'm not gonna stress about going lower than that. That'll be a job for next year, then.
    That's great. Congrats and good luck meeting all of your goals.

16. - Top - End - #106

Thanks to all of you, that all sounds like it should help me a lot! Especially using the right muscles and stuff, that’s the main thing I was struggling with. That’s super helpful.
    Epic anarchist avatar made by Linklele. Thanks!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Congrats! That is quite a lot of weight to overestimate yourself by.

What is FODMAP?

I approve of cycling as exercise but I am far too scared of cars to do it myself. It has to be an indoor for me.

18. - Top - End - #108

What is FODMAP?
    It's a specific diet designed for people with IBS or Crohns type problems. Every food has a FODMAP score and you try to stick to low FODMAP foods (at least that is what I recall from around a year ago). They thought about putting me on that but then cut out my gall bladder instead

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrell1978 View Post
    It's a specific diet designed for people with IBS or Crohns type problems. Every food has a FODMAP score and you try to stick to low FODMAP foods (at least that is what I recall from around a year ago). They thought about putting me on that but then cut out my gall bladder instead
    Sometimes a more permanent solution is best I suppose.

How is the training going?

20. - Top - End - #110

Sometimes a more permanent solution is best I suppose.

How is the training going?
    Good. My wife and I are running through ax1 together now that she finished AXX (I literally just finished my workout, clicked finished, then checked this forum). We ran two miles today before our ax1 conditioning workout. That might have been a bit of a mistake. I'm also working on deadlifts for the first time since they aren't really common in the AthleanX programs and I hope to be pulling about 300 lbs (approx 135 Kg) by the end of summer (I can get 260 lbs [approx 118 Kg] right now I started teaching Personal Fitness Merit Badge to the kids in my Scout Troop and four of my six kids are now working out pretty regularly (one of them has to for the merit badge and the sibling rivalry took over from there). So, you know busy. Throw in some studying when I can and life's pretty full.

21. - Top - End - #111

I had to google how much 10 kilos was in pounds to grasp just how much of a difference that makes, haha. That's pretty crazy. Good luck hitting your target weight!

Speaking of hitting target weights, I clocked in at an even 162lbs today, which is another peak for me. I could probably stop now, since I'm finally at what I'd consider a normal weight for my height, but... nah. Not satisfied with my physique just yet. Still plenty of room for improvement.
    Last edited by Comrade; 2019-05-25 at 02:02 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Congrats on getting to 162! That is a lot of dedication paying off :)

I am trying a new exercise lately that has been interesting. I have always had weak hands for my size so I started doing forearm exercises about five months ago, lately I have been doing towel-carries (wrapping a weight in a towel and then doing a farmer carry without the ability to close your grip.) The time I spend working out is getting too long so I started doing rows and curls while using the towel to save time, it leads to an insane burn on my arms. I'm going to do that for a bit and see if it makes as much of an effect in size as it does in feeling.

23. - Top - End - #113

I am trying a new exercise lately that has been interesting. I have always had weak hands for my size so I started doing forearm exercises about five months ago, lately I have been doing towel-carries (wrapping a weight in a towel and then doing a farmer carry without the ability to close your grip.) The time I spend working out is getting too long so I started doing rows and curls while using the towel to save time, it leads to an insane burn on my arms. I'm going to do that for a bit and see if it makes as much of an effect in size as it does in feeling.
    Has it had much effect? Grip strength has been a bit of a weak point for me as well.

New PR today, 245lb bench press. Going to take it easy the next couple of weeks on chest days and stick with a 10-15 rep range before I try and bump that up to 255lb.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Has it had much effect? Grip strength has been a bit of a weak point for me as well.

New PR today, 245lb bench press. Going to take it easy the next couple of weeks on chest days and stick with a 10-15 rep range before I try and bump that up to 255lb.
    Grip strength is improving pretty well, but it makes it hard to work biceps properly. They are hard to isolate and they need way different weight amounts. My brachialis have gotten bigger though as they grt worked trying to control the weight swing.

Congrats! Super jelly!
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-06-15 at 11:12 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Congrats, that's getting to those "DAMN" numbers.
    Grip strength is improving pretty well, but it makes it hard to work biceps properly. They are hard to isolate and they need way different weight amounts. My brachialis have gotten bigger though as they grt worked trying to control the weight swing.

Congrats! Super jelly!
    Have you tried separating the muscles out to isolate them? For example, grab a decently heavy bar and use your forearms to roll it forward and backward and separately (probably before the forearm thing) do your regular bicep work. I don't know, just throwing out ideas.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrell1978 View Post
    Congrats, that's getting to those "DAMN" numbers.

Have you tried separating the muscles out to isolate them? For example, grab a decently heavy bar and use your forearms to roll it forward and backward and separately (probably before the forearm thing) do your regular bicep work. I don't know, just throwing out ideas.
    Yeah, that is the normal way to do it and I shall probably go back to it soon. Combining them was an experiment which worked really well for my forearms but did little for my biceps.

I'm going to see a lot more development once the last of my restrictions is lifted; I'm still on lighter weights then I want.

On the plus side the only lingering issue from the car accident is my hip. I am now assigned hiking to stretch the scar tissue out, so back to my hobbies but the constant pain is a drawback.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-06-16 at 12:36 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Switching to FODMAP has made me lose around 3 kilos in the past month or so. Now I just need to add exercise. Plan is to have a cycle-walk-cycle-walk-cycle rhythm weekly to build up my stamina again. I have to go gentle with the cycling for at least the first two weeks now, so I'm limiting the time per day to 15-30min depending if I need to run errands or not. Days I walk, an hour is a minimum. When I get back from my babysitting gig on the second week of July, my plan is to start with weights. Gonna buy a 10x visitor pass to my nearest gym, so i get used to lifting and have time to think what kind of weights I want to buy for myself to use at home. Or, well, if I like the gym enough, I'll skip on buying weights and get a monthly pass (which isn't too much as I get student discount and the place is owned by the city, not a private one).

Phew. Writing all this out is helping me clarify my plan. And now that it's out in the public... I guess I need to stick to it.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Switching to FODMAP has made me lose around 3 kilos in the past month or so. Now I just need to add exercise. Plan is to have a cycle-walk-cycle-walk-cycle rhythm weekly to build up my stamina again. I have to go gentle with the cycling for at least the first two weeks now, so I'm limiting the time per day to 15-30min depending if I need to run errands or not. Days I walk, an hour is a minimum. When I get back from my babysitting gig on the second week of July, my plan is to start with weights. Gonna buy a 10x visitor pass to my nearest gym, so i get used to lifting and have time to think what kind of weights I want to buy for myself to use at home. Or, well, if I like the gym enough, I'll skip on buying weights and get a monthly pass (which isn't too much as I get student discount and the place is owned by the city, not a private one).

Phew. Writing all this out is helping me clarify my plan. And now that it's out in the public... I guess I need to stick to it.
    Sounds like a forward looking plan!

You might want to look at some lifting plans, it is easy to get shellshock when you walk in the gym and not know what to do.

29. - Top - End - #119

Sounds awesome!!!

Sounds like a forward looking plan!

You might want to look at some lifting plans, it is easy to get shellshock when you walk in the gym and not know what to do.
    This is great advice also. It's going to be super important to plan out this phase as well to ensure that you don't end up developing imbalances in any particular area.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

I've learnt rather good lifting things back when I did boxing and from waaaay back in the day when I had a personal trainer (jfc that's a story and a half). Though, it's not a bad idea to check online for a refresher. I'll start with 1,5kg weights for sure just to get used to them again, and then up the kilos.

In general, for years I've really wanted to get into powerlifting, but right now it's a bit far fetched. But I'd like to be able to lift half my target weight at some point (so around 45-50kg). I mean, even third of that would be cool. Anything, really!

Kendo was the perfect sport for me. Feeling a bit sad that I have no opportunities to get back to it at least for now. It's an awesome full body workout that also fixed my sense of balance to at least some extent.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~