New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Get fit 2: Resolution 2K:19!

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    I've learnt rather good lifting things back when I did boxing and from waaaay back in the day when I had a personal trainer (jfc that's a story and a half). Though, it's not a bad idea to check online for a refresher. I'll start with 1,5kg weights for sure just to get used to them again, and then up the kilos.

In general, for years I've really wanted to get into powerlifting, but right now it's a bit far fetched. But I'd like to be able to lift half my target weight at some point (so around 45-50kg). I mean, even third of that would be cool. Anything, really!

Kendo was the perfect sport for me. Feeling a bit sad that I have no opportunities to get back to it at least for now. It's an awesome full body workout that also fixed my sense of balance to at least some extent.
    Good luck with your goals. I've always thought power lifting was pretty interesting and I play around with doing 5 x5s when I'm between programs.
    We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life.....God sent us.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So on the confessional side: I went off keto for about 6 months to see if I could maintain bodyweight while on a normal diet. The first four months I stayed at 250, over the last two months though I have gained 13 pounds. The slide up was slow at first, but then it lept up from 255 to 260 and stuck there.

So I'm going back through induction now. I'm frustrated because my desire to snack came back after a few months, I will have to break myself of it again. I still met my goal of losing 160 pounds in 2 years, but I lost 170 and slid back up and it irritates me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    So on the confessional side: I went off keto for about 6 months to see if I could maintain bodyweight while on a normal diet. The first four months I stayed at 250, over the last two months though I have gained 13 pounds. The slide up was slow at first, but then it lept up from 255 to 260 and stuck there.

So I'm going back through induction now. I'm frustrated because my desire to snack came back after a few months, I will have to break myself of it again. I still met my goal of losing 160 pounds in 2 years, but I lost 170 and slid back up and it irritates me.
    This happens to all of us i think. I spent nearly a year at 195 and am sitting at 205 now. It got back up to 215 at one point. It's good that you realized it and are working it back down though, so good job for that. I'm doing the same thing with my weight as well.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrell1978 View Post
    This happens to all of us i think. I spent nearly a year at 195 and am sitting at 205 now. It got back up to 215 at one point. It's good that you realized it and are working it back down though, so good job for that. I'm doing the same thing with my weight as well.
    Thank you for the support, it is nice to know it isn't just me :)

I moved my daily steps to 15,000 to keep my calories burned at 1,000. I have slowly been adding steps to keep my calories stable, but I had to drop it a lot after the accident and now I get to move back up.

5. - Top - End - #125

Thank you for the support, it is nice to know it isn't just me :)

I moved my daily steps to 15,000 to keep my calories burned at 1,000. I have slowly been adding steps to keep my calories stable, but I had to drop it a lot after the accident and now I get to move back up.
    Sounds like you got a plan in place to get back to it. I have no doubt that you'll get back to where you were fairly quickly. Anytime on the whole support thing. This is exactly why I was super happy to see that this thread existed. I know that I was encouraged and drew inspiration from some crazy places and I would like to think that I could do that for someone someday.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

There's always peaks and valleys. As long as you maintain a general trend in the direction you want to be going in, you're doing alright.

Speaking of peaks and valleys, I forgot how much havoc a vacation can wreak on gains. Been out of town the last few days (with another week or so to go) and there aren't any gyms in the area I can go to, so I've been trying to put together some kind of ersatz workout plan to hold me over until I get back. I've tried stuffing my boots and four full jugs of water into my backpack and using it as a makeshift dumbbell for upright rows and lawnmowers and stuff like that. Suffice it to say, not an ideal substitute for a gym. Also tried incorporating push ups but the pain in my hands/wrists makes me stop long before any burn in my chest or triceps does.

Plus with all the walking/sightseeing we've been doing I imagine my weight's going to take a hit too. I just hope it doesn't clear out my gains too bad.

Anyway, if anybody has any tips for strength training when you don't have access to gym equipment, I'm all ears!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

7. - Top - End - #127

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Also tried incorporating push ups but the pain in my hands/wrists makes me stop long before any burn in my chest or triceps does.

Anyway, if anybody has any tips for strength training when you don't have access to gym equipment, I'm all ears!
    Only thing I can offer is try doing knuckle push ups, keeping your wrist inline with your arm. Often that helps reduce hand/wrist pain for those exercises. Also, first couple times you're doing that, put some sort of padding under your fist, a folded sweatshirt works great.

Learned that tip from a chiropractor, probably worth a shot.
    Long-form Sig

8. - Top - End - #128

There's always peaks and valleys. As long as you maintain a general trend in the direction you want to be going in, you're doing alright.

Speaking of peaks and valleys, I forgot how much havoc a vacation can wreak on gains. Been out of town the last few days (with another week or so to go) and there aren't any gyms in the area I can go to, so I've been trying to put together some kind of ersatz workout plan to hold me over until I get back. I've tried stuffing my boots and four full jugs of water into my backpack and using it as a makeshift dumbbell for upright rows and lawnmowers and stuff like that. Suffice it to say, not an ideal substitute for a gym. Also tried incorporating push ups but the pain in my hands/wrists makes me stop long before any burn in my chest or triceps does.

Plus with all the walking/sightseeing we've been doing I imagine my weight's going to take a hit too. I just hope it doesn't clear out my gains too bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Y2v3fiQLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA8GzhFh_CQ

Here's a couple of workouts from AthleanX that I've done that are all bodyweight. I did his Xero program as well and it's pretty killer but if you are just looking for something to tide you over probably not for you. He has a bunch more on his YouTube channel as well. Range of motion exercises for your wrist might help with the push up/wrist pain problem.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I got a new gym membership in a hole in the wall gym near me. The place is great actually, very old fashioned and everyone knows what they are doing.

My big issues were my back and shoulders; my arms are strong but my delts are very weak and my back is weak from my accident. I'm doing 5x5 for the time being, deadlift and shoulders today.

I'm thinking about doing Push/Pull/Legs on a five day a week split. So it would go Push/pull/Legs/push/pull
    Legs/push/pull/Legs/pull
    With the spaces around leg day since deadlift and squats are more draining then upperbody.

Edit: things are worse then I feared.

Bench: 115
    Row: 90
    Deadlift: 150
    Elliptical: I can only manage a heart rate of 130 for 25 minutes before feeling sick
    Overhead: 80

Disappointing first few days.

Edit 7/10: First rest day, my body is naturally sore but I already miss the clarity exhaustion brought the last three days.

My current schedule is below, I am on the first Wednesday.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sunday Exercise A: (Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, Abs)
    Deadlift
    Lunges
    Calf Raises
    Ab stuff (there is lots of variety there)

Monday Exercise B: (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)
    Benchpress
    Overhead Press
    Flies

Tuesday: Exercise C: (Back, Biceps)
    Row
    Curls
    Lat Pulldowns

Wednesday: off

Thursday: Exercise A (legs)

Friday: off

Saturday: Exercise B (Push)

Sunday: Exercise C (Pull)

Week 2

Monday: off

Tuesday: Exercise A (Legs)

Thursday: Exercise B Push

Friday: Exercise C Pull

Saturday: off

Sunday: Exercise A Legs

Edit 7/13: The first week is done, feeling great. I "jogged" 10 miles this week, walked 30, and lifted 5/6 days. Doing well, the jogging actually is really helping my hip pain.

My lifts suck, but they are already improving so a lot of it is cognitive limits I think.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-07-13 at 03:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130

I got a new gym membership in a hole in the wall gym near me. The place is great actually, very old fashioned and everyone knows what they are doing.

My big issues were my back and shoulders; my arms are strong but my delts are very weak and my back is weak from my accident. I'm doing 5x5 for the time being, deadlift and shoulders today.

I'm thinking about doing Push/Pull/Legs on a five day a week split. So it would go Push/pull/Legs/push/pull
    Legs/push/pull/Legs/pull
    With the spaces around leg day since deadlift and squats are more draining then upperbody.

Edit: things are worse then I feared.

Bench: 115
    Row: 90
    Deadlift: 150
    Elliptical: I can only manage a heart rate of 130 for 25 minutes before feeling sick
    Overhead: 80

Disappointing first few days.

Edit 7/10: First rest day, my body is naturally sore but I already miss the clarity exhaustion brought the last three days.

My current schedule is below, I am on the first Wednesday.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sunday Exercise A: (Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, Abs)
    Deadlift
    Lunges
    Calf Raises
    Ab stuff (there is lots of variety there)

Monday Exercise B: (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)
    Benchpress
    Overhead Press
    Flies

Tuesday: Exercise C: (Back, Biceps)
    Row
    Curls
    Lat Pulldowns

Thursday: Exercise A (legs)

Friday: off

Saturday: Exercise B (Push)

Sunday: Exercise C (Pull)

Week 2

Monday: off

Tuesday: Exercise A (Legs)

Thursday: Exercise B Push

Friday: Exercise C Pull

Saturday: off

Sunday: Exercise A Legs

Edit 7/13: The first week is done, feeling great. I "jogged" 10 miles this week, walked 30, and lifted 5/6 days. Doing well, the jogging actually is really helping my hip pain.

My lifts suck, but they are already improving so a lot of it is cognitive limits I think.
    The numbers will come.....but you knew that. I'm sure you're already seeing progress by now.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The numbers will come.....but you knew that. I'm sure you're already seeing progress by now.
    Quite a bit of progress. Deadlift is back up to 250 (which is my weight so I should hope so,) my cardio has improved tremendously already. I feel happier too, which is the biggest thing.

How is it going on your end?

12. - Top - End - #132

Quite a bit of progress. Deadlift is back up to 250 (which is my weight so I should hope so,) my cardio has improved tremendously already. I feel happier too, which is the biggest thing.

How is it going on your end?
    Pretty good. I just got back from Scout Camp with my boys. 10 days in the woods with no phone or internet always seems to put me in a better place. Now to catch up on the work that needs done. Thanks for asking.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Pretty good. I just got back from Scout Camp with my boys. 10 days in the woods with no phone or internet always seems to put me in a better place. Now to catch up on the work that needs done. Thanks for asking.
    That is a lot of time for reflection. I would be miserable by the time I got back :0

I have found out that I really like running up hill and in no other situations. Running on flat ground takes a lot of technical knowledge, downhill more so. Uphill and your feet automatically put themselves in the running position, and all of the work is done by your glutes, calves and hamstrings.

14. - Top - End - #134

Just walking downhill is brutal on the calves. I make sure to hit my calves pretty hard during leg day at the gym but I don't think they've ever been more sore than the day after a hike where the way back was a lot of downhill trail.

Made an attempt at a 255lb PR on bench press last week. Couldn't get the weight up, but I was able to get five solid reps with 225 pounds (my PR when this thread was started, I think) this week, so I'm thinking the failure was a fluke. Going to take another crack at it next week. Body weight stalled a bit, but it's back on an upward trend and I'm now at 163lb, which is a new all time high!
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Just walking downhill is brutal on the calves. I make sure to hit my calves pretty hard during leg day at the gym but I don't think they've ever been more sore than the day after a hike where the way back was a lot of downhill trail.

Made an attempt at a 255lb PR on bench press last week. Couldn't get the weight up, but I was able to get five solid reps with 225 pounds (my PR when this thread was started, I think) this week, so I'm thinking the failure was a fluke. Going to take another crack at it next week. Body weight stalled a bit, but it's back on an upward trend and I'm now at 163lb, which is a new all time high!
    Wow buddy! Congrats! I'm sure you will hit it soon if you don't make it next week!

Knowing how slender you were before I bet you look like a beefcake now :)

16. - Top - End - #136

Anybody else watch the crossfit games this weekend? Those guys are absolutely nuts.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Anybody else watch the crossfit games this weekend? Those guys are absolutely nuts.
    I didn't know there were crossfit games. What were ghe highlights?

18. - Top - End - #138

I didn't know there were crossfit games. What were ghe highlights?
    There is so much that they do it's crazy. They have all the events for men, women, and co ed teams on youtube. Here's an event. I'm super addicted to this and I don't even do the cross fit thing.

19. - Top - End - #139

I liked the swimming event, both as a former swimmer and because for once good form won out.

Speaking of it, for the first time in years I did some actual swimming! The weather in Germany was exceptionally hot and sunny this summer and so I went to the open air pool a few times. I am of course far removed from the ability I had ~10 years ago, but I felt very comfortable in the water and did up to 1500 m on a set. A great full body workout, relaxes the muscels in the back and in a long, empty pool also quite meditative. Can't recommend it enough.

In general, I have been pretty negligent fitness wise. In part because of a persistent cold, then some mysterious injuries in wrist and shoulder. The former kept me from running for a long time, the latter canceled the push-up plan. One of the running events I had planned for this year, I had to cancel because of a scheduling conflict.

During the last two months, I got slowly back on track. With the swimming, lots of physical work for a festival of my orchestra and going for some runs I feel pretty good. Watching those insanely fit crossfitters also motivated me to do some bodyweight workouts.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    I liked the swimming event, both as a former swimmer and because for once good form won out.

Speaking of it, for the first time in years I did some actual swimming! The weather in Germany was exceptionally hot and sunny this summer and so I went to the open air pool a few times. I am of course far removed from the ability I had ~10 years ago, but I felt very comfortable in the water and did up to 1500 m on a set. A great full body workout, relaxes the muscels in the back and in a long, empty pool also quite meditative. Can't recommend it enough.

In general, I have been pretty negligent fitness wise. In part because of a persistent cold, then some mysterious injuries in wrist and shoulder. The former kept me from running for a long time, the latter canceled the push-up plan. One of the running events I had planned for this year, I had to cancel because of a scheduling conflict.

During the last two months, I got slowly back on track. With the swimming, lots of physical work for a festival of my orchestra and going for some runs I feel pretty good. Watching those insanely fit crossfitters also motivated me to do some bodyweight workouts.
    Yeah. I throw that on during workouts quite a bit around this time of year. They also have about 4 Netflix Documentaries about previous years (I told you all I'm addicted). 1500m is a lot. I think I was 14 or 15 the last time I did that (Mile swim in Boy Scouts).

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Anyone have advice on how to get enough protein? I eat a lot of meat and dairy but my protein never quite reaches the desired amount, and protein powder isn't the easiest thing to use on the go (milk spoils fast.)

22. - Top - End - #142

NecromancerGuy

Anyone have advice on how to get enough protein? I eat a lot of meat and dairy but my protein never quite reaches the desired amount, and protein powder isn't the easiest thing to use on the go (milk spoils fast.)
    Here is a decent overview of a bunch of variations on protein powders. Otherwise (or additionally), just get a small container that can hold 2-3 servings of the protein powder so you can carry it around dry and mix it into a drink as you want it. Carrying some like that kept me going through a whole season of life-guarding for a summer camp eight hours per day with a 20 mile bike commute each way.

I tend to have a low meat diet, but lots of rice/beans, eggs, quinoa, cheese and nuts. I don't know the exact breakdown and numbers, but it's kept me healthy and strong for the last four-ish years with my very active life (I'm an outdoor guide/educator and amateur competitive endurance athlete).
    Long-form Sig

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Avenger View Post
    Here is a decent overview of a bunch of variations on protein powders. Otherwise (or additionally), just get a small container that can hold 2-3 servings of the protein powder so you can carry it around dry and mix it into a drink as you want it. Carrying some like that kept me going through a whole season of life-guarding for a summer camp eight hours per day with a 20 mile bike commute each way.

I tend to have a low meat diet, but lots of rice/beans, eggs, quinoa, cheese and nuts. I don't know the exact breakdown and numbers, but it's kept me healthy and strong for the last four-ish years with my very active life (I'm an outdoor guide/educator and amateur competitive endurance athlete).
    Do you find the cooking time on beans gets difficult? I like beans but 8 hours soaking plus 2 hours cooking gets tiring after a while, I end up eating really late.

The link is nice, thanks :)

24. - Top - End - #144

I eat a lot of chicken (about 50g of protein in a 6-7 oz skinless breast for about 250-300 Cal), egg whites ( approx 50 g in 2 cups of eggs for around 250 Cal), cottage cheese ( 1% is 320 Cal for around 50 g of protein). Not a lot of on the go advice though.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm actually on a diet and exercise for a 30-day challenge. I'm so glad I've found this thread.

26. - Top - End - #146

Welcome aboard.

27. - Top - End - #147

Chicken breast. Lots and lots of chicken breast. Absurd amounts of chicken breast.

Seriously though, protein powder is great if you're constantly on the move and need the convenience (personally I've found Musclepharm Combat and Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard in particular to be pretty good) but there's a lot of ways to sneak more protein into your diet. If you're going to have a bacon omelette for breakfast, for example, use egg whites, and substitute the bacon with turkey bacon; that'll add a solid 30 to 40 grams of protein to your breakfast.

Like Kyrell said though... get used to eating lots of variations of chicken breast. I'm pretty sure I've consumed more chicken and rice in the last year than most people do in a lifetime. It ain't fun but it's protein.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I'm actually on a diet and exercise for a 30-day challenge. I'm so glad I've found this thread.
    Welcome!
    Last edited by Comrade; 2019-09-07 at 10:53 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

What's your take on Acai? Is it healthy? Because what I heard about Acai it has antioxidants and omega-3.

29. - Top - End - #149

What's your take on Acai? Is it healthy? Because what I heard about Acai it has antioxidants and omega-3.
    I just took a look at the nutritional values. They look ok. Weight loss is more about your Calorie count (you must be in a caloric deficit to lose weight) than finding super foods and such. If you are lifting weights (and I highly suggest that everyone do that to some extent) you should probably concentrate on getting enough protein to build lean muscle mass and everyone should stay away from refined sugars as much as possible.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So healthy eating is about a couple things. Micro nutrients, Macro nutrients, and calories.

Foods like acai and blue berries are useful for getting micro nutrients in to your diet. These are the vitamins and minerals that make your heart best properly, keep your bones strong, etc.

Then there is four macro nutrients thst break down into calories. Fat, carbohydrates, protein and alcohol. These breakdown into calories ar different rates and effect your liver and blood sugar differently as a result. You need protein to rebuild muscle as a separate concern.

The primary goal is to eat macros that break down slowly except before intense exercise, so fat, protein and complex carbs in larger amounts and limit fruit and starches as much as possible. Another way to do this is to focus on the glyemic index, which tells you how much food effects your blood sugar.

You want to move your blood sugar as little as possible because of the insulin cycle. When you make too much blood sugar your body releases insulin which turns it into glycogen, then your body has too little blood sugar so it tells you to eat more even though you have plenty of spare calories. So normally you want to slowest blood sugar release possible.

Calories are the total amount of energy you get from food, and to lose weight you want to take in less energy then you spend. Most diets are about getting your body not to panic or insist on eating the difference, another reason to eat low glycemic foods. Overweight people tend to have overactive insulin responses, you it is especially important to avoid over active insulin responses until you have trained your body.

In the case of acai berries I would avoid them in the early days, try to get your sugars and simple carbs as low as possible at first.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-09-09 at 04:36 PM.