New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Girl Genius XXV: It needs work! BUT THE CONCEPT IS SOUND!

It is a world ruled by Mad Science! Things happen. Usually, they happen to other people. This is entertainment. That's when the front door gets blown in- And you belatedly realize that, once again, you are doomed to be the entertainment in another exciting installment of: GIRL GENIUS!

Many elegant, finely-crafted, and vintage links follow:

Links to Previous Threads

Comic Links
    Link to current comic and link to the beginning of the strip. (Updates MWF, usually after Midnight [Eastern Time])
    The Continuing Adventures of Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer! (back on hiatus, may update in the future)
    A compilation (and much easier to read if you're just catching up) of the first three chapters can be found here at the GG website.
    And if one goes to snapbird.org and types in "Othar" in the 'Who?' field, all of Othar's adventures can be read on one page (albiet in reverse order of posting - Now must have a Twitter account to use).
    Mirror of the comic found on LiveJournal (No longer being updated as of Mid-May, 2017)
    Mirror of the comic found on Facebook (Will occasionally have Girl Genius related news)
    And one can find mirrors of Girl Genius on deviantArt as well. (Occasionally Kaja will put up or link to interesting GG related art that is found on dA)

Reference Links
    Wiki Project devoted to to Girl Genius
    Wikipedia entry on Girl Genius.
    TV Tropes page on Girl Genius.
    The Secret Blueprints (NOTE: Contains background information on the GG Universe, so it should probably be read after "catching up" to the newest comic, as it contains many spoilers.)

Social Media and News Links
    Phil Foglio's new Wordpress art, news, and blogging website.
    Kaja Foglio's LJ Page and Studio Foglio News LJ Page (Not currently being updated)
    Kaja & Phil's Personal Facebook Page (Not currently being updated)
    A twitter account that basically is a catch-all feed for Girl Genius related news.
    Cheyenne Wright's Twitter and LiveJournal Accounts (The colorist's twitter and LJ pages)
    And finally,
    Phil's old LJ page. (Occasionally contains crossposts from the Wordpress website)

====

Q: What is this "Sneaky Gate" y'alls go on about?

Sneaky gate: Named from this hidden gate in comic, it has become a name for viewing new comics early. Remember, if you're going to discuss the new comic, put it in spoiler boxes until the release time (12am EST).

Sneaky Gate 101:
    1. Right click the comic image.
    2. Select view image or copy paste the image location into the address bar.
    3. Modify the date to be the day you're trying to look at. (ex. 20120111 -> 20120113)
    4. Go to the modified url.
    5. Be disappointed when there's no early comic to read.
    6. Alternately, enjoy the comic!
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Girl Genius XXV: It needs work! BUT THE CONCEPT IS SOUND!

I bet Klaus designed the overlay to rush blood to Gil's forehead whenever he takes over, just so that it looks like he has dramatic underlighting.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    Which may very well be how any technology that is "throw a lightning bolt at your targer" affects the air near the user.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    The description of the air around Past Albia and the description of the air around Gil's lightning wand were basically identical. Greasy, and then a bolt of lightning was thrown.

Which might mean that the Other had time to prepare the location in advance (Gil had set up generators all around the castle).

Which might mean that one of the queens was working WITH Lucrezia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    "So there was this one time Bill's daughter threw a carriage at me."
    *Glares menacingly*
    "You totally had just killed Lars!"
    "Who is Lars?"
    *Glares menacingly too*

The overlay can here when Gil is unconscious and just remember whatever it was that Albia & co did to him.
    Here are some posts that happened after the new thread started.

I do wonder if after removing Lu from Agatha's head they will figure out how to shut down slaver wasps permanently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I do wonder if after removing Lu from Agatha's head they will figure out how to shut down slaver wasps permanently.
    I think killing them does the trick. Or do you mean curing the revenants? They'd probably need access to a Hive Engine('s blueprint) to crack that one.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

I mean, they have step 1. Identifying the infected. Theoretically they should be able to trace it back through there to find how it works and from there work on stopping it from doing that.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I mean, they have step 1. Identifying the infected. Theoretically they should be able to trace it back through there to find how it works and from there work on stopping it from doing that.
    That depends: can they study the wasp itself without killing the revenant?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-01-23 at 07:12 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

7. - Top - End - #7

That depends: can they study the wasp itself without killing the revenant?
    I don't see why not. Of course, to do it the way I'm thinking would mean you have to find and capture a live slaver engine to study under controlled circumstances without it spewing out the wasps to infect anyone around. But that's what Jagers are for. If anyone can capture an engine, it is them. And now that I think about it, have we had any recorded cases of Jagers getting wasped? I can't recall any at least.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    I don't see why not. Of course, to do it the way I'm thinking would mean you have to find and capture a live slaver engine to study under controlled circumstances without it spewing out the wasps to infect anyone around. But that's what Jagers are for. If anyone can capture an engine, it is them. And now that I think about it, have we had any recorded cases of Jagers getting wasped? I can't recall any at least.
    Yes, that is why I was saying they'd need a Slaver Engine. Traab was saying they could just use the infected.
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #9

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out dosing wasp-victims with Dyne water cures them, or at least Dyne water gets used as part of a cure. (Water that normal Mechanicsburgers drink, not the insta-deadly stuff under the Castle.)

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    The description of the air around Past Albia and the description of the air around Gil's lightning wand were basically identical. Greasy, and then a bolt of lightning was thrown.
    Actually, that's standard for any massive electric discharge. It's just how your brain processes the signals your nerves send in.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    And now that I think about it, have we had any recorded cases of Jagers getting wasped? I can't recall any at least.
    No, there haven't been any Jaeger revenants seen or even mentioned in the comic. Which could mean anything from "it's a patently absurd idea and the cast knows it" to "it's very possible but the Foglios haven't placed the idea on the audience's radar yet".
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Slaver wasps dont affect Jagers.
    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...7#.XEmfVGkh1aQ

So if this changes, it would require a specially developed wasp.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Slaver wasps dont affect Jagers.
    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...7#.XEmfVGkh1aQ

So if this changes, it would require a specially developed wasp.
    You mean, like the specially developed one that will affect Sparks?

14. - Top - End - #14

Yes, that is why I was saying they'd need a Slaver Engine. Traab was saying they could just use the infected.
    Exactly, they have those weasels that can sense revenants even when they look totally normal. That means they can detect something changed on them. It should be possible to them examine one of these revenants with everything from standard tests to full scale vivisection to determine exactly what the slaver wasps DO to enslave them and from there come up with a way to block it. A vaccine, or a cure, something. Heck, an energy field that blocks the mind control effect over a city, whatever. What one scientist creates, another can defeat.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

What one scientist creates, another can defeat.
    I think you mean technologist. It is mainly restricted to fiction anyway.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

16. - Top - End - #16

PirateCaptain

I believe it was stated at some point that the wasps are a vector for some sort of virus. At any rate, Tarvek's already invented an innoculation and Gil seems to have developed it into a full-blown cure (if it wasn't one already), so it's really just a case of distributing it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Exactly, they have those weasels that can sense revenants even when they look totally normal. That means they can detect something changed on them. It should be possible to them examine one of these revenants with everything from standard tests to full scale vivisection to determine exactly what the slaver wasps DO to enslave them and from there come up with a way to block it. A vaccine, or a cure, something. Heck, an energy field that blocks the mind control effect over a city, whatever. What one scientist creates, another can defeat.
    It's the slaver wasp they detect.
    Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    I believe it was stated at some point that the wasps are a vector for some sort of virus. At any rate, Tarvek's already invented an innoculation and Gil seems to have developed it into a full-blown cure (if it wasn't one already), so it's really just a case of distributing it.
    Oh, I didn't remember that. Nevermind then.
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #18

They also ping on the warrior variant, as we see later in the second arc.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Sadly it's still just a vaccine and not a cure.
    Last edited by RedScholarGypsy; 2019-01-24 at 06:21 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

New thread tag...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post
    I do wonder how far Ms. Thorpe will go in conspiring with the baron against Gil. If she's actually started to like him, she should feel bad about that sort of thing. If it's all for queen and country, then who knows what these two will cook up.
    Well...there we go. Kudos.

22. - Top - End - #22

BlueWizardGirl

There's nothing as bad as parents interfering in your love life, is there? I suppose this is another thing sparks overdo in ways that are a hundred times crazier than anything normal people could dream of.

Oh, wait, there's another terrifying thing about being a Heterodyne. You come from generations of sparks who've raised messing with their kids to an art form.

Although, being in your son's head and interrupting his conversation to tell the woman he was talking to you want her to marry him and get rid of the competition is worth a series of horror movies all its own.

23. - Top - End - #23

When we finally meet Klaus's wife, it will be interesting to see just how "likeable" she is.

24. - Top - End - #24

Beholder

We have seen the Heterodyne's Child Rooms, and yet I still think they're better than certain parents I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Although, being in your son's head and interrupting his conversation to tell the woman he was talking to you want her to marry him and get rid of the competition is worth a series of horror movies all its own.
    It's interesting that, when the Klaus gestalt is in control, Gil isn't aware of what he's saying or doing, but the reverse is definitely not true--Klaus is fully aware of what happened when Gil was in Albia's sanctuary. Does Lucrezia in Agatha work the same way? I can't remember.

26. - Top - End - #26

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by RedScholarGypsy View Post
    Sadly it's still just a vaccine and not a cure.
    Ah, you're right. Dimo must have been talking about people who were wasped after receiving the vaccine. Still, we never found a cure for smallpox or polio, and the vaccines cleared those up nicely.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It's interesting that, when the Klaus gestalt is in control, Gil isn't aware of what he's saying or doing, but the reverse is definitely not true--Klaus is fully aware of what happened when Gil was in Albia's sanctuary. Does Lucrezia in Agatha work the same way? I can't remember.
    Lucrezia didn't work that way at first when she kept switching with Agatha and Tarvek pretended to help both, neither could remember what the other was up to. Since Agatha has the locket it seems like Lu has gained some abitilty to percieve her surroundings as shown with the incident in Van rijn's lab.

Also a gestalt is a merger of several entities, so the Klaus overlay is not one.
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

I like Trelawney's comeback to Klaus.

I'm getting more and more intrigued about Klaus's wife and I hope we get sufficient pages to the whole reveal/reunion when it happens.

Also damnit Klaus don't you know the rules if you're against Gil marrying Agatha the probability of it happening approaches 100%.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    When we finally meet Klaus's wife, it will be interesting to see just how "likeable" she is.
    Anytime Zeetha talks about her mom, we get the impression that she's a strong queen and a great warrior, but I've never gotten any warm and fuzzies off of any of Zeetha's mentions of her.
    Last edited by datalaughing; 2019-01-25 at 07:33 AM.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

30. - Top - End - #30

PirateCaptain

I think Klaus is more making a self-deprecating joke "Gil must have got his likability from his mother because he sure as heck didn't get it from me" than specifically calling Queen ... do we know her name? I'll just call her The Queen of Skif ... than specifically calling The Queen of Skif likable.