New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Girl Genius XXV: It needs work! BUT THE CONCEPT IS SOUND!

Quote Originally Posted by RedScholarGypsy View Post
    Also remembered that the storyteller is Oggie's descendant. I wonder if the Jagers' immunity to wasping can be inherited.
    I always assumed that he was the result of a pre-jagerisation relationship.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    The location of Tinka and Moxana is unknown, but I don't think the Circus has them. They had no way to get them when everything blew up. That means Wolfenbach troops could have found them when they contained the town. There are very few people that could actually repair Tinka fully, but one of them would be Gil and he would give them the respect they deserver. I wonder if we haven't already seen Otilia and just didn't recognize her new body.
    If Moxana really can tell the future, she might have gotten herself and Tinka's body out of the city before the troops rolled in. That'd be a pretty big 'if' in all sorts of ways, though.

I believe Otilia is still in the super Fun-Sized Mobile Agony and Death Dispenser / Devil Dog body in Mechanicsburg, and as such locked in place until the time bubble bursts.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Hey, you get the queens tattoo or whatever it is, and suddenly everyone wants to be a part of your crew! I bet she managed to recruit them in short order.
    Is it my imagination, or has it been inferred that Captain Hawkins has been...um..."aquaintances" with both Seffie and Miss Thorpe?
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

4. - Top - End - #274

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Is it my imagination, or has it been inferred that Captain Hawkins has been...um..."aquaintances" with both Seffie and Miss Thorpe?
    Pretty much, tho the Foglios have been careful to leave wiggle room as to how close these relationships actually are.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Pretty much, tho the Foglios have been careful to leave wiggle room as to how close these relationships actually are.
    The impression I get with Seffie is that there has been some "wiggling" going on, unlike with Thorpe.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

A possible problem for Seffie:

Politically, she's a good match for Gil. On the other hand, members of her family get a little ax-crazy when it comes to thinning the family tree. Seffie has come across as a bit more restrained in that respect, but that may be pragmatism (people feel better about allying with someone they don't THINK is going to stab them in the back).

Either way, after nearly three years, Klaus still hasn't openly spoken to her and hasn't supported her maneuvering for political marriage with Gil. But, it only took a few days for him to do both those things with Thorpe.

So, there's a guy in Gil's head who's perfectly capable of killing Seffie who may not be supporting whatever it is she's trying to do and who may have reason to act if she tries to remove Thorpe (lethally or otherwise).

Just one more complication to look forward to.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post

Politically, she's a good match for Gil. On the other hand, members of her family get a little ax-crazy when it comes to thinning the family tree. Seffie has come across as a bit more restrained in that respect, but that may be pragmatism (people feel better about allying with someone they don't THINK is going to stab them in the back).

Either way, after nearly three years, Klaus still hasn't openly spoken to her and hasn't supported her maneuvering for political marriage with Gil. But, it only took a few days for him to do both those things with Thorpe.

So, there's a guy in Gil's head who's perfectly capable of killing Seffie who may not be supporting whatever it is she's trying to do and who may have reason to act if she tries to remove Thorpe (lethally or otherwise).

You're right, but it's worth noting that Thorpe is an agent while Seffie is a royal. One focuses all their intense gifts towards protecting her nation while the other focuses on her personal agendas. Klaus will always favor a nationalist over a royal, all else being equal, because he's a nationalist who has to overcome royals regularly. More to the point, Thorpe is in a better position right now. Gil and Sef haven't had much interaction, meaning that Klaus does not see how much of a focus his son has become for her. He likely isn't aware that Sef is actively trying to pair Agatha up with Tarvek to break her away from Gil. Even if he did realize it, Thorpe would still win because Sef is too benevolent in her agenda: Sef's ideal outcome is apparently for Agatha to be happy and free. And probably friends, if possible. Agatha may be a stepping stone to Sef's goals, but Sef does seem to actually like the Heterodyne... as well as Tarvek. On the other hand, Albia, like Klaus, wants Agatha contained. Happy, if possible, but absolutely contained. If Rakethorn can keep her tied to England without ever feeling imprisoned, that would be great, but if iron bars and chains are required they would be provided (not that this would work on a Spark). For her part, Thorpe has no interest in Agatha except in regards to her relationship with Gil. And then there's the political side of things: if Gil is going to get into a political marriage, Thorpe brings Albia into the family while Sef brings... well... her family into the family. One is a peer and rival that could be a valuable ally with the right ties, the other is a nest of vipers that will never stop looking for ways to bring down rivals and elevate themselves. Then add in Agatha's current presence and relevance to the situation: a supposedly far-off suitor with no great claim on him is not a solution to the problem, while Thorpe's actively making a play for Gil is a tool Klaus can use right now.

So, yeah, from Klaus's perspective, Thorpe wins hands down. Really, the only person who'd be rooting for Seffie at this point is Tarvek, because he's too nice for his own good and would prefer to see Seffie happy than heartbroken, especially if it meant he ends up with Agatha. I mean, I think Tweedle would rather see Gil dead than happily married.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post

Actually i think Klaus is part of why Gil has been considering the match with Seffie. Note that Gil openingly acknowledging the seffie may be right about their marriage is part of what got Bang suspicious about Gil not being in full control of himself. Gil really does NOT want to marry her as he wants to remain free for agatha, but some part of him WAS indeed pushing him in that direction. Bang ha noted that the Baron's control is hard to spot; his influence over Gil seems like if may be very subtle and not as overt as him taking full control as we've seen him do a couple of times. And while Seffie's family is not to be trusted, the empire is broken and even the Baron must admit that trying his family to that of the storm king would indeed be logical way to restore order in europe. With Gil married to the storm king family, not only would it end the fight with a bitter rival, but it would also give Gil the kind of Royal legitimacy that would shut down a lot of the open opposition from the 50 families who have been fighting him for years; the Baron may not subscribe to the usual rules of nobility, but he does know them and would be willing to exploit them. Trying to rebuild the empire without their help, could be done, but it would be difficult, drag on for years, and even then the order they would get would be no more stable than what the old empire had

Its True the baron has not openly spoken himself, but that's because no one is supposed to know he's in there; but Thrope does know which is why he's willing to drop the subterfuge and discuss the issue openly with her. However that being said, Klaus may indeed believe thorpe to be the better choice between her and seffie. While Seffie could indeed help restore the empire and bring back stability, he family can be a dangerous wild card. Thrope would be a respectable match, but since she's merely a famous adventurer she wouldn't be in a position to try and take power from Gil the way the storm king family might try. Gil could even use the connection to england to borrow some power from Albia to restore the empire. Though Gil might still need to be wary about not allowing albia too much influence... So both matches have their plus side, with Seffie being a quick way to restore the empire and bring order, while Thorpe would be a more stable match for Gil himself. And considering the Baron took over Europa by force in the past and that he cares deeply for Gil, I think he would prefer the more stable option.
    Last edited by slayerx; 2019-02-19 at 02:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #279

You're forgetting Trelawney Thorpe isn't a free agent. She's the servant of a queen who brooks no dissension, possibly to the point of mind control. Marrying Gil to her means the very real chance of handing the Wulfenbach Empire to Albia, especially if she uses her tricks on her new subject.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    If Seffie is going in on a Boyfriend Rescue mission this is going to be interesting. I think Albia's plans may have hit a few more rocks than intended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    So maybe this isn’t a rescue mission but wanting to join the party?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-02-19 at 05:49 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Marrying Gil to her means the very real chance of handing the Wulfenbach Empire to Albia, especially if she uses her tricks on her new subject.
    If Albia wanted the empire she could have seized it at any point during the Long War or during the interregnum between the end of the First Other War and Klaus's return.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    You're forgetting Trelawney Thorpe isn't a free agent. She's the servant of a queen who brooks no dissension, possibly to the point of mind control. Marrying Gil to her means the very real chance of handing the Wulfenbach Empire to Albia, especially if she uses her tricks on her new subject.
    I'm not forgetting. Thing is Thorpe doesn't have any noble clout in europa that would allow her to hold the empire on her own. The 50 families would have even LESS reason to follow her lead than they do Gil, and Gil has to keep them in line by force. Within the empire Gil would be the ruler and she would essentially just be Gil's very famous and charismatic wife. If she tried to usurp gil, the 50 families and the sparks would rebel and empire would likely just fall apart all over again. Its a very risky gamble, which is why she seems like the safer option for Gil... In contrast, Seffie comes from a family with a A LOT of royal clout and a long history of backstabbing. If Seffie's family were to get rid of Gil, he could be replaced by a storm king and Empire would be more likely to stay together since the storm crown still gets some respect.

Frankly i think Albia giving Thrope to Gil isn't about Albia taking over the empire, but merely about separating Gil from Agatha and creating blood ties that will prevent the empire from ever becoming a threat to england.

13. - Top - End - #283

First, 'new subject' perforce must refer to Gil, since Thorpe is already a subject and has been one since birth.

Second, you are really over-estimating the strength of family bonds in keeping the peace. Read up on Henry II and Henry the Young King. Or watch The Lion in Winter, which is set just after that finished playing out.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Or just play some Crusader Kings II. You'll learn all about marrying for the "right" reasons

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

I want a Girl Genius ck 2 mod...
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

16. - Top - End - #286

PirateCaptain

Is it just me, or has the dialogue changed on this page? Also, the new colours show us that Seffie's in disguise, so this is almost certainly a covert journey.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, Panel 5 is very different. The Castle didn't know Tarvek was a Sturmvoraus at first - it only wanted to kill him after he admitted to being one, there was something about a family resemblance instead.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Yeah, Panel 5 is very different. The Castle didn't know Tarvek was a Sturmvoraus at first - it only wanted to kill him after he admitted to being one, there was something about a family resemblance instead.
    Kaja cops to it in the commentary below that page. Pity we didn't catch it first.

Also, the color for the smuggling setup... I dunno. When I first saw that page, I thought it was Zola in the hood with the funky hair cowlick or whatever, and now that there's a dye job involved for the hooded person, I now think it's Zola pretending to be Seffie. Whether it's of her own accord or under direction from Gramma Sturmvoraus or from ZoLucretia, I can't say.

Yes, it's a tinfoil hat idea.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I did miss that commentary, and suspected it was something of the sort due to a continuity snarl.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    Kaja cops to it in the commentary below that page. Pity we didn't catch it first.

Also, the color for the smuggling setup... I dunno. When I first saw that page, I thought it was Zola in the hood with the funky hair cowlick or whatever, and now that there's a dye job involved for the hooded person, I now think it's Zola pretending to be Seffie. Whether it's of her own accord or under direction from Gramma Sturmvoraus or from ZoLucretia, I can't say.

Yes, it's a tinfoil hat idea.
    Its seffie; that funky hair cowlick is all her. The fact that she's paying a fortune and does not want ANY kind of record for her travel suggests that she wants a REAL illegal smuggling into england, as opposed to Tarvek who was legally smuggled. The dye job on her hair backs this up since it will help make her difficult to recognize. She does not want Albia to know she is coming. She's taking some serious risks here, and i really don't think her grandmother would ever allow her to do this

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Under the Dome.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is it me, or does the entity on the right that we can fully see, look familiar? The one that is partially off panel on the right looks like it could be Nyarlathotep. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Oh, sorry. Didn't mean for that to slip out.

As for what's under the sheet, I am guessing it's a Queen Mirror.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

22. - Top - End - #292

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Its seffie; that funky hair cowlick is all her. The fact that she's paying a fortune and does not want ANY kind of record for her travel suggests that she wants a REAL illegal smuggling into england, as opposed to Tarvek who was legally smuggled. The dye job on her hair backs this up since it will help make her difficult to recognize. She does not want Albia to know she is coming. She's taking some serious risks here, and i really don't think her grandmother would ever allow her to do this
    Unless Grandmother is one of the other two taking the trip. (Unlikely but not impossible.)

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    My first thought after looking at this page was "where did the geisterdamen take the hive engines from Sturmhalten (or Balan's Gap. I think the town is the latter and country the former?) But I think you're right that it is a QM. Either that or they just found Prende's lamp. Also love how Dimo perches in this scene.

Did not notice the Time Demon on the right. Good eye if it is one. Do they have a name yet?
    I reserved the right to be wrong. I just try not to exercise it.

Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show
    My first thought after looking at this page was "where did the geisterdamen take the hive engines from Sturmhalten (or Balan's Gap. I think the town is the latter and country the former?) But I think you're right that it is a QM. Either that or they just found Prende's lamp. Also love how Dimo perches in this scene.

Did not notice the Time Demon on the right. Good eye if it is one. Do they have a name yet?
    Sturmahlten's the city, Balan's Gap is the mountain pass in which is is located. As to the creature from the 4th (at least) dimension, I've just been calling it "The Big Dreen", but that's probably a bad name since we don't know for certain that they're even connected.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    The Lamp is another good possibility. Or may it's both. I noticed that even the Jaegers seem to be put off by what's going on below. That is a VERY bad sign.

26. - Top - End - #296

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Sturmahlten's the city, Balan's Gap is the mountain pass in which is is located. As to the creature from the 4th (at least) dimension, I've just been calling it "The Big Dreen", but that's probably a bad name since we don't know for certain that they're even connected.
    Over on the Girl Genius Wiki it's been labelled as a Hideous Extradimensional Being, after a comment about such entities in this strip.

27. - Top - End - #297

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Over on the Girl Genius Wiki it's been labelled as a Hideous Extradimensional Being, after a comment about such entities in this strip.
    Another misleading title. The rites have been performed, so this couldn't be the Hideous Extradimensional Being that would Ravish Our World. Also, make a note of that for XXXenophile: Girl Genius edition.

28. - Top - End - #298

Beholder

I wonder if there is also a statue wearing a Conial Hat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

New comic.

Zeetha's being sneaky.

For all her reputation, there seems to be an awful lot taking place right under Albia's nose.

30. - Top - End - #300

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    New comic.

Zeetha's being sneaky.

For all her reputation, there seems to be an awful lot taking place right under Albia's nose.
    Yeah, tho it's still possible that she's letting all this happen as part of a plan to lure Agatha into permanently staying.