New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXV: It needs work! BUT THE CONCEPT IS SOUND!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    A little verisimilitude-breaking for me.
    First panel: This place is dangerous and trying to kill us!
    Last panel: Whaaaaaaat? People I know and care about (who are here where everything is trying to kill us) might die? Whaaaaa???
    Does Tarvek know that Violetta (and he) are main characters, and thus shouldn't just die? No. He knows that the two of them are adventurers in an extremely dangerous place. I get being upset. Maybe even surprised that he is so upset. Surprised in general? Shouldn't be.
    There is a difference between "Its dangerous" and "Oh btw your cousin died" He has been facing dangerous for all his life in one form or another so tarvek is kinda used to it. The one family member he actually likes dying is a far less common experience.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Does Tarvek know that Violetta (and he) are main characters, and thus shouldn't just die?
    Actually, I'm not so sure about that anymore. After all, this is a universe in which people can be brought back from the dead.

Punch & Judy were completely reassembled. The Baron was shown cloning Olga. Heck even Agatha, Gil, & Tarvek all technically died during the whole chromatic disease ordeal.

I'm still 90% sure Violetta is still alive. But there is that possibility...

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post
    Actually, I'm not so sure about that anymore. After all, this is a universe in which people can be brought back from the dead.

Punch & Judy were completely reassembled. The Baron was shown cloning Olga. Heck even Agatha, Gil, & Tarvek all technically died during the whole chromatic disease ordeal.

I'm still 90% sure Violetta is still alive. But there is that possibility...
    I'm more finding disbelief with his disbelief that one of his close circle could die in the first place, regardless of people coming back. People he knows and are interacting with on a regular basis are constantly in dangerous situations. Almost all of them are built such that a bullet between the eyes or claw across the throat will kill them (people like Higgs being kind of like 'oh, ho-hum, this monster isn't that threatening, I'll not take it too seriously and let is smack me around a bit.' is itself a little odd, as kind of supposed to be an exception, because he's supposed to be near-invulnerable, like Othar).

It's a little like a WWI trench warfare narrative. Major Jones might come back to the line and find out the Corporal Froofram bit the dust in the last artillery bombardment. Sure, Froofram might have been like a son to him. He could be mad. It could lead him to the pits of despair, heights of anguish, or anything in-between. But surprised? I guess I'm talking myself out of it, because now I'm picturing Major Jones blue-screen-of-deathing and mumbling to himself 'I never really imagined, amongst all this carnage, that you'd be the one to go...' Okay, that's kind of catchy. So maybe it's realistic irrationality.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Plus, Smoke Knight. I can imagine Tarvek conceiving a fight Violetta couldn't win, but something capable of preventing her from running away under stealth if she was outmatched? His family practically mythologizes the skill of their pet assassins, and she's the best of them he's ever known. It's not just the loss of his best friend for who knows how long, but specifically the overthrow of a facet of his worldview he's never really had challenged (leaving aside the assorted smoke knights who the protagonists have defeated).

5. - Top - End - #185

You're forgetting Violetta is a Spark Knight who survived Castle Heterodyne. That definitely raises expectations.

edit: also, there's Krosp's ice cold dismissal, which is shocking for someone who provides the second most important feature of a cat's life (Food Lady beats Comfy Lap every time).
    Last edited by Rogar Demonblud; 2019-02-08 at 11:19 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Krosp is making some big assumptions here. She could have been captured for one.
    It's a little like a WWI trench warfare narrative. Major Jones might come back to the line and find out the Corporal Froofram bit the dust in the last artillery bombardment. Sure, Froofram might have been like a son to him. He could be mad. It could lead him to the pits of despair, heights of anguish, or anything in-between. But surprised?
    The thing is in WWI narratives (and you know the real deal) people weren't just in constant danger of dying. people constantly died. Our motly band of heroes however has a ridiculously high survival rate. It kind of lower expectations of them dying. Plus his facial expression in the last panel reads less as surprise and more as shock/grief to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Plus, Smoke Knight. I can imagine Tarvek conceiving a fight Violetta couldn't win, but something capable of preventing her from running away under stealth if she was outmatched? His family practically mythologizes the skill of their pet assassins, and she's the best of them he's ever known. It's not just the loss of his best friend for who knows how long, but specifically the overthrow of a facet of his worldview he's never really had challenged (leaving aside the assorted smoke knights who the protagonists have defeated).
    Wouldn't that be Veilchen or Martellus' assassin from the dirigble? Violetta isn't that good a Smoke Knight even if she does not give herself enough credit.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-02-08 at 11:28 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #187

I'm more finding disbelief with his disbelief that one of his close circle could die in the first place, regardless of people coming back. People he knows and are interacting with on a regular basis are constantly in dangerous situations. Almost all of them are built such that a bullet between the eyes or claw across the throat will kill them (people like Higgs being kind of like 'oh, ho-hum, this monster isn't that threatening, I'll not take it too seriously and let is smack me around a bit.' is itself a little odd, as kind of supposed to be an exception, because he's supposed to be near-invulnerable, like Othar).

It's a little like a WWI trench warfare narrative. Major Jones might come back to the line and find out the Corporal Froofram bit the dust in the last artillery bombardment. Sure, Froofram might have been like a son to him. He could be mad. It could lead him to the pits of despair, heights of anguish, or anything in-between. But surprised? I guess I'm talking myself out of it, because now I'm picturing Major Jones blue-screen-of-deathing and mumbling to himself 'I never really imagined, amongst all this carnage, that you'd be the one to go...' Okay, that's kind of catchy. So maybe it's realistic irrationality.
    But again, tarvek and violetta have lived their entire life as part of a family where backstabbery and assassination are such normal parts of life that they train themselves to be smoke knights just to survive family reunions. They have been in life threatening danger forever, and up till now, have survived. Lets take your WW1 narrative. Now make WW1 be twenty five years of combat. Twenty five years your major has been working alongside the corporal. Twenty five years of not dying. Only to be told "Yep, he died" Thats going to be a shock.
    Last edited by Traab; 2019-02-08 at 12:03 PM.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #188
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    So Krosp knows Higgs is a Jager?
    At first I thought the same thing, maybe Krosp had "smelled" him.
    But Dimo came to give him the instructions from Agatha and probably is still near, so Krosp may simply refer to Maxim and Oggie.

9. - Top - End - #189

Besides, higgs is right there with tarvek. That doesnt preclude him knowing higgs is a jaeger, but I have to think with all the sparky detection and constructs and such that higgs has had to hide his scent before. I mean heck, we have weasels sniffing out revenants as a primary plot point right now.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Besides, higgs is right there with tarvek. That doesnt preclude him knowing higgs is a jaeger, but I have to think with all the sparky detection and constructs and such that higgs has had to hide his scent before. I mean heck, we have weasels sniffing out revenants as a primary plot point right now.
    While I agree it is likely he had masked his scent (or lost it as one of his "gifts"), I don't imagine anyone would ever think detecting jaegers by smell is neccessary - most people would assume they're kinda obvious at a glance (much like they thought about revenants for a very long time).
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

11. - Top - End - #191
    Barbarian in the Playground

A little verisimilitude-breaking for me.
    First panel: This place is dangerous and trying to kill us!
    Last panel: Whaaaaaaat? People I know and care about (who are here where everything is trying to kill us) might die? Whaaaaa???
    Does Tarvek know that Violetta (and he) are main characters, and thus shouldn't just die? No. He knows that the two of them are adventurers in an extremely dangerous place. I get being upset. Maybe even surprised that he is so upset. Surprised in general? Shouldn't be.
    I go to a lot of death scenes to deal with victims. People routinely freak out in surprise even when their loved one has been circling the drain for years.

Violetta is the closest thing to real family ( friend) that he has.

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock View Post

But Dimo came to give him the instructions from Agatha and probably is still near, so Krosp may simply refer to Maxim and Oggie.
    I'm going with this.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

I took this comic as a way to show how Krosp is basically a cat by running the joke that cats have limited amounts of caring.

Tarvek is shocked to demonstrate how callous Krosp is. True, Violetta is the only family member who looked out for him. If he got word Martellus died suddenly, Tarvek would say "Good Riddance". If Grandma died, he would say, "Huh? I guess the years finally caught up with her. My family will miss her". If Steffi buys it, it would be " Huh? Well, she wasn't as bad as most; I guess that's what cost her in the end."

Earlier Krosp was a contributing member of the party , even willing to go down a sewer to help. Now that he has an army and is independent, his caring levels have dropped. He loves Papa Dim, is somewhat fond of the Lady Who Fed Him, but not enough to remember her name & Comfy Lap Lady is just a replacible human.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

14. - Top - End - #194

Yup, Krosp is acting like a cat.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    Yup, Krosp is acting like a cat.
    More than that, I think it also showcases his ruthlessness, and how he views Agatha's entourage as expendable. Only the Mistress is indispensible, because she's the One.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Krosk is being Pragmatic Cat.

Or Violetta got in touch with him, let him know she's still alive but in deep cover, and not to tell anybody. So he's not.

(It is also possible the cultists need a human sacrifice to summon their creature, and they've got Violetta. That would seem pretty stupid; but then, they appear to be.)

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    More than that, I think it also showcases his ruthlessness, and how he views Agatha's entourage as expendable. Only the Mistress is indispensible, because she's the One.
    Agatha is his only real subject. Can't be a king without subjects...

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Krosk is being Pragmatic Cat.

Or Violetta got in touch with him, let him know she's still alive but in deep cover, and not to tell anybody. So he's not.

(It is also possible the cultists need a human sacrifice to summon their creature, and they've got Violetta. That would seem pretty stupid; but then, they appear to be.)

Agatha is his only real subject. Can't be a king without subjects...
    He has the bears now.
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #198

That's an army, not subjects. An army is people you get killed for your glory. Subjects are people you tax for your power.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    That's an army, not subjects. An army is people you get killed for your glory. Subjects are people you tax for your power.
    What do you think an army is made of? And no the bears aren’t mercenaries.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post

Tarvek is shocked to demonstrate how callous Krosp is.
    Yeah, that's how I read it. He's not shocked that a member of the party might have died, he's shocked at how dismissive of it Krosp is.

21. - Top - End - #201

Papa > Agatha

22. - Top - End - #202

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    Papa > Agatha
    If it was that simple Krosp would have left in the sub with Papa already.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

If it was that simple Krosp would have left in the sub with Papa already.
    Its not like Papa isnt in a relative high degree of safety.
    So it can easily be that simply. Just because he cares more for Papa, does not mean he does not also still care for Agatha.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

24. - Top - End - #204

BlueWizardGirl

Trying to get Agatha to do what you want, when she's up and going, is like herding cats. Krosp is a cat. He gets it and isn't even going to try.
    Last edited by Ellen; 2019-02-10 at 05:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205

BlueWizardGirl

Going to double post since these are on different comics and were done hours apart:

I like how Tarvek deals with grief, though it seems wrong to be enjoying it.

Higgs is always laid back (well, almost always) but he seems pretty calm given his reactions to the near deaths of people he cares about. After all, he's also been pretty good at empathy for a Jaeger. Maybe he understands what Tarvek needs, right now--or maybe he's going to let Tarvek calm down before giving his opinion of Krosp's analysis.

At least , I'm hoping he'll point out why Krosp might be wrong.
    Last edited by Ellen; 2019-02-11 at 12:23 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206

Yeah, I think that comes under the heading of work therapy.

27. - Top - End - #207

Beholder

Hmm. This might be the first time Travek has to deal with actual loss of a person he cares about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

28. - Top - End - #208

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Hmm. This might be the first time Travek has to deal with actual loss of a person he cares about.
    What about Anveka?

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Didn't that gun use to need time to reload? Is it powered by anger, or what?
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #210

I think this is going to cause problems, like tarvek may go a bit out of control and do something he shouldnt. I mean, we already know gil is half jaeger when he gets upset but we havent seen tarvek truly lose control except against zola.