New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1153 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aveline View Post
    There is a common belief that if you pursue someone enough, they will relent. Don't get me wrong, we share a boat - but something like half the "how we got married" stories I've heard, in fiction and in life, are about reacting to "they don't love you" by penning in the word "...yet."

So, It can really warm my heart to see someone's perpetual rejection in a story such as this, as long as they stay rejected throughout the story.
    I could tell a very very long story here

However back on oots, how much strong do you think Sigdi is? She must be very high level to say that to a powerfull cleric and mean it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    New suggestion: the MitD is an Italian Protean. Mamma mia!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Eyyy, I'm-a shiftin' da shapes and-a helping my amico Signore Stiffliano escape! Easyducio! Bada bing!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I wonder if that threat was in part a comeback against Hilgya's passive-aggressive commentary on Sigdi's parenting skills (claiming she dropped Durkon repeatedly).

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Wow! Sigdi punched someone's tooth out just for proposing! I never realized she was Evil!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesy View Post
    I could tell a very very long story here

However back on oots, how much strong do you think Sigdi is? She must be very high level to say that to a powerfull cleric and mean it....
    You don't need to be high level to coup-des-gras someone.

Edit: Alternatively, Hilgya is a PC in an evil campaign and Sidgi acquired the status of 'personal rival'.
    Last edited by MReav; 2019-01-25 at 11:33 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nocoolnamejim View Post
    'Ma rollin' a natural 20 on 'er intimidation check.
    Pretty sure Intimidation is both a fighter skill and a mom skill, might not have needed a 20.
    Remember: It doesn't matter if you win or lose - as long as you look really cool doing it!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, Rich, that was great! I love Hilgya's expression at Sigdi's casual defense of her son! Haley's right; Sigdi's awesome!

Thanks!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

I do not believe Sigdi will be upset that Hilgya took Kudzu into battle. Sigdi's a warrior. I bet she even took Durkon into battle once or twice when the circumstances were bad. The best place for Kudzu to be is in his mom's arms.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

Grandma Sigdi does "scorn" type damage
    "Stats are today, style is forever"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monomer View Post
    She left Kudzu with one of the highest level clerics in the vicinity, in a town for all they know is overrun by vampires. Probably the safest place he could possibly be.
    Oh, my if only there was a temple the vampires couldn't get in earlier with people in it that could take care of a baby. But really what are the odds of that?
    Also they know the town isn't overrun with vampires because the bad guys can only have so many quick-raise spells prepared and they need to actually kill people to get vampires.
    Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    coup-des-gras someone.
    I both admire and hate you for that joke. Well done.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MartianInvader View Post
    Wow! Sigdi punched someone's tooth out just for proposing! I never realized she was Evil!
    Since when do you have to be evil to punch someone once?
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    Since when do you have to be evil to punch someone once?
    Punching someone once....killing by burning someone alive...

Basically the same degree of badness am I right? :-)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe that's what's meant by speaking softly and carrying a big stick.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Sidgi remains the best parent, and, by far, best grandparent, we've seen so far.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    I do not believe Sigdi will be upset that Hilgya took Kudzu into battle. Sigdi's a warrior. I bet she even took Durkon into battle once or twice when the circumstances were bad. The best place for Kudzu to be is in his mom's arms.
    As a warrior, Sigdi knows the battlefield is no place for a non-combattant. Ans no she never took Durkon into battle because she was retired after losing her arm, before he was born, and even if she hadn't I'd bet diamonds against pebbles that she would have left Durkon's at one of her friends'.
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

She left Kudzu with one of the highest level clerics in the vicinity, in a town for all they know is overrun by vampires. Probably the safest place he could possibly be.
    Until that cleric willingly went into battle against said vampires with the baby strapped to her chest.

If you still think that's the safest place for a baby, I have one hell of a lot of bridges to sell you.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-01-25 at 11:46 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    The issue isn’t that she didn’t have the right to say no. It’s that she didn’t have the right to vent her toxic femininity by committing violence on someone who literally did nothing but apologize and then make a heartfelt if misguided proposal. Failing to read the room isn’t a crime. Murder is.
    The way I see it there were two issues. One issue is that Durkon thought he was doing the right thing by proposing, and he wasn't. Which is something I'm glad Sigdi made Durkon understand. The main character learned something

The other issue is Hilgya's evil action, which was also called out by Sigdi, which I am also glad about, as I mentioned. The secondary character was warned and will not hurt Durkon again.

Both issues were handled at the best of Sigdi's capabilities, and I'm glad it was made clear that Hilgya's "punishment" (or promise of a punishment) wasn't for rejecting the proposal, but for hurting Durkon. For a comic meant to be read by us the distinction is very important.

I'm not sure toxic femininity is a thing. Benevolent sexism (Durkon making sure Hilgya isn't "dishonored" by lack of marriage) is. Which like, it's fine that Durkon did that, he was acting at the best of his knowledge and acording to societal standards, but I'm glad Sigdi corrected him
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's like, a secret to everybody or whatever.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'm still not cool with Hilgya but this is a good enough comeuppance for now.

Okay, drama over, let's get back to the unimportant stuff - like vampires trying to enslave the council so they can end the world.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post

Didn't know I made one. I just was saying I wouldn't put it past Sigdi to stalk and murder Hilgya in her sleep if she messed with Durkon again.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Oh, my if only there was a temple the vampires couldn't get in earlier with people in it that could take care of a baby. But really what are the odds of that?
    Also they know the town isn't overrun with vampires because the bad guys can only have so many quick-raise spells prepared and they need to actually kill people to get vampires.

If all you're relying on is a passive defense, you can reasonably assume that they would be able to get through sooner or later, and since there is no one in the temple that could defend against a vampire, leaving him there is not definitely safer than keeping him with a high-powered cleric.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Colossus in the Playground

This reminds me a lot of O-Chul's comment to Belkar:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html

and Bandana's comment to Andi:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1079.html

comboing forgiveness of sorts, with a well-pointed threat.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Sigdi has Frightful Presence, huh? I thought only dragons get that.
    Dragons and mother-in-laws (Yeah, I know they aren't married, but mother of the father is close enough).

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Didn't know I made one. I just was saying I wouldn't put it past Sigdi to stalk and murder Hilgya in her sleep if she messed with Durkon again.
    Oh. Since you are from Québec I assumed you were poking fun at how english speakers pronounce "coup-de-grâce" as "coup de(s) graisse(s)".

I don't think Sigdi would murder someone in their sleep, really.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-01-25 at 11:53 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

All I can say is that this strip is full of win. And yes, Grandma is super-cool.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

Been a while since I really got a laugh out of an OOTS but this one sure did it.
    Minister of sarcasm and pragmatism of the Grayview fanclub.

No, none of us were altering the unimutable laws of physics. That would be wrong.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

If all you're relying on is a passive defense, you can reasonably assume that they would be able to get through sooner or later, and since there is no one in the temple that could defend against a vampire, leaving him there is not definitely safer than keeping him with a high-powered cleric.
    Yes, the front line of battle againzt those same vampires immediately is much safer for a toddler.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

So Hilgya didn't harm Sigdi and they both reached an... Understanding.

Seems cool. Guess Kudzu will get to have both parents and a granny in his life, after all.

An awesome granny.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Verappo View Post
    This is all fair.
    I'm glad Sigdi didn't side with Durkon completely in backing up the marriage proposal. Hilgya reserves the right to choose, especially since the first time around she couldn't. This is a good step forward for Durkon developing those people skills he'll need to approach Redcloak.

And still Sigdi made sure to estabilish that the evil act itself wouldn't be repeated, so that's fair too. I'm glad the comic found a way to reconcile Hilgya's refusal of the proposal and the implications of her alignment (and actions) so elegantly
    Honestly yes.

Hildya had every right to be angry with how Durkon handled the situation, he didn't have tact and was being insensitive and awkward even though I don't think that was his intent. Her response though was way overblown. Hitting him in response or similar is tolerable, but full blown murder is way too far.

I feel like this is a good resolution. Hilgya doesn't get a pass, but Sigdi makes it clear to Durkon that he shouldn't try to press the issue.

Also, Sigdi is easily one of my favorite characters. She is awesome.
    (Currently afk halfway across the country.)

Attempting Homebrew:
    Requip Knight

28. - Top - End - #88
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

While I agree that a passive defence won't hold up in the long run technically they did have an active defence in the form of the OotS&co. If the temple came under attack to the point where its defences could actually be breached the OotS had most likely already failed which would also mean Hilgya had already failed which would mean the child strapped to her chest would already have ended up in the category of 'casualties of war'.

EDIT: to support this, passive defences tend to mostly be a problem over long periods of time. In this case long period of time isn't much of an issue since the fate of the world will already have been decided at that point.
    Last edited by Worldsong; 2019-01-25 at 12:12 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Colossus in the Playground

Considering "leaving him there" somehow resulted in him being literally used as a shield by the head vampire, I think there may be something wrong with the premise.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, yes the vampires that gave up after thirty second would surely get through eventually. Also, the rest of the Clergy will get back to the temple in a few hours to begin their work day. Also also they plan on blowing up hte world, not forcing doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Yes, the front line of battle againzt those same vampires immediately is much safer for a toddler.
    You'd think this would be obvious and yet.
    Forum Wisdom