New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Anthem - PrEAying it Doesn't Suck

Things look promising on the sales front.

Ultimately, every single one of these live service looter games can be made phenomenal, so long as the suits can be kept from sharpening their axe until the devs have the chance to make it so. If they get too antsy too soon, we end up with Battleborn or Evolve - though it's also interesting that both of those games ended up going F2P and getting much better because of it, but it was too late by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    To avoid derailing the thread once we've finally got it back on track again:

Spoiler: Warframe comments
    Show

Your first and fourth points (tutorial and microtransactions) I would agree with wholeheartedly.

Your second and third points are game mechanics which, either coincidentally or intentionally, make sense within the lore and I'm happy with the way it's done;

1) the Eastern martial arts theme of the Tenno culture would make sense that the more things they master, the higher their mastery rank.
    I don't blame you for disliking the Mastery Rank system though - I can understand why it would be frustrating to play with weapons that you don't find fun, particularly if you're not high MR and don't have good mods. Even so, if you bring one decent weapon or frame on the right mission, the new weapon/frame can be levelled up passively to rank 30 in a single run.

2) The Lotus really doesn't want you to find out about your past or what she really is, so until the matter is forced in the Natah and The Second Dream quest, I can understand why the story is so well hidden. That said, there's a lot of lore that's hidden or out of reach in old events (for example the whole mess that is Alad V's back story and why Tyl Regor hates you so much), that could be re-done or otherwise made available to make the story progression much better.

Your last point on keeping Javelins well equipped is the only one I would partially disagree with. In the Warframe early game, getting enough mods to be fully tooled up is an issue I agree with, but once you've got that full set of mods upgraded, the mods are pretty much universal between all the warframes and within each weapon class.
    As a not very good example, my Mesa Prime finished cooking today - for the cost of only 1 reactor, I had 70 capacity on her with fully levelled mods.
    I'm sure WF Mastery is all quite thematic and philosophical and all that, but ultimately I still find it annoying. If I like my Rhino/Hek combination, I should be able to unlock basically everything else while playing it, even if it takes longer.

As for story - it's WF's choice if they want to bury the lede. I'm just going back to the new player experience and saying there are probably more narrative-minded players out there who would be really interested in that stuff, if it was clearer that it was out there to be worked towards.

As a counterpoint, in approximately 3 years time, Anthem will be replaced by its sequel and given how the Destiny to Destiny 2 debacle went, the changeover isn't always smooth.

I'd be interesting to see how the Division 2 takes over from the Division later on this year.
    Well, Destiny needed a sequel in the first place because they hadn't gone cross-platform from the beginning. I can't speak to why the Division is doing it, but I'm of the opinion that the Warframe/WoW model of "just make your one game progressively better" seems to be the superior way to go. They'll want something for the blogosphere to announce and say "it's good now, come back!" but you don't actually need a sequel for that - Diablo Loot 2.0 didn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    No, but I did play Diablo 3 for a while, and it was pretty damn tedious.
    Do you like this genre at all? Honest question and one worth asking.

Quote Originally Posted by ngilop View Post
    I have a question concerning item enhancements.

There are a few different symbols in front of the enhancements that I cannot find an explanation for at all.

Something that I can say is one thing I absolutely hate about this game so far.. ( I just finished it actually) The complete lack of information on so many things.

For an example I have a armor component enhancement that gives me +5% weapon damage with a gear symbol in front of it, while my weapon gives me +10% weapon damage with a person symbol in front of it. What exactly is the difference if indeed there even is one.
    Gear symbol = only applies to that item. So if you get +5% damage with a gear symbol on your Seeker Missile, then your Seeker Missile will do 5% more damage.

Person symbol (it's a javelin) = applies to your whole character. So if you get +5% damage with a javelin symbol on your Seeker Missile, then all your moves will do more damage.

I agree the game should explain that stuff better, but ultimately it doesn't matter - if you're supremely lucky with drops at this point or complete the titanic grinds necessary to craft and recraft all your masterworks, you can optimize and min-max to make GM2 reasonably quick, but GM1 is going to be the "sweet spot" for the vast majority for a long while, with GM2 being playable but too slow to be inefficient, and GM3 just being a slog until we get better loot as a whole.

I've Masterworked my main (Ranger) just by sticking to GM1 and I don't really have a reason to go higher just yet. I want to eventually, but need a bit more of a leg-up from the game itself at this point first.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Warning: running Anthem on your PS4 can lead to crashes, some bricking the console apparently: Source (Kotaku).
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Warning: running Anthem on your PS4 can lead to crashes, some bricking the console apparently: Source (Kotaku).
    Wow. I don't think I've ever seen that before. A game so buggy it actually bricks a console? That's amazing. I was thinking about picking this up, but now I definitely won't be.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Wow. I don't think I've ever seen that before. A game so buggy it actually bricks a console? That's amazing. I was thinking about picking this up, but now I definitely won't be.
    There's an update on the story - Anthem 'just' causes significant software issues that can be fixed by restarting the console in safe mode (hold down the power button until you hear two beeps) and rebuilding the database.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Banned

There's an update on the story - Anthem 'just' causes significant software issues that can be fixed by restarting the console in safe mode (hold down the power button until you hear two beeps) and rebuilding the database.
    There's a ton of posts on Reddit about Anthem bricking consoles to the point where they won't even turn back on afterwards.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

There's a ton of posts on Reddit about Anthem bricking consoles to the point where they won't even turn back on afterwards.
    Looking on Reddit and other tech forums, there's also a number of posts saying that it's something else, Anthem was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

If I had to hazard a guess, for a small number of people, the increased load of current games has finally caused the thermal paste on the heatsinks to degrade such that the overheat emergency trigger tripped, shutting down the console and now they won't turn back on as the CPU/GPU overheat almost instantly. For a large number of people, it's Anthem crashing so badly, it corrupts the console's OS.

In my experience, the average PS4 owner generally isn't very tech savvy, so whether it's actually bricked (hardware/software fault that renders their console unusable without repair) or whether it can be easily fixed (eg by booting into safe mode and running the equivalent of chkdsk) is hard to tell just from their forum post.

Either way, I agree it's probably best to avoid the game until EA/Bioware have resolved this particular issue.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2019-03-05 at 07:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

Honestly it really sounds like its a heat issue on the PS4. There are a lot of comments about how loud the system gets while playing the game so the fans seem to be working full bore just to keep the system cool. If a person happens to have their system in a game cabinet or somewhere where there's poor airflow the system probably overheats and shuts itself down to try and protect itself from damage.

Could it be shoddy programming on Biowares part thats causing a bug? sure, but it's not like its using a new game engine and you'd think Sony certification would of caught it since its there to try and make sure games don't brick their consoles.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Banned

I'm sorry, but it's ridiculous to point at the PS4 as the issue when literally hundreds of other games work just fine on it and it's literally only Anthem that's bricking them. You might have a point if there were reports of PS4s were failing all over the place running other games, but since it's literally just Anthem that's causing this....I'm just not capable of the mental gymnastics required here to place the blame on the console instead of the developer.

Even if the only issue is that Anthem is so poorly optimized it's making systems overheat...that's still Bioware's/EA's fault.

Also, while I'm all for making ourselves feel superior by looking down on the "average person" I'm pretty sure even the lowliest of mouth breathers can tell whether or not their console is completely dead and not turning on at all. Even if you're right and people are just too stupid to fix their PS4s after Anthem breaks them....It's still not acceptable that Anthem is breaking them in the first place.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

While I haven't had the issue with Anthem itself I have had an issue in the past where a game has either frozen or overheated the system meaning I had to shut it down via removal of the power cable for the first or it wouldn't turn it back on for the second and the fix was exactly what the anthem devs have said. Boot it in safe mode which then lets it boot up normally so it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of the issue, although it being on such a large scale is certainly unusual.

I use a bog standard 1st gen PS4 if anyone cares.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Firbolg in the Playground

I remember a Horror Story from Tech Support post that someone made where a game developer found a particular bug with a particular game where if you saved the game after doing something specific, it'd overwrite something important on the Xbox 360, effectively bricking the console. Unfortunately, fixing it required the entire game to change how it saved data, and the game was supposed to be released in like a week. Rather than fixing the game, they fired the developer. From what I understood, it wasn't a triple-A game in the first place, but he didn't give specifics to avoid any major legal issues.

My point is, sometimes developers screw up the platform, and sometimes they release them despite the issues, in the hopes they can fix them later.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-03-06 at 06:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sorry, but it's ridiculous to point at the PS4 as the issue when literally hundreds of other games work just fine on it and it's literally only Anthem that's bricking them.
    I've had Assassin's Creed Odyssey soft lock my PS4 twice (had to turn off and turn back on again) and hard lock it twice (had to turn the power off at the socket as the power off button wasn't responding) with one of those incidents requiring a database rebuild. I've lost count of the times where it turned into a 1 fps slideshow, causing me to abort the current quest/location so I could save and restart the console.

It's not just the PS4, it's the PS4 in conjunction with an increasing number of games that are becoming more taxing on the the PS4's aging hardware. As I mentioned earlier, in my opinion Anthem is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    I remember a Horror Story from Tech Support post that someone made where a game developer found a particular bug with a particular game where if you saved the game after doing something specific, it'd overwrite something important on the Xbox 360, effectively bricking the game. Unfortunately, fixing it required the entire game to change how it saved data, and the game was supposed to be released in like a week. Rather than fixing the game, they fired the developer. From what I understood, it wasn't a triple-A game in the first place, but he didn't give specifics to avoid any major legal issues.

My point is, sometimes developers screw up the platform, and sometimes they release them despite the issues, in the hopes they can fix them later.
    There's CCP Games infamous boot.ini patch for Eve Online which software bricked PCs (it overwrote a critical start up file), requiring a restoration of the PC with a boot disk or full re-installation of the OS in some cases.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood on the Xbox 360 had one for me, where you could access a fast travel spot back to an earlier location, only that early location was in an out-of-bounds region, which caused a desync game over. Unfortunately, the game autosaves just after fast travelling, so I was stuck in an infinite desync loop, which meant that I lost that whole game and had to restart from scratch.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2019-03-06 at 06:08 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132

My take - if you don't feel Anthem is safe for your PS4, by all means don't play it until we know more about the issue. That's perfectly reasonable and there's no need for a congressional hearing/Spanish Inquisition over it. Given that I play on PC, I personally couldn't care less, but any level of dev attention to the game is a good thing from where I'm sitting.

Speaking of which, there's a patch coming out on Tuesday that supposedly has new content in addition to the next round of fixes, so I'm looking forward to that. It's unclear exactly what, but I'd assume it's something from the March roadmap they posted earlier.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Given that I play on PC, I personally couldn't care less, but any level of dev attention to the game is a good thing from where I'm sitting.
    I think it's because I primarily play on PC that I take buggy games that crash as a given, so when a game crashes on console, I just shrug, restart the game and fix the console as required. I have no expectations of a game's reliability, whereas someone raised on console gaming would have higher standards than me.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Banned

I've had Assassin's Creed Odyssey soft lock my PS4 twice (had to turn off and turn back on again) and hard lock it twice (had to turn the power off at the socket as the power off button wasn't responding) with one of those incidents requiring a database rebuild. I've lost count of the times where it turned into a 1 fps slideshow, causing me to abort the current quest/location so I could save and restart the console.

It's not just the PS4, it's the PS4 in conjunction with an increasing number of games that are becoming more taxing on the the PS4's aging hardware. As I mentioned earlier, in my opinion Anthem is the straw that broke the camel's back.
    That's still nonsense. There are a lot more people out there playing non-anthem games right now than playing Anthem and it's only Anthem that's causing this. You may have personally had issues with Assassins creed, but 99% of other players didn't. On the other hand, everyone is crashing with Anthem. Not everyone gets bricked, but everyone is crashing. It's not like Anthem is some sort of technological marvel that's far more advanced than anything else on the market for it to be more taxing than other games either.

I'm also no stranger to PC games crashing, but crashing a console is unusual. Also, if a game was making me restore my PC when it crashed I wouldn't be ok with that either.

My take - if you don't feel Anthem is safe for your PS4, by all means don't play it until we know more about the issue. That's perfectly reasonable and there's no need for a congressional hearing/Spanish Inquisition over it. Given that I play on PC, I personally couldn't care less, but any level of dev attention to the game is a good thing from where I'm sitting.

Speaking of which, there's a patch coming out on Tuesday that supposedly has new content in addition to the next round of fixes, so I'm looking forward to that. It's unclear exactly what, but I'd assume it's something from the March roadmap they posted earlier.
    Fair enough, and I'm not trying to hijack the thread with it. I do think it's important to talk about though so people are aware. Especially since a lot of the more "official" outlets like the Subreddit are actively censoring any threads that talk about it.

Have you seen the new bug where level 1 starter weapons are apparently doing much more damage than any other guns in the game? Apparently enemies HP bars are coded to be relative to the level of gun shooting at them, so levelling up your gear actually lowers your damage even though the numbers go up. What a well designed game.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2019-03-07 at 05:14 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Fair enough, and I'm not trying to hijack the thread with it. I do think it's important to talk about though so people are aware. Especially since a lot of the more "official" outlets like the Subreddit are actively censoring any threads that talk about it.
    Given what I'm reading of Anthem's sales (it's sold about half of what ME Andromeda did in the same time period with physical sales) and EA's previous business practices with under-performing games (Bioware Montreal and ME Andromeda again), Anthem may well not be around for too much longer.

True that assessment is based on incomplete data (no digital sales numbers, 2 weeks old data now, etc), but the UK market's usually a fairly good indicator of the much larger US market.

16. - Top - End - #136

Griffon

Grinding for gear and equipment is a waste of time - due to a bug with level scaling, the best weapon in the game is a Level 1 Defender.

I've watched a lot of Anthem on Youtube and from Streamers as I thought it *might* have scratched a little bit of that Mass Effect nostalgia, but I haven't bought it.

And I won't. Jesus H. Christ, what I going on? Talk about a race to the bottom; between this and Fallout 76 we'll soon break through the crust and find ourselves surrounded by dinosaurs....
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Given what I'm reading of Anthem's sales (it's sold about half of what ME Andromeda did in the same time period with physical sales) and EA's previous business practices with under-performing games (Bioware Montreal and ME Andromeda again), Anthem may well not be around for too much longer.

True that assessment is based on incomplete data (no digital sales numbers, 2 weeks old data now, etc), but the UK market's usually a fairly good indicator of the much larger US market.
    Without digital sales I think this comparion is pretty useless. Digital game sales are increasing their market share compared to physical sales each year. That alone would skew that comparion. In addition you need to see what percent of sales are digital vs physical to begin with. For example I have to assume PC physical sales have basically been non-existent for years now.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

That's still nonsense. There are a lot more people out there playing non-anthem games right now than playing Anthem and it's only Anthem that's causing this. You may have personally had issues with Assassins creed, but 99% of other players didn't. On the other hand, everyone is crashing with Anthem. Not everyone gets bricked, but everyone is crashing. It's not like Anthem is some sort of technological marvel that's far more advanced than anything else on the market for it to be more taxing than other games either.

I'm also no stranger to PC games crashing, but crashing a console is unusual. Also, if a game was making me restore my PC when it crashed I wouldn't be ok with that either.

Have you seen the new bug where level 1 starter weapons are apparently doing much more damage than any other guns in the game? Apparently enemies HP bars are coded to be relative to the level of gun shooting at them, so levelling up your gear actually lowers your damage even though the numbers go up. What a well designed game.
    You say everyone while ignoring my post where I say I haven't had any issues what so ever with it. Obviously people are having issues with in and I've personally stopped playing until I get more information about this issue but saying literally everyone is having issues is as dismissive the people who said fallout 76 had no issues.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    Without digital sales I think this comparion is pretty useless. Digital game sales are increasing their market share compared to physical sales each year. That alone would skew that comparion.
    It's only 2 years since MEA launched, for physical sales to drop by half over that time period still seems pretty significant. The only possible saving grace is that Anthem, being a primarily online multiplayer game, is maybe something that people are more likely to pick up via download than a single-player experience like MEA.

20. - Top - End - #140

Have you seen the new bug where level 1 starter weapons are apparently doing much more damage than any other guns in the game? Apparently enemies HP bars are coded to be relative to the level of gun shooting at them, so levelling up your gear actually lowers your damage even though the numbers go up.
    Yeah it's a known bug, and confirmed to be getting fixed on Tuesday.

As I stated above, sales are actually pretty strong, and these are also UK charts. I think people are going to find the narrative that fits whatever they want it to be (I'm not immune to that either) but I don't see the value in doomsaying. If the game dies, it dies, it's not going to make me go back to Destiny or Warframe so I'll find something else. World keeps turning etc.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #141
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    You say everyone while ignoring my post where I say I haven't had any issues what so ever with it. Obviously people are having issues with in and I've personally stopped playing until I get more information about this issue but saying literally everyone is having issues is as dismissive the people who said fallout 76 had no issues.
    Ok. Everyone but this one person is having issues. Happy now? Obviously not literally every person in the universe is experiencing crashes, but the vast majority are. Even most people who are happy with the game are having these issues.

Yeah it's a known bug, and confirmed to be getting fixed on Tuesday.

As I stated above, sales are actually pretty strong, and these are also UK charts. I think people are going to find the narrative that fits whatever they want it to be (I'm not immune to that either) but I don't see the value in doomsaying. If the game dies, it dies, it's not going to make me go back to Destiny or Warframe so I'll find something else. World keeps turning etc.
    It's a "known bug" in the sense that they acknowledged it after it popped up on Reddit yesterday. It's good that they're fixing it, but I still think it's a fundamentally broken mechanic. Having enemies scale to your weapon breaks the entire point of a looter-shooter on a fundamental level. It also makes the stats on different weapons completely pointless, or at least incredibly deceiving.

You say you don't see the value in doomsaying? I do. Companies like EA are going to continue to churn out buggy, crappy, half-finished content like this until people stop paying them to do it. If something is good then I'm perfectly willing to praise it, but when something is bad people should talk about it so others know.

If it weren't for this thread I would have probably bought the game because the official Anthem sub is censoring criticism and I wouldn't have bothered to look deeper for issues. Because of "doomsaying" I know better and possibly avoided bricking my PS4. Plus, I know not to support the game. If enough people are like me, maybe they'll actually finish the product before selling it next time.

22. - Top - End - #142

It's a "known bug" in the sense that they acknowledged it after it popped up on Reddit yesterday. It's good that they're fixing it, but I still think it's a fundamentally broken mechanic. Having enemies scale to your weapon breaks the entire point of a looter-shooter on a fundamental level. It also makes the stats on different weapons completely pointless, or at least incredibly deceiving.
    It was the other way around actually, they were trying to scale low level weapons to the enemies to improve the "newly unlocked javelin" experience. That was the point of the link I provided in my post. It didnt work the way they intended so they're rolling it back, melodrama over.

You say you don't see the value in doomsaying? I do. Companies like EA are going to continue to churn out buggy, crappy, half-finished content like this until people stop paying them to do it. If something is good then I'm perfectly willing to praise it, but when something is bad people should talk about it so others know.

If it weren't for this thread I would have probably bought the game because the official Anthem sub is censoring criticism and I wouldn't have bothered to look deeper for issues. Because of "doomsaying" I know better and possibly avoided bricking my PS4. Plus, I know not to support the game. If enough people are like me, maybe they'll actually finish the product before selling it next time.
    Okay. Thanks for the bump.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2019-03-07 at 02:10 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143

For someone that hasn't seen a single trailer or gameplay video, what's Anthem like, what does it do well, and what are its flaws?
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Basically Destiny. As someone who has played neither Anthem nor Destiny.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

25. - Top - End - #145

For someone that hasn't seen a single trailer or gameplay video, what's Anthem like, what does it do well, and what are its flaws?
    In order:

1) It's like Destiny+Diablo+Mass Effect, with flying and more than one power per class.

2) It's flight system and gunplay are perhaps the most fun I've had in the genre. The classes all feel/play very different but all stay viable at higher difficulties. I also think the core story is stronger than Destiny's, but it's still primarily an Excuse Plot to build the gunplay around.

3) It's got a lot of bugs to iron out still, plus some questionable design decisions like inability to revive yourself, lack of waypoints in freeplay, and needing to run all the way back to the forge to launch missions. A number of these are slated for patching or redesign, with a major patch dropping Tuesday. The primary issue right now though is a dearth of content, and it's particularly damning that there's no real reason to run Grandmaster 2 and 3 just yet - the amount of extra time and difficulty aren't currently worth the rewards you get from doing so.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2019-03-07 at 04:16 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #146

In order:

1) It's like Destiny+Diablo+Mass Effect, with flying and more than one power per class.

2) It's flight system and gunplay are perhaps the most fun I've had in the genre. The classes all feel/play very different but all stay viable at higher difficulties. I also think the core story is stronger than Destiny's, but it's still primarily an Excuse Plot to build the gunplay around.

3) It's got a lot of bugs to iron out still, plus some questionable design decisions like inability to revive yourself, lack of waypoints in freeplay, and needing to run all the way back to the forge to launch missions. A number of these are slated for patching or redesign, with a major patch dropping Tuesday. The primary issue right now though is a dearth of content, and it's particularly damning that there's no real reason to run Grandmaster 2 and 3 just yet - the amount of extra time and difficulty aren't currently worth the rewards you get from doing so.
    Thank you!

Does the game have regular cooperative play? That is, is everyone just trying to kill things as efficiently as possible, or are their active incentives to perform as a team?

As much as I like the games you mentioned, "team play" wasn't really a major focus of any of them, which is a big deal if the game is designed to focus around Multiplayer.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-03-07 at 04:43 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

27. - Top - End - #147

Thank you!

Does the game have regular cooperative play? That is, is everyone just trying to kill things as efficiently as possible, or are their active incentives to perform as a team?

As much as I like the games you mentioned, "team play" wasn't really a major focus of any of them, which is a big deal if the game is designed to focus around Multiplayer.
    Not sure I understand your question - trying to kill everything efficiently and working together aren't mutually exclusive. After all, if everyone is alive, that maximizes the party's damage, and every enemy one of your party members kills is one less you have to worry about.

If what you're looking for are teamwork incentives in the gameplay, here are some examples:

1) The combo system - some abilities set up combos (prime) and others activate them (detonate) for big damage bonuses. If you've played Mass Effect 2 or 3 (or Andromeda) it should be pretty intuitive. You can do this solo, but the system works better in groups because the more people you have, the more combos you can prime and detonate, especially in a more coordinated group that's consciously rotating cooldowns.

2) The revive system - in respawn restricted areas, you depend on your teammates to get you up from a downed state, which then encourages players to do the same for each other. As I noted above, this is a bit overly restrictive at present (where you can't do anything while down except wait or alt-F4) but they are changing it on Tuesday to be a 30s wait before you can respawn if nobody comes to get you.

3) Support abilities - every Javelin has a "support slot" which carries an ability geared at helping your party. For example, the Ranger can put down a shield dome or a damage-boosting zone, while the Colossus can taunt enemies to focus on it or reinforce ally shields. You're not required to coordinate to make use of these, but their effects tend to be highly visible (even in Anthem's generally chaotic battles) so taking advantage of one that your ally has activated is pretty easy.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

The same here. Anthem was one of the games that was going to make me decide if I was finally going to buy a PS4, and from what I've heard of it there's no real reason for me to buy it because it doesn't do anything particularly well (just a lot of things okay), has a lack of content, and could brickcrash a PS4. That brings me down to about four PS4 games I actually want to play, which means I probably won't be getting one until the next console generation starts.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Well, only through interpretation of limited data.

Yes, Anthem was the most sold game that week but your link only does a relative comparison to the other games sold that week.

The other data I found also agrees that Anthem was the most sold game that week, but does an additional comparison to ME Andromeda and other games in terms of absolute physical units sold. In that absolute unit comparison (which is arguably more important as that's a measurement of revenue rather than comparative popularity), Anthem isn't doing so well. Hopefully more information will come through regarding the digital sales and we can make a better comparison.

In either case, while doomsaying won't affect your playing of Anthem, it will affect Bioware and other games it has in the pipeline - Dragon Age 4 for example. For all we know, Anthem crashing and burning may result in a separation of Bioware and EA, much like Bungie and Activision, resulting in Bioware regaining creative control over its IPs again. That can only be a good thing for the quality (both technical and player experience) of games as there's less executive meddling, less pressure to ship a minimum viable product on schedule and less features that should have been in the game from launch being added incrementally as free/micro-transaction/dlc payments.

30. - Top - End - #150

Well, only through interpretation of limited data.
    Of course it's "limited data," it's only been a week and some change since release. One more reason I roll my eyes at the dogpile.

In either case, while doomsaying won't affect your playing of Anthem, it will affect Bioware and other games it has in the pipeline - Dragon Age 4 for example. For all we know, Anthem crashing and burning may result in a separation of Bioware and EA, much like Bungie and Activision, resulting in Bioware regaining creative control over its IPs again.
    While I wouldn't throw my toys out of the pram if that happened, I don't think it's particularly realistic either. All Bungie and Activision had was a very limited publishing arrangement for a single game - their relationship is nothing like the one between EA and Bioware, which is essentially whole ownership. Anthem flaming out is unlikely to change that; it's just as if not more likely to mean EA will do what it does to other studios that it has pushed out of their comfort zone, like Westwood, Visceral, Maxis, and Bullfrog.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy