New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Candy Themed Martial Arts - Tummy Bears world design help.

So, I'm working on a web comic currently which is loosely inspired by The Giant's approach to D&D in his comic world.

This is a Mutants and Masterminds setting, but instead of Super Heroes, it's anthropomorphic bears.

Very cartoony, I'm sure there is a name for the aesthetic style, but for now I'm calling it "Mouse Punk". It's cute, it's fun, it's super bright and saturated in color.

One of the main characters in the 5-man band is a martial artist/monk (all the central characters are mono-classed D&D characters, a Cleric, Warlock, Bard, Monk and Ranger, specifically).

I want Cinnamon Top (The monk) to be on a Wuxia quest to master the 9 candy forms of martial arts, but I'm starting to tumble between indecision as to which candies should associate with which real life martial arts styles.

Lolipop is predominately focused on staff fighting.

Red Hot is loosely based on Capoeira, but will also have Avatar the Last Air Bender Fire-bending flares to it.

Jaw Breaker was originally going to be Hung Gar, but I'm considering it being American Boxing/Thai Kick Boxing now... I'm not sure if I like either fit, really.

Salt Water Taffy is probably going to be Jujitsu (The idea of it being ropy and sticky and just tying down your opponent), but I may look into chain fighting forms to fill the niche as well...

Cotton Candy being based on Tai Chi just makes sense in my mind, but it doesn't... Feel... fluffy. With a static medium like comic books, it's hard to depict the fluid motions.

I know the 9th style is going to be Caffeine, and I want that to be full on Mysticism - Punching faster then time itself, stand on a falling leaf, wire-fu. While many Wuxia films are loosely based on Kung Fu forms, this is directly tied to the supernatural of Qi.

Marshmallow might end up being Sumo Wrestling, but it would be HARD for Cinnamon Top to Sumo considering that Tummy Bears aren't particularly diverse in shape. Maybe she'll grow in size and/or weight or something, I dunno.

I'm doing my best to avoid name brand candies (I think Lolipop may be name brand, but I'm not sure. I know Red Hot is, but finding a name for spicy candy styles that aren't named Cinnamon is tough. I may have to rename Cinnamon Top instead) and I was kind of thinking of Chocolate having a number of sub-styles inside of it, but again I'm not sure.

I decided I wanted a martial artist so that the fights weren't just swings and action lines. I want to start working out the styles histories and backgrounds, the temples to learn them and what the candies have to do with learning the form and the general artistry of a world with the 9 defined styles in place.

I guess I'm generally in a loop of brainstorming without landing on anything that's really catching my attention, if that makes sense. I don't have a defined list, but I don't know how to even start defining that list out in the first place.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Candy Themed Martial Arts - Tummy Bears world design help.

Seems like you should put them in a table to organize them (name of the style/advantages/inspired by which fighting style/ required training).

How about the art of chewo? Inspired by judo and chewing gum, it allows you to stick your enemy to the ground (reflecting the many ways to grapple and throw an enemy).

And maybe calling something "fighting vanilla style" could be a disparaging term for unskilled fighters?
    What can change the nature of a man?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

how about Ice Cream?
    Cold blooded style, with fluffy hits which cause brain freeze?
    Thanks for the OOTSkage of OOTS art, Lord Raziere.

------
    My previouse Avater

Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

something something "Death By Chocolate" something aomething "Brain Freeze" something something
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn4 View Post
    Seems like you should put them in a table to organize them (name of the style/advantages/inspired by which fighting style/ required training).
    ... Yeah... I probably should...

The problem I've been having is finding something that sticks. Lolipop is the only one that has really 'stuck' as an obvious good fit for each other, and the rest seem a bit loosey goosey to me.

Like I said, I feel like I'm in a loop with brainstorming and not finding anything that really catches me. So, I'm posting it here to see if I can get some outsider influances in. I'm trying to buck the loop of "Well this sorta works, but this would be better, but that would be better for this, but this would be better for..." you get the picture.

How about the art of chewo? Inspired by judo and chewing gum, it allows you to stick your enemy to the ground (reflecting the many ways to grapple and throw an enemy).
    I like the idea of Bubblegum being a grappling style, Probably one with hair pulling as a traditional practice.

I think Judo is a good fit for it, especially as a soft style of martial arts and I'm trying to keep Hard Candies - Hard Styles theme going. (One of the major reasons I don't like Sumo/Marshmallow, Marshmallows are pretty soft by definition and Sumo is a very hard style of Martial Art.)

And maybe calling something "fighting vanilla style" could be a disparaging term for unskilled fighters?
    I like this a lot too, the idea of schools calling a style "Vanilla" or "Too Vanilla" to show their pride in their mastery of technique. Works for me! :D

Quote Originally Posted by igordragonian View Post
    how about Ice Cream?
    Cold blooded style, with fluffy hits which cause brain freeze?
    So, I've been working out different names for elemental types (Instead of Electrical, it's Tickling. Instead of Evil or Necrotic, it's Sour, etc). Cold has been a hard name to replace. Sniffling has been what I'm working with now. With this idea, calling it Sprinkle damage may be a good call.

I do like the idea of a monastery in the heart of the arctic circles with a bunch of monks working out soft or hard ice cream styles. Since I had a Fire (Spicy) elemental form with Red Hot, a cold version makes sense as well. It may be Avatar the last Airbender kicking in again, but for some reason, I'm seeing it as Crane Kung Fu. The official name of the style eludes me right now, but I'm wondering if Crane is what Waterbending is based on. I'll google it in a second here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    something something "Death By Chocolate" something aomething "Brain Freeze" something something
    I... Waffle Cone? I guess?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Son of A Lich! View Post
    So, I've been working out different names for elemental types (Instead of Electrical, it's Tickling. Instead of Evil or Necrotic, it's Sour, etc). Cold has been a hard name to replace. Sniffling has been what I'm working with now. With this idea, calling it Sprinkle damage may be a good call.
    Perhaps for cold go with Fresh or Minty? Those are both used by things to describe a cooling sort of flavour.

One thing to maybe consider is iron out 9 distinct flavours of martial arts, so far you've got:

1 - Staff-based weapons (Lollipop)
    2 - Reactionary grappling (Taffy)
    3 - Fast, aggressive, unarmed (Red Hot)
    4 - Wuxia ki powers (Caffiene)

You've got some ideas you're not yet sold on, Cotton Candy, Jawbreaker, and Marshmallow.

Jawbreaker or Gobstopper I see as being a hard striking martial art, possibly with some joint manipulation thrown in. Maybe something like Krav Maga? Differentiated from Red Hot by being less about reaction time, more about doing the most damage as quickly as possible?

Marshmallow would be a softer style, focused more around absorbing your opponents force. I'd actually say thematically this might work better as a Tai Chi style. Focused less on hurting people and more on defense, yielding and sticking to an incoming attack rather than attempting to meet it with opposing force. Other possible names being Gummy (for that Gummy Bears pun), or Jelly Style.

Cotton Candy I'd say might not be a real martial art, it's all flavour and no substance. Dissolving at the first sign of trouble. Maybe a 10th pretender art?

So far you're lacking a martial art that uses non-stick weapons, might be worth considering something there?

Chewing Gum as a grappling art seems on point too, maybe it formed as a more aggressive Marshmallow/Gummy variant that became it's own style?

That's all I got for now, hopefully that helps spark something for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bowerbird View Post
    Perhaps for cold go with Fresh or Minty? Those are both used by things to describe a cooling sort of flavour.

One thing to maybe consider is iron out 9 distinct flavours of martial arts, so far you've got:

1 - Staff-based weapons (Lollipop)
    2 - Reactionary grappling (Taffy)
    3 - Fast, aggressive, unarmed (Red Hot)
    4 - Wuxia ki powers (Caffiene)

You've got some ideas you're not yet sold on, Cotton Candy, Jawbreaker, and Marshmallow.

Jawbreaker or Gobstopper I see as being a hard striking martial art, possibly with some joint manipulation thrown in. Maybe something like Krav Maga? Differentiated from Red Hot by being less about reaction time, more about doing the most damage as quickly as possible?

Marshmallow would be a softer style, focused more around absorbing your opponents force. I'd actually say thematically this might work better as a Tai Chi style. Focused less on hurting people and more on defense, yielding and sticking to an incoming attack rather than attempting to meet it with opposing force. Other possible names being Gummy (for that Gummy Bears pun), or Jelly Style.

Cotton Candy I'd say might not be a real martial art, it's all flavour and no substance. Dissolving at the first sign of trouble. Maybe a 10th pretender art?

So far you're lacking a martial art that uses non-stick weapons, might be worth considering something there?

Chewing Gum as a grappling art seems on point too, maybe it formed as a more aggressive Marshmallow/Gummy variant that became it's own style?

That's all I got for now, hopefully that helps spark something for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sword Art Online
    Not a fan of the bard, you got it, man he's gone - You and I brother are on the same page, my man!
    So, I basically formed this and I'm not 100% sold, but it works for what I got.

Red Hot - Capoeira, with extra spicy aura and extreme mobility (Even if it is really exhausting)
    Bubble Gum - Judo. Stick ya to the ground and keep you there and pull your hair.
    Rock Candy - Various Kung fu forms with unique Chinese weaponry. Mastering Rock Candy is not about how you use it, but how you make your weapons (reflecting that it's an easy kind of candy to make at home)
    Lolipop - Bo staff fighting. I was really inspired by seeing the fight in Pacific Rim, but I'm not sure what form of bo-fighting they were using. A lot of it looked like Kendo or Iajutsu, but I think they mixed a few styles in.
    Cotton Candy - Ninjutsu. (This is where I was thought we were on the exact same page) Much of commonly practiced Ninjutsu as a martial arts form has literal background in theatrics (Even the all dressed in black thing), and it seemed like the light and fluffy "I'm hardly even here" with the connection to Theater concessions and an adorable pink/blue puff of smoke to disappear.
    Jawbreaker - I like Hungar, but Krav Maga is Devastating to look at. Hungar stances look rock solid, but Krav Maga just looks like it hurts. I'm probably going to mix these two together.
    Chocolate - American Boxing. Three distinct subsets that all are trading jabs with one another but need to be learned for mastery - Fudge, Milk and White. This reflects the major strategies of boxing.
    Ice Cream - Everything goes good with Ice Cream. I decided on Tai Chi for Ice Cream, to get the rolling and churning look (And it was easy to draw penguins in tai chi stances) but I wanted a style that specialized in mixing two different styles together with mastery being able to use three styles, in a technique called Neapolitan.
    Caffine - Already covered, I decided this one a long time ago. Heavily inspired Wuxia, with maybe some Drunken master thrown in (At least for the master, who is going to be a sloth, because of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    English: so broken, you technically cannot use it wrong.
    Grey Wolf

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh nice, looks good.

I didn't think of Ninjutsu for Cotton Candy, but you're right that does fit well, there one minute seemingly dissolved the next.

I like Tai Chi as Ice Cream, it fits the movement style and Tai Chi penguins would be awesome. You could blend a little bit, Chocolate Ice Cream is focused on hand strikes drawing a parallel with Chocolate Boxing, Vanilla for the basics, etc?

The only other thing that springs to mind at the moment is perhaps a fourth, less sanctioned variation on Chocolate: Dark. Seen as a bit too brutal by most, but enjoyed by a select few as an acquired taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bowerbird View Post
    Oh nice, looks good.

I didn't think of Ninjutsu for Cotton Candy, but you're right that does fit well, there one minute seemingly dissolved the next.

I like Tai Chi as Ice Cream, it fits the movement style and Tai Chi penguins would be awesome. You could blend a little bit, Chocolate Ice Cream is focused on hand strikes drawing a parallel with Chocolate Boxing, Vanilla for the basics, etc?

The only other thing that springs to mind at the moment is perhaps a fourth, less sanctioned variation on Chocolate: Dark. Seen as a bit too brutal by most, but enjoyed by a select few as an acquired taste.
    Man, I swear, we are on the exact same wavelength.

Muy Thai Kick boxing. Dark chocolate is it's own thing, too bitter for most people but when you want chocolate it's a gooooood choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    English: so broken, you technically cannot use it wrong.
    Grey Wolf