New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default jcb's Princes of the Apocalypse (5e Campaign)- Group Alpha IC

Welcome to Red Larch

The day dawns clear and warm, and after last night's storm it is a wonder. Most of you arrived in town early last night before the first rain drops fell. The rest arrived just that afternoon setting up shop and readying yourselves for the task before you. A task assigned to each of you separately by the heads of your Factions in the area.

The mission- Discover the whereabouts and reasons behind a missing delegation from the city of Mirabar. So important were the reasons these dwarves ventured forth from their remote city, that now all five Factions of the Realms have banded together to solve the mystery behind their disappearance.

Portents and clues gathered up have all pointed to the same conclusion- that there is trouble in the Dessarin Valley. With little to no real information you were all sent to the town of Red Larch under the cover story of a new blacksmith and company wishing to set up shop.

Spoiler: Onesimus
    Show
    Your character is here almost exactly like you explained in the OOC, his main objective is to bring a better name to The Black Network. But as in everything with the Zhentarim there is a secondary mission under the first. Whatever is happening in the Dessarin Valley it does not affect the prosperity of Yartar. Your "job" is find out if there is any plot to undermine the Waterbaron or bring turmoil to the town of Yartar.

Spoiler: Albrecht
    Show
    Not only are the people of the delegation missing, but also the body of knight who was killed fighting orcs in the Spine of the World. His body was to be delivered to Summit Hall to be interred with honor. And there is a contact in Red Larch for the Order of the Gauntlet name Imdarr Relvaunder at the All Faiths Shrine.

Spoiler: Dernin
    Show
    Another hook that might find Dernin interested in the Dessarin Valley could be the talk of river pirates operating along the Dessarin River (think Mississippi size)

Spoiler: Mari
    Show
    The delegation included a renowned shield dwarf historian named Bruldenthar, who was transporting his collection of manuscripts to Waterdeep. The Harpers don’t want the sage or his books to fall into the wrong hands.

Spoiler: Korzin
    Show
    Three important diplomats from cities in the alliance were leading the delegation: a moon elf from Silverymoon named Teresiel, a shield dwarf from Mirabar named Rhundorth, and a human noble from Waterdeep named Deseyna Majarra. The diplomats are important, but each also carries one part of a secret, coded document that must be recovered at all costs.

Spoiler: Lorran
    Show
    A moon elf named Teresiel was one of the delegation's leaders and she also was carrying a pouch of magical seeds to be delivered to the abbey of Goldenfields.
    Last edited by jcb2772; 2021-02-19 at 02:15 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: jcb's Princes of the Apocalypse (5e Campaign)- Group Alpha IC

Party:

Albrecht human male, paladin2/sorcerer1
    Mari halfling female, cleric1/bard2
    Lorran human male, druid3
    Dernin human male, rogue3
    Onesimus human male, warlock3
    Korzin half-orc female, fighter3

Links:
    OOC
    Spoiler: Area Map
    Show

Last edited by jcb2772; 2021-02-25 at 12:11 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The building you've been given to use as a temporary base of operations is in fine almost new condition. It houses a small forge and stable in the back. The second story houses the kitchen, dining, and common rooms, while the third floor is one huge room with beds and space for everyone.

Currently the smell of bacon and bread fills the air as breakfast is being made.

Spoiler: OOG
    Show
    IC is all ours please post your characters meeting and having breakfast.
    Last edited by jcb2772; 2021-02-19 at 02:33 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Mari Yveltin
    AC: 16 | Max HP: 21 | Current HP: 21 | Hit Die: 3d8
    Init: +0 | Passive Perception: 12
    Active Effects:
    Active Conditions:
    Concentration:

It didn't take long for the wafting smells of a cooking breakfast to stir Mari from her restful sleep. She'd barely made it inside before the rain started the night before and having to run such a distance to do so had left her exhausted to the point where she'd nearly forgotten to take off her boots before getting to her bed. Now though was a new day, and a new day starting with a good smelling breakfast brought out the halflings still somewhat groggy smile. Slightly unsteady on her feet, Mari clambered off her bed and went through the first half of her morning rituals before succumbing to the alluring smells wafting up from the kitchen.

Hair still a tangled mess of bed head, Mari wandered first toward the kitchen itself. "Mmm good morning whoever's cooking down here. Now what is being cooked and how soon until it's ready?" she asked as she happily entered the room and started to look for the source of what woke her this pleasant morning.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Albrecht, Folk Hero & Knight Aspirant
    AC: 17 | MAX HP: 27 | CURRENT: 27 | HIT DIE: 2d10, 1d6 | CURRENT: 2d10, 1d6
    INITIATIVE: +0 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 12 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.

Albrecht, the son of a farmer, had woken at the crack of dawn, wandering the town of Red Larch, he'd spoken to several farmers already, and obtained the ingrediants for a hearty moring meal with which to treat his companions. As the dark haired halfling stumbled into the kitchen, Albrecht smiled. He was wearing rough spun cotton breeches, and a simple tunic, his dark hair was close cropped, a neatly groomed beard accented a strong, squared jaw. His smile, however, was broad, and natural, "Kettle is about ready to boil, there's some loose leaf tea, or ground kaffa beans, whichever you prefer. Some rye bread," he nodded towards the open window, "did you know there's a baker down the lane? Anyways, some rye breads, honeys and jams I found at the farmer's market."

He turned with a bowl of thick oat and grain porridge, "There's some field berries if you prefer that in your porridge." He indicated the stores arrayed on the long table, "I prefer mine with honey and a pinch of brown sugar." He continued to work the pots on the wood burning stove, before removing them to the table, "The other's should be up soon." He reached a large, calloused hand across the table, "Albrecht, of West Garth, sorry." An embarassed look, "Sorry, it was Mari, right? So many new faces last night, I couldn't, honestly, keep track."

Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    OOC: Rolled in the OOC thread, a 22 to see how well local's like us, and an 11 for breakfast. Ingrediants are fresh, bread's warm, thanks to the locals, and it is cooked ... ok. But at least he tried!

Oh! As a side note, in the morning sunlight, folks may notice the glint of something reflection along the skin of his collar bone, shoulders, and forearms. On closer inspection, it would appear to be golden sheened scales.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-02-19 at 04:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Show
    Great start. I'm going to grant Albrecht an inspiration die. Its great you added in the farmer's market and bakery. Also will need you to roll me two CHA checks - the first to see how well the locals liked you and the second is to see how well breakfast turns out. A low roll there means you forgot the bacon. Don't burn the bacon! LOL
    Last edited by jcb2772; 2021-02-19 at 04:46 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Mari Yveltin
    Active Effects:
    Active Conditions:
    Concentration:

Mari wasted little time in wandering towards the kettle and preparing herself a cup of tea while Albrecht listed off all he'd picked up from the market. While it cooled she grabbed herself a slice of bread and quickly slathered it with a strawberry jam and let it occupy the side of her tea cups saucer. "Good guess, yes I would be Mari," she replied with a still slightly tired smile."Mari Yveltin of Glimmer bog, and I can't blame you for it even if you did get my name wrong Albercht, I wandered in so tired yesterday that I barely said more than a mumble to anyone. Still I see someone's been busy this morning. If this is what we can come to expect, this will be one of the best assignments yet," she added pleasantly before taking a long drink of the still hot tea.

"Where'd you learn how to cook?" she'd ask while getting a bowl of the porridge, opting for the berries as an addition.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Albrecht took a seat as he spoke with the slim halfling woman, "West Garth was a farming community in the Silver Marches, my mom would always have a crust of bread, some fruits, preserves, and tea, or wine on the table before my sister and I would go out to help my dad with the fields." He smiled, though there was a sadness to it, "She used to tell me there's no better way to meet new people than to make sure their bellies are full." A soft chuckle, "I'm not as good a cook as her, more used to a pot and a kettle over a camp fire on the side of a road."

As he spoke, he spooned sugar into a cup, before pouring some steeped kaffa bean brew into the mug. He held the cup, savoring the warmth and the bitter scent of the coffee before sipping it slowly. Looking around the well stocked home, he nodded towards the stairs that led to the upper bed chambers. "The Order's done well, set us up nicely they have. We'll have to get the forge up and running," he paused, considering Mari's late arrival, "if you need your horse shoed, or your gear looked at, I'm a passing hand at a forge and anvil."

Show
    OOC: Any chance the order set us up with some mounts? Or a wagon and oxen for the forge?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Show
    Sorry no mounts or animals to start there is a cart that brought you, Korzin, and Dernin along with supplies for the house. Onesimus, Lorran, and Mari were the late evening arrivals. Their mounts and the draft horse pulling the cart needed to be returned to the livery in town last night.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Mari Yveltin
    Active Effects:
    Active Conditions:
    Concentration:

"She sounds like a smart woman," Mari replied, taking note of the somber town and dropped disposition, she'd seen that look of loss plenty of times before. Mari continued to listen as Albrecht went on, trying to first few spoonful's of porridge and joining it with a bit of toast. "Yeah, this sure beats some of the other inns I've had to stay at, and you know how to work the smithy too? Is there anything you can't do?" Mari asked rhetorically between bites. She polished off the last of her bowl and washed it down with a bit more tea before going to fix herself a second cup. "Well I'm glad that at least one of us knows how to work the smithy, it'll certainly help appearances. I'm afraid I won't be much help with it though, never was much need for forge work in the... family business. Don't worry, it's nothing bad, just not pleasant morning table talk," Mari adds dismissively with a smile while bringing the fresh cup back to the table.

"So there's a bakery in town, any other points of interest around? If there's a town square or even a tavern, I might be able to draw up a crowd for this place and maybe gather some rumors on the target," Mari adds thinking of her own contribution to the mission.
    Last edited by Zalphier; 2021-02-20 at 05:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Dernin Greesh
    AC: 14 | Max HP: 18 | Current HP: 18 | Hit Die: 3d8
    Init: +5 | Passive Perception: 13
    Active Effects:
    Active Conditions:
    Concentration:

Dernin wakes as he does most mornings, with a pounding headache and a dire thirst. The sound of happy voices on the floor below fill him with a strong desire to return to bed, but years of over drinking on ships has taught him the value of getting on with a new day. Rolling out of bed, the sinewy dark haired Dernin finds a bucket of water to shock himself awake fully. Donning dark clothes, he tussles his wet hair to achieve the perfect combination of uncaring and unkempt (a process which has taken his whole life to perfect). Strapping his rapier and dagger to his belt, and another dagger in the small of his back, Dernin opens his door, puts on his an air of pure bravado, and loudly makes his way downstairs.

Hearing conversation in the dining area, Dernin waits for a pause in the conversation suitable for a grand entrance. With a flourish, and still fighting the hangover, introduces himself, "Greetings one and all! And while tales of me have surely reached your ears and no introductions are needed..." he pauses as he eyes his two new companions for any sign of recognition "It is I, Dernin Greesh, dashing swordsman, cunning pirate, and ever humbly", He says with a wink "Your new companion."

Grabbing a plate, tossing it behind his back, and back to his front, Dernin spins it between his hands before filling it with porridge and sugar in equal amounts. "Any of wine remain from last night? I could use a pick me up with breakfast, unless we are getting right to business of course. I arrived late last night and everyone was already asleep, have you all made introductions already?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mari Yveltin View Post
    "So there's a bakery in town, any other points of interest around? If there's a town square or even a tavern, I might be able to draw up a crowd for this place and maybe gather some rumors on the target,"
    He nodded at the diminuitive woman, "Followed my nose to the baer's, nothing like the smell of fresh baked breads to bring a hungry man to your door," a soft chuckle, "other than a farmer's market, not much I noticed. Though I do know there's a shrine of the All Faith here abouts, I'd like to have the pastor visit, and lay a blessing on the hearth before we open for business. When our companions ...," before he could finish his thought the gregarious young noble descended from the upper bed chambers.

The large man smiled at their rakish new companion, "Can't say that I have heard of you Master Greesh, though it sounds like you are a well travelled man," with a nod of his head he indicated a earthwar jug of red left over from the night before. "'fraid it sat out all night, if you want we could get some clove, some cinnamon, and some raisin, heat it and mull it. Unless you prefer the dregs?"

He indicated the young halfling beside him, "This is the Lady Mira Yveltin of Glimmer Bog, and I am Albrecht of West Garth, in the Silver Marches. We were just discussing how best to discover the local gossip on the disappearance of the delegation. Any thoughts?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Lorran Springway
    V. Human (Moon) Druid 3
    AC: 11 | HP: 21/21 | HD: 3d8
    Initiative: +0 | P. Perception: 16 | P. Investigation: 12
    Active Effects: None
    Conditions: None

Lorran woke up late - well, later than he used to. Though he tries to pretend he is over his long illness, he is still weak and slow to wake in the mornings. Lorran screws up his courage, and gets out of bed. He looks at the warm bed and mattress and shakes his head. "I've gone soft," Lorran whispers to himself. He quietly collects his things, including his cloak with the Emerald Enclave brooch, trying not to wake the others.

Lorran walks down the two flights, following the smell of breakfast. He pauses in the doorway and smiles at Mari, "Good morning, Mari. You look cheerful already." He also nods at Albrecht and Dernin. "Sorry if I interrupted. Please continue." Lorran helps himself to some porridge and berries, gets some water from the pitcher, and sits down at the table to eat.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Dernin Greesh
    Active Effects:
    Active Conditions:
    Concentration:

"No apologies necessary friend, we were just discussing the matter at hand. Albrecht, if your spiced wine recipe is half as good as this porridge I would be much obliged, thank you. As for discovering gossip, Mari is correct, the tavern would be the place to check. I volunteer to handle this dangerous prospect," Dernin says with a big smile, his left hand stroking a small bag containing his gambling dice on his belt, " Although evening would be a better time to find loose lips. Until then I would be happy to assist in any other way the group sees fit."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Mari Yveltin
    Active Effects:
    Active Conditions:
    Concentration:

Mari had been about to reply why Dernin made his entrance, and she had to bite back a chuckle at the performance. "Maybe I'm not the one who should be trying to gather the crowds if you're this lively in the mornings," Mari added while Dernin got his drink. "And good morning to you too," she replied to Lorran with a pleasant smile before some worry seeped into the corners. "Don't worry about it, we might actually want to wait until we're all down here to keep discussing it too much, won't have to repeat ourselves. But did you sleep alright? Feeling okay this morning?" Mari asked at the end, examining Lorran from across the table, recalling all to well the state he'd been in when she first met him.

"Actually, Dernin, Lorran, do either of you have any prior practice at forge work?"
    Last edited by Zalphier; 2021-02-20 at 05:56 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Dernin Greesh
    Active Effects:
    Active Conditions:
    Concentration:

Between sips of excellent spiced wine, Dernin says, "No forge experience here. My artistry comes from a completed blade."

17. - Top - End - #17

SamuraiGuy

Lorran Springway
    V. Human (Moon) Druid 3

Lorran smiles at Dernin's remark, and slowly shakes his head at Mari. "I'm fine, thanks. And sorry, no forge experience here. And it would likely be a mistake for me to try. I am good with animals, if that would help in some way." Then Lorran is stuck by an idea. "I also have some skill with herbalism. Does this town have an herbalist? Maybe I could set up a side business selling herbs, and talk to people that way...though that would take more time."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Onesimus
    AC: 13 | MAX HP: 24 | CURRENT: 24 | HIT DIE: 3d8 |
    INITIATIVE: +2 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 13 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 11

The last one to arrive the night before, Onesimus slept later than the others. His trip had been difficult, and he had arrived soaked to the skin and in a foul temper. The last hadn't improved greatly with the new day.

He scrubbed his teeth with some salt he kept in his pack and stumbled down the stairs, following the smell of warm bread and bacon. "I hope there is some of that bacon left, because I don't think I can stomach gruel today.", he grumbles loud enough for everyone to hear. "You can bring me some of the bread, too.", he says as he sits down in an empty chair and scoots it up to the table.
    Last edited by Kvard51; 2021-02-21 at 04:02 AM.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Mari Yveltin
    Active Effects:
    Active Conditions:
    Concentration:

"So that still leaves only Albrecht as the only one handy with an anvil so far," Mari replied initially, more to herself than anyone else before taking a drink. Her empty hand that rested on the table suddenly started tapping it with different fingers. "And that's not a bad idea Lorran, but I share your worry about a side business taking time. We have the benefit of the smithy being announced and planned, we don't have that with an herbalist shop and trying to run two businesses would give us less time to work on the mission at hand. No, I think it'd be better to use your herbal knowledge to work with the local herbalist if there is one. We could get some side jobs gathering from perhaps more dangerous areas around town, get a better lay of the land as well as find out some possible threats to our target and build our trust with the villa-," Mari paused as Onesimus made his entrance, her tapping stopped on the spot

"Good morning, sorry but no bacon today. Plenty of porridge and things to add to it though. Also your choice of coffee or tea, curtesy of our handyman Albrecht," Mari replied with an apologetic smile. "I don't think we were properly introduced, I'm Mari, that's Albrecht, Dernin's over there and this would be Lorran, and you are?" Though she introduced everyone, the gesture she did so with yielded plenty of time for each person to add to it if they wanted. We were also talking about our cover, you wouldn't happen to have any experience at the forge, would you?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Korzin

A tall, muscular half-orc woman dressed in homespun clothes and wearing a well-worn full-length heavy leather apron enters the kitchen carrying an armload of kindling. Her hair is close-cropped at the sides but long through the top and back, tied back with a leather thong; a small axe dangles from a loop at her belt.

"Hey, breakfast!" she exclaims, dumping the firewood in the wicker basket next to the stove. Apparently ignoring the others, she tears off a chunk of bread and crams it in her mouth, chewing noisily whilst she serves up a helping of porridge and berries in the largest bowl she can find.

Bowl and spoon in one hand, she makes her way to the table, pulls out a chair and reverses it before sitting down and starting on the porridge. "So I've given the forge and stables a once over," she says around mouthfuls of breakfast, "and they're in pretty good nick - there was hardly any rust on the anvil, and the bellows have been well-oiled." She nods approvingly. "We'll need to go into town soon, though - the supplies we've been give won't last long, and we'll need to find suppliers for coal, stock steel, pig iron, oil, charcoal, and salt. It'll also give us a chance to make us known and get to know the locals." She finishes the bowl and looks around the table. "Did I hear someone say 'bacon' when I came in?" she asks hopefully.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

As the broad shouldered mercenary spoke up, having done a thorough inventory of their supplies, Albrecht nodded, a smile on his face. "Last of the bacon's still in the pan m'lady," he nodded towards the stove, "little fattier than I'd like, but I'm only a passing hand at cooking." He finished his coffee, stood up to lean against the counter, making space for the half orc at the table.

"Thanks for taking stock of our supplies, I was going to do that after breakfast. I've got a writ from the Order of the Gauntlet for some of the supplies, which would be prohibitive, given our current pool of resources." He paused, looking around the common room, "Seems like we've all gathered now, does anyone have any insight on how to proceed? I figure we get some of us to talk to any woodsmen, or hunters, they might have seen something while in the wilderness, bandits, or any unusual activity. Maybe Lady Korzin and I supply the forge and see if we can get local rumor mill from tradesmen, anyone got something else?"

Spoiler: Out of Character Action
    Show
    OOC: As a side note, there is not a single hint of sarcasim in Albrecht's usage of m'lady, or Lady, when addressing Korzin, he's simply being polite, treating her with respect.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Dernin Greesh
    Active Effects:
    Active Conditions:
    Concentration:

Dernin licks his spoon, stands up, and tosses his bowl in with the rest of the dirty dishes. "Sounds like a great plan to me. While you lot root around the shops and stables, I will check in with Red Larches underbelly, see if the local riff raff have heard any tales worth telling."

With that Dernin heads back upstairs to the common sleeping area and dons his leather armor, fitting his thieves tools into hidden pockets in the stitching between pieces of leather. He eyes his shortbow, and magical quiver and decides they will probably not be needed. Dernin does grab his favorite tool, the pouch containing hundreds of tiny ball bearings. He chuckles to himself, thinking of the times he has used them on friends and foes alike.

Returning back to the dining room, Dernin says, "Unless anyone else has a better idea, we should meet at the tavern at dusk and compare notes on today's findings. It will also give us a chance to catch any locals we missed during the day. And, because I am such a generous soul, the first round is on me. There is a small tavern I have stayed in before, The 'Dran and Courtier' assuming they are still in business, we could meet there."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    If no one opposes Dernin's plans, he will head off into town searching for any sign of a thieves guild here in Red Larch using Thieves' Cant. If successful he will inquire about the missing Dwarven envoy. Let me know if you want any rolls.

23. - Top - End - #23

SamuraiGuy

Lorran Springway
    V. Human (Moon) Druid 3

Lorran slowly nods. "That sounds like a decent plan for today. I know we represent different factions, but we all seem to be committed to this common purpose. I am glad to be on this venture with you all." He pauses a beat, then continues, "Unless someone else needs my help, I think I will forage outside of town for today. Maybe meet some hunters, as Albrecht suggests, while I get a feel for this place."
    Last edited by Continental Op; 2021-02-22 at 07:59 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Albrecht nodded, "Sounds fair," he clapped a hand on the half orc's shoulder and squeezed it, "looks like that's you and me to get the forge up and running m'lady." With that he turned to prepare for the day, retrieving his mail armor, and placing it over his hauberk. He draped a tabbard across his chest, emblazoned with the sigil of Lord of the North Winds, clasped his cloak with a brooch that was a well crafted gauntlet in silver.

He then held the door for the broad shouldered mercenary. "Shall we?"

Show
    OOC: I'll use Persuasion to small talk and get gossip while we supply the forge, and inform folks we're open for business, (1d20+5)[22]. I do have a question, how common, integrated are half orcs? Albrecht wouldn't because he is a paladin who judges people by their actions and deeds, but is there a racial dislike for people born with orc blood?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Mari Yveltin
    Active Effects:
    Active Conditions:
    Concentration:

As the others put the plan together, Mari settled to withdraw some and watch while continuing to sip at her tea, and at the end of it with everyone taking an active role in advancing their mission, Mari resigned to do the same as she rushed back up stairs herself. Brushing out and down her tangled mat of bed hair and getting dressed into something more than a night gown, Mari appraised herself in the bathroom mirror for a moment before grinning softly and rushing out to grab the last of her affects. When that was all in order, Mari raced down stairs eager to get a start on the day, see the town, and talk with the folk.

"I'll be swinging by the local temple before wandering the streets and tavern," Mari called back into the shop before setting off towards town, intent on asking about to find her way to the closest temple if one was around.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Korzin

Korzin pauses and stares quizzically for a moment at Albrecht for the use of "m'lady", then shrugs and turns her attention to the half-cold remains of last night's bacon in the pan, mopping up fat with a heel of bread. At the mention of "Lady Korzin" she starts to laugh, which quickly turns into a coughing fit that sprays dripping-soaked crumbs across the stove top.

"Yep, real lady-like... that's me alright," she says once she manages to recover. Swallowing the last of her breakfast Korzin lets out a satisfied belch and wipes her mouth on the back of her hand. "Friendly word of advice: I'm 'Korzin', not 'milday', okay? Just let put me on my finest dress, paints, and powders, and grab my fanciest parasol before we head out," she says, a half-amused half-mocking smile on her face, and she heads to the bedrooms upstairs.

Korzin returns a few minutes later, the leather smith's apron replaced with a hauberk of shining chain mail over a padded coat, a round shield slung at her back, and a finely crafted warhammer in a belt loop complementing the handaxes on her opposite hip. "Ready when you are," Korzin says, then nods to Dernin and the others. "See you at the tavern around sundown, if not sooner."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Dernin Greesh
    Active Effects:
    Active Conditions:
    Concentration:

Having traveled with Korzin on a few occasions, Dernin also gets a chuckle out of "Lady Korzin". With an extremely exaggerated bow, Dernin says, "It is a pleasure to serve you once again my lady, I will endeavor to find flowers and perfumes to your liking while I am out today." And then he beats a hasty retreat before Korzin can get within striking range.

Once on the streets, a change comes over Dernin. He keeps a pleasant smile plastered on his face, but his mind enters business mode. As a mercenary who is not to picky in his clientele, Dernin has picked up many of the signs and symbols of the organized crime guilds on the Sword Coast. He makes his way to the central market, always a hotspot for illicit activities.

The market is busy with early morning activity, traders, craftsmen and families gathering the goods needed for the days work. And, as Dernin notices, a few cutpurses. These are rank amateurs, obviously not interested in any products on sale, and only focusing on big spenders with low security. Dernin observes for a few minutes, trying to find the most incompetent of the lot. He settles on a teenager, no more than fourteen years old. Short, under nourished with dirty blond hair, the kid has his eyes set on a trader in a green dress, with a rather large coin purse. She looks like an easy mark, but the kid fails to see the bodyguard keeping his distance, an obvious trap.

Dernin sees the kid making his move, and Dernin springs into action. As the kid draws his small knife, Dernin draws his, and presses the hilt into the kids back, turning him away from from the lady in the dress, and towards a nearby alley way.

"Toby! Aunt Precilla sent me to come find you! Didn't she tell you not to come to the market without your shopping list? Dernin said to the kid, which to the ears of a trained thief conveyed the message I am in the guild, you almost fell into a trap.

Startled, the kid responded in a shaky voice, struggling to find the right words, "Ohh, umm it's good to see you. When did you get into town?" Who are you and what do you want?

"I have just arrived, and plan to stay for a while, I was hoping to pay my respects to Aunt Precilla, but I don't know what she needs. I was hoping to find someone who could help me find a gift for her." I need information and can either trade or pay, who do I talk to?

"I think she was running low on her pain medication, you should talk to the herbalist and see if he has her medication ready. You could spring for the top shelf stuff if you really want to impress her." Go to the herbalist, ask for a supreme healing potion.

"Thanks kid, be safe out there."

And with that Dernin disengages with the teenager, and melds into the crowd, making his way to the herbalist shop. He finds the "Chamomile Chemist". Its a fairly well kept up two story building with an herb garden outside. Dernin checked the windows to make sure the store was relatively empty, and entered. A half-elf of underminable gender works absentmindedly behind the desk, polishing vials, and organizing a rack of finished potions. "Greetings friend, what can I help you find?" "I am in dire need of healing, a supreme healing potion is what I require." The proprietor eyes him shrewdly, but seems to like what he sees, and points down the hallway "Second door on the left."

Dernin heads down the hallway, finds the second door, and opens it. The stairway descends down almost two floors and ends at a much thicker wooden door with copper supports. He knocks twice, then four times, then once more. From behind the door he can hear several locks opening, and the door swings open. Several figures sit around a table in the center of a large cellar like room. Dozens of barrels and boxes line the dark room. "Ladies and gentlemen, Dernin Greesh, member in good standing. If you don't mind, I have some new companions I would like to impress, and would like to get straight to business. Seen or heard of some missing dwarves lately?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Mari Yveltin
    Active Effects:
    Active Conditions:
    Concentration:

Out in the bright morning light, Mari was quickly forced to shield her eyes as they struggled to adjust. When she could see again Mari started along the road into the town proper at a jog, eager to get underway on the mission. She passed by the homes and few shops the village bore along the main street in her search for the temple, finding her target in the shape of an almost surprisingly modest building at the far end of town. It may have been about the largest building in the village, but certainly wasn't built much beyond the last with plain glass windows and a old weathered bell in the small steeple.

"Ah, welcome, welcome to our humble temple," an elderly voice greeted her as Mari stepped through the doors. "Are you here for a blessing little one, or perhaps you'd wish to join me in prayer?"

"Neither I'm afraid sir, you see I'm in a bit of a hurry, there's this group of-"

"Too much a hurry for a simple prayer? You are a cleric as well are you not?"

"How did you know?"

"Spend enough time in one of these temples, and you start to recognize some similarities when it comes to adventurers and what kind they are." The elderly priest elaborated though he was tapping his chest with a finger while giving Mari a coy smile. Confused, Mari looked down to see her holy symbol resting on the outside of her armor, the brighter silver standing out against the much duller grey of her scale mail. "My name is Franklin," the man added with a chuckle. "Now why don't you join me for that prayer and we'll talk follower of... Is that Kelemvor's symbol?"

"Y-yeah? That's not a problem, is it?"

"Oh no little one, at least not in here. The acolytes and myself are well aware that Kelemvor is not a force of evil invoking death, but some of the locals might be a bit less accepting. You might wish to hide that, lest the wrong ideas form," Franklin added as he settled in front of the one of the numerous shrines. Mari soon joined him, positioning her own symbol up on the alter when an obvious shrine to Kelemvor wasn't visible, and started praying next to Franklin. A short while later, Franklin clasped his hands together loudly. "There we are, now then my fellow disciple, what was it you were looking for?"

"Well, there may have been a group of dwarves who came through here not too long ago and I was wondering if you'd seen them?" Mari asked plainly as she finished up her own prayers.

Franklin's hand clasped the bottom of his chin as he pondered. "I do recall some dwarves coming to the temple asking for a blessing before setting off, but they didn't mention where they were going or when they would be back. I'm afraid that is all I know."

"Oh, well thanks anyways Franklin, I'd best be off then."

"Take care little one and may the gods light your path. Just remember to take your time upon it," he said with another small chuckle before seeing Mari out of the temple.

Take my time, Mari mused to herself as she started away from the temple. Rather than run this time though, Mari decided to humor the old disciple and settled on a leisurely pace back towards the tavern, pulling her Ocarina from its case and settling in to playing a simple tune on her way.

29. - Top - End - #29

SamuraiGuy

Lorran Springway
    V. Human (Moon) Druid 3

Lorran finished breakfast, enjoying one last berry. He then cleared the table and cleaned up the dishes, watching the day unfold through the window. Itching to get out, he belted on his scimitar, slung his pack on his back, and headed out.

Lorran took a slow turn outside the house, looking for any sort of hill or ridge that would provide a vantage to see the surrounding area. Spotting a likely place, Lorran stepped off the road and headed into the wilderness. His pace was not fast, and he stopped frequently to examine some the flora. He found some wild garlic and stinging nettle near the village, the garlic probably planted by a previous villager. He could see the outline of a nearby homestead, now just a depression in the soil.

His pace was not fast, but he could keep it up all day. Later on, once into the lighter woods surrounding the village, he found some borrage. "Ah, now this can be useful," he remarked to himself. He gathered some, taking care to leave enough for the bees to make more. But so far he had not seen much sign of wildlife. This village is too small to have such a wide effect on the local fauna, he thought.

About mid-day, he reached the crest of a hill several miles away and got a partial view of the land. It was a beautiful, clear day, and he could see much of the surrounding valley. Nothing seemed amiss, and he took in the view and the sunshine while he snacked on a light repast from his pack.

On his way back, he came across some tracks in the woods, two humanoids. One larger and heavier, the other small and lighter. "A dwarf and an elf?" He increased his pace, and in an hour caught up to his quarry. Not a dwarf and an elf; that was just his wishful imagination. It was a human man and his son, hunters by their looks, carrying a dear they had killed back to the village. He stopped. Quickly setting aside his disappointment, Lorran called to them. "Ho, there! Well met on this fine day, and congratulations on your catch."

"Ah, well met to you," the father returned. He set down the carcass, looked at Lorran, and asked "You are not familiar to me. What brings you out here? Odd way to travel across country, if that be your aim."

Lorran smiled. "Yes, I am a traveler, but hopefully not for long. I and my friends hope to restart the smithy in the village. Since that is not my calling, I thought I would have a nice walk, enjoy the weather, and see what I could find."

"Ah," said the father. "The smithy, you say? Well, that will be good for the village."

""We hope so," Lorran agreed. "But you must be used to travelers in the village, yes? Being on the crossroads especially."

"Yes, we see our share. But many simply pass through, not staying for enough time to spit."

"Yes, it will be interesting to meet the travelers. Some interesting folk, I expect. Like your tracks - when I saw you footprints, I took you to be a dwarf and elf travelling together. Not something you see every day, that, so I was excited to meet you."

The father looked at Lorran a little oddly. "No, can't say I've seen that in a month of Sundays." The son could contain himself no longer. "Yes we did, Da, don't you remember? There were a few dwarves and an elf lady with them. In the village, not too long ago now." "Well, maybe son." The father responded. "I don't recall."

Lorran cocked his head at that, but nodded and spoke to the son, "You don't say? Any idea what happened to them?"

The son shook his head, "Passed through, I think, but I only saw them the once." "We don't spend too much time in the village these days, game taking longer to find," the father explained to Lorran.

Lorran nodded and shrugged. "Well, I won't keep you any more. I expect I will see you back at the village. My name is Lorran."

The father replied, "I'm Saglund, and this here's Rory." He looked at the sky, "C'mon son, we have a warm dinner waiting for us at home a lot of work yet." The son, Rory, waived at Lorran started walking with his father.

Lorran did some more foraging, but he did not find much else. Thinking of dinner himself, he turned and headed for the village as well, making sure to take a different path from Saglund and his son.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The sun is in the midst of setting when the group gathers at the Dran and Courtier. There is little in the way of a crowd as there is no caravan passing through. A few locals gathered in small huddled groups keep to themselves and talk over their pints.

Pushing two tables together gives you a good meeting spot in one of the dark smoky corners. The town may be a small, unwalled out of the way spot, but the people love to gossip, and a missing delegation is very newsworthy.

First Airoch and Korzin can tell the group about a local shepherd named Larmon Greenboot the spook to at Gaelkur's used tool and goods shop. The middle-aged man spoke of freshly dug graves he found in the Sumber Hills. Dernin reports that there was a group of dwarves who came through Red Larch. A search party sent out to follow the path the delegation was to take, but reached a dead end when they reached Red Larch and the delegation having failed to. So those dwarves were heard to be heading back to Mirabar, retracing their steps. Mari rooted out almost every other rumor the town seemed to be talking about before the missing delegation, which included; marauders bringing destruction, monsters preying on flocks, and attacking homesteads and settlers, discord and suspicions growing in every town, and the unseasonably warm and stormy spring that brought tales of everything from flooding, wildfires, and windstorms to tremors in the hills. Lorran got the lay of the land, as well as the location of two landmarks from an elven ranger named Fen as he explored the area.

Show
    Put a map in post #2 that I can upgrade as we play.
    Last edited by jcb2772; 2021-02-25 at 06:01 PM.