The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 267
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Millie smiles at Nithras, nodding to her friend. The Curse Eater takes a step back as those first chords of the qinqin sound, letting the crowd focus on the approachable local man. She taps hard leather boots against the ground in time to the beat; a very mundane accompaniment but it's hard for her not to be moved a little by such potent music.

    Still, her eyes remain fixed on the magistrate and his constables. Always best to be thinking a little ahead. Just in case.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Rem holds her hands out gently as she reels just a little at the yellling from Ji and Po. Godhood or not, confidence was something that she needed to build up over time, it seems. "I'd just rather not... see either of you be bruised, more than your feelings." She looks at Qotho and gathers his point quietly, nodding as he points out they haven't drawn blades over it... and hopefully they won't. She's not certain if they would have gotten to that point, though the way no one intervened was curious. But as he leaves... well...

    Was it just that common a thing between them, like an everyday sight?

    "It is as Mister Shen says," she gestures to her comrade as he says he'll go on ahead. She doesn't realise Shen's trying to pry to their past. "You said something about a schedule. Was something mixed up between who should meet someone?"

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Theoboldi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Millie and Nithrias

    As Nithrias makes his entrance, all noise on the plaza dies down, as if in shock over his audacity. Scholars and guards alike look at one another, unsure of what to make of this strange man, and the families freeze up with worry.

    "What are you do-" is all that the magistrate manages to say before the music begins, filling the air with an air of understanding and enlightenment. Men and women alike stand as if entranced by your playing, and even the constables do not dare approach you without a word from their master.

    He, meanwhile, quietly listens to your words, stone-faced at first but looking increasingly dour and saddened. Tears begin welling up at the corners of his eyes, and before too long he has to blow his nose and wipe his face. "It is not fair!" he manages to cry out, tormented by his new emotions. "To be torn between two duties!"

    It is then that your song is suddenly interrupted. From the other side of the plaza, cries ring out at the shop-fronts. You turn to look, quickly realizing the source of everyone's fear as you spot it in the sky. A figure, wreathed in billowing black smoke rapidly descends from above, leaving vast plumes of the shimmering fog behind it. It impacts on the ground with an audible smack, seemingly crash-landing, but gets back up onto its feet without a moment's pause.

    Now that you can see it more clearly, the figure appears to be a young woman dressed in a white robe, her form constantly fading and reforming. Her mouth is opened as if in a scream, yet only more smoke escapes it. She begins to stagger forward, though with some effort.

    Among the bystanders, panic has broken out. Everyone is starting to run away, too afraid to confront such an obviously supernatural being. Though the magistrate is still too emotional to think clearly, his guards begin ushering him back into the Yamen.




    Rem, Qotho and Shen

    Spoiler: Shen
    Show

    Using your temporal powers, you take a peek into the not so distant past, only a couple of minutes back.

    You are at the marketplace. Ji is there, sitting down at one of winehouses. For a couple of copper qians, a server fetches him a bowl of rice and a cup of wine. He is relaxing, enjoying his meal, when Po suddenly approaches from behind him.

    "Ji, I've heard you're watching the slaves tonight." the portly man says, causing Ji's brows to furrow and his lips to grow thin.

    "It's my turn. What's it to you?" he asks, oddly harshly.

    However, Oxhead Po does not seem to be taken aback. "Well, you don't have to do it anymore. I volunteered for the shift. So you can relax."

    At this, Ji jumps out of his seat. "Are you dumb or something? It's my turn! Why are you going around doing the work of others?" he growls.

    "Don't be so mad! Besides, I have my reasons. You don't like spending your time with the slaves anyways, so why don't you go to Mother Hao's toni-" Po does not get to finish his sentence, as at this point Ji flings his bowl of rice into the man's face. Angered, Po grips his face and announces "You'll pay for that!" before throwing a punch that Ji easily avoids.

    After this, the two men rush into one another and begin the brawl that you witnessed earlier.



    Ji stares down Qotho, seemingly unafraid of the warrior before him. In his eyes, you see a kind of intensity, and before long you realize that he is tempering his anger in order to size you up. Compared to Po, who just stands by and looks uncertain, he seems to be the more competent by far.

    "You're lucky, Toban. You're an outsider, so I can overlook your ignorance this time. Especially since you're right, this is not your quarrel!" He turns to look at Rem and Shen for a moment, then just annoyedly grunts. "I'm done here. Po, we'll discuss this later!" With those words to the fellow hooligan, he turns around and marches off, annoyingly enough right in the direction of Old Father Lu's.

    Po looks after him, appearing rather dejected. "Well...." he begins, slowly turning to your group. "Maybe you can help me. Ji's supposed to be on guard duty tonight, and I really need to take his place. But you saw how he is..."
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

    You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Rem sags a little, wings deflating under her hood as Ji stomps off in anger. "Well, hopefully time will make cooler heads prevail..." before blinking as she listens to Po's request of them. "Guard duty? I didn't know this quarrel was for an important task like that... did you want to have him take the night off?" she smiles a little, perhaps assuming things too innocuous and nice right away. "Or was there another reason?"

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2018

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Ji seems awfully angry, doesn't he? Shen thought to himself, as his thoughts synchronized back with the present. Shen glanced at Rem at his side, and shook his head. "Somehow, I doubt that. Ji seems awfully quick to anger."

    "Tell me, Po, why do you want to take that shift? It isn't for extra money, is it?"

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    "Name of the One!" Millie bellows as the crowd begins to scatter. Five minutes. They've not even been in Gongfang five minutes and strange magical beings start falling from the sky!

    The Curse Eater's eyes take in the scene rapidly. The constables are focusing on the magistrate. The villagers are panicking. The smoke-woman is getting closer. Millie takes a step forward, planting herself right in the stranger's path. She raises her rifle, looking into the strange being's eyes. Millie's gut twists a little as she notes the white robes, glancing back at the fleeing scholars in similar garb. A bad sign... but could be nothing. She's too used to having to think things through, investigate, put together clues. For now she has to stop this.

    With a gesture, Millie places the rifle to one side, letting it hang in the air beside her for a moment. Returning to her target, she makes a few simple gestures . As she concentrates a golden circle begins to form upon the ground around her. Old runic script, echoing some ancient design of long forgotten Heaven, scrawls out around the Curse Eater as a powerful light suffuses the scene. Millie calls out to the smoke-woman, voice crisp and clear. "In the name of the Black Academies and by the power invested in me by the Raktine Confederacy..."

    A wave of her hand brings the light suffusing the circle outward: a golden wave rushes across the street towards the smoke-woman. Millie's stare is intense, her focus locked onto the target. Raw energy is not enough to take magic apart. It takes focus, direction and concerted effort to find the weaknesses of a spell. Against Theurgy... well, for a mortal that would be near impossible. Even with this power, it will be far from easy.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Gonna commit 1 effort for the scene to immediately cast Sunder the Lesser Spell: might be Millie's PoV talking here but given the whole 'woman in white robes' thing and the scholars all being in white robes, I think we've found what they're all afraid of, and Millie's gonna try and undo... whatever this is.

    If Smoke Lady's more of an angry spirit back for revenge then this will probably do... nothing. So fifty fifty. Still at least going flashy makes Millie an obvious target for it rather than the villagers or magistrate.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Theoboldi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Millie and Nithrias

    People all around scream as Millie prepares her spell, afraid to get caught in the blast zone of some horrible sorcery. They flee blindly, almost stumbling over each other. Still, it is not enough to disrupt the sorceress' concentration, neither is the pain that she feels from sending the eldritch energies so quickly through her own body.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Since you did cast the spell immediately, Millie takes [roll0] damage. Remember that this is not straight damage, and should be compared to the damage chart.


    Indeed, as Millie suspected, this being is a result of sorcery. She can feel the theurgic patterns, shifting and wavering beneath her arcane grasp, and lines of mystic energy are revealed to her. And as she pushes to dispel these powers, for a moment, the smoke erupting from the woman's mouth ceases, and the air clears slightly around her.

    "LIIIIIII!" she howls, her voice a wail of pure misery and pain. "XIAO! XIAO DID THIS TO ME!!!"

    Then, smoke bellows forth from within her once again, and Millie feels her grip on the theurgic energies fading. It seems that whatever horrid transformation befell this woman, it has been woven too strongly into her form to be dispelled by a Theurgy of the way. At least you learned something, however, and avoided further damage from your spell.

    As she continues to stumble forward, Nithrias still has a chance to do something about it.




    Rem, Qotho and Shen

    "No! I mean, yes! Uh..." Po mumbles, perhaps not having expected such swift interest from you. "I do have a pretty important reason. But, let's not talk about it here. Let's head over into that alley first." He points to a narrow street between two buildings, before quickly rushing over there. Unable to spot any sort of threat in his words or the area, and realizing that he's unlikely to talk out in the open, you see no reason not to follow him.

    Once you arrive, he takes a quick look around, then finally begins with a short sigh. "Sorry to be so secretive, but nobody else can know about this. Me and Ji work for Big Feet Zu."

    Spoiler: Shen and Qotho
    Show
    Immediately, the name raises some alarms for you. You've never personally crossed paths with him, but from what you know he is a nominal 'Rice Broker' with strong ties to the criminal underworld. His dealings are a very open secret indeed, though none would dare and confront him about them.


    "He's a pretty rich guy, and trades in slaves sometimes. Tonight, Ji was supposed to watch the new batch, but...." Po suddenly looks down, wringing his hands nervously. "Well, there's this girl with them, Ming. I know her from my home village, and I just can't stand to see something happen to her. This might be my only chance, so tonight I want to take guard duty and run away with her."

    He looks at you pleadingly, with big eyes. It would be almost adorable if it did not make him look quite so pathetic.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

    You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Qotho, Horde-born Warrior of the Toba Plains

    Qotho only grunted as Po relayed his motivations, "Surely you understand that if you switch your place on the roster with Ji, then disappear with Ming, Zu will know who is responsible. Zu is not a man to be trifled with, I've seen him cut off a rival's manhood, stuff it in his mouth, and sew it shut." He turned his back and stroked his chin, "Tell you what Po, I'll help you out. Seeing as your plan is likely to get you and Ming killed in the most cruelly, imaginative of ways. You tell me where the slaves are being held, and I'll bring Ming to you, should she so desire."

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Rem covers her mouth for a moment as she realises what Ji and Po have duties under. She frowns quietly; whilst she was not technically a "slave", her time underneath the mistress was effectively that in all but name. "Yes, I would wish to see the both of you safe. I won't stand by and let this happen while there are people suffering."

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2018

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Shen remained silent, as he considered what to do with this. Po seemed like a decent enough person, working for someone that Shen knew was not exactly the best person. He quietly pondered how to proceed, and once Rem and Qotho had given their support, he finally spoke up.

    "I will help, on one condition: After this is done, you will live out an honest life. No more working for men like Zu. Understood?"

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Triangle, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Nithrias throws himself between Millie and the specter, palm thrust out.

    "Quell your rage, spirit," he says, calmly but firmly, "threaten these people no longer or I will be forced to destroy you."

    Spoiler
    Show
    That's a uh. I don't know? Charisma check? And I guess starting combat if it doesn't work.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Theoboldi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Millie and Nithrias

    The woman, it seems, either cannot understand what Nithrias is saying or simply doesn't care. She continues moving forward, arms stretched out in a desperate grasping motion. Suddenly, she accelerates, her feet lifting off the ground and her body being shot forwards. Her trajectory takes her towards the now closed yamen gates.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Aaaaand we're gonna start a combat here. You may both take actions at this point.




    Rem, Qotho and Shen

    "Whoa, wait!" Po exclaims, raising his hands in shock. "You're not really thinking of messing with Zu, are you? I know it's dangerous, trying to sneak away with one of his slaves, but at least I know the guards and have a plan to get outta here." Eyes wide, he gestures at your group.

    "You would have to sneak into his compound under daylight, before my shift starts. And Zu's got a small army under his command! They'd kill you in seconds!" After a few moments of panicked staring, he does however calm down enough to say "Look, I'm willing to promise whatever if you can help me out. Just don't do anything crazy."
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2019-02-09 at 12:54 PM.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

    You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    In truth, Rem doesn't know the extent of her powers. Would a small army be too much? It would be a bit presumptuous to think herself invincible, yet at the same time... she places her hand to her chest again. "It will be all right," she glances towards Qotho and Shen for a moment. "This isn't something any of us can leave well alone, I think. You have our assurance."

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2018

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    "Let me get this straight," Shen said, meeting Rem's gaze for a moment. "You have a plan to abscond with one of Zu's slaves, despite being only one person - and you didn't exactly put up a good fight against Ji. On top of that, Zu has his men, and he's definitely going to hunt you down once you're gone."

    Shen folded his arms, and turned his attention fully on Po. "I think the three of us are the best option you have. I think Qotho and I can do something about his men."
    Last edited by OutOfThyme; 2019-02-09 at 11:47 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Qotho, Horde-born Warrior of the Toba Plains

    Qotho shook his head, "Slavery is a blight upon the Dumlimbai peoples, a growing cancer which exposes their corruption and rot. A nation need not be built upon the broken backs of the conquered, but within the hearts and minds of it's peoples." He spat emphatically as he finished, "Even before," he stopped himself short of mentioning the events that split the world, revealing their destiny to them, "I was an outlaw, I was a warrior of the Toban Plains. We need not fight any army of Zu's men, when we bring him the most precious slave he has ever had reason to lay eyes upon."

    He smiled at Rem, a plan beginning to take shape behind his fiery eyes.

    OOC: My plan at this point is to reveal to Ji, Rem's wings and to have him carry the message to Zu that we are looking to sell such an exotic slave. This arranges a meeting, and hopefully we can set all this up prior to the evening in which Ji wishes to escape with his lover. Thoughts? Opinions?

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    "Halt! I order you to... oh, forget it."

    If this curse won't break even for sorcery and this thing is willing to attack the magistrate... well, it's regrettable but it's time to be direct. With a grim look in her eyes, Millie follows the smoke-creature, rifle ready and true. Multiple crisp reports echo out across the square, with a faint fizzle of arcane energy as new magical circles start to rise around the firearm. Mystical targetting aides. With their assistance, Millie couldn't hope to miss outright.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    (1d20+4)[14] Attack. (also + whatever AC this thing is)
    (1d10+3)[4] Damage
    (1d8)[6] Fray damage. Commit Effort for Wizard's Wrath to guarantee it's a valid target.

    Also brief note, Millie's intent was to Cast Quickly not Cast Instantly. There's not much of a difference when using a base level Invocation, but IIRC I'd have to commit effort for the day to cast instantly whereas quickly just commits it for the scene. (and doesn't require a damage roll unless it's actually successfully dispelling Theurgy.)

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    "Sneaking in under the pretense of bringing a slave? That would definitely be a good story, but where would we get one?" Rem asks of Qotho, completely missing the bird going 'whoosh' straight over her head.

    A pause.

    "Oh... I'm it, aren't I," Rem sags for a moment.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Qotho, Horde-born Warrior of the Toba Plains

    Qotho took a small step forward, cupping Rem's delicate chin under his thumb, and tilting her head up. "Princess, you are the one who wished to minister to the poor, the unwashed, and the downtrodden. Believe me, there is nothing more wretched on this earth, than the plight of those who find them selves in chains, and whose flesh is traded for coin." His eyes were deep and dark, however there was true concern, true caring when he spoke of slaves and their plight.

    "Zu will not harm you, for, to do so, he will need to come through Shen and I. Should he, or his men, raise arms against us, his head will be affixed to my saddle by his own hair before morning."

    And suddenly the caring in his eyes was gone, replaced by cold, callous violence.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Rem shies away a moment after Qotho holds her chin again, sighing to say, "I get it, I get it... you don't have to treat me like a child, okay? I'm not a warrior like you or Shen, but it isn't like I don't intend to sit back and do nothing."

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Theoboldi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Millie and Nithrias

    Millie fires a single bullet from her rifle, an expertly aimed shot that would have put all of her prior efforts to shame. The projectile travels directly towards the woman's head, guided perhaps as much by divine will as it is by physical capability.

    Its target does not even make an effort to dodge. Before the dull thud of the magnetic rifle's firing mechanism has fully rung out, a thin, whispy-black bullet hole has been left in the woman's head. At first, she does not even seem to realize what has just happened. Then, her features distort into a scream for just a moment, before just as suddenly as she arrived, her form destabilizes and she explodes in a massive burst of reeking black smog. It washes over you, crossing almost the entire plaza before dissipating into nothing, leaving dark stains that stink of rotten eggs everywhere it passes.

    Then, there is silence. All that remains of the woman is her stained robe, and a few pieces of black hair.

    Frightened eyes view you from the corners of the plaza. The doors to the Yamen stand closed. This may be a prime opportunity to take the initiative, depending on what you wish to do.




    Rem, Qotho and Shen

    "Hang on..." Po says, nervously shuffling in place. "You guys sound pretty serious when you say stuff like that. You're not rebels, are you? Like, you're not with.....you know, the Golden Lord, are you?" There is a distinct hint of fear in how the thug's voice wavers as he speaks that name. None of you have heard of it before, however.

    Quickly, however, Po shakes his head. "Oh, never mind. I'm not going to throw away your help even so. Probably suits me if you've got something against Zu, anyways. His estate is on a hill just a mile out of town. I can lead you there, if you want. It sounds like you've really got this figured out already." Somehow, you get the feeling that Po is very glad he did not have to do any further thinking of his own.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Millie sighs as she watches the woman's insubstantial form dissipate. Less blood perhaps than she is used to, hunting monsters and twisted creatures of the Raktine. But the feeling of this moment is all too familiar. Even the best Curse Eater couldn't lift every enchantment, can't bring back those fallen to poison or diseases like the Hollowing Plague that turn the dead against the living. Sometimes a quick and merciful end is the best you can offer.

    All the same, she can't quite shake the image of Rem looking at her, with those eyes of hers... and it brings a chill down the huntress' spine. Millie looks down at the fallen robe, the slight tangle of black hair before placing a hand to her forehead, visualizing the screaming woman that'd fallen to the ground before them. I have all this power now.. and death is the best I can do? Maker's Grace, she's bad at this. If only Rem or Zhou had been here...

    There's no sense crying for the past. Instead, Millie steps forward, taking a knee before the spot where the smoke-woman had fallen to the ground. She gently picks up the robe by its corner, running her fingers along it. She looks up, and back to Nithras. "I'll give her a last prayer, if you've got no objection. We can bring the matter to the local priesthood once we're done here, see that she's given a proper service in your way, but I'd rather not take chances. This was a mortal soul, tormented by twisted magic, dying in fear and despair. We must ensure she does not fall to Hell."

    She's no true priest, but it's hardly the first time Millie's had to offer the last rites since she was initiated as a Curse Eater. Unless her Dulambian friend has some objection, Millie turns her attention to the onlookers. "You lot! Did anyone recognize that woman?" She raises an eyebrow as her gaze turns over the scholars in the audience. It's rather apparent now just why they'd all been so uneasy about their 'education'.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Rem looks blankly to Po and shakes her head. "No, sorry, I don't know who the Golden Lord is. But if you're willing to lead us there, that does sound good." A furrowed brow as she thinks for a moment, for some reason, about Millie. And about Nithrias as well. It'd be good to have their company for what she believes would be a fairly large undertaking... shouldn't they be sticking together?

    "Should we find Millie and Nithrias before we proceed? I'd feel easier knowing we were all gathered together before we undertook anything large. And I'm worried if they may have run into trouble of their own, or perhaps have learned something from the Magistrate's."

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Apr 2018

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    The Golden Lord? That couldn't be what we saw, right?

    Shen shakes away his idle thoughts, and nods in agreement with Rem. "I agree with Rem. We should find the others. Po, we can meet back with you within the next hour or so."

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Triangle, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Nithrias' body had suddenly tensed as the wraith woman attacked. What had been a figure of serenity had shifted in an instant into a mighty beast ready to strike, muscles tightening and the air around him practically thruming with ancient, noble power.

    Then Millie fired, the wraith dissipated, and all the tension vanished. Nithrias looked slightly sad at the woman's fate, but was as peaceful and serene as he had ever been.

    "Of course my friend," he says to Millie's offer, "your kindness towards this tortured soul is appreciated."

    When she starts shouting, he simply offers a beatific smile.

    "If you would answer her please, it would be appreciated."

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Theoboldi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Millie and Nithrias

    Spoiler: Nithrias
    Show
    Unlike Millie, who is less familiar with Dulimbaian customs, you are well aware that burial customs and the protection of deceased souls are performed by the families of the dead, rather than the priesthoods. Dulimbaian ancestor priests are mostly called upon to aid those who died without families and those who require greater spiritual protection.


    The men and women of Gongfang stand shocked, too frightened at first to answer Millie's request. Most of them are still hiding behind various objects or inside houses, with only a few foolhardy enough to even try and get a look at the aftermath of the smoke woman's death. Even Nithrias calming smile can't seem to move any of them to talk.

    You are about to give up and move on, when finally, one young man steps forward. He is not one of the scholars and dressed in simple, dirty peasant's garb rather than pristine white robes. Though he attempts to look stoic, you see tears running down his face and as he talks his voice wavers. "T-That was Fei L-Lan! She's m-my sister, and was s-sent to study with Real Man Xiao two m-month ago. Please-!" His voice cracks as he drops onto his knees, quickly bowing to you. "-let me have her robe so we may bury her, honorable strangers! She wouldn't have attacked you out of cruelty, I am sure of it!"




    Rem, Qotho and Shen

    Po tilts his head a little as Rem reveals that she does not know of the Golden Lord, his eyes betraying a profound lack of understanding. "Best not to speak of him then, I guess. I dunno who he's supposed to be, but I've heard his followers are very dangerous. They wiped out a whole crew a week ago."

    You notice him staring off into a distance for a second, his thoughts drifting, but then he quickly gets back on track. "Right, well, I'll get ready to bring you to the manor, then. If there's anything else you want to get done, best hurry. It's a good idea to bring some friends, in any case. Beating Zu with just the three of you I can't see happening." With that, he begins to turn away and head off, ready to leave you to your own devices.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'll give Zero some time to respond here in case there's more questions he wants to ask. Otherwise, feel free to state where you are going next and I'll get you there as soon as possible.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

    You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground
     
    HalflingWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2013

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    "Very well. Give me a moment."

    Millie takes a knee, briefly lowering the robe to the earth. She closes her eyes, before slowly reciting a verse in Pelagic, "In the name of the Creator of the universe and father of us all, Fei Lan of Gongfang, may your soul sleep softly in the ground until the day that the One returns to us and Heaven is restored to glory. So may it be."

    Clasping her hands in a final invocation of her absent god's authority, Millie rises back to her feet, handing the white robe to the victim's brother. With an effort, she looks him in the eyes, nodding solemnly, "There. You have my condolences. And my word that Xiao will suffer for what he's done."

    Millie watches him go with a frown. This doesn't get easier. She sighs to herself, "So. The magistrate is sending people to a renowned sage. And they come back like that." Her words are carefully measured. Letting emotions interfere in your work and your approach to the hunt is a mistake. But as of now, as far as Millie's concerned, the hunt has begun. All that remains to do is find a way to get paid for it. She sighs, looking at the brother withdraw. The huntress doesn't turn to Nithras, knowing the Dragon is there and listening well enough. "Even with Theurgy I couldn't undo that enchantment. 'Real Man' or no, Xiao must be strong. Do you think you could convince the magistrate to explain why he's been condemning his citizens to the curses of a mad sorcerer?"

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Triangle, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    "We will see," says Nithrias. He strides up to the yamen. Anyone who stands in his way receives a disapproving glare.

    "Magistrate, we must speak of the fate of your people," he says, "and the actions of Real Man Xiao."

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Theoboldi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Millie and Nithrias

    Spoiler: Millie
    Show
    As you finish your prayer, for a moment an odd feeling of relief passes through you. It is as though a grand and horrible fear has been lifted off of you, even though you've been scared by anything of that sort. Bizarrely, that relief appears to have been somebody else's, and when it passes just as quickly as it came to you, you are left feeling ever so slightly bolstered.

    Somehow, you feel certain that Fei Lan's lost spirit has been saved.


    Fei Lan's brother hastily rises from his kneeling position, hastily grabbing the robe from Millie's hands. Whispering one last "Thank you! Thank you, kind strangers."he then swiftly turns around and runs off, clearly unwilling to stay in this place even a second longer. Though quite a few people throw curious and awed glances from afar, none of them seem courageous enough to walk up and speak to you.

    As such, nobody gets in Nithrias' way as he steps up to the closed yamen doors, and with his clear, loud voice demands to see the magistrate. At first, only silence greets, but after a few seconds of waiting a thin latch opens up on the gates, allowing a constable to peer through. "The monster is gone? Did you kill it?" His eyes glance about, and before you have much time to answer, he speaks again. "Phew, looks like you did. I will report back to the magistrate. If he is willing, he will see you soon." With that, the latch is closed again, and you are left to wait for another answer.




    Rem, Qotho and Shen

    With nothing else being asked of him, Po wanders off. As he turns a corner, he stops and yells"We'll meet here again in an hour!" one last time before leaving your sight. He still sounds a little nervous about the whole affair, but you doubt it will stop him from going along with your plans.

    Knowing that you might need your full numbers for this, you then head towards the Yamen where Millie and Nithrias went earlier. Luckily, seeing as it is the largest building in town, you can find your way pretty easily, and within only a couple of minutes have made your way there.

    As you walk, however, you cannot help but notice some strange going-ons. Several bystanders loudly talk of a ghost woman who attacked the magistrate, and two heroic sorcerers who slayed it with foreign weapons.

    "She had one of those rifles, from the bright republic! Just like on the dolls that merchant sells!"

    "It just happened. My sister was there, and she says the spirit was as big as a building!"

    "He sang better than any junzi! Surely such capable individuals must have been sent by the emperor!"

    At one point, a man carrying a white robe almost runs into your group, his vision blurred from tears that are running down his face. You hear him sob a quick apology as he swiftly moves past you, apparently rushing to get somewhere.




    Everyone

    Rem, Qotho and Shen arrive to an odd sight. The plaza is almost entirely deserted, only a few curious bystanders gathering at its corners, though more are arriving by the second. The entire floor of the area, as well as most walls and objects are covered with thick black stains, and a faint stink of rot hangs in the air.

    Millie and Nithrias, both also covered in the same disgusting stains stand at the gates to the Yamen itself, apparently waiting for something.

    The two groups approach each other, ready to talk, when suddenly the latch on the Yamen gates opens again. From within, the voice of a different man than the one before calls out, one with a somewhat affected tone to his voice. "Capable sorcerers, Magistrate Li Shu of Gongfang bids your patience for now. He formally invites you to a modest banquet in your honor this evening, so that he may greet you with the respect that you are due."
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

    You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Merilan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Planeptune, Gamindustri
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    Rem's eyes widen slowly as she hears about that; two heroic sorcerers? A rifle? That definitely fit the description of Millie. She nearly misses the man in the white robe, blinking a few times as she looks to him and bites her lip; "It's all right," she responds to him.

    Once they're there, however, she paces towards the plaza and looks about with a confused look on her face. She scowls just for a moment at the stench. Just what could've happened here? She spots Millie, however, hurrying to her side.

    "Millie! I'm so glad to catch up with you... oh, I suppose a lot has happened since we split at the gates. What happened here?" she furrows her brow, not looking proud of herself. "Listen, I wanted to talk to you about--" She blinks a few times as the man calls out to them, though. "Ah... this evening? That might be a bit of a problem," she murmurs as she looks back to the two.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Triangle, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [Godbound] Ten Buried Blades IC

    "I will confer with my companions to make sure this evening is most propitious for us. If we are unable to attend, I will be sure to send my apologies."

    With that, Nithrias bows and sweeps back towards the rest of the group.

    "Hello friends. We had an interesting time with an angry ghost. What have you been up to?"
    Last edited by Rokku; 2019-02-28 at 11:25 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •