Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Let's Play a Game IC

Spoiler: Araqa only
    Show
    It is within 60 feet.
    The best way to get information isn't to ask a question, it is to post the wrong information and wait for someone to correct you (often angrily).

Spoiler: Internets
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Araqa whips around to face the window. A wave of heat leaves her body as she draws a hand away from her chest, suddenly wreathed in flame.

May the wind and flame bless my aim.

With a motion like throwing a javelin, she releases two firey bolts directly at the window.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I’m using the Land-Strike Wrath mythos to attack and the Sea-of-Chi Understanding excellency to make the [External] fire mythos into an [Internal] one.

Attack roll 1: (1d20+9)[24]
    Attack roll 2: (1d20+4)[10]

3. - Top - End - #33

Chimera

A towering figure strides over the hill. Hunched and haggard, he wears naught but a pair of ragged trousers held up by a simple leather belt.

Korrog dreaded returning to civilization, but he had run out of food. At times like these, port cities were a favorite of Korrog's. They always had work requiring simple strength - which Korrog could provide in spades - and the employers rarely asked questions so long as the work was done by sunset.

As Korrog moved closer to the city, he came upon a commotion beginning in the outskirts.
    An armored man seemingly backed with a small group of undead appears to be exchanging words with a tattooed and grizzled sailor. What few words Korrog can make out do not sound friendly.

As Korrog continues to approach, the sailors, armored man, and another pair of people begin to walk towards the center of the city. Korrog is now close enough to see individuals in the crowd, many with fearful expressions on their faces as they watch the grizzled sailor pass by. A whisper in the crowd catches his ear: 'pirates'.

Fear-mongers

The dam that restrains the flowing river of his Rage begins to strain.

His thoughts shift back to previous dockyard jobs, and the tales the other laborers would tell of those dreaded pirates, who would murder entire crews just to empty the holds of the ship.

Murderers

The dam begins to crack.

His thoughts shift again to the families of those victims. How many would never see their loved ones again? How many would spend the rest of their days wondering why their son or sister or grandfather had never returned? How many families destroyed... just like his?

Monsters.

The dam bursts, and the Rage must flow.

A break in the plan, both for the pirates and the party; a crack of flame resounding through the air followed by a yelp of startled pain, as a black-painted crossbow draws away from the window meant to balance its aim.

There's also the matter of the very angry goliath currently barrelling towards everyone at breakneck speed with nothing but his bare hands: a mountain of a man, grey mottled skin adorned with the scars of past battles and standing at nearly twice the height of a man at eight feet tall. If the short flame-strike didn't draw your attention, his ogre-like stature roaring - literally - towards you, parting the remaining crowd like water before a boat, certainly does. They collectively decide that with all the commotion, it's time to scatter into the streets and alleys, and in thirty seconds there won't be a crowd any longer.

[[Roll for initiative in the rolls thread and put your totals in the OOC. Korrog and Araqa both have a surprise round to work with before turns start proper.]]
    Last edited by Defiantnight; 2019-02-11 at 09:45 AM.
    The best way to get information isn't to ask a question, it is to post the wrong information and wait for someone to correct you (often angrily).

Show

4. - Top - End - #34

Chimera

The pirates scramble and shout as the goliath charges toward them, and as a gout of flame flying in from the direction of the rapidly dispersing crowd [hits one of the leading pirates in the chest] they quickly realize today will not be going as planned; Annavaria's wits are the quickest, but the tattoo-faced man's sly and fiendishly cheery demeanor is currently offset by a calculating gaze as he looks to the buildings for any more surprises.

Show

5. - Top - End - #35

Chimera

Not quick enough, however. He seizes his opportunity by summoning a short blade from somewhere unseen on his person, but instead of attacking with it, he retreats while defensively fending off any attacks from his vulnerable position, barking an order in an unknown language to the others.

[[It's been 48 hours; Annavaria can be assumed to be using Delay until she posts here. Tattoo Face can be seen taking the Total Defense action, and seems to be especially keen on dodging Korrog's attacks, retreating thirty feet away toward the cover of a nearby alleyway, 10 feet away from him as his turn ends. Turn passes to Mordecai; anyone in the rear gets an attack of opportunity.]]
    Last edited by Defiantnight; 2019-02-14 at 11:42 AM.

Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

With a deep sigh Mordecai would unsheathe his greatsword, letting the tip rest on the ground for a moment before whirling to lay into the nearest pirate. "And I'd so hoped to resolve this without violence."

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Attack on the nearest pirate, I do damage even if I miss due to Mythos.
    So that will be an attack roll and two damage rolls in the rolls thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gildedragon View Post
    "How much to help you craft items? I'll cover the XP costs" All Lvl 15 Githyanki

7. - Top - End - #37

Chimera

What would have been a glancing blow takes the horrified pirate unawares, his guard not yet readied toward Mordecai in the few moments that have passed, and it nearly kills him outright.

[[Korrog, then Araqa, are up next, and then three of the pirates in a bundle. They're flat-footed since they haven't gone yet.
    Enemy 1 is struck for a near-deadly blow.]]
    Last edited by Defiantnight; 2019-02-14 at 05:39 PM.

Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: DM eyes
    Show

Whenever it is the Pirates turn, Sylas is going to Turn his mortal Guise off, unleashing all his natural attacks as an Immediate action.
    So that is an Intimidate roll (1d20+24)[44] vs enemies within 30ft, with imperious command. So all who are affected are cowed for the first round.
    Then, whenever it is my turn I will launch 2 Nightmare tethers into a single pirate.
    The tethers are Ranged touch, (1d20+15)[29] and (1d20+15)[28].
    The pirate gets a Will save or Grapple check vs my Intimidate (1d20+18)[36] or he becomes tethered to me. He has to make a fort save, DC=17 or I take 1 str pt per tether per round.

9. - Top - End - #39

Korrog continues his charge into battle, straight towards the tattooed pirate. Once he closes in, he grabs the man by his armor, raising him up to look him in the eye, unfazed by the pitiful attempts at defense.

"HOW MANY HAVE YOU KILLED? HOW MUCH HAVE YOU DESTROYED?"

Without giving the pirate a chance to respond, Korrog hurls the man at one of his shipmates. Korrog's attack takes the man by surprise, and he is hit full force by the 'projectile.' Both men fall to the ground in a heap, but only the tattooed man seems to be moving.

10. - Top - End - #40

Chimera

[Pirate 3 is reduced to a broken heap of cooling meat and bones from the force of the impact, removing him from the turn order. Enemies visible consist of pirates 1 and 2 nearest with 1 near death, and 4 in the lead, 4 being the one Mordecai spoke to.]

Spoiler: Sylas Only
    Show
    Noted, your immediate action will be after Araqa.

Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Araqa notes the puny amount of damage she dealt with the fire as compared to the tremendous mountain of a man now fighting alongside her. She draws her composite longbow and nocks an arrow with frightening speed. She shoots at Pirate 1, shoots, then shoots at Pirate 2.

Show
    Attack 1: (1d20+8)[10]
    Attack 2: (1d20+3)[22]
    Last edited by violet42; 2019-02-16 at 04:21 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Chimera

The first shot goes wide. [The second arrow hits pirate 2 squarely in the side; something vital must have been hit, the pirate is bloodied to the point that one more lucky shot would down him as well.]
    Last edited by Defiantnight; 2019-02-17 at 10:16 AM.

Show

13. - Top - End - #43

Chimera

[I need everyone except Sylas to make a check: 1d20+level+wisdom bonus+any modifiers against fear effects. Treat it as an intimidation attempt. Do it in OOC or the rolls thread, not here.]
    Last edited by Defiantnight; 2019-02-17 at 11:42 AM.

Show

14. - Top - End - #44

Chimera

All of this happened in just a few seconds. One moment, they were leading them away into town; in the next, a mountain of a man threw their leader into them as easily as a ragdoll, scattering them like pins, leaving one of them lifeless on the stones. Arrows and fire fly, and only now have they taken stock of the situation enough to move to draw their weapons, or turn to flee.

They've been afraid since the beginning, of course. Not just of this day, of their life; they were born to fear, grew up with and wielded it. They, like many others, are connected by these threads of horror innate in all things.

Sylas easily grasps these ties.

It's hard to describe primal, unearthly terror, the kind that locks your legs in place, that forces you to look on as the mockery of humanity that once walked among you gives you but a small glimpse into its true nature - as its limbs distend as though they possessed extra joints, and glistening, nightmarish meat-ropes lash out into the fray to sink into the flesh of one of the all-too-similar men watching on in terror at the source of them. Even if he could attempt to flee, the tendrils sap his strength and tether him in place.

The pit in the cores of your very beings soon fades, however, leaving you only Shaken. The crowd that was going to disperse in a few rounds decides instead to vacate now instead, being outside the area the horror commands.

[Araqa actually also didn't need to roll; my bad. Sylas's mortal guise was broken as an Immediate action: everyone (it does not specify enemies) within 30 feet was treated to a Demoralize attempt, which due to his build means everyone that failed cowers for 1 round and is shaken the next. This makes it Araqa's turn again after enemy 6 went, as she was the only one outside the radius. Enemy 6 is not visible by anyone, so their turn will not be described (that would be the crossbowman that was disrupted earlier).

In short, combat continues, it is Araqa's turn. Everyone except Araqa, Enemy 6, and Sylas have the [Shaken] condition until the next round.]

[Edit: In good news, everyone except Araqa is also immune to it from now on.
    Sylas has 'grabbed' pirate 4, the one that talked shortly with the necromancer and is farthest away.]
    Last edited by Defiantnight; 2019-02-19 at 06:26 PM.

Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Araqa takes one more shot from her crossbow, unaware of the mental struggle being attempted around her. She steadies her hand and shoots at Pirate 4.

Show
    Attack: (1d20+10)[14]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[10]
    edit: she has Precise Shot, so I don’t think there’s a risk of hitting Sylas
    Last edited by violet42; 2019-02-20 at 12:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Chimera

The bolt narrowly scrapes by the pirate, doing no damage.

Show

17. - Top - End - #47

Chimera

Pirates 1 and 2 seem to be the wisest, or perhaps only the quickest, and the two nearly-dead pirates flee for their lives and scatter, Withdrawing from the area (though still open to attacks from anyone with reach in melee range of them).

[Pirates 1 and 2 are 60 feet away from the main group, 55 feet away from 4 who is currently Tethered by Sylas. It is Sylas's turn.]

Show

18. - Top - End - #48

Chimera

[Sylas is considered Delaying until he posts.]

The remaining pirate (aside from Tattoo Face picking himself up off the ground) tries to flee as well, making a quick attempt to grab and slash at the nightmare tendrils latched into the flesh of his ally - the effort only serves to leave unholy, desiccated scorch-marks from unseen power on his flesh where he touched the tendrils, and in horror he leaves the last two to their fate.

Pirate 4 (tethered by Sylas) and Tattoo Face are the only ones not fleeing, [the latter probably only because it's not his turn yet].

"Cowards! Bellyless 'lubbers and thieves the lot of ya!" The tattoo-faced pirate yells down the street.

[It is Annavaria's turn. Pirate 4 has dropped to his knees, tethers permitting, and has his quivering hands raised in surrender.]
    Last edited by Defiantnight; 2019-02-23 at 03:47 AM.

Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Annavaria advances toward tattoo-face, scalpel in hand. "My apologies, I am afraid I did not come prepared for a fight". When she gets close enough, she hurls her scalpel at the tattooed pirate.

Show
    Roll: (1d20+7) [23]
    Last edited by Urist Mcmage; 2019-02-23 at 03:30 PM.
    you can check out my homebrew class the Ghost-Speaker here

you can check out my homebrew PF class the Dark Scholar here

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

The child turned horrific mix of human and tentacles approaches the pirate he has tethered to him, crouches down in front of him and smiles and unnatural smile. Yes, I can smell the fear coming off you... it is delicious.

Spoiler
    Show

Apologies for going MIA.
    Sylas will continue to drain Strength from this pirate. He will half to make 2 Fort saves, DC=17. I believe I have both tethers on him correct?
    Then I will just mock him and taste his fear.

21. - Top - End - #51

NecromancerGuy

Mordecai sighs, walking up to the betentacled horror with some reluctance, "I'd be obliged if you could put the poor chap down, he's on our side."
    Last edited by ErebusVonMori; 2019-02-27 at 03:55 PM.
    "How much to help you craft items? I'll cover the XP costs" All Lvl 15 Githyanki

22. - Top - End - #52

The raging goliath thunders over to where the tattooed man lay.

"I WILL MAKE YOU PAY FOR ALL YOU'VE DONE!"

Two colossal blows come down onto the prone pirate, with little concern for accuracy.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Rolls in the roll thread. I don't know if I get a bonus to hit because he's prone, so if I do, you'll need to adjust my attack rolls.
    Last edited by Stevesciguy; 2019-02-27 at 05:52 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

Chimera

The poor entangled man's eyes widen and he nods vigorously, shooting a fearful look in the direction of the smashing - but he's not looking at the goliath.
    "Yeah! Yeah, I'm on your side!"

Tattoo Face seems to be made of tougher stuff than the others, because he lets out a broken, bloody cough on to the pavement instead of dying instantly. The cough turns into what could be shakily argued as a laugh, and with his face to the pavement on his knees, the hand under him grasps the holy symbol on his amulet... and he vanishes.

Or rather, transposes. An audible thump hits the landing about ten feet above and to the right of where he was moments before, dragging another pained sound from him as he forces his way through the landing door.
    Last edited by Defiantnight; 2019-02-27 at 09:36 PM.

Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Araqa notices Tattoo Face’s reappearance and gives chase with uncanny speed. She follows the fleeing pirate as far as she can and takes two shots at him with her longbow.

Show
    Shot 1: (1d20+10)[30]
    Shot 2: (1d20+5)[8]
    Damage 1: (1d8)[6]
    Damage 2: (1d8)[6]

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sylas Looks up into Mordecai's face, locks eyes and holds his gaze for a moment.

Sylas' tentacles release the pirate and Sylas' form starts to undulate and shrink. looking to almost fold in on itself until there is only the little boy left.
    Ok, whatever you say mister. Its just that threats scare me something fierce.

The boy looks into the pirates face and smiles a great big mirthful smile, We still gonna have tea and biscuits with jam mister?

Show
    Sylas will let the man go and assume his mortal guise once more
    Last edited by Mathias1313; 2019-03-01 at 10:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Chimera

The arrow that was meant for the pirate clips him and embeds itself instead in the wall as he goes to make his escape, rounding his way through a door and out of sight.

The pirate on his knees looks nauseous, his face pale, but his terror is surprisingly calm as he addresses the two of you, one of his glances making its way up to Araqa on the burlap overhang she scurried up to. "It's only a matter of time, then. I can't take you to them, but they're expecting you in the antechamber."

Show

27. - Top - End - #57

NecromancerGuy

At that Mordecai would look up to the one giving chase on their erstwhile guide, "I need him alive!" He yells up after them before returning his attention to their prisoner, "Well this has all gone sideways, if I were you I'd be looking for a new city. I was hoping to deal with them nice and clean but if this goes as badly as it could there'll be blood in the streets."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Annavaria turns to Mordecai. "Perhaps we should find a place to meet back up at. I need to get back to my laboratory, and I have a feeling that it would be best for all involved if we stayed hidden, at least for now, as for the fleeing man, if I had access to the raw materials I could create something to stop him, but right now I am afraid that there is very little I can do." she says.
    Last edited by Urist Mcmage; 2019-03-04 at 11:12 PM.
    you can check out my homebrew class the Ghost-Speaker here

you can check out my homebrew PF class the Dark Scholar here

29. - Top - End - #59

Chimera

The terrified pirate on his knees appears to have a confused revelation before lowering his head and looking at the cobbled street, already bloody in some places.
    "Well let's hope this doesn't go too badly then, eh? Uh- who are you all, exactly? I can't say I was expecting a raiding party today, at least not one made of complete strangers!"

He smiles too-widely, his attempt at humor a reaction to being surrounded and at the mercy of people who clearly don't like pirates.

Show

30. - Top - End - #60

NecromancerGuy

"Just a humble preacher." Mordecai says softly, placing a gentle, though gauntleted hand on his shoulder, "I'd appreciate if you could tell me what you can, then I advise finding yourself a new city to live in, I suspect this one is about to prove inhospitable."

As he says this he reaches into his coin pouch to press a handful of gold into the pirates hands. "Good luck."