New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: General Food Thread II

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Hermicus View Post
    Chain restaurants only, please (so that it's recognizable to at least a few people).
    Truth be told, we don't have those around here (chains beyond McD and BK). It´s pretty hard to find any fast-food that can compare favorable against a Döner Kebab, in taste, nutrition value as well as in price, which makes burger joints into really high class affairs around here (BK already had to file for bankruptcy once and McD is more about the coffee)

Generally speaking, chains lose most of their advanced in small, highly developed countries, when the general (food) logistic chain is even more highly developed, than a single company can manage.
    Last edited by Florian; 2019-04-10 at 06:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Rating your burger joints...

What would you people say are the best burgers you've ever had? Chain restaurants only, please (so that it's recognizable to at least a few people).

Mine is Five Guys. They also make excellent milkshakes.
    BurgerFuel (I don't know if you have this one in the US apparently there's one in Indiana). They make the best hamburgers and chicken burgers I've ever tasted (they also make vegetarian burgers, but I haven't tasted those), in addition to very good chunky, crispy fries.
    Last edited by Domino Quartz; 2019-04-10 at 08:49 AM.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hello forum-goers!

This is the sequel to the first General Food thread (link: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...od-Discussions)

This is a thread to basically just talk about whatever food-related things you want!

Anyway, to start it off, how about y'all's opinions on clam chowder? New England style or Manhattan?

As a proud Massachusettsian (Massachusettser? Massachusett?) I can say with absolute certainty that New England style is my favorite of the two, but of course that's IMO.
    I definitely prefer New England style chowder. Manhattan isn't bad, but doesn't feel like chowder to me.

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    In-and-Out is overrated.

stated as opinion
    Rating your burger joints...

What would you people say are the best burgers you've ever had? Chain restaurants only, please (so that it's recognizable to at least a few people).

Mine is Five Guys. They also make excellent milkshakes.

I can agree with that. In my area (Austin, TX), the big burger places are: Mighty Fine, 5 Guys, Whataburger, and In-and-Out. My slight preference is for 5 Guys.

I just had Becks Prime for the first time the other night. Definitely overrated and overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by abaraka View Post
    tacos, suchi are my all
    Because of my location, I'm spoiled for choice for tacos. I can get good Tex-Mex AND good interior Mexican at a large number of places at a good price. Sushi is a little more difficult, but there are some good places in the area.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I've never found 5 guys burgers to be that impressive vs their prices the only reason I ever go is for the milkshakes which are admittedly very good. Apart from the very obvious ones I'm not really aware of any chains in the UK that cross the Atlantic.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

The massive pile of veggies you can get on them is nice. That said the main reason I eat at 5 Guys at all is that there's one a block from my younger brother's house, he's a night owl and I am when visiting, and they're actually open past 10 PM which is pretty much the informal city wide closing time where I live - with definite exceptions, most of which are some distance away.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #36

1) Extra Vegetable Fried Rice.
    2) Best Lentil Soup.
    3) Crispy Baked Falafel.
    4) Epic Vegetarian Tacos.
    5) Peanut Slaw with Soba Noodles.
    6) Pinto Posole.
    7) Vegetable Paella.
    8) Best Vegetable Lasagna.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Anyone got good recs on Vietnamese cuisine? The noodle soups are great, and I'd like to venture into some more choices.

Also, you never know how much eggs a marble cake recipe needs until you might've not cooked them fully and it feels worse exiting than entering. Egh.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Anyone got good recs on Vietnamese cuisine? The noodle soups are great, and I'd like to venture into some more choices.

Also, you never know how much eggs a marble cake recipe needs until you might've not cooked them fully and it feels worse exiting than entering. Egh.
    I'm partial to Cơm tấm myself

9. - Top - End - #39

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    I'm partial to Cơm tấm myself
    Not sure why I came back here when I'm stuck on a bus in traffic and starving...wow, it looks great, thank you! I'll be hunting for that on the menu next time I visit the place.

10. - Top - End - #40

BlueWizardGirl

This might be against the idea of the thread but does anyone have a good recipe for danishes?

—Caerulea
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Here's one...Danishes!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm partial to New England clam chowder. Mom's from Boston, so I was kinda raised with it, and I don't like tomato based soups too much. The Old Spaghetti Factory here in the Vancouver area has a lovely light one that I get almost every time we go.

As for Burgers. Five guys is pretty good if you want a sloppy cheezey gooey burger. Here in BC we have A&W, which is a higher quality than burger king or McDonalds. Oh there's also Fatburger, which may have one of the best I've ever had. For gourmet burgers, The Cactus Club had hands down the best.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.