New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Academy Living IC: (Chapter 1) Group A

At Galion's request, Vasco grabs the abandoned pack on his way up to the tomb and gives the contents a cursory look, but his real focus is on the tomb's decor. Who knows how many hints of ancient magics might be found in the mosaic's glittering depths?

Not many, as it turns out. Vasco scrutinizes the mosaic in detail as he takes slow and measured steps down the hall, but frankly he finds all the historical and political scenes to be boring and unimpressive; the many islands of his homeland all have their own rulers--or, at most, a single ruler might preside over a handful of smaller islands--so he doesn't particularly care for the pomposity of crowns and kings, and the armada pictured is too small to impress someone who's seen hundreds of trading ships gather in one place for a midsummer swap meet. When the hall forks, he stops and glances at the darkness ahead with a sigh. By the Twelve, we'd better not have to walk down every single hallway to find something halfway interesting here, he grumbles to himself.

He leans against the wall, debating which path to take, when he hears Mardu's worried shout up ahead and perks up. "Mardu, what is it?" he calls out. "Are you hurt?" Grabbing a glowing alchemical vial out of his pocket with his right hand and wreathing his left hand in a cloud of black energy, the necromancer is a study in contrast as he rushes forward to help.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vasco

You tuck the pack under an arm as you stroll forward, rummaging inside. First, you surface half a sourloaf, the bready interior just as hard as the crust. Next comes an iron ring with a file, a small knife, and a needle dangling forth. After that, your fingers close around a jug of opaque glass that smells of vinegar and mustard seed. A peek inside reveals a dozen boiled eggs floating in brine. ‘Neath the jug is a wedge of sweating cheese, wearing a much large, and well-chewed, rind about it like a cloak. The rest is crumbs, a strip of salt pork, and a woven braid of dry stems that leads to a disintegrating, flaky nest where some garlic bulbs used to be.

The hallway trails on, with all the high drama of Sindare (yawn) unfolding before you. But just then, you see Rossantil’s lantern light suddenly jerk to a halt. Mardu gives a yell and hurries forward. No answer comes to your question.

You turn the corner, to find Rossantil standing transfixed, her eyes frozen and her mouth open in a wordless scream. A terrible stench fills your throat as you approach. The wall before her bears a mark glowing a bright, terrible green, while small critters scuttle forth from some earth that has been smeared on the stone. But that’s not the only thing moving. Deeper in the tomb, you see them coming. Like will-o’-wisps in the fog, the pale skulls of the undead bob towards you. There are six of them, grinning like old friends as they move toward you.

Spoiler: OOC: Initiative; Stench saves
    Show

Vasco and Rossantil are facing deeper in the tomb, where the six skeleton-like undead are standing some twenty feet away. Mardu is just behind Rossantil, while Galion is another fifteen feet back and around a corner. Rossantil is still paralyzed for another 5 rounds. I believe the only source of light is Rossantil's lantern, though I think it's reasonable for others to specify that they would also have had light sources out. Just let me know.

The stench extends out to ten feet from the glowing mark. Each character who enters that radius must make a DC 16 Fortitude save or take a -2 penalty on attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks until Rossantil’s paralysis wears off.

Stench saves
    Vasco: (1d20)[12]
    Mardu: (1d20)[7]

Initiative
    Vasco: (1d20+1)[13]
    Mardu: (1d20+2)[13]
    Rossantil: (1d20-5)[4] (paralyzed, helpless)
    Galion: (1d20+2)[12]
    Baddies: (1d20+5)[25]

3. - Top - End - #93

Vasco and Rossantil

The skeletons are on you almost too quickly. In the confines of the tomb, only three of them can reach you. They're garbed in ancient-looking chainmail overtopped with the threadbare remains of their tabards. Each of them carries a pitted buckler and a longsword. Two of them attack Vasco, while one thrusts a sword into Rossantil.

Vasco

You don't fail to notice the glittering bib of dark obsidian shards on their breasts, and in one case, still falling from the mandible. These specimens are so fresh that they haven't shaken off their birthing dust . . .

Spoiler: Vasco's turn
    Show
    Skeleton attacks/crit/damage Vasco: (1d20)[2]/(1d20)[5]/(1d8+1)[5]
    Other skeleton attacks Vasco: (1d20)[9]/(1d20)[14](1d8+1)[6]
    Skeleton attacks Rossantil: (1d20)[7]/(1d20)[13](1d8+1)[8]

They miss Vasco, but hit Rossantil (who is helpless at AC 5) for 8 damage, leaving her at 0/8 VP and 10/10 WP

Initiative

Skeletons
    Vasco (stench'd for 5 rounds)
    Mardu (stench'd for 5 rounds)
    Galion
    Rossantil (0/8 VP; 10/10 WP) (paralyzed for 5 rounds)
    Last edited by heretic; 2019-05-13 at 08:51 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

After overcoming her trepidation seeing the undead lurch forward, Mardu strikes up a courageous tune, spuring her allies to confidence despite the horrifying stench.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the lack of detail on the post, I'm mostly just posting mechanics. Mardu casts inspired boost and begins inspiring courage. She moves forward to combat, drawing her rapier as she does so.

As a side note: is Schismatic still around? Whose still here? I'd love to get this game moving again.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC: Light Sources
    Show
    Vasco actually has a light source as well; the "glowing alchemical vial" mentioned in my last post is his liquid sunlight, if that wasn't clear.

Vasco extinguishes the necromantic energy surrounding his left hand and uses it to cover his nose and mouth, trying to breathe through his fingers to cut down on the stench, but it really doesn't help. Ugh, gods. What I wouldn't give for a good breeze right about-- he grumbles to himself, then lets out a muffled "Rosa!" as his friend is stabbed.

All right, don't panic, he tells himself, looking from one grinning skull to another. This is going to work. Sure, you haven't actually tried it while something was actively trying to kill you before, but it has to work. He quiets his mind as best he can and briefly turns his thoughts inward, focusing not on one of the spells learned at the Academy but on a more primal form of necromantic power, discovered on one of his tomb-delving expeditions back home.

He feels that power bubble up from his soul and thrusts his right hand forward, the light emanating from it now tinted slightly green. "Guardians of this tomb, I command you to halt!" he calls out, releasing a burst of necromantic power to enforce his will upon his skeletal attackers.

Spoiler: OOC: Actions
    Show
    Vasco is going to Rebuke Undead!

Rebuking Check: (1d20+3)[16]
    Rebuking Damage: (2d6+4)[13]

EDIT: Yay, good rolls. If the skeletons are 1 or 2 HD, he rebukes them all. If they're 3 HD, he gets four of the six. If they're 4 HD, he gets none, and he's got much bigger problems.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2019-05-21 at 01:23 PM.

Show

I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?

6. - Top - End - #96

Rossantil

From beside you, Mardu starts to sing.

“It's close to midnight
    Something evil's lurking from the dark”

Your lantern shines pale against the skeletal horrors, throwing monstrous shadows against the back wall as they close in. Bright skulls crowd close as the nearest one rips free his sword and lifts it high, a shadowy cross spreading along the ceiling as he prepares to finish you.

“Hope it’s a good fight
    You see that wight already meets the mark.”

But another light flashes beside you, from Vasco’s right hand. And then lo, the darkness terrible from his right. His face is contorted in concentration as his left hand disappears into a darkness so black it turns green, shining like the night sky under the feet of the Frozen Capricorn. The skeletons cower beneath.

"You give him steel
    But what’s dead is dead and cannot be so ruined"

Vasco

An incredible thrill boils within you as the black cloud around your hand billows a glowing green and surges upward like a thunderhead. The skeletons freeze in their tracks, hunching back behind their meager bucklers. They seem terrified of your power, but unable to look away. A last bit of black dust falls from their skulls as their jaws lock open in silent screams.

“You start to freeze
    And then you lift the water-bearer high
    He’s been chastised!”

You can see now that one of the six is different than the others. This one wears only a few torn rags, instead of the rusty chainmail, and its bones are blood-smeared and fresh-seeming. Vaguely, you register that Mardu is singing some sort of adventuring hymn in the tradition of the Aquarius.

Spoiler: OOC: Skeletons rebuked; you may take ten rounds worth of actions'
    Show
    All six skeletons are rebuked for 10 rounds. Feel free to take those actions now. After 5 rounds, Rosa is no longer paralyzed and the stench effect wears off of Vasco and Mardu. The skeletons are within five feet of Rosa, Vasco, and Mardu. Galion is a move action away and gets another round of actions since he didn't act in this first round.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Rossantil falls backwards as the spell ends, clutching her side where the sword had scraped her. She was lucky the thing had missed, but it still put the fear of Taurus in her between the trap and sudden appearance of undead in this crypt. She's quick to recover, however, as she steps back and draws her bow. The half-elf has no qualms against firing upon cowering foes - skeletons, at least.

Spoiler
    Show
    Going to make 5 rounds worth of ranged attacks.
    Attack 1:
    (1d20+6)[12]
    Damage 1:
    (1d6+2)[6]

Attack 2:
    (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage 2:
    (1d6+2)[8]

Attack 3:
    (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage 3:
    (1d6+2)[7]

Attack 4:
    (1d20+6)[16]
    Damage 4:
    (1d6+2)[8]

Attack 5:
    (1d20+6)[26]
    Damage 5:
    (1d6+2)[8]
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98

Rossantil

Your body shudders as the paralysis lifts. They struck you while you were defenseless and now it's your turn. Your first shot rings one of their bucklers like a cymbal, sending a pealing, metallic clash throughout the tomb. If the skeleton had any flesh on his arm, you would have pinned his shield thereto. But alas, the arrowhead arrests harmlessly in between the bones on his forearm. Your next shot snaps his head back, leaving a thin crack running from the edge of his eye socket. The next two strike to little effect thanks to the damn armor, but the last one takes him straight through the nose-hole and he collapses to the ground with a bit of steel poking out the back of his skull.

Spoiler: OOC; one skeleton down
    Show
    The second, third, and fifth attack hit for 3, 1, and 3 damage. They have 6 HP, so let's say both your 3 damage shots hit the same one, taking him down, and you struck a glancing blow against another. The fifth attack would have threatened a critical, but has no effect here against undead opponents.

4 undamaged skeletons
    1 skeleton with 5/6 HP

El'the Ellie, feel free to continue controlling Mardu for this encounter.
    Last edited by heretic; 2019-05-23 at 08:16 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Ha! Worked the first time! Wish my last Theory of Summoning exam went that well, Vasco muses, inwardly celebrating and outwardly trying to give the impression that he always knew it would work.

After that, though, he bites his lip, wondering what to do next. All of his studies have focused on creating and enhancing undead, not destroying them, and he's not quite sure if casting the one undead-harming cantrip he knows will break his hold on the skeletons. So he slowly steps away from the skeleton, keeping his energy-shrouded hand in front of himself protectively, and calls over to Galion, "Hey Gal, a little help here? I can't do much against these things, and I think stabbing people--or ex-people--is your job."

Spoiler
    Show
    I forgot about the can't-approach-within-10-feet-without-breaking-cower clause on Turn/Rebuke when I was building Vasco, so he doesn't have a ranged weapon. He'll have to remedy that when and if he gets back to the Academy.

Vasco will just ready an action to Rebuke Undead again if any more undead appear or if the effect lapses on the skeletons before they're all killed.

Also, I forgot to note that he would have cast mage armor on himself right before going into the tomb, so he'll do that sometime during that minute too.

Show

<Snip>

10. - Top - End - #100

Vasco

Galion shoots you a quizzical look as he unsheathes his cross-gripped punching dagger. "Maybe you skipped this day in anatomy, friend, but stabbing works better when your foeman has y'know, a heart, lungs . . . that sort of thing." He starts casting with his free hand and blasts a small blob of corrosive acid at the nearest skeleton. "I'd suggest something along these lines." Just then, Mardu strides past and bashes a skeleton in the chest with the basket hilt of her rapier. "She gets it!" He casts again and again, sending hissing orbs of acid into the armored ribcages of the undead. One of them collapses, but he can't seem to summon the stuff fast enough. You can feel their strength returning. Mardu lands a solid crack on another of them, but seems to be having difficulty with using the blunt hilt of her sword.

Spoiler: Galion's attack rolls; time for another Turn/Rebuke
    Show

Galion misses two and hits three, dealing 3, 1, and 3, damage. He takes out a skeleton and deals another 1 damage to the already damaged skeleton.

Mardu misses three times, hitting once for 2 damage. Dice rolls.

3 undamaged skeletons
    1 skeleton with 2/6 WP

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, come on, it should be easier to hit all their vulnerable bits without any pesky skin getting in the way!" Vasco calls to Galion with a cheeky grin. "Break enough bones, the vital resonance pattern won't match the pre-animation body anymore, and they'll de-animate, easy breezy."

His expression suddenly sobers and he furrows his brow at the skeletons. "I think my hold on them is weakening, let me shore it up, one second." His right hand pulses with black energy as he moves it in a quick pattern that looks like an abbreviated spellcasting gesture, then he relaxes and grins again. "All right, should have them all under control again. Stab away!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Another Rebuke Undead from Vasco.

Rebuking Check: (1d20+5)[19]
    Rebuking Damage: (2d6+4)[8]

EDIT: Yay, more good rolls. He's got 'em all if they have 1 or 2 HD, three of the four if they have 3 HD.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2019-06-06 at 01:14 AM.

Show

<Snip>

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    I think Mardu has been MIA for a while, and Galion has left the game. I hope we don't mind me rolling for all three to move the fight along? Otherwise, by all means ignore my actions for the others. Also, folks will stop attacking if all the skeletons should die.

This is all assuming they have been successfully rebuked. If not, I suppose disregard this as things may quickly change.

Rossantil
    Rossantil breaths a sigh of relief as the animated bones continue to cower. "Gods, just die please! Again, I mean."

She makes an arcane gesture with her hands, forming a burbling clear droplet of acid, and tosses it at the cowering skeleton crowd. Then she pulls her bow back out and keeps firing on them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: Round 1
    Show
    Acid Splash Attack Roll (1d20+6)[13]
    Damage: (1d3)[2]

Spoiler: Round 2
    Show
    Shortbow Attack Roll (1d20+6)[17]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[3]

Spoiler: Round 3
    Show
    Shortbow Attack Roll (1d20+6)[10]

Spoiler: Round 4
    Show
    Shortbow Attack Roll (1d20+6)[16]

Spoiler: Round 5
    Show
    Shortbow Attack Roll (1d20+6)[25]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[8]

Spoiler: Round 6
    Show
    Shortbow Attack Roll (1d20+6)[18]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[7]

Spoiler: Round 7
    Show
    Damage: (1d6+2)[5]

Spoiler: Round 8
    Show
    Shortbow Attack Roll (1d20+6)[24]

Spoiler: Round 9
    Show

Spoiler: Round 10
    Show
    Shortbow Attack Roll (1d20+6)[23]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[4]

Galion

"There we go folks! Let's get this wrapped up, there might still be worse things down here..."

With most of his effective arcane spells exhausted for now, Galion is left to resort to inspiring words and a good old dagger.

Spoiler
    Show
    Show
    Dagger Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[15]
    Damage: (1d4+2)[3]

Show
    Dagger Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[18]
    Damage: (1d4+2)[4]

Show
    Dagger Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[19]

Show
    Dagger Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[15]
    Damage: (1d4+2)[5]

Show
    Dagger Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[25]
    Damage: (1d4+2)[6]

Show
    Dagger Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[16]

Show
    Dagger Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[12]

Show
    Dagger Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[13]

Show
    Dagger Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[8]

Show
    Dagger Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[17]

Show
    Dagger Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[21]

Show
    Dagger Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[20]

Mardu

With a few well practiced bashes with the metal basket of her rapier, Mardu does her best to follow suit and cave in the reanimated skulls.

Spoiler
    Show
    Show
    Rapier Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[17]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[6]

Show
    Rapier Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[26]

Show
    Rapier Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[7]

Show

Show

Show
    Rapier Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[16]

Show
    Rapier Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[24]

Show
    Rapier Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[14]

Show
    Rapier Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[25]

Show
    Rapier Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[9]

Again, apologies for sort of accelerating things this much.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103

The group makes fast work of the remaining skeletons, with Mardu dealing out the most severe punishment. When the last of the skeletons collapses into a heap of bones and armor, a sort of peace falls over the crypt. In the combined light of Vasco's vial and Rossantil's lantern, the length of the crypt is laid bare before you. The chamber extends sixty feet deep, with ten foot ceilings held up by four sturdy pillars of stone. All along the walls, the epic mosaic continues, detailing the wars and tribulations of the king's life. On the ground lie six sarcophagi, five of which have clearly been disturbed--their heavy stone lids have been pushed off, causing some of them to lie shattered on the ground. Others are only askew, just open enough for the skeleton to emerge.

But the mightiest sarcophagus of them all sits intact, with its ornately-carved lid showing the craggy likeness of an old man clutching a sword beneath his beard. All around the stone likeness are runes carved in Old Sindarean. Above his final resting place, the mosaic ends with the king kneeling before the imperious presence of a golden-haired elf, offering up his crown in both hands. All around them stand hard-eyed, unsmiling elves with bloodied swords in hand. In the final scene, the crownless king retreats to the mountains with a knapsack over his shoulder.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Rossantil glances around nervously as they enter the inner area of the crypt. "Well I don't love this... I suppose the best thing to do is open up that sarcophagus and get the spell pouch? Under other circumstances, I'd love to stay and look around, but something tells me those skeletons weren't random. Maybe more of the handiwork we saw before, with the corpse the wolves were eating? Anyway, Vasco, want to give me a hand?"

She tentatively approaches the sarcophagus and puts her hands on the sides of the lid, ready to push it off.
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-06-10 at 10:17 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't know if that's a great idea," Vasco says. He's obviously comfortable in tombs and not particularly shaken by the run-in with the skeletons--in fact, he had to pull himself away from examining them as the others moved ahead without him--but the other sarcophagi having been opened does concern him. "All the other bodies were turned into skeletons, but not the king's; why not? Maybe there are some traps on the sarcophagus that the necromancer--or necromancers--couldn't get around, maybe they reanimated him as something more powerful and he's still in there, maybe opening that will make the crypt collapse, maybe they just respected the king enough to leave his body alone and if they're still around they'd be angry with us for opening it up." He shrugs. "If we're going to run into trouble with whoever else is in here, I'd rather deal with one thing at a time. So maybe we should look around, see what we can find."

Show

<Snip>

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Rossantil freezes near the sarcophagus. "Oh, duh. Yes, of course. I should have realized it might be trapped given, well... Yeah. Let's have a look."

She looks like she's not particularly keen on reenacting earlier events, and starts searching the area for anything of interest.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107

Mardu and Galion examine the mosaic while Rossantil and Vasco discuss what to do next.

A thorough examination of the tomb reveals no more hidden traps or signs of the undead. Each of the five opened caskets contains a longbow and sheaf of arrows, so brittle they would immediately snap if put to the test, as well as a pouch of coins—perhaps fifty gold pieces apiece. Aside from that, it’s just scraps of cloth left behind when the skeletons rose. From what remains of their sarcophagus lids, it appears that each was inscribed with the deeds of the men and women themselves. Only Vasco commands the old tongue well enough to read them.

The floor of the tomb is paved with hewn bricks, smoothly laid, but powdered by smears of desiccated, sandy dirt. Thanks to the struggle that just took place, it’s difficult to tell if the dirt is unevenly strewn due to recent intruders or whether the sands of time landed that way, perhaps after seeping in between the large bricks in the ceiling. Shards of bone are scattered about as well, all from the six vanquished skeletons. Five of these are dressed in rusted chainmail and ancient, faded tabards, each with a weak-riveted iron buckler strapped to an arm-bone. Their steel swords are just as old, although the centuries appear to have taken less of a toll on them. The sixth skeleton wears blood-smears instead of chainmail or clothes, and was armed with a shorter curved sword that looks much newer. Upon inspection, there’s a maker’s mark clearly etched into the blade just above the hilt—crossed blades above a campfire.

Aside from these, the remainder of the tomb reveals no more secrets. The mosaic of King Anglad shows the history of his life, continuing from where the hallway left off. First, a great council of elves and men meet one another in a huge chamber. King Anglad offers his guests meat and mead from his own hand, while the elf-king Galadruil looks toward the empty throne at the head of the room. In the next scene, the two groups are arguing while an armored man holds aloft the severed head of an elven champion. The next scenes show the events of the war, with a particular focus on elves bribing or enchanting various human lords to join their rebellion, all while King Anglad heroically leads his men in battle. After a great struggle—and the apparent use of dragons by both sides—King Anglad surrenders his crown to Galadruil and retreats to the mountains.

Galion takes the opportunity to cast a detection spell and notes that there is a moderate evocation aura coming from inside the final sarcophagus.

Vasco

You take some time to examine the five open sarcophagi before turning to King Anglad’s. From the Old Sindarean runes that remain on the slabs of lid, you gather that these men and women were King Anglad’s honor-guard that protected him in life and now death. Each is named. There’s Neston Adlegor, Dravrion, called Red-Rider, Amarchon the Fearless, Rhossolas (whose surname is shattered with the stone), and Erthryan Ivorlain. None of the names were known to you, but each is honored with a brief biography. It appears that Rhossolas and Neston Adlegor were noblemen and childhood friends of King Anglad, while the other three were raised up in recognition of valor. Their most notable deeds include riding a dragon (Davrion), striking down King Galadruil’s brothers (Erthryan), and dying by dragonfire (Amarchon). Legendary service for a group that ended up being put to such common use by whomever animated them.

King Anglad’s sarcophagus is more ornate and larger than the others. All around the outside, his various titles and land holdings are listed, as well as his Teleri ancestors and a prayer to the Capricorn. The sculpture of his likeness takes up the remainder of the heavy stone top-piece, aside from a queer, smooth-flowing indentation beneath his feet.

[[OOC: This reflects search rolls for all party members, plus Galion's spellcraft check. Rossantil may make a bardic knowledge check to recognize the maker’s mark on the blade. No party members have the proper ranks in the appropriate knowledge skill to make a similar attempt regarding the maker's mark.]]
    Last edited by heretic; 2019-06-11 at 09:23 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Vasco waves off Rosa's almost-mistake with an easy chuckle. "Oh, don't worry, I forgot all about traps on my own first tomb delve, and I still have some of those scars," he reassures her. "Physical, and mental. I don't ever plan on playing darts again, that's for sure."

With that he makes the rounds of the sarcophagi, leaning in to read the inscriptions but making sure not to brush up against them, just in case. He lets out a low whistle as he gets to the part about the dragon-riding. "Looks like these people were pretty big names. We're lucky whoever reanimated them went for basic skeletons and not something that would have brought their souls back so they could fight as they did in life--that would have made for a very short battle, and not in a good way."

Once he's finished, he comes back to check in with Galion. "Evocation in the sarcophagus, but nothing on it? That should rule out magical traps, hopefully," he muses. "Still, unless any of us is an expert in dealing with mechanical traps...?" When no one volunteers, he continues, "Then let's try to play it safe and have someone else open it up. Everyone back up a few paces."

The young necromancer goes over to the remains of the most-intact skeleton and carefully carries, kicks, and sweeps it over to the king's resting place, being careful not to leave any bones behind. "The necromantic matrix is too misaligned for a real reanimation, but this should manage it for a few seconds..." he murmurs as he dusts off his hands, pulls out a tiny unlit candle, invokes the same cloudy black aura he used to hold the skeletons before, uses the aura to light the candle with a black flame, and places it into the skeleton's eye socket, causing the undead creature to suddenly leap up and reassemble itself into a humanoid configuration. Motioning to the sarcophagus lid, he says, "Open that up, please," before backing away to a safe distance.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Vasco is going to cast summon undead I to summon a human warrior skeleton next to the sarcophagus for 1 round, flavored as re-reanimating one of the existing skeletons. It has Str 13, if there's a check needed to open the lid.

Show

<Snip>

19. - Top - End - #109

Rossantil

The maker's mark is one that you've heard of in passing. The campfire represents the Lost Flame, a ceremonial fire that the human line of House Teleri feeds as a symbolic reminder of their royal heritage. As such, this mark was left by one of House Teleri's smithies.

Vasco

As you prepare to summon, it occurs to you that this lid is probably too heavy for a single skeleton to push off in the few seconds that it will exist.

[[OOC: Moving this lid aside takes a DC 20 strength test, so it's possible that the skeleton can do it, but it may be prudent to assist. I'll say that each person assisting (Aid Another action; DC 10 Str test) gets cover against any mechanical or magical trap, since the main person pushing is the most exposed.]]

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"That's... pretty sad, honestly. To be so glorious in life and then in death so... used."

Rossantil appreciates the mark for a moment, and remembers their directive to leave things here. Still, it was an interesting tidbit of history. She takes a piece of paper and pencil out from her bag and places the paper over the mark. She rubs the graphite against it for a moment, leaving an impression of the mark on her page. She folds it up and pockets it, then sees the skeleton struggling with the lid.

"Buddy, I think you need muscles for that." In a wild turn of events, she heads over to assist the undead that recently stabbed her. Well, it was the same one in her mind at least. Vasco might have a more academic opinion.

Spoiler
    Show
    And then, she proceeded to have a far worse strength than the thing without muscles. (1d20-1)[14]

But I assist anyway!
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-06-12 at 10:27 AM.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111

Rossantil's impression comes away as expected.

Galion and Mardu move to help push the top of the sarcophagus off as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Galion: (1d20)[15]
    Mardu: (1d20)[19]

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

What part of "back up"...? Vasco sighs to himself as his companions move in to help the skeleton, resisting the urge to facepalm. The whole point of using a skeleton to trigger a possibly-lethal necromantic trap is that a skeleton can't exactly die again!

But then, seeing them all put themselves in danger, he's struck by a sudden pang of guilt that something could happen to all of them and he'd be perfectly safe, and maybe he could have helped prevent that. After a moment of internal debate, he walks up and grabs the sarcophagus lid, staying behind the skeleton as much as possible and hoping nothing's going to explode and send bone shrapnel his way. "If this gets us all killed, I swear I'm going to haunt you people, don't think I won't," he grumbles under his breath, then adds in a normal tone, "All right everyone, on 'push'. One...two...Skeleton, push!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Vasco will take 10 on the Strength check to aid the skeleton. That's 4 Aid Anothers, for a total of +9 to the check.

Skeleton's Str check: (1d20+9)[20]

EDIT: Welp, looks like all of us being dangerously heedless of our own safety was the right call!
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2019-06-26 at 02:02 PM.

Show

<Snip>

23. - Top - End - #113

Stone grinds on stone as the entire group strains against carven lid. It’s a heavy thing, and snug in its fitted resting place atop the stone casket. But after a few moments, it begins to give, and the group manages to push it askew. No deadly glyph or spell awakens to shoo you interlopers away, although Vasco’s skeletal assistant collapses into a pile of bone nonetheless, his purpose served. Silence falls.

Inside, the skeletal remains of King Anglad Teleri lie in repose. He is dressed in what was once a royal green tunic and sable cloak, a steel crown on his head, and a sword clasped to his chest. Papery skin clings to the cheeks of his skull and to the knuckles of his bony grip, thin as a dragonfly’s wing. Down by his feet is a leather pouch, buckled shut.

His accoutrements display touches of fine craftsmanship, even through the passage of centuries. The high peaks of the crown are shaped like mountains rising above the minor peaks, which curl like lapping waves. Master smithwork, but no precious metals or jewels to speak of. The real crown must have passed to others. King Galadruil perhaps. A square-cut emerald glints in the pommel of the long sword that lays along his torso. Unlike the crown, which is flecked with the corrosions of time, this sword is good as new—black leather and mithril, from the look of the hilt and scabbard. “It’s enchanted,” Galion surmises, his magic detection spell still active. “That’s what’s giving the evocation aura.” The pouch is down by the king’s boots. It’s about a foot deep, eighteen inches broad, and a span wide, made of a very stiff-looking leather. There’s a flap securing the top, buckled fast with a steel pin.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Rossantil is quiet for a long moment as she looks at the deceased king. A great many thoughts run through her head, but none she can properly put into words. She opens and closes her mouth a few times and purses her lips together as if going to say something, but thinks better of it. Instead, she carefully grabs the component pouch.

"Well... best not to linger, right? Let's lay him back to rest." She moves to the stone slab, ready to push it back atop the old king.

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength check, if needed: (1d20-1)[8]
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Vasco flinches when the lid comes off, and is almost disappointed to see that there are no traps protecting the king's final resting place. Guess they liked him enough to give him a fancy tomb, but not enough to try to keep out tomb-robbers.

When Rosa grabs the king's pouch, he raises an eyebrow. "If that's what ancient wizards used to need for all their spell components, I'm certainly glad we've managed to develop more efficient components since then. I'd hate to have to carry that around all the time" Then he frowns. "Maybe we should check what's in it. Master Ahasshu didn't say anything about the king's pouch being unusually large--which I'd have expected some arcane historian to note down somewhere--and we don't know that they buried the real deal with him instead of a replica or something, or that someone else didn't come in first and swap it out for a fake. Do you mind if I take a look?" he asks, holding a hand out to Rosa.

Spoiler
    Show
    If it looks like Vasco can peek inside without removing the pin, or if it looks like the pin could easily be put back the way it was found, he'll do so. Otherwise, he'll leave it alone so as not to damage it and just hope it's what they came for.

Show

<Snip>

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Rosa hesitates for a moment, then hands the pouch over with a shrug. "Agreed. But that's fascinating: I wonder if they had to use physically more material back then, as each component had a smaller arcane reaction coefficient..."
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117

Vasco

The pouch is stiff, but yields to your touch as you gently pry the sides open without disengaging the pin. Through this thin opening, you see a number of glass vials, corked and belted in place by loops of ribbon sewn into the inside of the pouch. Their contents appear to have dried to a tar over the centuries. Beside them lie a number of smaller pouches, each one scant large enough to allow a thumb and finger to pinch from within. There’s also some sandy refuse on the bottom, as well as some dried shards that might have once been some kind of plant stem. Finally, a few small rolls of vellum peek out from an internal pocket.

From your experience, it seems similar to a modern spell component pouch, albeit larger and perhaps a wider variety of items (though a closer examination is required to be sure). You see little way to determine if this is the real thing or a replica, although most spell component pouches--at least nowadays--are cheap enough that it burying a real one would not be a significant financial hardship.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

"You may be right, it does kinda look like the components might have come in larger quantities, but it's hard to tell since everything's all shriveled up," Vasco says as he peers into the pouch. "Could be due to the reaction coefficient, or maybe this was before astrodynamic unification and they were still using different components for each zodiac sign. Or maybe the king just knew a lot more spells than we thought, who knows?"

He hands the pouch back to Rosa with a shrug. "Either way, it looks like the real deal as far as I can tell, so I think we can get out of here," he says, then moves to the other side of the slab to help her put it back in its proper place.

Show

<Snip>

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Rosa nods and carefully slings the bag over her head across her body. "Well either way, I'm guessing we'll be doing plenty of theory crafting back at the Academy. Probably work form the professors, let's be honest."

She steps up to the lid. "Agreed. Galion, Mardu, a hand?"

Then she pushes with the others, eager to set the old king to rest once more.

Spoiler
    Show
    Certainly up to the DM, but I'd be fine with a time skip either outside of the tomb, or potentially all the way back to the Academy. Though it depends on what you have planned. I know we were talking about combining the two groups.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120

At the tomb

Mardu and Galion assist with the coffin lid, though it is slow going without skeletal assistance. Galion stares wistfully at the stone resting place, no doubt mourning the death of the valuable sword that the law requires be left behind. With the component pouch in hand, there’s nothing for it but to return to the road.

On the road

Outside, the heat is once again punishing, even beneath the light tree cover. Soon enough, you find yourselves back at the Tasty Werewolf inn for the night. This time, you have the place to yourselves. Vasily nearly falls over himself to wait on your every whim, clearly eager for your continued business.

Back on the main road, you soon fall in with a train of a lord and his retinue, eight in all. Count Lonard Rettsam is a tall, dour man of middling years with a sheet of shoulder-length dark hair tucked behind his ears. He bears obvious signs of the road—a fortnight’s stubble on his cheeks and a wash of dusty sweat ‘neath the armpits of his fine white linen tunic. He travels with a pair of grooms (one for each of his horses), a cook, two men-at-arms, a scout named Dahlia, and most curiously, the half-elven barrister Arnauld Thora-Sant III. The attendants mostly keep to themselves, except for Dahlia—who only speaks in grunts and spends most of her time ranging off-road on the back of her steppe horse—and Arnauld, who refuses to shut up.

From him, you learn half the goings-on at the capital, Glanduin. There is a mighty shortage of bricks and mortars. Parliament is refusing to fund reparations to the Church of the Capricorn for the destruction of one of their churches by the wyrm Lemonwing, whose regular tribute payments were delayed due to incompetence by the treasury. An emissary from Tell Uru claims that a wonderous contraption has been erected in their city—a globe capable of summoning lightning. The authorities have allowed a cult to sacrifice people to it daily.

Of Count Rettsam’s business, Arnauld says little, although he does let slip that they’re making for Goldengrove in search of a man named Ambroise. Galion notes privately that you met such a man on the way here. He was one of three riders due north and claimed to have slain a man named Durato with swordplay.

Back at the academy

After finding her office empty once or twice, you finally manage to catch Master Ahasshu to debrief her. “Well, that was fast. Did you manage to find it? Anything interesting happen?”

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Feel free to run conversations in parallel if you'd like to talk to one of the NPCs mentioned. Note that Count Rettsam's party is due for Goldengrove, where group B is also headed.