New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Default Re: Any game where you play as the bad guy and lose?

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    You can make basically every good decision and get that ending though if you aren't familiar with the arcane background reputation mechanics in the series, so I'm not sure that qualifies.
    Good decision on the eyes of whom? your sister? the foreigners that know no Valerians except your friends and those trying to kill them? The soldiers under your command? The rep. mechanics reflect on how the every day citizen of the island feels with you going around murdering people in random encounters and the things you do that you think are "good" end up with you getting shot because your only filter was the 30 or so people who've been around you all the time. And in the end it never mattered because once you do the ending scene neither greater nation can keep out of your island and risk the other getting it, so you are dooming your country to become a battleground. Matter of fact is, despite all its noble dressings, up to the end you were a pawn for one of them anyways, and the entire campaign was started by the proxy of the other.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    It isn't? I've not played it myself, but I am sure I heard that every game eventually ends in a loss.
    I'm sure a good enough Dwarf Fortress player could keep their fortress going long enough to get bored and start a new one--I'm not that player, though, so I can't judge.

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    I'm thinking... it's also rare in movies where the good guys lose. They exist, though.
    True, but a movie is two or three hours long and isn't interactive in any way. Losing at the end of a 10+ hour game, where you played everything right but the game itself is rigged so you can only lose, would not be a pleasant experience. Heck, even when this is unintentional it's not pleasant--for instance, many years ago I played Midwinter 2: Flames of Freedom on my Amiga, and after many hours of play and many islands liberated, I got the message that the enemy fleet had set sail and I was to assist with the defence. 20 seconds later, I got the "Game over" screen, because apparently the enemy fleet had teleported from their base to my island. Pretty sure that was a bug, but it didn't make it any more pleasant when it happened.
    Last edited by factotum; 2019-02-03 at 01:08 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Not a game recommendation, but OP reminded me of an encounter in Baldur's Gate 2. Towards the end of the game your high-level party meets some low-level adventurers, who immediately insult and attack you. After you slaughter them they load the save from before the battle and then act completely deferential towards you instead. You could even play the part and send them off to some meaningless quest if you wanted.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Shadow of the Colossus. You spend the game fulfilling the terms of what's effectively a deal with the Devil, and in the end, you get possessed and sealed away.
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    It isn't? I've not played it myself, but I am sure I heard that every game eventually ends in a loss.
    Straight from the dwarf's mouth:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Losing

There is no internal end point, single goal, final Easter egg or "You Win!" announcement in Dwarf Fortress. Therefore, eventually, almost every fortress will fall. The only ones that don't tend to be very conservative and very boring—and what fun is that? Thus, DF = losing ∧ DF = fun ⇒ losing = fun, and that's okay!
    It's a very amusing part of DF culture.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Straight from the dwarf's mouth:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Losing

It's a very amusing part of DF culture.
    That's what I thought I remembered.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

I mean Tyranny with an infinite number of asterisks and player choices and stuff
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

8. - Top - End - #38

Maybe the first Age of Wonders, when siding with one of the evil factions?

While you can win the last scenario, the possible endings for your protagonist hero in the epilogue all suck, IIRC.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Losing in Dwarf Fortress is not the intended experience, although it's the one most people will get because game is hard, yo.
    Yes it is. It absolutely is. In fact, this is one of the main cornerstones of Dwarf Fortress is that you cannot win Dwarf Fortress, and therefore every time, you will lose. But the game is enjoyable, so losing = fun.

This is even explicitly called out on the Dwarf Fortress Wiki.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

10. - Top - End - #40

Flumph

Questionable as to whether you're the bad guy, but in Drakengard your party consists of a mute who is only capable of violence, a pedophile, and a cannibal.

And everyone loses, because that's how those games roll.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the original 'Mafia'. The graphics are a bit dated, it's copyright 2002, but it's quite a fun game, and I recall it fondly, and it definitely meets the "play as a bad guy and lose" motif pretty well.

12. - Top - End - #42

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the original 'Mafia'. The graphics are a bit dated, it's copyright 2002, but it's quite a fun game, and I recall it fondly, and it definitely meets the "play as a bad guy and lose" motif pretty well.
    I think Mafia 3 probably qualifies as well, but it does depend on how you play the game. One of the endings has your character get blown up in his car just after winning control of the entire city.

13. - Top - End - #43

MindFlayer

danzibr gives one pattern where the player stops playing as soon as s/he wins. I have a number of video games, some JRPGs, some visual novels, where there are a lot of endings, and I would want to play to see them all. Sometimes many of these endings would count as losing, especially in the visual novels, so a pattern might be: lose, lose, lose, win, lose, lose, lose, lose. And by my moral standards, some of the visual novels involve playing as bad guys throughout, even if the game developers might not have thought so.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a New World has a pretty memorable one, potentially. Spoilers just in case.

Spoiler
    Show
    In the final battle, you play as the villainously-possessed main character, fighting against your former party. If you win the final battle, you get the bad ending of the game. If you lose the final battle (which you almost have to do deliberately), the game proceeds on the assumption that there was still good in you and you get the good ending.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    danzibr gives one pattern where the player stops playing as soon as s/he wins. I have a number of video games, some JRPGs, some visual novels, where there are a lot of endings, and I would want to play to see them all. Sometimes many of these endings would count as losing, especially in the visual novels, so a pattern might be: lose, lose, lose, win, lose, lose, lose, lose. And by my moral standards, some of the visual novels involve playing as bad guys throughout, even if the game developers might not have thought so.
    Hmm I meant to say you keep winning, opponent/good guy keeps reloading, then you lose so they progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a New World has a pretty memorable one, potentially. Spoilers just in case.

Spoiler
    Show
    In the final battle, you play as the villainously-possessed main character, fighting against your former party. If you win the final battle, you get the bad ending of the game. If you lose the final battle (which you almost have to do deliberately), the game proceeds on the assumption that there was still good in you and you get the good ending.
    Oh yeah! Forgot about that game. Liked it a lot (except for the ol’ ppl not leveling up).
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I mean Tyranny with an infinite number of asterisks and player choices and stuff
    I don't think you lose Tyranny as much as you don't really win.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. Several of the endings are nothing but you losing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like most of these and just bad endings. Not 'you play as the bad guy, and the hero is literally unbeatable.'
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I feel like most of these and just bad endings. Not 'you play as the bad guy, and the hero is literally unbeatable.'
    Because I'm pretty sure a game like that doesn't exist.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

A game that was mentioned where you are (may be??) the bad guy is Shadow of the Colossus. Arguable that the plot is up to interpretation, but it very much seems like you stole a princess because you loved her, she may or may not have any idea who you are, steal a holy sword, go to the forbidden land, kill the ecosystem, become a shadow demon, and then as mentioned literally cannot beat the priests sent to contain you.

Also seriously recommending and seconding Spec Ops : The Line. It could almost be described as "whoops i was a mass murdering psycho who thought he was the protagonist" the game. But seriously a good game. Heart of Darkness / Apocalypse Now type plot.
    Spoiler: One potential ending
    Show

One of the multiple endings involves your ptsd "hero" gunning down the troops sent to rescue him. It does not go well for you.
    Read a finished campaign journal of a homebrew Ravenloft game here

21. - Top - End - #51
    Banned

Oh, uh ... Mark of the Ninja. Oh god yes, the bad ending for Mark of the Ninja is way dark.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Would Spec Ops: the Line count? You go over the line pretty much at the start of the game and by the end, I couldnt' even tell you what winning looks like anymore.
    I would also suggest Spec Ops: The Line.

Oh, your character definitely thinks he’s the hero. But by the end, you are revealed to be nothing more than a monster who was injected into a bad situation and somehow made it significantly worse. You can choose to walk away and live with your mistakes, but you can also choose to pay the ultimate price or become an even greater monster.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2019-02-06 at 10:56 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Yeah, that game doesn't exist, because it would in no way be fun to play. If someone did make it, no one would buy it.

24. - Top - End - #54

Yeah, that game doesn't exist, because it would in no way be fun to play. If someone did make it, no one would buy it.
    I was thinking to make like a 5 minute game where exactly this happened.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Ironically, I was just thinking about something I'd once heard about Serious Sam 3. IIRC, if somebody pirated the game, it would spawn in an invincible enemy to come pester them to death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

You become what you behold. A flash game about media. It doesn't end well for anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Ironically, I was just thinking about something I'd once heard about Serious Sam 3. IIRC, if somebody pirated the game, it would spawn in an invincible enemy to come pester them to death.
    Wich, if memory serves, only made more people pirate it just to see it with their own eyes.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    I would also suggest Spec Ops: The Line.

[Snip.]
    Are you sure you want to spoil it like this? How the ending turns out is for me one of the biggest appeals of the game.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll 5th(?) DF. And on a similar not there's also Evil Genius, although I'm pretty sure you can win that one.

Shin Megami Tensei series also has several games where you can lose/get bad endings (usually the world/universe ending).

FF XIII-2 has the BBEG win, with Thanos level consequences even. And that's after a good 30+ hours of playing (depending on how quickly you move through the game). I thought it worked great for the story being told, but then I'm weird and am okay with the heroes not always winning, cause that's how life works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Wait, what really?

I played that game and didn't know that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now I'm trying to remember what ending I actually GOT from that. Did I win or lose? aaaaagh I can't remember, it was so long ago.

I definitely remember finishing it, but I can't remember the actual ending, ironically....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #60

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    FF XIII-2 has the BBEG win, with Thanos level consequences even. And that's after a good 30+ hours of playing (depending on how quickly you move through the game). I thought it worked great for the story being told, but then I'm weird and am okay with the heroes not always winning, cause that's how life works.
    And if you spend even longer grinding out everything and getting all 12 main endings for the super secret 13th ending he wins even more.

Though you weren't the bad guy, you were trying to stop him. You just didn't know what you were doing.

Also the FFXIII trilogy largely runs on the basis that a major step in the villain's plan involves you killing him. Destroying Barthandelus and Orphan in FFXIII is exactly what he wanted you to do, and only doesn't doom all humanity because of outside divine intervention that neither of you could have predicted and wasn't explained at all in the game anyway because Square Enix have decided that coherent storytelling is far too passe for such an avant-garde series (What? You wanted to know what the driving character motivations of Noctis were in FFXV? Guess you should have watched the Kingsglaive movie then!)

(I do not know if the boss of Lightning Returns intends for you to kill him at the end, I did not get on with it, I suspect not because the whole cosmology of the world happened because he was fixated on avoiding death via entropy)

I can't think of anything that really explicitly fits the OP mechanically, a game where you are narratively the villain and in the end are faced with a mechanically impossible final boss which you have to accept defeat to. (Players always whine about those).

There is, however, the Legacy of Kain series and Kain's position in it. As he goes through the first game merrily slaughtering the guardians of the pillars of the world (okay they're kinda doing their jobs wrong but still, pillars of the world sound pretty important, right?) it's pretty clear he's at least somewhat villainous. (Also the whole drinking the blood of the innocent thing, because vampire).

At the end of the game though he's left with a choice. Doom the world by destroying the pillars themselves, or redeem it by killing the final guardian, himself. Also the last vampire making the entire species extinct.

So he can either have vampires rule over a doomed and dying world, or have them extinct by his own hand. You lose either way. (Canonically he then spends several more games of extremely confused continuity trying to make a coin flip land on its edge so he doesn't lose).

So it kinda depends what you mean lose. If you mean "villainous protagonist doesn't get anything he wanted or needed and now everything is wrong forever", yeah there are games that do that.

But if you mean "villainous protagonist is confronted with mechanically impossible final challenge and player's only recourse is to accept defeat", I can't think of any. If any game were going to do that it would have been Undertale.