New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Help naming the "main" continent

I've been working on a setting for a while, but I'm having trouble coming up with a name for the " Europe" flavored continent that most of the early conflicts will take place.

Very early in Human history, humans were enslaved by chromatic dragons, and were eventually freed by metallic dragons led by their leader, Bahamut, who went on to ascend to Godhood. I tell you this bit of lore because I would like to name the continent in his honor.

The problem is that the names I've come up with are ugly or unwieldy. Here are some of the names that I don't care for:

Bahamia(sounds too much like Bohemia)
    Platinim
    Drakus
    Metallica (had to throw this one out because I forgot about the band)
    Alloimania

Can you guys think of something Bahamut adjacent to name the continent? Twice Humanity was forced into a "Crucible" during near extinction events, so "common" is the only real language of humanity, though it has been long enough that local dialects are beinging to become distinct. A Romanesque classical civilization did most of the naming, but this setting is distinctly medieval in theme.
    Last edited by Whiskeyjack8044; 2019-01-31 at 01:18 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Help naming the "main" continent

You can have continents with names that have two words unless you have some thematic reasoning it should be just a single one. What about Platini Terram?
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Hm. Well, our world's equivalent to that is Christendom, which is also named after its main religion (used as an old name for Europe). But Bahadom sounds silly. Drakendom?

Do you have a specific inspiration for the main culture on that continent? That could help us look at a fitting language.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Those are both good suggestions that I'll put in the running.

I want the name to evoke Europe subconsciously, that's why I've kept the name a single word, though I'm not necessarily opposed to a two-word name.

The countries on this relatively small continent are:

Burgland(Saxon England)
    Waldanaz(basicly the Russian Frontier, not really a country)
    Maisonce(France)
    Etreria (Italian city states)
    Aldonia(A sort of proto British Empire with a dash of the Netherlands)
    Flusswasser(Early medieval Germany)
    Zamberia(Spain with a bit more Moorish influence)
    Mansrike(A Scandinavian Island)
    Grengary(A Hungary that is filled with orcs. Yeah, this name is a bit hamfisted)

These aren't the best names, and if I was writing a book I'd put more work into them, but once you hear me pronounce Maisonce, you know what culture they are loosely based on. So I want something that says "Oh, this is fantasy Europe."
    Last edited by Whiskeyjack8044; 2019-01-31 at 04:46 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack8044 View Post
    These aren't the best names, and if I was writing a book I'd put more work into them, but once you hear me pronounce Maisonce, you know what culture they are loosely based on. So I want something that says "Oh, this is fantasy Europe."
    Europa is a moon of Jupiter. Pick a different one. Like say Io.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

You'll probably get Europe across if you stick to phonemes common in romance, germanic, or slavic languages (though slavic languages could suggest central Asia), even if the word is total nonsense. A continent named Xiquidao, as far as I know just some syllables rammed together, is generally going to conjure images of China, one named Agropoeida is going to come across as vaguely mediterranean, one named Merovetac is going to feel central European.

Next up, getting Bahamut across. I'd be almost tempted to lean on onomatopoeia here. It borrows phonemes by necessity, and for a dragon I figure you want something between a hiss and a roar. That means using 'S' and 'R' sounds heavily, and probably going more towards short 'O' than anything else for vowels. So off the top of my head and with no promises to quality: Rossosar. Emphasize the rough 'R' and hissed 'S' in pronunciation a bit.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I like the idea of two names. Not used together, but one a romantic name and the other an official name.

Thus:

Bahmanlund, The Land of the Platinum Dragon
    Paladinium, The Realm of the Lawgiver
    Drakenhiem, The Land Of The Gift
    Skiedland, The Protected Realm (skeid being shield, not air)