New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Frostbite is only in the Frostburn sourcebook; therefore it appears it's being used as well.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #62

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Wait, he's a rogue? How do we know that? I sort of assumed he was a fighter.

As for Crystal, she has levels in something called Assassin.
    He explicitly mentions sneak attacking his brother when they're getting ready to attack the fort, and he also sneak attacks a treant.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    He explicitly mentions sneak attacking his brother when they're getting ready to attack the fort, and he also sneak attacks a treant.
    Goblins have Rogue as a favored class, so it's possible that he's multiclassed into, say, Fighter as well.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's probably been asked a hundred times before, but why is Tarquin not listed as having the Deflect Arrows and Snatch Arrows feats? He's shown snatching arrows several times over the strips.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Borris View Post
    It's probably been asked a hundred times before, but why is Tarquin not listed as having the Deflect Arrows and Snatch Arrows feats? He's shown snatching arrows several times over the strips.
    That is not the only way he could have that ability, and there have been many lengthy discussions over this fact.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

There's a long discussion on how did Tarquin snatch those arrows, mainly because Deflect Arrows and Snatch Arrows allow for only one deflection/snatch, and Tarquin has snatched two arrows , one with each hand. There's the epic feat Infinite Deflection, that would make him able to use deflection/snatch more than once per round, and there's a magic item called gloves of arrow snatching, that could in thesis do the trick also, but we couldn't conclude which one is being used.

I prefer the feat option, but I can't remember what was the main problem with the Infinite Deflection presented in the discussions.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

7. - Top - End - #67
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    I prefer the feat option, but I can't remember what was the main problem with the Infinite Deflection presented in the discussions.
    The problem with Infinite Deflection was that, if used optimally, it would have permitted Tarquin to bat Haley's two arrows aside at the same time with the same hand, rather than catching them with both hands.

Tarquin was not shown wearing gloves, but there are two explanations for this: first, that the art style of the time wouldn't have permitted it (or at least, would only have permitted bulky gloves), and second, that gloves of arrow snaring have flavor text that says they seem to meld with the user's hands and become nearly invisible. The other problem with the gloves is that they are limited in use to twice per day while the feats are not limited in use, and Tarquin was seen snatching more than two arrows over the course of that day.

But it would be very like Tarquin to have both the feat chain (though not necessarily the Epic feat) and a redundant magic item.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-02-15 at 03:31 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

I prefer the interpretation that "arrow snatching feat works for every hand/grasping appendage that is free".

To this day, however, I don't think I quite understand why anyone would downgrade from arrow deflection to arrow snatching, given the first one works as often as needed, while the second one removes the ability to use either for the rest of the inter-round period.

(Note that this is not a complaint about Tarquin)

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #69
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    To this day, however, I don't think I quite understand why anyone would downgrade from arrow deflection to arrow snatching, given the first one works as often as needed, while the second one removes the ability to use either for the rest of the inter-round period.
    Being able to use the snatched arrow as a stabbing weapon?

If this seems like a low rate of return, remember that we're discussing a feat chain intended for Monks.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-02-15 at 03:40 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Being able to use the snatched arrow as an improvised weapon?

If this seems like a low rate of return, remember that we're discussing a feat chain intended for Monks.
    I don't want to derail the thread but...

... Don't they do more damage with free hands than with any weapon? I mean, Tarquin would've definitely hurt Belkar more if he had used the axe, I'd imagine.

(Again, I want to insist I am not complaining about Tarquin doing something less-than-optimal; just wondering what the designers were thinking. If the answer is "it's more 'cool' if you catch things than merely deflect them", I'll take that, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I'm missing)

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-02-15 at 03:43 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

11. - Top - End - #71
    Banned

I don't want to derail the thread but...

... Don't they do more damage with free hands than with any weapon?

Grey Wolf
    Monk fists have bigger base damage dice than most weapons, yes. No, it makes no sense to give them the ability to use found arrows as stabbing weapons. But nobody, except perhaps a younger, less-wise Skip Williams, ever said they were well-designed.

(Again, I want to insist I am not complaining about Tarquin doing something less-than-optimal; just wondering what the designers were thinking. If the answer is "it's more 'cool' if you catch things than merely deflect them", I'll take that, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I'm missing)
    Yeah, this is probably the real explanation.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-02-15 at 03:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Thrown weapons can immediately be thrown back at the original attacker (even though it isn’t your turn)..."

That's how Snatch Arrows gets better than Deflect Arrows. Ironically doesn't work with arrows.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

"Thrown weapons can immediately be thrown back at the original attacker (even though it isn’t your turn)..."

That's how Snatch Arrows gets better than Deflect Arrows. Ironically doesn't work with arrows.
    There's also Return Shot for that, which does work with arrows.

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quoth zimmerwald1915:

The problem with Infinite Deflection was that, if used optimally, it would have permitted Tarquin to bat Haley's two arrows aside at the same time with the same hand, rather than catching them with both hands.
    But no option would have obligated him to catch the arrows (and thus fall off the airship). The fact that he did so can only be called a mistake on his part. And the fact that he made that mistake doesn't tell us anything about what gives him the capability, and so we're right back to whatever best fits the rest of the evidence.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    But no option would have obligated him to catch the arrows (and thus fall off the airship). The fact that he did so can only be called a mistake on his part.
    Counterpoint: Tarquin could have reasoned that, at such a climactic moment, Haley's Icy Burst bow could trigger a crit and he could get frozen, fall of the airship anyway, and potentially die, instead of just being injured, so catching the arrows was the optimal choice.

The world runs on drama, Tarquin knows it, and as silly as it sounds it's not exactly a bad theory. It also adds zero information.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-02-16 at 11:09 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    But no option would have obligated him to catch the arrows (and thus fall off the airship). The fact that he did so can only be called a mistake on his part. And the fact that he made that mistake doesn't tell us anything about what gives him the capability, and so we're right back to whatever best fits the rest of the evidence.
    It was probably an automatic decision rather than a conscious one. Realistically, the brain can't do much thinking in the time between it sees arrows speeding towards it and when they arrive, so I don't think we need to assume that Tarquin made a conscious decision to catch the arrows. He probably just acted more or less on autopilot.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Reflexes are indeed a thing.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground

I mean, most of the time when people are firing arrows at you you aren't going to be hanging off an airship, so I can see his first reflex response to "fired two arrows at me" to be "catch both of those arrows," especially since that's the cooler visual anyways.
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

19. - Top - End - #79
    Bugbear in the Playground

Monk fists have bigger base damage dice than most weapons, yes. No, it makes no sense to give them the ability to use found arrows as stabbing weapons. But nobody, except perhaps a younger, less-wise Skip Williams, ever said they were well-designed.

Yeah, this is probably the real explanation.
    And honestly, it works. (the explanation. it being cooler)
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    It was probably an automatic decision rather than a conscious one. Realistically, the brain can't do much thinking in the time between it sees arrows speeding towards it and when they arrive, so I don't think we need to assume that Tarquin made a conscious decision to catch the arrows. He probably just acted more or less on autopilot.
    I totally agree, but of course, this doesn't help at all in figuring out how he did it.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

OK, so that's a reason why he made the mistake. And yeah, it's probably a reasonable mistake to make. My point is, we can't say "It can't have have been <X>, because that wouldn't have obligated him to catch the arrows", because nothing else would have obligated that, either.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I've tthought that , but then I've read this:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Deflect Arrows
    You must have at least one hand free (holding nothing) to use this feat. Once per round when you would normally be hit with a ranged weapon, you may deflect it so that you take no damage from it. You must be aware of the attack and not flatfooted. [...]
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Snatch Arrows
    When using the Deflect Arrows feat you may catch the weapon instead of just deflecting it. Thrown weapons can immediately be thrown back at the original attacker (even though it isn’t your turn) or kept for later use.

You must have at least one hand free (holding nothing) to use this feat.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Infinite Deflection
    The character may perform any number of deflections each round, as the Deflect Arrows feat.
    The way I read it (and I may be reading it wrong, but that's how I undersood it), both Deflect Arrows and Snatch Arrows require explicitly the user to have a hand free to perform the feat (and a hand holding an arrow isn't free anymore), Infinite Deflection brings the "as the Deflect Arrows feat", which makes me think it's subject to the same rules (aside number of deflections) as its "parent feat" (one must have a hand free to perform the deflections), and, since Snatch Arrows allows to catch the weapon instead of deflecting "when using Deflect Arrows", that would mean that someone with both Snatch Arrows and Infinite Deflection could catch any number of arrows, limited, of course, to one's number of free hands. This last limitation wouldn't be a problem if the user just deflected the arrow, since the hand wouldn't get full with just deflection.

As for why Tarquin snatched instead of just deflecting, I agree with everyone who said it was a mistake due to a reflex act and habit (most of the time during comic we've seem him snatching, not deflecting.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

I know that RAW has nothing to say about this, so it’s not relevant...but how silly is it that you can throw knives back at the target for free (and thus presumably unlimited times per round if you have infinite deflection, if we’re assuming that infinite deflection applies to snatch arrows), but can’t drop an arrow and catch a new one?

24. - Top - End - #84

Welcome to the world of overly pedantic rules interpretation.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
    I know that RAW has nothing to say about this, so it’s not relevant...but how silly is it that you can throw knives back at the target for free (and thus presumably unlimited times per round if you have infinite deflection, if we’re assuming that infinite deflection applies to snatch arrows), but can’t drop an arrow and catch a new one?
    Can't you just use it as an improvised throwing weapon? Granted, the relevant text for thrown weapons is a bit unclear in terms of how it interacts with Snatch Arrows (it defines a narrow list of thrown weapons, but also notes that anything can be thrown.)

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Can't you just use it as an improvised throwing weapon? Granted, the relevant text for thrown weapons is a bit unclear in terms of how it interacts with Snatch Arrows (it defines a narrow list of thrown weapons, but also notes that anything can be thrown.)
    I'd usually assume that arrows can indeed be thrown back as improvised thrown weapons. That said, if we suppose Tarquin had Deflect Arrows-Snatch Arrows-Infinite Deflection, the "why he didn't drop one arrow or just deflected them" is best explained by a mistake due to a split second decision.

OTOH:

Behold Dios Exma Chinnegan, Ranger 11/Fighter 20 with DEX 25, Deflect Arrow, Snatch Arrows, Infinite Deflection and Distant Shot who decimates armies who dare to throw volleys of arrows at him...
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-02-19 at 06:54 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Welcome to the world of overly pedantic rules interpretation.
    This should have been our thread title.

Semi-more seriously, I’m not sure how I feel about “split second bad decision” or “reflex” as explanations. If you want to go all real-world on it, we’re talking about someone who has good enough reflexes to catch arrows and deflect infinite ones so I’m not sure normal split second reasoning applies. Or in game terms, I think generally we’ve seen that the characters get to make decisions (and talk) at tabletop game pace, so RAW aside I think we have to go with “bad decision” or “readied action (bad decision redux)” rather than reflex.

None of which is at all helpful—as noted he clearly made the decision and we probably will never know why. Heck, maybe he judged that he wasn’t going to be able to win and decided to exit the battle in the most dramatic/ironic/funniest method he could come up with. Or maybe he wears cursed gloves if arrow snatching that require him to always catch arrows or something more esoteric and equally unproveable...

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

You could ask the same question about #858. Why did Tarquin catch the arrow with the smokestick there, instead of just deflecting it?

I'm imagining two jugglers with Snatch Arrows and Infinite Deflection feats throwing a knife back at each other in an infinite loop within the same turn. It would make an interesting circus act.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    You could ask the same question about #858. Why did Tarquin catch the arrow with the smokestick there, instead of just deflecting it?

I'm imagining two jugglers with Snatch Arrows and Infinite Deflection feats throwing a knife back at each other in an infinite loop within the same turn. It would make an interesting circus act.
    If I was a GM and this somehow happened... I'd decree that the universe explodes as the participants' speed breaks the fabric of time and space.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
    I would certainly say that Infinite Deflection and Snatch Arrows are on separate feat chains, entirely distinct upgrades of Deflect Arrows, and that "Infinite Snatching" would require a separate feat again...