New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Wargroove?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Wargroove?

I saw an advertisement on the Switch for an SRPG called Wargroove. Caught my attention. Did a minimal amount of googling, looks promising.

However, I’m always hesitant to read too much about a game ‘cuz spoilers. With that said... anyone try this game? Thoughts?
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Wargroove?

Yeah, it’s fantasy Advance Wars, but without all the ridiculous gimmicks, units, and powers that snuck their way into the Advance Wars series over time. There’s a few differences in mechanics, but the biggest one is that all units have a “critical hit” condition. Fulfilling it makes your unit do a much stronger attack, and I believe each unit has a different one.

There’s also options for players to create their own maps, campaigns and even cut-scenes. On top of all that, the game also allows cross-platform multiplayer.

I picked it up, and so far it seems fun. Only played a few campaign missions though.
    Former Owner of GiTP's fanciest Bloodbowl Team: The Fancy Lads
    The League's Self-Proclaimed Perennial Favorites and Season III Champions!
    Current Owner and Manager of Rampant Professionalism

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by houlio View Post
    Yeah, it’s fantasy Advance Wars, but without all the ridiculous gimmicks, units, and powers that snuck their way into the Advance Wars series over time. There’s a few differences in mechanics, but the biggest one is that all units have a “critical hit” condition. Fulfilling it makes your unit do a much stronger attack, and I believe each unit has a different one.

There’s also options for players to create their own maps, campaigns and even cut-scenes. On top of all that, the game also allows cross-platform multiplayer.

I picked it up, and so far it seems fun. Only played a few campaign missions though.
    Thanks!

Huh, never played Advance Wars. Never had the right system. Looks good though.

I loved Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, etc.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I've been looking for a new TBS game right now, and this one looks right up my alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

played it with some friends, pretty neat, easy to get into. Made by the same people who did Starbound, and apparently the plant-people race in Wargroove are one and the same with those in Starbound.

What's neat about it is that it can kind of act like a sort of offline/idle game you can play with friends who aren't online at the same time as you. The game stays up even if no players are in it, and it sends a message through Steam to whoever's turn it is. They can then launch up the game, take their turn, and then log off again. So you can play a game with someone on the other side of the world and never have to worry about one of you staying up too late.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

This looks interesting, but is the single player campaign up to par, with say, Advance Wars or Fire Emblem?

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    This looks interesting, but is the single player campaign up to par, with say, Advance Wars or Fire Emblem?
    I’d like to know this. I probably wouldn’t use the multiplayer at all.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    I’d like to know this. I probably wouldn’t use the multiplayer at all.
    Hmm, there's a few big differences to Advance Wars. It just kinda has a Fire Emblem aesthetic going on with no real deeper similarities. You get hero units, but none of the pseudo-rpg stuff with advancement, inventories, or social links.

I haven't played super far into the campaign so far, but the game gives you way less production buildings than I remember Advance Wars giving. That alongside the critical hit stuff and rather limited healing capabilities of most buildings makes the game feel much more tactical than I remember Advance Wars being. The differing critical hit prerequisites for different units definitely makes me think a lot more about how best to utilize each unit.
    Former Owner of GiTP's fanciest Bloodbowl Team: The Fancy Lads
    The League's Self-Proclaimed Perennial Favorites and Season III Champions!
    Current Owner and Manager of Rampant Professionalism

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I mainly meant story, AI, etc.

10. - Top - End - #10

I never played Advance Wars, but I've been having a blast with Wargroove. It's fun and light-hearted and charming, all while the AI is kicking my butt for that one out-of-position spearman.

The main campaign feels like it's mostly about teaching you how to play the game--troop movement, how to generate troops, introducing ranged combat, introducing trebuchets, teaching how to use anti-air units, and so forth.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    I mainly meant story, AI, etc.
    The story is 'walk down a path of contrived conflicts to force you to sort of fight everyone and experience all the units' but the missions there have been pretty fun, even if some of them take a little long for their own good (which was more of a problem when I thought the game didn't save in-mission because of its lack of a button for it). However, the campaign does seem to be very much a tutorial, not even giving access to every unit until a good 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through, depending on how you count side missions.

There's nothing perfectly analogous to the Advance Wars 'War Room', but there is a series of missions to be played successively by each commander (I'm presuming they are unique missions; haven't finished a chain of them yet) that functions similar-ish-ly, giving some battles without the dressing of a light plot.

Personally, I've been a real fan of the Puzzle missions you eventually unlock which all play out as a contrived setup of units that asks you to achieve victory in one turn...and that's it for the single player.

I will say that the AIs biggest weakness is sometimes prioritizing your commander even when the hammer isn't ready to fall and kill them outright. Although the loss of your commander makes you lose immediately, the AI tends to waste resources chipping them when there isn't enough force nearby to threaten the kill (commanders are very powerful units), causing it to be less of an inconvenience than the troops they sacrificed to deal the damage.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2019-02-07 at 12:36 AM.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.