New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Why is Necromancy evil but Conjuration is not?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    To me, it seems like more that people seem 'unwilling' (probably just have different priorities/preferences) to note that D&D is mostly trying to set up a game world where PC 'heroes' can go into the creepy dungeon in the wicked swamp and battle an evil necromancer and his undead minions, and perhaps later in their career team up with angelscelestials from heavenvarious outer planes in the good-aligned part of the D&D cosmology, to do battle against demons and devilsdemons and devils. As PhoenixPhyre points out, the cosmology (and the moral reasoning, if you look too closely) is set dressing. Unless of course it is important to your games. In which case, one should be prepared to explain away any inconsistencies which arise.
    What D&D is trying to do is a "why is the default setting like that?" question. What I've been debating for more than 20 pages now is and has always been "what is the default setting and is it coherent?".

Yes, there is a meta reason, even several, for why devils and undead are bad guys. I recognize and understand at 100% the fact that the D&D designers decided so, for those reasons.

Does the in-setting justification for them being the bad guys hold, though? I think it does. 5e has done a great job correcting or removing many of the inconsistencies and incoherent elements of previous editions (like how 3.X zombies where utterly evil despite being devoided of mind). It's not perfect, obviously, for the most part it's a consistent setting which respects logic.

It doesn't bother me that people don't like the 5e lore. It's more than fair. It doesn't bother me that people change stuff for their settings. I do it, everyone does it.

What bother me is that people keep affirming things that are not accurate of 5e's default setting, while saying it is accurate for 5e, and that people claims there are inconsistencies or incoherent elements in places where there is none (again, if people claim there is something inconsistent where there is, then it's not a problem to me, for obvious reasons).

And among the people who do that, I've noticed that a lot of them were using the 3.X lore, especially concerning the alignment system.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    That you don’t like the assumptions of the default setting is fine, and no one is forcing you to play using those assumptions... but it remains a default part of the setting assumptions that such an objective moral system exists, that the details are in some ways incomprehensible to mortals, and that is indeed a fair and just universe under such a system... unrealistic, arguably, but hey it is fantasy.
    Such a "moral" system can exist in the setting, sure, with its cosmic forces and its assertions.

Just means that unfairness, injustice, and wrongness are built into that setting's cosmic structure. Forget gods not being above right and wrong... universes and realities aren't above right and wrong. There are reasons underlying right and wrong, and those reasons don't stop being reasons just because it's another "reality". I'm not going to further tank the thread by listing off specific ugly and inflammatory immoral acts, but those acts don't suddenly become moral just because it's in another universe.

Is the question in this thread the stated "Why is Necromancy evil but Conjuration is not?"... or is it actually "Why is Necromancy evil but Conjuration is not, in the default/implied D&D setting?"

If it's the former, I've given my answer a few times. If it's the later, I don't have an answer, because it's a meaningless distinction. Either way, maybe I should just try to walk away.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    Blessing, healing or curing disease do not fall under the necromancy school for at least 3 editions of D&D, or ever, in the case of blessing.
    Which is a bit of a head scratcher.

IIRC, necromancy spells fall into three categories:
    • Those that deal necrotic damage.
    • Those that bring creatures to undeath.
    • Those that bring creatures back to life.

The last two make sense to me.

So does the first, until you consider that a spell like cure wounds is indeed listed not as necromancy, but evocation. I assume that is to be understood as the evocation of positive energy. But if the school of necromancy is concerned with the forces of life and death, why is the evocation of negative energy considered necromancy while the evocation of positive energy is considered evocation?

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Such a "moral" system can exist in the setting, sure, with its cosmic forces and its assertions.

Just means that unfairness, injustice, and wrongness are built into that setting's cosmic structure. Forget gods not being above right and wrong... universes and realities aren't above right and wrong. There are reasons underlying right and wrong, and those reasons don't stop being reasons just because it's another "reality". I'm not going to further tank the thread by listing off specific ugly and inflammatory immoral acts, but those acts don't suddenly become moral just because it's in another universe.
    What you you mean by "unfairness, injustice, and wrongness are built into that setting's cosmic structure"?

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    So going back to the discussion of alignments being beyond human comprehension, I can see a few takes on it.

First, good means "good as outsiders define it" rather than "good as humans define it" then I would say humans ought not concern themselves with the objective definitions of good and evil and instead view them as they relate to humanity.
    It would be no different than humans in the real world trying to take into account the ethical systems of ants and termites; they may exist but they don't relate to humanity.

Second, if good and evil are universal but they don't actually have any detectable consequences, they are just good and evil for their own sakes, then we get back to the gods as Abe Simpson model.

Third, we can have the book of exalted deeds system, where isolated good and evil acts cause suffering in the universe ignoring the normal system of cause and effect. For example, if I animate a zombie, force it to good deeds for twelve hours, and then disintegrate it so it cant harm anyone it may seem good, but then on the other side of the continent a family suddenly comes down with the black plague or a greedy landlord decides to evict an orphanage during a blizzard.

IMO this last is much better suited to an existential horror setting like Call of Cthulhu than a high fantasy game like Dungeons and Dragons.
    Two of those produce a setting in which mortals in the setting (and the game playing at the table) should firmly ignore the Alignment system entirely. In the first, a moral system that's incomprehensible even utterly counter-intuitive in some cases, resulting in mortals not being able to discern Good and Evil, is useless, and as you state they should just proceed with trying to do the right thing as best they can... because they have no way of avoiding doing "Evil" by simple innocent accident. In the second... if Good and Evil have no impact, then just go do the right thing and forget Good and Evil.

The last is the sort of cloud-cookoo-land nonsense (the book's claim, not your paragraph) that awaits at the bottom of the rabbit hole of Alignment as Cosmic Forces.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-02-16 at 12:11 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

The fantasy isn’t just that an objective, observable, measurable system of morality exists in the Great Wheel... it is also part of that fantasy that the system is actually, truthfully, and correctly fair and just; correctly calibrated to ethical absolutes of right and wrong. If you are seeing injustice and immorality in the framework, then you are not truely embracing the setting priors.

That is just as much fantasy, arguably, giant flying firebreathing lizards and that looking at big squid monsters can break your mind... but we can’t just waive away the parts of the fantasy we don’t like or can’t wrap their mind around conceptually

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

The fantasy isn’t just that an objective, observable, measurable system of morality exists in the Great Wheel... it is also part of that fantasy that the system is actually, truthfully, and correctly fair and just; correctly calibrated to ethical absolutes of right and wrong. If you are seeing injustice and immorality in the framework, then you are not truly embracing the setting priors.
    Or rather, I'm not engaged in the circular reasoning that it's right because the system says it's right and the system is right because it says the right things are right. I'm stepping to the side and examining the thing for what it is, not what it claims to be. I'm going to judge the setting for what it is, not what it wants to be, and if I'm seeing injustice and immorality in the framework of the universe depicted in that setting, it's because those things are there.

Tell me that the cultures / societies in a setting have different moral/ethical standards, and I can work with that. Plenty of past and even current cultures / societies in the real world have different or even flat wrong standards.

Assert that in the "universe" of a setting, there are different moral standards baked right into the cosmic fabric, and I'm going to start looking for the inevitable cases where those standards fail, and with certain assertions start wondering what sort of abhorrent wrongness the author is trying to justify as "good" because "the universe says so".

Insert the most horrible thing you can think of one person doing to another person -- if "the cosmic forces" say that act is "Good", does that make it right for one character in that setting to do to another character?

That is just as much fantasy, arguably, giant flying firebreathing lizards and that looking at big squid monsters can break your mind... but we can’t just waive away the parts of the fantasy we don’t like or can’t wrap their mind around conceptually
    I'd say that such a system is more fantastical than dragons or Krakens or magic spells.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-02-16 at 12:36 PM.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

There is AT NO POINT in 5e where the reasoning is "it's bad because the setting says it's bad".

When the setting says it's bad/good/whatever, it has an explanation of it.

Assertions like "D&D has stuff that is arbitrarily evil/good/whatever" are wrong, as far as 5e is concerned. It has arbitrary definitions for the alignments, true, but it's not "this is Good, because we decide what is good", it's "this particular kind of benevolent behaviors is called neutral good", when the behavior can logically be qualified as benevolent both in- and out-of-universe.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2019-02-16 at 12:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

As a note, there's a huge difference between these two ideas:

1) We can know what the rules are, but we don't/can't know why they're the rules or we may not agree with the (limited amount of) explanation we can understand.
    2) We cannot know what the rules are.

The first is the truth for the real world. We can know (some) scientific and moral rules, but there is no guarantee that we can understand why. To say otherwise is pure hubris. It is also true for the "mortals can't comprehend the reasons behind why Good and Evil are they way they are" explanation of D&D morality. The second is just not true of either.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

10. - Top - End - #640

MonkGirl

In many fantasy settings, looking at things like cosmic horrors that man cannot comprehend drive a person insane. As a student of cognitive neuroscience I find the concept ridiculous, there isn’t a neuro-architectural apparatus for sensory information of any kind to do that kind of thing, mental health (including psychosis and delusions of the type usually portrayed in cosmic horror fiction) is more complex than that, and frankly the mind is pretty good about processing illogical and incomprehensible input in less maladaptive ways than ‘take 3d6 psychic damage and save for stun’.

And yet, I’ve played in and enjoyed Call of Cthulhu Style games, enjoyed literature of that genre, even with the underlying premise being absurd. Swollowing the moral objections to the implications of absolute, supernatural, but also still right and correct ethical system into one of many suspensions of disbelief is part of setting building like this

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Huh, no. Those only violates the laws of physics as we know them. Physics being different in a different universe is a given.
    Morality being somehow unexplainable or directly tied to some sort of cosmic energy violates the laws of logic. Because while it is determined based on the physical world, morality itself is entirely astract, with our understanding of it limited mostly by insight and language, not some arbitrary absurdity like "you must be from one of those planes of existence to understand those concepts", or worse, "this energy type is inherently [im]moral regardless of what it's used for".
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Huh, no. Those only violates the laws of physics as we know them. Physics being different in a different universe is a given.
    Morality being somehow unexplainable or directly tied to some sort of cosmic energy violates the laws of logic. Because while it is determined based on the physical world, morality itself is entirely astract, with our understanding of it limited mostly by insight and language, not some arbitrary absurdity like "you must be from one of those planes of existence to understand those concepts", or worse, "this energy type is inherently [im]moral regardless of what it's used for".
    Can a toddler understand quantum chromodynamics? Does that make it less true (ish)? More arbitrary?

Mortals in D&D are, from a moral capability perspective, toddlers. The moral rules we have are only the surface phenomena. There is deeper order that we simply cannot see.

More aptly, if they violate the laws of logic, it is because our premises are wrong/incomplete. Reasoning from inapt axioms produces contradiction where there is none.
    Last edited by PhoenixPhyre; 2019-02-16 at 01:05 PM.
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

13. - Top - End - #643

MonkGirl

In the Great Wheel fantasy model, morality is as ‘physical’ a process as time and gravity... just one of entirely abstract things that are concretely manifest along with law and chaos, mathematical truths, life and death itself, thought... That you see that absurd in practice is fine, but that you categorically reject even the premise sort of defeats the purpose of embracing a fantastical setting...

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    There is AT NO POINT in 5e where the reasoning is "it's bad because the setting says it's bad".

When the setting says it's bad/good/whatever, it has an explanation of it.

Assertions like "D&D has stuff that is arbitrarily evil/good/whatever" are wrong, as far as 5e is concerned. It has arbitrary definitions for the alignments, true, but it's not "this is Good, because we decide what is good", it's "this particular kind of benevolent behaviors is called neutral good", when the behavior can logically be qualified as benevolent both in- and out-of-universe.
    This comes across as another case of intentional vagueness (in 5e, not by you), of trying to eat their cake and have it too. Alignment is descriptive... until it's not. Alignment is cosmic forces of objective morality... until it's not. PC alighment is "these actions are typically...", but then there are also planes, places, energies, and entities that are objective inherently Good, Evil, Lawful, Chaotic, etc.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Can a toddler understand quantum chromodynamics? Does that make it less true (ish)? More arbitrary?

Mortals in D&D are, from a moral capability perspective, toddlers. The moral rules we have are only the surface phenomena. There is deeper order that we simply cannot see.

More aptly, if they violate the laws of logic, it is because our premises are wrong/incomplete. Reasoning from inapt axioms produces contradiction where there is none.

Any moral argument that starts from the premise of infantalizing a mental competent adult person... is a non-starter.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

If it's about perceiving morality directly, that's bullcrap, because morality is evaluated and not perceived. Then it's a mere problem of insight. And what exactly stops mortal for acquiring that insight?

No, wrong premises merely bring wrong conclusions without touching the laws. They violate the laws of logic (specificaly, the law of identity that we use to associate a word with an idea) because they're forcing something completely divorced from morality under the same word and pretending it's okay.

In the Great Wheel fantasy model, morality is as ‘physical’ a process as time and gravity... just one of entirely abstract things that are concretely manifest along with law and chaos, mathematical truths, life and death itself, thought... That you see that absurd in practice is fine, but that you categorically reject even the premise sort of defeats the purpose of embracing a fantastical setting...
    No, that means I'm capable of processing those things as no longer matching what morality actualy is and refusing to pretend the word has a different meaning.
    Fantasy is about exploring ideas, not masquerading them behind different words.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

In many fantasy settings, looking at things like cosmic horrors that man cannot comprehend drive a person insane. As a student of cognitive neuroscience I find the concept ridiculous, there isn’t a neuro-architectural apparatus for sensory information of any kind to do that kind of thing, mental health (including psychosis and delusions of the type usually portrayed in cosmic horror fiction) is more complex than that, and frankly the mind is pretty good about processing illogical and incomprehensible input in less maladaptive ways than ‘take 3d6 psychic damage and save for stun’.

And yet, I’ve played in and enjoyed Call of Cthulhu Style games, enjoyed literature of that genre, even with the underlying premise being absurd. Swollowing the moral objections to the implications of absolute, supernatural, but also still right and correct ethical system into one of many suspensions of disbelief is part of setting building like this
    That's mostly due to an incomprehension of Lovecraft's work from the people making that kind of stories and games, despite taking enough cue from it for pop culture recognition, compounded by the fact the psycho-neuroscientific knowledge of his time was quite limited or wrong compared to the one we have access, the cultural differences of he time period, and Lovecraft's own issues.

The Lovecraftian characters didn't go mad because they couldn't understand the true form of the squid-man-dragon or the like. They were just scared ****less out of their mind by the weird things they encountered, and SOME developed what nowadays we would call PTSD as a result. Most of the characters didn't have more mental issues after encountering the supernatural than before, and of those who experienced issues, they generally recovered fully after a brief period of calm. Adding to that, many encountered things that were hard to describe because it was either counter to the usual perception of the world, or because they were too scared to think clearly.

But time, imitation, and Lovecraft's deliberately unclear way of writing have eroded the concept in pop culture, and now "roll for SAN loss" has become a trope on its own.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ettin in the Playground

I think that while the Inner Planes are alternate physics in action, the Outer Planes are meant to be abstract. For example, Mount Celestia doesn't just serve as an allegory for elevating oneself to higher and higher virtues, but it is that concept made manifest.

And now I see the energy planes being in neither group as a pickle.

19. - Top - End - #649

MonkGirl

Regardless of its origins (I agree the idea was not hard pressed in Lovecraft’s own work); it is part of most Cosmic Horror RPGs (including the parts of DnD that emulate it) that despite being absurd I can embrace for the sake of the setting and enjoyment of the game within that setting.

Just like I can embrace an embodiment of Law itself, in its absolute and true manifest form, that is in fact Law incarnate and I’m not going to quibble about how as an abstract concept that doesn’t make sense to me really... is also a monster in some clockwork part of a dungeon and 50/50 I’m going to have to kill it

20. - Top - End - #650
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I had to skip two pages to get somewhat caught up but has anyone discussed the alignment of undead in relation to the balance of power in the outer planes?

Good deities usually have a strong anti-undead stance and spend lots of effort combating them. Most deities who have a portfolio including undead are evil (many neutral death gods are against undead as a form of messing with their domain as well).

From a metaphysical standpoint creating undead is putting another stone on an evil god's side of the scale and giving them that little bit more power and influence. It isn't much but in the sense that a single vote in a nationwide election isn't much, if enough people do it there is a huge change to the relative power of the gods and aligned positions.

This makes me wonder if ocean deities might encourage flooding to expand their domain or be against it to preserve the existing health of their waters.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

If it's about perceiving morality directly, that's bullcrap, because morality is evaluated and not perceived. Then it's a mere problem of insight. And what exactly stops mortal for acquiring that insight?
    Assertion, not fact.

No, wrong premises merely bring wrong conclusions without touching the laws. They violate the laws of logic (specificaly, the law of identity that we use to associate a word with an idea) because they're forcing something completely divorced from morality under the same word and pretending it's okay.
    Assertion/argument by definition.

No, that means I'm capable of processing those things as no longer matching what morality actualy is and refusing to pretend the word has a different meaning.
    Fantasy is about exploring ideas, not masquerading them behind different words.
    Just like there can be fantasy physics, there can be fantasy morality. Assuming that the laws of morality must be identical (and for identical reasons) to those of our reality is rejecting the premise of fantasy. Not to mention we don't know what the real laws of morality are for our universe, let alone the reasons.

Our own reality is just as subject or more to such complaints. In fact, there have been thousands (millions?) of man years spent arguing over what morality means. Expecting a group of writers to do better (especially when that's only a tiny fraction of their work) is blind at best.

22. - Top - End - #652

EvilClericGuy

Any moral argument that starts from the premise of infantalizing a mental competent adult person... is a non-starter.
    What about moral argument that starts from the premise that anything a (allegedly) mentally compentent adult person can't (or won't) understand is stupid and untrue and should be automatically disregarded?

23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    What about moral argument that starts from the premise that anything a (allegedly) mentally compentent adult person can't (or won't) understand is stupid and untrue and should be automatically disregarded?
    Especially when that's obviously untrue. Even in moral terms, because we haven't solved those problems for our universe over many life-times of trying.

And most mentally competent adults can't even grasp introductory QED, let alone QCD. Heck, even most professional physicists have trouble with that and don't necessarily believe it.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ettin in the Playground

My beef with alignment is that it puts the DM in a position of (fictional) supreme moral authority.

Sometimes, it is easy. Your good-aligned character burned an orphanage for fun? You are not pulling that holy sword from the stone.

But what if the DM holds strong convictions on sensible subjects? Of the kind I can't even mention on this forum? You have your character do what you consider the right thing and bam! Angels look at you with contempt.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    My beef with alignment is that it puts the DM in a position of (fictional) supreme moral authority.

Sometimes, it is easy. Your good-aligned character burned an orphanage for fun? You are not pulling that holy sword from the stone.

But what if the DM holds strong convictions on sensible subjects? Of the kind I can't even mention on this forum? You have your character do what you consider the right thing and bam! Angels look at you with contempt.
    I'll admit. I feel similarly contemptuous of alignment for different reasons--I hate the "creatures have fixed (or nearly so) alignments" thing. It's so limiting. So I've abolished it for my setting.

But the standard system, in 5e's version anyway, doesn't really have that much weight. Unless something becomes your habitual way of path of action, you can act "off-alignment" without reprecussions--alignment (for PCs anyway) is purely descriptive.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So going back to the discussion of alignments being beyond human comprehension, I can see a few takes on it.

First, good means "good as outsiders define it" rather than "good as humans define it" then I would say humans ouhght not concern themselves with the objective definitions of good and evil and instead view them as they relate to humanity.
    It would be no different than humans in the real world trying to take into account the ethical systems of ants and termites; they may exist but they dont relate to humanity.
    No.
    There is Good in the universe, good outsiders UNDERSTAND it better than humans, so they know better what is good and what is not good. Mortals lack that perspective so sometimes is dificult for then to comprehend why their actions are evil and what consequences they have in the great scheme of things.
    Its not how they see it, it IS. What changes is the grasp that certain groups have of it. The definitions, be by humans or outsiders are the conclusion they end up after tryng to understand what is Good. The diference is that outsiders are closer to the Truth

Second, if good and evil are universal but they dont actually have any detectsble consequences, they are just good and evil for their own sakes, then we get back to the gods as Abe Simpson model.
    They do have detectable consequences. There are all the kinds of efects linked to the influence of Good and Evil through the Prime material, expontaneou undead being one of then.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

This comes across as another case of intentional vagueness (in 5e, not by you), of trying to eat their cake and have it too. Alignment is descriptive... until it's not.
    5e alignment is ALWAYS descriptive.

PC alighment is "these actions are typically...", but then there are also planes, places, energies, and entities that are objective inherently Good, Evil, Lawful, Chaotic, etc.
    Those things are not arbitrarily "objectively inherently Good, Evil, Lawful, Chaotic, etc". They inherently have the traits that fits the description of a given alignment, because they are created by those traits.

See Gehenna :
    Gehenna is the plane of suspicion and greed. It is the birthplace of the yugoloths, which dwell here in great numbers. A volcanic mountain dominates each of the four layers of Gehenna, and lesser volcanic earth bergs drift in the air and smash into the greater mountains. The rocky slopes of the plane make movement here difficult and dangerous. The ground inclines at least 45 degrees almost everywhere. In places, steep cliffs and deep canyons present more challenging obstacles. Hazards include volcanic fissures that vent noxious fumes or searing flames. Gehenna has no room for mercy or compassion. The fiends living here are among the greediest and most selfish in all the multiverse.

OPTIONAL RULE: CRUEL HINDRANCE The plane's cruel nature makes it difficult for visitors to help one another. Whenever a visitor casts a spell with a beneficial effect, including a spell that restores hit points or removes a condition, the caster must first make a DC 10 Charisma saving throw. On a failed save, the spell fails, the spell slot is expended, and the action is wasted
    Gehenna isn't objectively Neutral Evil because some cosmic forces wrote "NE" on it. It the physical representation of a specific kind of mental and spiritual traits, namely suspicion and greed, which often leads people to behave like the 5e description of the neutral evil alignment. Its inhabitants consistently behave in a way that fits the description of neutral evil, and the plane influence everyone that is there to make helping others less effective, making them more likely to behave greedily and suspiciously.

If someone removed greed and suspicion from the souls and minds of all who exist, Gehenna would disappear, because it would have nothing to be the representation of.

Similarly, devils are created from the souls of people whose behavior could be described as "methodically tak[ing] what they want, within the limits of a code of tradition, loyalty, or order." The souls have any trace of personality and memory erased, except for a faint remains of in which way they did those things, and the new being is basically nothing but tendencies to take what they want within the limits of the code, until it develops new experiences and intellect which will grant it a new personality and memories. If it REALLY wanted, a devil could stop behaving that way. But most don't, because they enjoy taking what they want within the limits of the code and being themselves, and a devil that stops behaving that ways stops being a devil. Quite literally, it's the way they act that makes them be incarnations of lawful evilness.

There is no instance in 5e of "they are X alignment" without "they do X things that fit the description of the alignment".

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll admit. I feel similarly contemptuous of alignment for different reasons--I hate the "creatures have fixed (or nearly so) alignments" thing. It's so limiting. So I've abolished it for my setting.
    I get that feeling. For example, MToF made me enjoy duergar lore. They are the descendants of dwarves who went through a traumatic experience with the illithids. Enslaved, experimented on, eaten, all that fun stuff. They lost their faith in Moradin and their love for metalworking as an art, now concerning themselves only with drab survival. And for that, they were rejected by other dwarves. Do they have the potential to be great villains, thinking themselves entitled to every act of vengeance? You bet! Should duergar be always or predominantly evil? That does seem so very limiting.

On the other hand, were you to tell me that fiends aren't, in fact, evil incarnate, and that maybe celestials are the real villains here... I would think that's a different kind of limitation. Your setting doesn't actually have room for fiends and celestials, just very different creatures masquerading as those.

29. - Top - End - #659

Quote Originally Posted by Rafaelfras View Post
    No.
    There is Good in the universe, good outsiders UNDERSTAND it better than humans, so they know better what is good and what is not good. Mortals lack that perspective so sometimes is dificult for then to comprehend why their actions are evil and what consequences they have in the great scheme of things.
    Its not how they see it, it IS. What changes is the grasp that certain groups have of it. The definitions, be by humans or outsiders are the conclusion they end up after tryng to understand what is Good. The diference is that outsiders are closer to the Truth
    So basically morality in D&D is all about accepting that you are too stupid to think for yourself and that good people need to just shut up and do as their told?

Yeah, That is SO much better.

Being infantilized is almost the exact opposite of what I play D&D for. Honestly at that point I would rather just play FATAL, because atleast that game pretends that its players are mature adults.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    I get that feeling. For example, MToF made me enjoy duergar lore. They are the descendants of dwarves who went through a traumatic experience with the illithids. Enslaved, experimented on, eaten, all that fun stuff. They lost their faith in Moradin and their love for metalworking as an art, now concerning themselves only with drab survival. And for that, they were rejected by other dwarves. Do they have the potential to be great villains, thinking themselves entitled to every act of vengeance? You bet! Should duergar be always or predominantly evil? That does seem so very limiting.
    Duergars are predominantly evil because they live and are perpetuating an oppressive society/culture that make them act like harmful ****s to both non-duergars AND other duergars, due to what is rewarded and what is punished. It's possible for them to not do it, but it'd require changing their ways of living drastically, and most don't see the point.

In my Waterdeep campaign, I'm going to introduce a duergar opera singer, and who's incredibly good at it. She was raised basically all her life in Waterdeep, and never did anything particularly awful to anyone on purpose (though of course, everyone has their moments of pettiness and the like) , nor does she have any malevolent intentions.

Her father, though, lived in duergar society for years, and he himself never saw anything wrong with the soul-crushing conditions inflicted on others as long as he was doing the crushing, as he was a captain in a duergar city. His only issue is that contrarily to the ideals of stoicness and emotional detachment his culture imposed, he genuinely, intensely loved his wife, enough to defy the authority if it had come to it. It never came while his wife was alive, though. But after she died, the daughter they had together grew up to a point she manifested a great enjoyment and a talent for artistic expression. And while he knew that he had to discipline her, to make her fit in the ultra-utilitarian-no-love-for-work duergar culture, and extinguish that spark for good... he couldn't do it. So he fled to the surface with her, where she could grow up happy.

Now, that old duergar isn't a good person. He doesn't regret any of the horrible things he did as captain, and in fact is quite nostalgic of them. He is deeply ashamed of not having followed the rules his gods and realm had given him, for something as stupid as love. And now that he's very old, he wants to go out with a bang and do something to redeem himself in the eyes of his deities. He'll probably try to have a fight to the death with the PC Cleric of Moradin in my group, because at least that would be dying doing something those who awaits him in the afterlife would 200% be behind.