The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Dragon Empire: Savage Worlds

Are we still at level 6 for the new system?
    Who has already converted their character and can let me take a look at it for reference?

Also, how do I account for River's stark difference between Int and Wis? SW just has 'Smarts'. I guess for his monk abilities 'Spirit' would be the more relevant ability, but Notice (ie Perception) falls under Smarts.
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2019-04-02 at 02:07 PM.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire

Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire

Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The 'starting' level will be Level 8. So far, Azrin's sheet is the most far along, to my knowledge. The mythweavers sheet isn't quite perfect for all the homebrew, but including Resistance under Toughness would be simple as going 3T/5R.

3. - Top - End - #33

Working on converting River to SW and I have some concerns.

1. PF River has a high wis, low int. This represents the fact that he is not very book smart, but is very perceptive. Smarts now governs both aspects, meaning River would have to lose out on the large bonuses he has to Perception and Sense Motive, not to mention the Wis bonus to AC as a monk.

2. I don't see a conversion for the monk High Jump ability.

3. The PF Elemental Fist ability for Monk of the 4 Winds scales with level. The converted one does not.

4. Flurry of Blows scales with level. The Frenzy edge doesn't even come close.

5. Monk's Fast Movement scales with level. Again, SW does not.

6. Ki Pool in PF is significantly more versatile.

Overall it feels like I'm having to try really hard to make everything work, and it seems that the SW version of River isn't nearly as cool as the PF version. I spent all afternoon working on it, and even still, I'm not sure as the character advances that it will be what I want it to be.

Anyway, nothing personal RW, I'm just not feeling it with the conversion brother

For reference, this is what I came up with so far. Not complete by a long shot, but I'm gassing out.
    Spoiler: SW River (in progress)
    Show
    Name: River
    Race: Human
    Level/Rank: Level 8, Veteran Rank
    Bennies:
    PP: 20/20
    Pace: 8
    Toughness:
    Resistance:
    Parry:
    Charisma:
    Encumbrance: 5x Str die

Traits: +9 (5 + 1 for Hindrance + 3 at ranks)
    Strength: d10 (+3)
    Agility: d8 (+2)
    Smarts: d4
    Spirit: d8 (+2)
    Vigor: d8 (+2)

Skills: (15)
    Fighting/Martial Arts (difference???)
    Notice
    Stealth
    Throwing
    Boating

Hindrances: (1 Major and 2 Minor)
    Code of Honor (Major): Honor is very important to your character. He keeps his word, won’t abuse or kill prisoners, and generally tries to operate within his world’s particular notion of proper gentlemanly or ladylike behavior.
    Loyal (Minor): Never leave a friend behind.
    Outsider (Minor): -2 Charisma outside of temple of Irori or other monks

EDGES:
    (Human) Arcane Background (Ki)

(Hindrance Points) Martial Artist (Req: Fighting or Martial Arts d6)
    The character is experienced fighting hand to hand without a weapon. They are never considered unarmed, and their unarmed strikes deal +1 damage.

(Level 2) Unarmored Fighter (Req: Martial Artist)
    The character has adapted to fighting without armor for ease of movement. While wearing no armor, the character gains 2 Pace and +1 to Dodge checks, and enemy ranged attacks suffer a -1 chance to hit the character.

(Level 3) +1 Attribute

SEASONED

(Level 4) +1 Attribute

(Level 5) Frenzy (Req: Seasoned; Fighting d10)
    Frenzied fighters make fast and furious melee attacks, sacrificing finesse for raw speed. This allows them to make an extra Fighting attack per round at a -2 penalty to all Fighting rolls. This attack must be taken at the same time as another Fighting attack though it may target any two foes adjacent to the hero (Wild Cards roll two Fighting dice and one Wild Die). The -2 penalty is subtracted from all attacks. A character armed with two weapons still only makes one extra attack.

(Level 6) Marid Style (Req: Seasoned, Martial Artist, Arcane Background (Ki), Elemental Fist power)
    The character’s familiarity with channeling elemental cold through their unarmed strikes allows them to do so with great ease. The character’s unarmed attacks may deal cold damage if he so chooses. Further, when dealing cold damage with normal attacks or using Elemental Fist to deal cold damage, the character may choose to deal damage against Resistance instead of Toughness.

VETERAN

(Level 7) +1 Attribute

(Level 8) Ki Strike (Req: Seasoned, Martial Artist, Arcane Background (Ki))
    When making unarmed basic attacks, or unarmed attacks as part of a Talent or Ki Power, the character may spend 1 PP. The attack is treated as magic, cold iron, or silver, as the character chooses. At Veteran Rank, the attack may also be treated as Law aligned. At Heroic Rank, the attack may also be treated as adamantium.

Spells/Powers/etc.: (please divide by type/’class’)
    Martial Arts/Ki:
    -Martial artists begin level 1 with 1 martial talent.
    -At each odd numbered level after 1, a martial artist learns a new martial talent for free. (+4)
    -Ki users can access the optional ki power forms of martial talents.
    -A ki user begins level 1 with 1 ki power. These can be used to learn martial talents with optional ki powers, if desired.
    -At each new Rank, a ki user learns a new ki power for free. These can be used to learn martial talents with optional ki powers, if desired. (+3)

Martial Talents (x4)
    (1) Undecided - lack of options
    (3) Slow Fall (Martial Arts) - Talent: Passive. The character may slide safely down walls, suffering no fall damage as long as there is an adjacent wall. | Ki Power: The character may slow their descent during a fall without a wall to cling to. Costs 1 PP per Range 4 of the fall. Allies in physical contact may be affected, at +1 PP cost per target.
    (5) Deflect Arrows (Martial Arts) - Talent: Passive. Once per round, when targeted by a physical projectile attack, the user may cause the attack to suffer a -4 penalty. | Ki Power: Reaction. When the Deflect Arrows Talent causes a projectile to miss, the user may catch and infuse the projectile with ki, then launch it back at the attacker, using Martial Arts in place of Ranged to hit. Ammunition such as arrows and bullets deals Str+1 damage, while thrown weapons retain their normal damage values. Costs 1 PP.
    (7) Undecided - lack of options

Ki Powers (x3)
    (Novice) Elemental Fist (Martial Arts) - Ki Power:
    This attack inflicts 1d6 additional damage. The attack takes on the element of acid, cold, electricity, or fire. Costs 1 PP.
    (Seasoned) Scorpion Strike (Martial Arts) - Ki Power:
    By striking a pressure point, this attack freezes the chakras in the target’s legs, rendering them stiff as boards. The target’s Pace becomes 1 for 1 round, and it cannot make leg-based attacks. Costs 1 PP.
    (Veteran) Body Adjustment (Martial Arts (Ki only), Psionics) - Buff-type action.
    The user consciously directs and enhances their body’s healing process. Heals the user of 1 Wound. Costs 1 PP. The user may spend +2 PP to use this while Shaken, removing Shaken as well.
    Show

Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryk View Post
    Working on converting River to SW and I have some concerns.
    I'll try to address each of these as best as I can.

1. PF River has a high wis, low int. This represents the fact that he is not very book smart, but is very perceptive. Smarts now governs both aspects, meaning River would have to lose out on the large bonuses he has to Perception and Sense Motive, not to mention the Wis bonus to AC as a monk.
    This is probably best translated as the Clueless Hindrance, which is a -2 penalty to Smarts checks for common knowledge. This wouldn't penalize any aspects of Smarts that would govern problem solving and perception, but would represent his sheltered monastic life and lack of academic smarts.

As for the Wis to AC, I made the Unarmored Fighter mostly with this in mind. There aren't a lot of ways to improve defenses against ranged attacks compared to melee attacks, so it felt more useful to give it that.

2. I don't see a conversion for the monk High Jump ability.
    Leaping Dragon Ki Power should work for this.

3. The PF Elemental Fist ability for Monk of the 4 Winds scales with level. The converted one does not.
    SW is a comparatively small numbers system compared to PF. There's not a lot of easy ways for things to scale, and progression is typically more about gaining more options. Things have been made to scale with Traits instead - casters' spells get stronger with higher Smarts/Spirit depending on their specialty, Ki Powers get stronger with higher Strength (or sometimes Agility/Vigor, though there aren't any examples of this yet).

4. Flurry of Blows scales with level. The Frenzy edge doesn't even come close.
    Due to the way SW works (exploding dice), a large number of attacks in the same round can get very crazy very fast. Typically, multi-attack progression is about removing penalties to make them more reliable rather than adding more attacks. The largest number of basic attacks in a round while remaining reliable would be combining Ambidextrous, Two-Fisted, and Improved Frenzy. This removes the penalty for attacking with the offhand, removes the multiaction penalty for attacking with two weapons (or body parts), and allows a third attack, all at no penalty. Until Frenzy is upgraded to Improved, this would be -2/-2/-2, afterwards it would be 0/0/0 (not taking into account any bonuses).

A character with just Ambidextrous and Two-Fisted would be at 0/0. A bit more reliable than Frenzy.

I've seen characters with just Two-Fisted and no Ambidextrous who do well, characters with just Frenzy who do well, and also a character with Berserk, Ambidextrous, Two-Fisted, and Improved Frenzy. This same character once grappled a house-sized griffon by the face and beat its checks to escape for 4 continuous rounds while being blasted in the face with lightning breath, and while also taking ramping fatigue penalties due to the sheer size difference.

5. Monk's Fast Movement scales with level. Again, SW does not.
    The only real movement changing Edge in SW is Fleet-Footed.

I also included Unarmored Fighter, which is sort of a fusion of the Fleet-Footed and Dodge Edges (and stacks with both). So with both Unarmored Fighter and Fleet-Footed you'd have Pace 10, nearly double the land speed of most people, and would be rolling a d10 for extra movement speed whenever you run, for a top speed of 20 spaces. I made it with fusing the Monk AC bonus and Fast Movement in mind, so that it would cost fewer Edges to emulate.

Currently you have Pace 8, and roll the standard d6 for extra movement speed when you run, for a top speed of 14 spaces.

6. Ki Pool in PF is significantly more versatile.
    Feel free to give me a list of monk features and PoW maneuvers you'd like to see converted, as the others did with spells. I'll go through it systematically.

For reference, this is what I came up with so far. Not complete by a long shot, but I'm gassing out.
    Spoiler: SW River (in progress)
    Show
    Bennies:
    Toughness:
    Resistance:
    Parry:
    Charisma:

Fighting/Martial Arts (difference???)
    Notice
    Stealth
    Throwing
    Boating

Code of Honor (Major): Honor is very important to your character. He keeps his word, won’t abuse or kill prisoners, and generally tries to operate within his world’s particular notion of proper gentlemanly or ladylike behavior.

EDGES:

The character is experienced fighting hand to hand without a weapon. They are never considered unarmed, and their unarmed strikes deal +1 damage.

(Level 2) Unarmored Fighter (Req: Martial Artist)
    The character has adapted to fighting without armor for ease of movement. While wearing no armor, the character gains 2 Pace and +1 to Dodge checks, and enemy ranged attacks suffer a -1 chance to hit the character.

(Level 3) +1 Attribute

SEASONED

(Level 4) +1 Attribute

(Level 5) Frenzy (Req: Seasoned; Fighting d10)
    Frenzied fighters make fast and furious melee attacks, sacrificing finesse for raw speed. This allows them to make an extra Fighting attack per round at a -2 penalty to all Fighting rolls. This attack must be taken at the same time as another Fighting attack though it may target any two foes adjacent to the hero (Wild Cards roll two Fighting dice and one Wild Die). The -2 penalty is subtracted from all attacks. A character armed with two weapons still only makes one extra attack.

(Level 6) Marid Style (Req: Seasoned, Martial Artist, Arcane Background (Ki), Elemental Fist power)
    The character’s familiarity with channeling elemental cold through their unarmed strikes allows them to do so with great ease. The character’s unarmed attacks may deal cold damage if he so chooses. Further, when dealing cold damage with normal attacks or using Elemental Fist to deal cold damage, the character may choose to deal damage against Resistance instead of Toughness.

VETERAN

(Level 7) +1 Attribute

(Level 8) Ki Strike (Req: Seasoned, Martial Artist, Arcane Background (Ki))
    When making unarmed basic attacks, or unarmed attacks as part of a Talent or Ki Power, the character may spend 1 PP. The attack is treated as magic, cold iron, or silver, as the character chooses. At Veteran Rank, the attack may also be treated as Law aligned. At Heroic Rank, the attack may also be treated as adamantium.

Martial Arts/Ki:
    -At each odd numbered level after 1, a martial artist learns a new martial talent for free. (+4)
    -A ki user begins level 1 with 1 ki power. These can be used to learn martial talents with optional ki powers, if desired.
    -At each new Rank, a ki user learns a new ki power for free. These can be used to learn martial talents with optional ki powers, if desired. (+3)

Martial Talents (x4)
    (1) Undecided - lack of options
    (3) Slow Fall (Martial Arts) - Talent: Passive. The character may slide safely down walls, suffering no fall damage as long as there is an adjacent wall. | Ki Power: The character may slow their descent during a fall without a wall to cling to. Costs 1 PP per Range 4 of the fall. Allies in physical contact may be affected, at +1 PP cost per target.
    (5) Deflect Arrows (Martial Arts) - Talent: Passive. Once per round, when targeted by a physical projectile attack, the user may cause the attack to suffer a -4 penalty. | Ki Power: Reaction. When the Deflect Arrows Talent causes a projectile to miss, the user may catch and infuse the projectile with ki, then launch it back at the attacker, using Martial Arts in place of Ranged to hit. Ammunition such as arrows and bullets deals Str+1 damage, while thrown weapons retain their normal damage values. Costs 1 PP.
    (7) Undecided - lack of options

Ki Powers (x3)
    This attack inflicts 1d6 additional damage. The attack takes on the element of acid, cold, electricity, or fire. Costs 1 PP.
    (Seasoned) Scorpion Strike (Martial Arts) - Ki Power:
    By striking a pressure point, this attack freezes the chakras in the target’s legs, rendering them stiff as boards. The target’s Pace becomes 1 for 1 round, and it cannot make leg-based attacks. Costs 1 PP.
    (Veteran) Body Adjustment (Martial Arts (Ki only), Psionics) - Buff-type action.
    The user consciously directs and enhances their body’s healing process. Heals the user of 1 Wound. Costs 1 PP. The user may spend +2 PP to use this while Shaken, removing Shaken as well.
    The difference between Fighting and Martial Arts is that Fighting is used for basic attacks, while Martial Arts is used for Talents and Ki Powers.

Ki Powers such as Body Adjustment or the free fall version of Slow Fall would use Martial Arts as a 'casting' check, as if they were a spell. Talents and Ki Powers that use basic attacks, such as Elemental Fist or Scorpion Strike, would use the higher of Fighting or Martial Arts. I don't think I codified that last bit, so I added it to the definitions section of the Abilities doc.

You'll probably want the Dodge skill (not the Edge), since it determines Parry. The Throwing skill was also merged into Shooting, making a single Ranged skill which is a bit more versatile.

5. - Top - End - #35

Ok, thanks for addressing all that man, I'll have another go at it when I get some free time again I'm doing some refresher training at work this week, so I will be fairly busy. Also, I had forgotten about exploding dice, so I can see how things might get out of hand with too many rolls.
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Roger that. Hopefully we can find some things to make new-River feel just as good as old-River, even if a little bit different.

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by RandomWombat View Post
    Roger that. Hopefully we can find some things to make new-River feel just as good as old-River, even if a little bit different.
    Sounds good.

The man River is following reaches the intersection, stopping to look around. Spying a shop with a good view of the intersection, he reaches up and ruffles his hair, giving himself a more disheveled look. Running over to the store with a distraught expression, the Asmodean agent slips inside and out of sight of the street.
    What kind of shop is it?
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The sign reads "Nelebrie and Deletrilb's Scriptorium."

9. - Top - End - #39

Been a while since we heard from Archy...
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #40

Hey RW,
    Took another thorough look at River's SW build with the counter-points you gave me in consideration. I've come up with some tweaks that I would like have implemented, if you are agreeable. Let me know what you think.

Spoiler: Change Wishlist
    Show
    1. Include Notice as a Skill under Spirit as well as Smarts reflecting the Wisdom side of River's character. I see you have Guts under both Spirit and Vigor, Martial Arts is under both Strength and Vigor, and Athletics is under both Strength and Agility.
    2. Make ‘Scorpion Strike’ a Martial Talent instead of a Ki Power. This would help fill my currently vacant 7th level Martial Talent, in addition to my point below.
    3. Convert the following clause from the PF Ki Pool ability for inclusion into the ‘Ki Strike’ Edge
      "By spending 1 point from his ki pool, a monk can do one of the following:
      -Make one additional attack at his highest attack bonus when making a flurry of blows attack, or
      -Increase his speed by 20 feet for 1 round, or
      -Give himself a +4 dodge bonus to AC for 1 round.”

(Alternatively, convert the clause into its own Ki Power available at Seasoned rank IF Scorpion Strike can be changed to a Martial Talent. This option may be more balanced.)
    4. Convert the PF Monk ability ‘Abundant Step’ into a Heroic tier Martial Talent
    5. Switch ‘Slow Time’ Ki Power to Heroic instead of Legendary to reflect PF's M4W build. There are currently no Heroic Ki Powers anyway.
    6. Consider changing ‘Aspect Master’ Edge from Heroic to Legendary tier. It is normally not available until 17th level in PF, but in SW it would be available by 11th level. This change would also bump the ‘Immortality’ Edge back a level too, since Aspect Master is a pre-req.

Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Include Notice as a Skill under Spirit as well as Smarts reflecting the Wisdom side of River's character. I see you have Guts under both Spirit and Vigor, Martial Arts is under both Strength and Vigor, and Athletics is under both Strength and Agility.
    The only thing is that Spirit in SW leans more towards Charisma than Wisdom, aside from inheriting some of the Will Save functions. I'm not sure Notice would make a lot of sense under Spirit normally; though as a martial artist's sixth sense it might. I could add this as a clause under the Martial Artist Edge. That should work?

Make ‘Scorpion Strike’ a Martial Talent instead of a Ki Power. This would help fill my currently vacant 7th level Martial Talent, in addition to my point below.
    Done. Did Stunning Fist as well to be symmetrical.

Convert the following clause from the PF Ki Pool ability for inclusion into the ‘Ki Strike’ Edge
    "By spending 1 point from his ki pool, a monk can do one of the following:
    -Make one additional attack at his highest attack bonus when making a flurry of blows attack, or
    -Increase his speed by 20 feet for 1 round, or
    -Give himself a +4 dodge bonus to AC for 1 round.”

(Alternatively, convert the clause into its own Ki Power available at Seasoned rank IF Scorpion Strike can be changed to a Martial Talent. This option may be more balanced.)
    Added Ki Enhancement as a Seasoned power.

Convert the PF Monk ability ‘Abundant Step’ into a Heroic tier Martial Talent
    I'll just add Dimension Door, since Abundant Step just uses Dimension Door and it'll probably come up anyways.

Switch ‘Slow Time’ Ki Power to Heroic instead of Legendary to reflect PF's M4W build. There are currently no Heroic Ki Powers anyway.
    Done.

Consider changing ‘Aspect Master’ Edge from Heroic to Legendary tier. It is normally not available until 17th level in PF, but in SW it would be available by 11th level. This change would also bump the ‘Immortality’ Edge back a level too, since Aspect Master is a pre-req.[/LIST]
    Done.

12. - Top - End - #42

The only thing is that Spirit in SW leans more towards Charisma than Wisdom, aside from inheriting some of the Will Save functions. I'm not sure Notice would make a lot of sense under Spirit normally; though as a martial artist's sixth sense it might. I could add this as a clause under the Martial Artist Edge. That should work?
    Sweet, that works for me. I only asked because I saw that you had doubled-up some of the other skills, and this description of Spirit from the rulebook, "Spirit is the spiritual side of your hero, reflecting his inner wisdom and willpower." Regardless, I'm happy with your solution.

Done. Did Stunning Fist as well to be symmetrical.
    One other that I overlooked and had put into my build; Could you make Leaping Dragon work as a Talent as well? If we could do that, I think I would be all set and I can start finalizing my character sheet.

I'll just add Dimension Door, since Abundant Step just uses Dimension Door and it'll probably come up anyways.
    I just looked over this again and realized that Abundant Step is replaced by Slow Time in the M4W build, so I won't end up using it anyway. Also, as such, I think Dimension Door should probably be a Heroic tier ability rather than a Seasoned tier ability. It would probably be OP if you leave it there.

Thanks for being so accommodating man, it's looking a lot better to me now than I initially thought

Here's a more current (but still in progress) copy of my character sheet for River. I currently have Leaping Dragon as a Talent, pending your ruling on that. Otherwise I think I mostly just have to disperse my skill points, fill in equipment, and I may swap an Edge or two depending on how I can build the Flurry of Blows the way you described previously, but we'll see.

Spoiler: River (in progress)
    Show
    Bennies:
    Toughness:
    Resistance:
    Parry:
    Charisma:

Martial Arts
    Ranged
    Notice
    Stealth
    Dodge
    Athletics
    Boating

EDGES:

The character is experienced fighting hand to hand without a weapon. They are never considered unarmed, and their unarmed strikes deal +1 damage. A Martial Artist is in tune with the flow of the world around them, and may use the higher of Smarts or Spirit as the associated Trait for the Notice skill.

(2) Unarmored Fighter (Req: Martial Artist)

(3) +1 Attribute

SEASONED

(4) +1 Attribute

(5) Frenzy (Req: Seasoned; Fighting d10)

(6) Marid Style (Req: Seasoned, Martial Artist, Arcane Background (Ki), Elemental Fist power)

VETERAN

(7) +1 Attribute

(8) Ki Strike (Req: Seasoned, Martial Artist, Arcane Background (Ki))

Martial Arts/Ki:

Martial Talents (x4)
    (1) Leaping Dragon (Martial Arts) - Ki Power: Buff-type action. The user leaps up to a range of [Casting Linked Trait] die value, both vertically and horizontally; the user ignores fall damage for this distance, but no greater. This movement does not provoke disengagement attacks. A basic attack can be made at any point during the leap, at a -3 penalty to hit, using the character’s main action for the round. This penalty decreases by 1 for each Rank past Novice the character has (to a final result of +1 at Rank 5). Costs 2 PP.

(7) Scorpion Strike (Martial Arts) - Talent: By striking a pressure point, this attack lowers the target’s Pace by 1. | Ki Power: By striking a pressure point, this attack freezes the chakras in the target’s legs, rendering them stiff as boards. The target’s Pace becomes 1 for 1 round, and it cannot make leg-based attacks. Costs 1 PP.

Ki Powers (x3)

(Seasoned) Ki Enhancement (Martial Arts (Ki Power only)) - Ki Power: Buff-type action. The user manipulates the flow of ki in their body to enhance their abilities. The user may: reduce the multiaction penalty of attacks with different limbs/weapons by 1 per 1 PP spent; increase their Pace by 1 per 1 PP spent; and/or increase their Parry, Toughness, and/or Resistance by 1 for 1 PP each. Multiple effects may be activated at once, but only the first two may be applied multiple times. The effects last for 1 round.

Inventory: ($500 starting plus whatever)

Equipment/Magic Item Slots:
    Head:
    Eyes:
    Shoulders:
    Arms:
    Hands:
    Torso (under):
    Torso (over):
    Belt:
    Legs:
    Feet:
    Ring 1:
    Ring 2:
    Weapons:
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Dimension Door should be fine in Seasoned, it's quite expensive to use and other teleportation spells can go in later Ranks.

I've added a Talent level to Leaping Dragon as well. From the looks of things I had originally meant to do this, but forgot to finish it.

14. - Top - End - #44

Excellent, then I think I should be good to go! I will try and finalize everything else this week, and I'll let you know if any other questions pop up. Thanks again man :D
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

No problem, glad I was able to help! I should probably get to finishing the Familiar/Animal Companion/Eidolon stuff sometime soon. My last final is on next monday.

16. - Top - End - #46

Polishing up my new character sheet and I have some more questions...

Spoiler: Questions
    Show
    Abilities
    1. Can we include the 5' reach from the Marid Style feat into the Marid Style Edge?
    2. Could you create Edges for the Marid Spirit and Marid Coldsnap Feats?
    3. Please clarify the explanation for the Body Adjustment Ki Power; "The user consciously directs and enhances their body’s healing process. Heals the user of 1 Wound. Costs 1 PP. The user may spend +2 PP to use this while Shaken, removing Shaken as well."
    Does this mean Removing Shaken costs 2 PP on top of the 1 PP for removing the Wound for a total of 3, or that it costs 2 PP total to do both?

Equipment
    4. What slot do Amulets go in?
    5. I have 2 Hunter's Last Works. Can you convert that to SW?
    6. Can you explain the "+1 T/R to Torso" under Expeditious Silken Ceremonial Armor? Does that mean it only applies the +1 if the opponent is specifically targeting the torso? That seems very specific...
    7. Would shuriken have the same stats as daggers?
    8. Is the weight of items the same in SW as PF? River's light load in PF was 76 lbs, now it's only 50.

General
    9. How many Bennies do we get, and how are you awarding them?
    10. Are there ways to increase your hit modifier for attack rolls, or are you strictly limited to your Fighting die? (or in my case Martial Arts)
    11. Why are we using Dodge for calculating Parry instead of Fighting (or Martial Arts), as in the book?
    12. In your General/Chargen document, you specify 16 skill points on character creation instead of 15 as per the handbook. Was that deliberate? Also, what does chargen mean?

I've also included my character sheet below, which is nearly finalized aside from some minor tweaks I may yet make. I've included one in the format you gave RW, and one I built for my own use. Anyway, I will be busy from now til Tuesday over the Easter weekend as I'll be away visiting family, but I will still be checking in. Cheers!

Spoiler: Character Sheet (GITP/Condensed Format)
    Show
    General
    • Name: River
    • Race: Human
    • Level/Rank: Level 8, Veteran Rank
    • Bennies:
    • PP: 20/20
    • Pace: 10
    • Toughness: 7
    • Resistance: 7
    • Parry: 6
    • Charisma: -2
    • Encumbrance: 50

Traits
    • Strength: d10 (+3)
    • Agility: d8 (+2)
    • Smarts: d4
    • Spirit: d8 (+2)
    • Vigor: d8 (+2)

Skills
    • Martial Arts: d10
    • Ranged: d6
    • Notice: d8
    • Stealth: d6
    • Dodge: d8
    • Athletics: d10

Hindrances
    • Code of Honor (Major)
    • Loyal (Minor)
    • Outsider (Minor)

Edges
    • Arcane Background (Ki)
    • Martial Artist
    • Unarmored Fighter
    • Two-Fisted
    • Frenzy
    • Marid Style
    • Ki Strike

Spells/Powers/etc.

Martial Talents
    • Leaping Dragon
    • Slow Fall
    • Deflect Arrows
    • Scorpion Strike

Ki Powers
    • Elemental Fist
    • Ki Enhancement
    • Body Adjustment

Inventory
    • Backpack
    • Bedroll
    • Blanket
    • Flint and Steel
    • Mug/Tankard, clay
    • Pot, iron
    • Rope, hemp (50 ft.)
    • Tent
    • Canteen
    • Trail Rations (x7)
    • Monk's outfit
    • Dagger
    • Handaxe
    • Ioun Torch
    • Potion of CLW (Asmodeans)

Equipment/Magic Item Slots
    • Head:
    • Eyes:
    • Shoulders:
    • Arms:
    • Hands:
    • Torso (under): Amulet of Mighty Fists
    • Torso (over): Expeditious Silken Ceremonial Armor
    • Belt: Belt of Tumbling
    • Legs:
    • Feet:
    • Ring 1: Ring of Heroes
    • Ring 2: Dream Tender Ring

Weapons
    • Shuriken (x45)
    • Hunter's Last Works (x2)

Spoiler: Character Sheet Link (Full Format)
    Show
    This is the actual full character sheet I built with tabs for the various sections. I'll probably dress it up a little if I get some time, but everything is there. If anyone wants a copy of it to use for themselves, let me know ;)
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2019-04-17 at 02:32 PM.
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Abilities
    1. Can we include the 5' reach from the Marid Style feat into the Marid Style Edge?
    2. Could you create Edges for the Marid Spirit and Marid Coldsnap Feats?
    3. Please clarify the explanation for the Body Adjustment Ki Power; "The user consciously directs and enhances their body’s healing process. Heals the user of 1 Wound. Costs 1 PP. The user may spend +2 PP to use this while Shaken, removing Shaken as well."
    Does this mean Removing Shaken costs 2 PP on top of the 1 PP for removing the Wound for a total of 3, or that it costs 2 PP total to do both?
    1. Sure. Added.
    2. Can do. Added.
    3. Normally, techniques/spells/powers cannot be used while Shaken. For an extra 2 PP on top of the 1 PP, for 3 PP total, the power can be used while Shaken to remove Shaken and then perform the healing effect.

Equipment
    4. What slot do Amulets go in?
    5. I have 2 Hunter's Last Works. Can you convert that to SW?
    6. Can you explain the "+1 T/R to Torso" under Expeditious Silken Ceremonial Armor? Does that mean it only applies the +1 if the opponent is specifically targeting the torso? That seems very specific...
    7. Would shuriken have the same stats as daggers?
    8. Is the weight of items the same in SW as PF? River's light load in PF was 76 lbs, now it's only 50.
    4. I forgot to include a Neck slot, my bad. Thanks for proofreading
    5. Missed those, didn't see them listed on any character sheets when I was looking through. Added.
    6. Since it is a vest, it protects only the torso. Attacks that are not Called Shots are assumed to target center of mass, ie. the torso. So it would not protect against arm/leg/head Called Shots.
    7. I'd say since they're made for throwing, they'd have slightly better range, but not be as useful in melee. Probably a 4/8/16 range, the same as a Sling, and a -1 accuracy penalty to using them as melee weapons. Aside from that treat them as daggers.
    8. It is not. We're abstracting most of the weight, and calculating it in terms of 'big items' carried. I added it under Carrying Capacity in the General doct. I think HVS was actually the one who came up with it.

General
    9. How many Bennies do we get, and how are you awarding them?
    10. Are there ways to increase your hit modifier for attack rolls, or are you strictly limited to your Fighting die? (or in my case Martial Arts)
    11. Why are we using Dodge for calculating Parry instead of Fighting (or Martial Arts), as in the book?
    12. In your General/Chargen document, you specify 16 skill points on character creation instead of 15 as per the handbook. Was that deliberate? Also, what does chargen mean?
    9. Characters without a Hindrance, Edge, etc. that modifies it have 3 max Bennies. These normally refill at the end of each session, but in the case of PbP they'll refill after a 'rest.' So usually every day, with a few exceptions.
    10. Mostly buffs from spells/abilities/items. There is also the gangup bonus, which gives +1 on melee attacks per other ally 'threatening' a target.
    11. Mainly so that those who want to make an evasive character who isn't also a good fighter can do so, by divorcing it from melee accuracy. The counterbalance was an extra 1 Skill Point added for all characters. It's a houserule my SW group has used for a long time and I feel like it's useful flavorfully.
    12. See above for the skill point. Chargen is just a shorthand for 'character generation' or character creation.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2019-04-19 at 05:10 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48

Excellent, that all makes sense to me
    😁 Thanks again RW. Happy Easter everyone!
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Happy to help. The google sheet looks nice as well, very simple and effective. I'd probably recommend the others use it as well, it has a lot more direction than my simple in-post one.

20. - Top - End - #50

The Asmodean approaches the guard post, where another guard is stationed outside watching the intersection - the elf from before must be inside dealing with Denver. The man tries speaking with the guard, who looks back at the guard post door nervously and shakes his head while replying. Frowning, the Asmodean takes a step back and looks around. After seemingly debating his options, he nods to the guard and walks on down the street away from the guard post, towards the west side of the city.
    Can we get a graphic of roughly where everyone/everything is?
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #51

Alright, I think my conversion is complete. I tweaked a few things, mostly to focus on building up the 'Flurry of Blows', so I had to push the Marid Style feats to future levels, as well as dropping a stat increase until next level. Here's the link to my Character Sheet (as well as the summarized version below). Take a look and see if I've messed up or missed anything.

Spoiler: River
    Show
    L-N Human, Veteran Rank (Level 8)

General
    • Bennies: 3/3 (+1 Hero Token and Ring of Heroes)
    • PP: 20/20
    • Pace: 10 (Running die = d8)
    • Toughness: 6
    • Resistance: 7
    • Parry: 6
    • Charisma: -2
    • Encumbrance: 50

Traits
    • Strength: d10
    • Agility: d8
    • Smarts: d4
    • Spirit: d8
    • Vigor: d6

Skills
    • Martial Arts: d10
    • Ranged: d6
    • Notice: d8
    • Stealth: d6
    • Dodge: d8
    • Athletics: d10

Hindrances
    • Code of Honor (Major)
    • Loyal (Minor)
    • Outsider (Minor)

Edges
    • Arcane Background (Ki)
    • Martial Artist
    • Unarmored Fighter
    • Two-Fisted
    • Ki Strike
    • Frenzy
    • Ambidextrous
    • Improved Frenzy

Spells/Powers/etc.

Martial Talents
    • Leaping Dragon
    • Slow Fall
    • Deflect Arrows
    • Scorpion Strike

Ki Powers
    • Elemental Fist
    • Ki Enhancement
    • Body Adjustment

Inventory
    • Backpack
    • Bedroll
    • Blanket
    • Flint and Steel
    • Mug/Tankard, clay
    • Pot, iron
    • Rope, hemp (50 ft.)
    • Tent
    • Canteen
    • Trail Rations (x7)
    • Monk's outfit
    • Dagger
    • Handaxe
    • Ioun Torch
    • Potion of CLW (Asmodeans)

Equipment/Magic Item Slots
    • Head:
    • Eyes:
    • Neck: Amulet of Mighty Fists
    • Shoulders:
    • Arms:
    • Hands:
    • Torso (under): Amulet of Mighty Fists
    • Torso (over): Expeditious Silken Ceremonial Armor
    • Belt: Belt of Tumbling
    • Legs:
    • Feet:
    • Ring 1: Ring of Heroes
    • Ring 2: Dream Tender Ring

Weapons
    • Shuriken (x45)
    • Hunter's Last Works (x2)

Last edited by Aeryk; 2019-04-24 at 05:09 PM.
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Can we get a graphic of roughly where everyone/everything is?
    Sure.
    @HVS about where in regards to the guard post and in what direction were the others waiting? I recall you wanted to be around the corner, and it's a four way intersection, so there are a lot of corners it could be.

As for River's SW sheet, everything seems to check out nicely.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Not really sure without seeing the map. Initially would have been positioned in cover from the abandoned building, then moving as directed by River to stay out of sight once the Asmodean started approaching. Happy for you to put us where ever makes sense to continue staying out of sight.

Aeryk, I saw you don't have any points in fighting, just in martial arts. I've been splitting points between those two in my build - can we make attack rolls with martial arts instead of fighting if we have the skill?

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by H. Von Studley View Post
    Aeryk, I saw you don't have any points in fighting, just in martial arts. I've been splitting points between those two in my build - can we make attack rolls with martial arts instead of fighting if we have the skill?
    That was my understanding. I really hope so, because I don't have the points to support both...
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah, I've been having a hard time covering Ed's skills as well. I think he's going to be a bit worse at most things than he is under PF rules. It would definitely help to have attack rolls covered by the MA skill.

Is this the case already RW? Or if not, could we house rule it to work that way?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

For Martial powers that modify attacks, you use the higher of Fighting or Martial Arts. For those that are not attacks, Martial Arts is used to 'cast' them. So when River uses Scorpion Strike, he can use the higher of Fighting and Martial Arts. When he uses Body Adjustment, he would only be able to use Martial Arts. Some of them, like Deflect Arrows' counter throw and bow/gun techniques, allow the use of Martial Arts instead of Ranged if it is higher.

So Fighting is still used for normal attacks, wild attacks, and grapples. If you only attack with your Arts this can technically be avoided most of the time, but the 'no powers when Shaken' rule messes that up a bit if you need to act while Shaken. That may also be a problem for River's flurries of blows though, now that I think of it, due to the 'one power per turn' rule. If Aeryk wants to focus purely on martial arts, it could be a good reason to add a flurry of blows as a talent/power after all. In that case all he would be losing out on is grappling and wild attacks, which would make sense for a monastic fighting style focused on striking.

Would you like me to add a Flurry power, modify Ki Manipulation a bit, and that'd free up his Two-Fisted and Frenzy to take different Edges?

For the area around you, probably something like this.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Could we just rule it so that basic attacks could use the higher of fighting or martial arts? I'm struggling to allocate all my skills effectively, especially given that Ed needs to cover more situational things like sailing, persuasion and knowledge religion. It's also tougher when we have to throw a few points in dodge.

Not having to take points in fighting would help a lot, even if it means losing grapple as a trade off.

28. - Top - End - #58

RW, not sure, that might work but I'd have to see it to know for sure. I definitely agree with HVS though, it is difficult to distribute skill points effectively (for sure resonating with the dodge comment).

Also, not sure what you mean about the FoB being messed up due to 1 power/turn. Currently that is done through Edges, so I'm not using any powers unless I add one of my ki powers or martial talents to the attack, right?

It would be nice to be able to use MA in place of fighting somehow.
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2019-04-26 at 10:13 AM.
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by H. Von Studley View Post
    Could we just rule it so that basic attacks could use the higher of fighting or martial arts? I'm struggling to allocate all my skills effectively, especially given that Ed needs to cover more situational things like sailing, persuasion and knowledge religion. It's also tougher when we have to throw a few points in dodge.

Not having to take points in fighting would help a lot, even if it means losing grapple as a trade off.
    Thing is, that'd make Fighting effectively obsolete, since everyone would just be taking specialized Martial Arts instead.

RW, not sure, that might work but I'd have to see it to know for sure. I definitely agree with HVS though, it is difficult to distribute skill points effectively (for sure resonating with the dodge comment).

Also, not sure what you mean about the FoB being messed up due to 1 power/turn. Currently that is done through Edges, so I'm not using any powers unless I add one of my ki powers or martial talents to the attack, right?

It would be nice to be able to use MA in place of fighting somehow.
    Since he can only use 1 power/turn, he would have to make the rest of the attacks as basic attacks, which would be going off of the untrained Fighting. It wouldn't be an uncombo if Martial Arts was allowed for basic attacks, but as mentioned that would leave Fighting as rather obsolete.

For some perspective, it isn't entirely out of the ordinary for a character to have spread out skills at d4 or d6 and still cover their roles effectively. This is a character sheet from my character in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon campaign:

Spoiler
    Show
    Pokémon: Rotom (Levitate- Resistant to Ground Type Moves)
    Level 16, Legendary Rank
    Strength: d8
    Agility: d8
    Smarts: d8
    Spirit: d10
    Vigor: d12
    Toughness: 10 / Resist: 9
    Parry: 6+1(Junkyard Buckler)
    Wounds: 0/3
    Injuries: 0
    Fatigue: 0
    PP: 30/30
    Bennies: 3/3 / Support: 1/1
    Pace: 6
    Charisma: 0
    Skills:
    climbing (strength): d6
    fighting (agility): d4
    dodge (agility): d8
    ranged (agility): d6
    lockpicking (agility): d4
    stealth (agility): d4
    knowledge – read/write English (smarts): d6
    survival (smarts): d6
    notice (smarts): d6
    tracking (smarts): d6
    Hindrances:
    Major
    -Bad Luck –
    Minor
    -Loyal-
    -Honest-
    Edges:
    -Brawny: +1 Toughness, higher carrying capacity (8x Strength)
    -Phasing: Pass through solid objects over a limited distance. 1 PP per 10 feet. Half max speed when phasing through solid matter. +2 Parry while Phased out, and becomes corporeal if damage is taken from an attack.
    -Common Bond: Can give Bennies to allies.
    -Charge: Can power electronics with PP, or draw PP from powered electronics.
    -Command: As an action, grant an ally an attempt to recover Shaken at +2. Multiaction penalties apply if used as part of a multiaction, even though it is not the character making the roll.
    -Natural Leader: The character gains +1 Benny, but it can only be spent by their allies through Common Bond.
    -Tough as Nails: +1 to Toughness
    -Mew’s Blessing: Permanent +1 Benny.

He focused a lot on increasing Trait scores. A lot of raw power and ability, but not very focused skillwise. Even at what would be similar to Level 20 in a d20 system scale-wise, he is definitely a master of none when it comes to Skills, but he's a slab of beef and his lightning bolts hit like a truck (even if they don't hit as reliably as more focused characters).

And an entirely different character from a high fantasy campaign:

Spoiler
    Show
    Race: Skeleton Butler
    Level 13, Heroic Rank
    Bennies: 5/5
    PP: 35/35
    Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0
    Injuries: 0
    Strength: d4
    Agility: d4+2(Boots)
    Smarts: d8
    Spirit: d12
    Vigor: d4 (+1 to soak rolls (Belt))
    Toughness: 4 + 3 (Constitution) + 1 (Silver Necklace) + 1 (Life Sphere) + 1 (Plague Doctor Outfit) +1 (Underarmor) = 11 (+2 vs Death aligned attacks = 13)
    Parry: 4 + 1(shield) = 5
    Pace: 6
    Charisma: 0
    Skills:
    Utility Magic (smarts): d8
    Transmutation Magic (smarts): d8+2(rod)
    Healing Magic (spirit): d10
    Enchanting Magic (spirit): d8
    Knowledge-Botany (smarts): d8+2(Book)
    Knowledge-Arcana (smarts): d10
    Persuasion (spirit): d8
    Streetwise (smarts): d8
    Notice (smarts): d8
    Hindrances:
    Code of Honor (major)
    Loyal (minor)
    Pacifist (minor)
    Wanted (racial): Undead are KOS
    Edges:
    Arcane Background (racial): Can learn Magic.
    +Energy Undead (racial): Does not need to eat, sleep, breathe, or drink. Repels Blight.
    Luck: The character has 1 extra Benny per session.
    Great Luck: The character has 1 extra Benny per session.
    Common Bond: Allows the character to give Bennies to other characters and teammates, in the form of support and encouragement.
    Wild Empathy: Animals will not attack the hero unless enraged or provoked, and he can access empathic abilities towards lower life forms.
    Soul Drain: Cast from HP. Spirit roll at penalty equal to PP provided by ability, if succeed cast spell at decreased (or no) cost. If failure, take 1 wound. If critical failure, the character also falls unconscious for 1d6 hours. 3/day uses before accumulating Soul Drain penalties.
    Constitution: +1 Toughness / 4 levels.

He focused on getting a lot of high Skills, a pure caster with a focus on only two Traits and ignoring the rest. Even then, most of his Skills didn't go over d8.
    In fact the only character I've had with more than one or at most two d12s was a boss character I made as a 'guest villain of the week' in one of the games, and they were a Smarts-focused Elderly character at Level 22.

Both, of course, gained plot-related abilities and Edges over the course of their games as well, and some Edges didn't work exactly the same even between the two games due to different GMs.

The point of this being that having all your Skills or all your Traits be real whoppers isn't necessarily important. d8s are generally reliable, especially with a few plot/item bonuses along the way, and d6s are perfectly sound to cover bases. River as he is, even without Frenzy/Two-Fisted, would have been a very competently built endgame character in either of the games those two characters were from, easily on par with the rest of either party as well.

30. - Top - End - #60

Interesting. Well, I'd like to see what you have in mind for what you mentioned in your previous post about a FoB power, etc and see how it would compare.
    Show

Show