The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: The Dragon Empire: Savage Worlds

I've added Flurry of Blows and changed up how Ki Enhancement works a bit so that they can still synergize. I tried to make the Flurry scaling like in PF since you seemed to like that aspect of it. It also has a Ki function that lets shuriken be used with the basic effect.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2019-04-28 at 05:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by RandomWombat View Post
    Thing is, that'd make Fighting effectively obsolete, since everyone would just be taking specialized Martial Arts instead.
    It does make Fighting obsolete for some character concepts, but is that such a bad thing? I don't mind the idea of differentiating between a character that has been classically trained in a particular style, and a character that got skilled by brawling on the streets. Kind of like the knowledge arcana/spellcraft distinction that you talked about before, separating studied knowledge vs self taught.

Also, does it really matter even if it does make Fighting worse? All of our melee characters will be using Martial Arts anyway in order to replicate their pathfinder abilities.

I can get by if we don't change the rules, but it would certainly help. Not just for Ed's own attacks, but also for maneuvers where he would give allies free basic attacks.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

For Martial powers that modify attacks, you use the higher of Fighting or Martial Arts. For those that are not attacks, Martial Arts is used to 'cast' them. So when River uses Scorpion Strike, he can use the higher of Fighting and Martial Arts. When he uses Body Adjustment, he would only be able to use Martial Arts. Some of them, like Deflect Arrows' counter throw and bow/gun techniques, allow the use of Martial Arts instead of Ranged if it is higher.
    So technically I don't really need the Martial Arts skill for much. If I can choose the higher between Fighting and MA for powers that augment normal attacks, I'm better off sinking all my skill points into fighting. For the powers like Body Adjustment, what would I even be rolling against?

Also, I'm realizing now that in SW, I'm significantly better off wielding weapons in both my hands and staying with the Edges for 2 weapon fighting rather than FoB with unarmed strikes. I could wield a katana in each hand for Str+4 damage rather than unarmed dealing Str+2 (with Edges). River would be more of a samurai than a monk in that case. In PF I was better off leaving him unarmed because his unarmed damage ended up being much higher as he leveled up; not just because of the cumulative attacks of FoB, but because his actual damage increased every 4 levels as a monk, in addition to the scaling damage of Elemental Fist as a M4W.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire

Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire

Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by H. Von Studley View Post
    It does make Fighting obsolete for some character concepts, but is that such a bad thing? I don't mind the idea of differentiating between a character that has been classically trained in a particular style, and a character that got skilled by brawling on the streets. Kind of like the knowledge arcana/spellcraft distinction that you talked about before, separating studied knowledge vs self taught.

Also, does it really matter even if it does make Fighting worse? All of our melee characters will be using Martial Arts anyway in order to replicate their pathfinder abilities.

I can get by if we don't change the rules, but it would certainly help. Not just for Ed's own attacks, but also for maneuvers where he would give allies free basic attacks.
    I'd mostly like to keep it from being a strictly worse option. Taking Martial Arts as a Skill is also sort of like a half-Edge since it buys a character into learning and using the Talent versions of abilities, so I don't want to overvalue it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryk View Post
    So technically I don't really need the Martial Arts skill for much. If I can choose the higher between Fighting and MA for powers that augment normal attacks, I'm better off sinking all my skill points into fighting. For the powers like Body Adjustment, what would I even be rolling against?

Also, I'm realizing now that in SW, I'm significantly better off wielding weapons in both my hands and staying with the Edges for 2 weapon fighting rather than FoB with unarmed strikes. I could wield a katana in each hand for Str+4 damage rather than unarmed dealing Str+2 (with Edges). River would be more of a samurai than a monk in that case. In PF I was better off leaving him unarmed because his unarmed damage ended up being much higher as he leveled up; not just because of the cumulative attacks of FoB, but because his actual damage increased every 4 levels as a monk, in addition to the scaling damage of Elemental Fist as a M4W.
    He could alternatively focus on Fighting and keep MA for things like Body Adjustment, yeah. For anything that isn't opposed or a check against Parry/Toughness/Resistance, the TN for success is typically 4, with situational bonuses and penalties being the measures of adjustment rather than shifting the TN.

As for weapons vs unarmed, I had intended for certain abilities like Elemental Fist/Scorpion Style/Stunning Fist being limited to unarmed attacks by virtue of their thematics, but that doesn't mean he can't go weapon+fist style too. A weapon for the raw damage output, and unarmed strikes for delivering effects.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

d6 Re: The Dragon Empire: Savage Worlds

I'd mostly like to keep it from being a strictly worse option. Taking Martial Arts as a Skill is also sort of like a half-Edge since it buys a character into learning and using the Talent versions of abilities, so I don't want to overvalue it more.
    Fair enough. I'll find room for Fighting in the build.

I've got a few other questions as I finalise things:

1. Is there any room to rework the Gorum spell list a little? I understand the themes you've gone for, and they make sense, but they're also stuff that Ed would just rarely, if ever use. It might mean going for some options that don't fit quite as nicely thematically, but are more fun and more likely to see use when I play. For example, it would be nice to have a ranged option like the bolt/multi-bolt line (Maybe flavoured like summoning and hurling a hunk of javelin shaped iron?). On the other hand, spells like the repair construct line fit thematically, but I wouldn't ever have the need to use them. I also don't really want to have a spell that would cover Azrin's shipwright contributions to the party - that's his thing.

2. Rules question: there are a few spells that increase ability scores- does that actually have much effect on roles? Raising smarts by itself wouldn't inherently raise knowledge, because those are skill rolls, right? Am I misunderstanding or under rating those powers?

3. Does the Enlarge spell have any effect on threatened area, like in PF? How will that intersect with the First Strike edge?

6. - Top - End - #66

As for weapons vs unarmed, I had intended for certain abilities like Elemental Fist/Scorpion Style/Stunning Fist being limited to unarmed attacks by virtue of their thematics, but that doesn't mean he can't go weapon+fist style too. A weapon for the raw damage output, and unarmed strikes for delivering effects.
    Alright, makes sense, so I've made some skill and ability tweaks then. I swapped my Strength (now d8) and Agility (now d10) dice to focus on the Fighting Skill, and changed Martial Arts to d4 at the cost of bumping Notice down from d8 to d6. That said, I have a few more asks;

• In order to make unarmed attacks more relevant, I was wondering if we could substitute the Martial Artist and Improved Martial Artist Edges that you wrote for the Edges of the same names in SW Deluxe?
      Spoiler: Martial Arts
      Show
      Martial Artist
      Requirements: Novice, Fighting d6+
      This character is highly trained in hand-to-hand fighting. He is never considered unarmed in combat and so is never subject to the Unarmed Defender rule (page 76). With a successful unarmed attack, he adds +d4 to his Strength roll (as if he were using a small weapon).

Improved Martial Artist
      Requirements: Veteran, Martial Arts, Fighting d10+
      The character now adds +d6 to his bare-handed Damage

• Also, can we just use SW Deluxe? My understanding is that is a newer and more improved version from what we are currently using.

• With the change to the Deluxe version of the Martial Artist Talent, I know it doesn't include the clause about using Spirit for Notice. What I was thinking was that perhaps you could put that into Ki Enhancement instead? I would have to bump my Notice down even further from d6 to d4 since it is linked to Smarts, but if I could use Ki Enhancement to give a +1 bonus per PP spent similar to the other uses of the ability, I think that would probably be well-balanced, and thematically appropriate.

What I'll probably end up doing in the end is having River wield a single katana and having a hand free to use unarmed strikes, or throw shuriken. He also has his legs for some abilities, but of course he wouldn't be able to throw ranged weapons with his foot. Anyway, I think we're making some pretty good progress with this.
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

1. Is there any room to rework the Gorum spell list a little? I understand the themes you've gone for, and they make sense, but they're also stuff that Ed would just rarely, if ever use. It might mean going for some options that don't fit quite as nicely thematically, but are more fun and more likely to see use when I play. For example, it would be nice to have a ranged option like the bolt/multi-bolt line (Maybe flavoured like summoning and hurling a hunk of javelin shaped iron?). On the other hand, spells like the repair construct line fit thematically, but I wouldn't ever have the need to use them. I also don't really want to have a spell that would cover Azrin's shipwright contributions to the party - that's his thing.
    Makes sense. I just sort of threw it together based on the spell list. The physical Bolt spells seems like a good idea. I made a few changes for you to look at and see if they seem better suited. I initially limited myself a bit by giving him healing stuff for practicality, but removed the single-target heals, and if he still wants them there's always Domain spells. The mass heals/harms seemed fitting for a figure in the midst of a battlefield though.

2. Rules question: there are a few spells that increase ability scores- does that actually have much effect on roles? Raising smarts by itself wouldn't inherently raise knowledge, because those are skill rolls, right? Am I misunderstanding or under rating those powers?
    Increasing Smarts would have a few more niche benefits. Checks to ask for hints on puzzles or clues, memory checks, resisting some Illusion spells, that sort of thing. In the case of spells like Owl's Wisdom and Fox's Cunning where it's the spell's focus rather than an extra option, I would have it increase Smarts, but also give a bonus to thematically appropriate skill checks.

3. Does the Enlarge spell have any effect on threatened area, like in PF? How will that intersect with the First Strike edge?
    It doesn't really affect threatened area, aside from the fact that you'd be more difficult to circle around without entering the range of a First Strike. I would probably allow First Strike to work at Reach when the character has a Reach weapon, though. Maybe with a limitation to Improved First Strike to prevent getting two free attacks on approach if they step into Reach, then push into adjacent.

In order to make unarmed attacks more relevant, I was wondering if we could substitute the Martial Artist and Improved Martial Artist Edges that you wrote for the Edges of the same names in SW Deluxe?
    Spoiler: Martial Arts
    Show
    Martial Artist
    Requirements: Novice, Fighting d6+
    This character is highly trained in hand-to-hand fighting. He is never considered unarmed in combat and so is never subject to the Unarmed Defender rule (page 76). With a successful unarmed attack, he adds +d4 to his Strength roll (as if he were using a small weapon).

Improved Martial Artist
    Requirements: Veteran, Martial Arts, Fighting d10+
    The character now adds +d6 to his bare-handed Damage
    The Deluxe Edition changes melee weapons to a form where they add dice rather than a flat value, which is one of the few things it does that I don't necessarily like. It makes things a lot more lethal by putting more exploding dice into the mix, which will generally mean more damage to the party because the enemy is usually more numerous. It also beefs up basic attacks by a lot, which means abilities and powers have to be bumped up, and it creates a bit of an arms race.

When adding dice to basic melee weapons/attacks as an effect, I prefer to make it so that it adds a d4 or d6, but the extra die cannot ace (explode). So I could work with something like that.

Also, can we just use SW Deluxe? My understanding is that is a newer and more improved version from what we are currently using.
    For the most part, I am using the Deluxe Edition rules, apart from what we homebrew. I just can't legally provide you all with a download of my copy of the Deluxe pdf, since it is sold for profit. I don't believe it's illegal to provide the old core rules, which provides a good foundation and has most of the basic rules the same, because the Core Edition pdf I got was available for free from the publisher's official site.

With the change to the Deluxe version of the Martial Artist Talent, I know it doesn't include the clause about using Spirit for Notice. What I was thinking was that perhaps you could put that into Ki Enhancement instead? I would have to bump my Notice down even further from d6 to d4 since it is linked to Smarts, but if I could use Ki Enhancement to give a +1 bonus per PP spent similar to the other uses of the ability, I think that would probably be well-balanced, and thematically appropriate.
    I could do that. Remove the Spirit to Notice clause and bump up the damage to a non-acing die.

On a different subject
    @brandnewb and Aeryk, with zero context, do you like flesh or no flesh?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

@Archemist: Got some work done on familiar and animal companion stuff.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Makes sense. I just sort of threw it together based on the spell list. The physical Bolt spells seems like a good idea. I made a few changes for you to look at and see if they seem better suited. I initially limited myself a bit by giving him healing stuff for practicality, but removed the single-target heals, and if he still wants them there's always Domain spells. The mass heals/harms seemed fitting for a figure in the midst of a battlefield though.

Increasing Smarts would have a few more niche benefits. Checks to ask for hints on puzzles or clues, memory checks, resisting some Illusion spells, that sort of thing. In the case of spells like Owl's Wisdom and Fox's Cunning where it's the spell's focus rather than an extra option, I would have it increase Smarts, but also give a bonus to thematically appropriate skill checks.

It doesn't really affect threatened area, aside from the fact that you'd be more difficult to circle around without entering the range of a First Strike. I would probably allow First Strike to work at Reach when the character has a Reach weapon, though. Maybe with a limitation to Improved First Strike to prevent getting two free attacks on approach if they step into Reach, then push into adjacent.
    1. Just saw the changes. Those look great, thanks. I really like the look of the revised spell list.

A few more thoughts:
    a) Could we add Heroism to the spell list, maybe in place of Channel Negative? Ed can't currently channel negative energy, and we already have the improved heroism power higher up on the list, so I thought that would be a reasonable substitution.

b) Any chance we can revisit Ferocious Strike? It seems a little underpowered at the moment, especially compared with other novice powers like elemental fist (+1 damage vs +1d6). Maybe have it scale with rank or something?

2. Okay, sounds good.

3. Sounds good. Yeah, I had assumed improved first strike + reach wouldn't give you 2 AoOs. I think that would be a bit much.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

1. Just saw the changes. Those look great, thanks. I really like the look of the revised spell list.

A few more thoughts:
    a) Could we add Heroism to the spell list, maybe in place of Channel Negative? Ed can't currently channel negative energy, and we already have the improved heroism power higher up on the list, so I thought that would be a reasonable substitution.

b) Any chance we can revisit Ferocious Strike? It seems a little underpowered at the moment, especially compared with other novice powers like elemental fist (+1 damage vs +1d6). Maybe have it scale with rank or something?

2. Okay, sounds good.

3. Sounds good. Yeah, I had assumed improved first strike + reach wouldn't give you 2 AoOs. I think that would be a bit much.
    Sure, added Heroism. And yeah, looked back at Ferocious Strike. I think I initially meant it to be something that could stack/activate multiple times a bit like Ki Enhancement can, but it would be quite costly on a 1 PP to 1 damage ratio now that I look at it again. I added some clauses to clarify, added a Rank limit/scaling, and buffed it to +2 damage. Currently at Rank 3, he can activate it up to 3 times in a round. So he could spend 3 PP to give a single attack a +6 damage bonus, or activate it on multiple First Strikes/disengagement attacks to spread out smaller bonuses.

11. - Top - End - #71

The Deluxe Edition changes melee weapons to a form where they add dice rather than a flat value, which is one of the few things it does that I don't necessarily like. It makes things a lot more lethal by putting more exploding dice into the mix, which will generally mean more damage to the party because the enemy is usually more numerous. It also beefs up basic attacks by a lot, which means abilities and powers have to be bumped up, and it creates a bit of an arms race.

When adding dice to basic melee weapons/attacks as an effect, I prefer to make it so that it adds a d4 or d6, but the extra die cannot ace (explode). So I could work with something like that.
    Makes sense, works for me.

On a different subject
    @brandnewb and Aeryk, with zero context, do you like flesh or no flesh?
    Uhhh... well generally speaking I would say I do prefer healthy flesh, both for eating and touching (not both at once though )
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #72

Ok, so I think River's new character sheet is done now. I have it permanently linked in my signature if you need to refer to it quickly at any time.

Also, I've made an editable version of my SW Character Sheet for everyone to use if you want, with River's info in it for an example. There are tabs at the bottom to keep the various portions organized and easy to find. Certain boxes have a grey background, that's just for planning future levels. If you need to add additional rows for skills or abilities, just copy and paste the row.

Cheers!

*Make sure you copy this sheet and make your own so multiple people aren't editing over each other's stuff ;)
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2019-05-03 at 02:35 PM.
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Looks good. Just remember we're using a less paperwork-intensive form of encumbrance. With d8 Strength he'd be able to carry up to 4 'big items' (large tools/non-light weapons/medium+ armor sets) without penalty, and up to 8 total with increasing encumbrance penalties. Brawny increases his base carry cap by 2, so he can carry up to 6 just fine, and the encumbrance from maxing out at 8 is a lot less.

Uhhh... well generally speaking I would say I do prefer healthy flesh, both for eating and touching (not both at once though )
    *scribbling behind GM screen*

14. - Top - End - #74

*scribbling behind GM screen*
    Uh oh... the GM is scaring me...

Anyway, thanks for catching that, I've updated the encumbrance stat. I've also added a section at the bottom of the first page which outlines general health including wounds and status effects. It's a drop-down style list which automatically updates the effects in the adjacent column for easy reference. The die levels are all now on a drop-down as well :)
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Sure, added Heroism. And yeah, looked back at Ferocious Strike. I think I initially meant it to be something that could stack/activate multiple times a bit like Ki Enhancement can, but it would be quite costly on a 1 PP to 1 damage ratio now that I look at it again. I added some clauses to clarify, added a Rank limit/scaling, and buffed it to +2 damage. Currently at Rank 3, he can activate it up to 3 times in a round. So he could spend 3 PP to give a single attack a +6 damage bonus, or activate it on multiple First Strikes/disengagement attacks to spread out smaller bonuses.
    Awesome, thanks.

So I've been thinking that this SW conversion might be a good opportunity to work another concept/mechanic into Ed's build. I love the concept of using a shield at the same time as the glaive or hammer, and your phalanx lancer edge makes it possible. I've been trying to work it into our existing game, but I couldn't really make it work the way I wanted it to within pathfinder mechanics.

Could I request a few more rulings to see how this concept could work in SW? I've been thinking of:

1. A maneuver to let him attack and shield bash (pretty much just like flash kick, but with more of a shield focus instead of unarmed strike)
    2. What kind of weapon damage a shield would do
    3. Whether/how magic armament/magic vestments affects a shield
    4. A spell that allows Ed to throw/bounce his shield off enemies (maybe just refluffing Ed's version of the bolt/multi-bolt spell line)

What do you think? Would that be workable?

16. - Top - End - #76

Were we given some sort of symbol or warrant for working under the authority of the city guard?
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Awesome, thanks.

So I've been thinking that this SW conversion might be a good opportunity to work another concept/mechanic into Ed's build. I love the concept of using a shield at the same time as the glaive or hammer, and your phalanx lancer edge makes it possible. I've been trying to work it into our existing game, but I couldn't really make it work the way I wanted it to within pathfinder mechanics.

Could I request a few more rulings to see how this concept could work in SW? I've been thinking of:

1. A maneuver to let him attack and shield bash (pretty much just like flash kick, but with more of a shield focus instead of unarmed strike)
    2. What kind of weapon damage a shield would do
    3. Whether/how magic armament/magic vestments affects a shield
    4. A spell that allows Ed to throw/bounce his shield off enemies (maybe just refluffing Ed's version of the bolt/multi-bolt spell line)

What do you think? Would that be workable?
    1. Added
    2. I'd probably treat them like a club, so Str+1 and whatever bonuses it might have for normal shields. Spiked shields likely Str+2.
    3. Armament would work on them as normal if used as a weapon. Vestments would give a bonus to their Toughness bonus vs Ranged attacks.
    4. It'd probably be a good way to fluff his bolt spells, yeah. If he's ever without a shield and uses it he can just fluff it as flinging something else.

Were we given some sort of symbol or warrant for working under the authority of the city guard?
    They and the rest of the caravan likely have some sort of identification as part of the King's entourage, so they could present that to show that they are acting under an authority.

18. - Top - End - #78

DwarfFighterGuy

I was not tracking this thread or that we were converting to savage worlds at all. Aeryk sent me a text.

Ill start looking at it.

19. - Top - End - #79

DwarfFighterGuy

Thank you for converting all that stuff RW. I will make my character soon and let you take a look. To confirm we get 9 points for attributes?

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewb View Post
    Thank you for converting all that stuff RW. I will make my character soon and let you take a look. To confirm we get 9 points for attributes?
    You get 5 Trait points to start. You can gain a Trait point when you level up (instead of gaining skill points or Edges), but you can only do this once per rank. You can also gain points by taking Hindrances. You can get 1 Trait point for a Major Hindrance, or 1 Trait point for 2 Minor Hindrances (or you can use your Hindrance points to buy Edges or skills instead). Half-Orcs and Humans may also get a free Trait point at character creation.

For example, River has 8 Trait points right now. I started with the base 5 points, used Hindrance points to by 1 point, then bought points at levels 3 and 4 (Novice Rank and Seasoned Rank). However, had I built him differently I could have had as many as 11 Trait Points [5 (Base) + 2 (Hindrances )+ 1 (Human) + 3 (Rank advances)]. Though this build would have been at the cost of various Edges. If you look under the Advances tab, you can see which levels I used my Advance to buy a Trait point, and which levels I used to buy a new Edge. I haven't used any Advances to buy Skill points yet, but as a human I already got 2 bonus Skill points at first level (which is like an Advance in itself), so River has 18 Skill points (16 starting +2 human).
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Although each Trait/attribute starts at d4 for free, unlike skills you don't need to buy into them. So Str/Agi/etc. are all starting at d4 and you have 5 points to increase them, before any bonuses or levels.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

1. Added
    2. I'd probably treat them like a club, so Str+1 and whatever bonuses it might have for normal shields. Spiked shields likely Str+2.
    3. Armament would work on them as normal if used as a weapon. Vestments would give a bonus to their Toughness bonus vs Ranged attacks.
    4. It'd probably be a good way to fluff his bolt spells, yeah. If he's ever without a shield and uses it he can just fluff it as flinging something else.
    Great, thanks Wombat.

Clarifying a few points:

1. Is there any way we can work Shield Strike to cost 1PP instead of 2, like the Flash Kick ability?
    2. From a fluff perspective, I prefer the look of a round, non-spiked shield - would you have any objective to Ed paying the cost for a spiked shield and calling it reinforced edges or something?
    3. Sounds good.
    4. Perfect, sounds good to me.

23. - Top - End - #83

RW, I forget, how are you planning to do exploding dice and card deck? Roll20 does both. Not suggesting we migrate the whole campaign there, but perhaps the combats? Then you'd have the combat grid there too.
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Great, thanks Wombat.

Clarifying a few points:

1. Is there any way we can work Shield Strike to cost 1PP instead of 2, like the Flash Kick ability?
    2. From a fluff perspective, I prefer the look of a round, non-spiked shield - would you have any objective to Ed paying the cost for a spiked shield and calling it reinforced edges or something?
    3. Sounds good.
    4. Perfect, sounds good to me.
    1. The reason is mainly that Flash Kick is limited to unarmed attacks. Edges are required to make those do as much damage as a shield, so it's a bit cheaper than Shield Strike in exchange.
    2. That's fine, yeah. Weighted or bladed edges would work.

RW, I forget, how are you planning to do exploding dice and card deck? Roll20 does both. Not suggesting we migrate the whole campaign there, but perhaps the combats? Then you'd have the combat grid there too.
    I am, yes. I've been thinking of using roll20 for combats as well, now that I'm a bit more familiar with it.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

1. That's fair. In that case, what if we nerfed the damage instead of increasing the cost? Maybe like:

Shield Strike (Martial Arts) - Talent: Passive. The user is treated as having Ambidextrous when attacking with a shield in their off hand. | Ki Power: The user makes two attacks: a basic attack, and a basic attack with their shield, with a single Wild Die between them. The shield attack has -1 damage, but this is considered a single action. Costs 1PP.

That way the base shield strike damage is the same as the base unarmed strike damage. What do you think?

Another option for exploding dice: GitP does have a display rolls function, so you can see if there are any explosions and then roll them again yourself (in the OOC thread I assume). Not as elegant a solution, but it would mean we don't have to go back and forth between sites, and all the narrative stays in the same thread.

(3d6)[4][4][4](12)

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

1. That's fair. In that case, what if we nerfed the damage instead of increasing the cost? Maybe like:

Shield Strike (Martial Arts) - Talent: Passive. The user is treated as having Ambidextrous when attacking with a shield in their off hand. | Ki Power: The user makes two attacks: a basic attack, and a basic attack with their shield, with a single Wild Die between them. The shield attack has -1 damage, but this is considered a single action. Costs 1PP.

That way the base shield strike damage is the same as the base unarmed strike damage. What do you think?

Another option for exploding dice: GitP does have a display rolls function, so you can see if there are any explosions and then roll them again yourself (in the OOC thread I assume). Not as elegant a solution, but it would mean we don't have to go back and forth between sites, and all the narrative stays in the same thread.
    I can do that, sure. I considered that myself, but settled on the extra cost.

I'm fine with either option for dealing with the exploding dice, as well. Would you as the players prefer to make use of roll20 or keep things on the forums? Keep the narrative wholly in the thread, and use roll20 only for dice and maps?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Fantastic, thanks mate. Ed's got so much stuff to do with his power points that I think I'll have to be pretty conservative with them.

Probably not a big surprise, but I prefer to keep it all on GitP. I think it's more convenient than swapping back and forth between websites in and out of combat, and I like having the entire story in one thread so I can come back and go over stuff again if I need to. That said, I'll go along with whatever the majority wants.

28. - Top - End - #88

Yeah, if it's easier to keep everything together here I'm cool with that. But how do you do the display rolls function?
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

If you put "rollv" inside both brackets instead of "roll" it should display them.

Roll: (3d6)[16]
    Rollv: (3d6)[2][2][2](6)

30. - Top - End - #90

Testing: (4d6)[6][3][1][5](15)
    Show

Show