The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: The Dragon Empire: Savage Worlds

I just realised I forgot to do the 3d6 strength check instead of the d20. Any chance I could try again?

If yes: (3d6+5)[17]

If no, that's entirely fair enough. I did already roll it so I'm happy to let the results stand.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

That's fine, we'll use the 3d6 roll.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Coooool. I just figured we'd be switching over without any fanfare. I didn't think there would be an in-universe explanation for it. Very interesting. Throw another mystery onto the pile.

Should our characters be completely aware of their new powers and how they work? Some things I can chalk up to Ronaldo's training, but Ed has never manipulated earth and metal before. How do you want us to play it?

Also a good impetus to make me finally get organised and finish my sheet. It's almost done, using Aeryk's template, but I need to finalise the equipment pages and maybe fiddle with the powers a little more. I'll try to get it finished over the weekend.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

They will know how to use their new abilities as if they'd always had them, but it will feel wrong and unusual at first. Like suddenly doing a perfect backflip the first time, but then realizing you were a gymnast with amnesia. Botticelli is the only one directly under the influence of the Silver Plane, so assuming Archy still exists the turtle's the only one who will directly recall everyone's old abilities as well as the new. He effectively has two sets of memories in that regard.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Very very cool. I'll try to work it in. So the rest of the world is aware ...something happened. But they don't know what, or what effect, right?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Sorry guys, have been extremely busy and have not had the opportunity to make my character yet. Will attempt to this weekend.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Some people are more aware than others, but they all experienced that ripple of dissonance that went by.

8. - Top - End - #98

DwarfFighterGuy

So dodge, fighting and martial arts.

Does dodge or fighting contribute to parry.

Also with martial arts what do we actually do with fighting? When would I roll with one and not the other?
    Last edited by brandnewb; 2019-05-19 at 12:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewb View Post
    So dodge, fighting and martial arts.

Does dodge or fighting contribute to parry.

Also with martial arts what do we actually do with fighting? When would I roll with one and not the other?
    Dodge determines your Parry score and is used to evade AoE attacks.

Most martial abilities allow using the higher of their related skill or Martial Arts, be it Fighting or Ranged. Some which are purely ki-based can only use the Martial Arts skill - like Body Adjustment or something like ki blasts. Fighting on the other hand is used for basic attacks, wild attacks, and grapple checks.

If you intend to take ki abilities, having Martial Arts at at least d6 is probably a good idea. If you're going to be using abilities that modify normal attacks you'd be fine just taking Martial Arts at d4 to buy in and then going Fighting.

10. - Top - End - #100

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RandomWombat View Post
    Dodge determines your Parry score and is used to evade AoE attacks.

Most martial abilities allow using the higher of their related skill or Martial Arts, be it Fighting or Ranged. Some which are purely ki-based can only use the Martial Arts skill - like Body Adjustment or something like ki blasts. Fighting on the other hand is used for basic attacks, wild attacks, and grapple checks.

If you intend to take ki abilities, having Martial Arts at at least d6 is probably a good idea. If you're going to be using abilities that modify normal attacks you'd be fine just taking Martial Arts at d4 to buy in and then going Fighting.
    Ok thanks. My guy is almost done. I had maxed out fighting and martial arts. Can I do the whip master and called shots using fighting? Or does it have to be martial arts?

So I used my edges to get the whip master abilities. Aeryk pointed out that I should take the Arcane Background Martial Artist/ki thing when I had him look at my sheet and he is right. Now I have to figure out what to drop.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Some sections are still a bit rough, but the important numbers are there now: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk

Thanks Aeryk for the template!

A few more questions to go along with this:

Ferocious Strike: Double-checking the timing on this one - it's a reaction, so can I use it after I roll but before you confirm if the roll is a hit? So I'm not wasting points if I roll a critical fail or something.

Enlarge: Duration of this one is 10 minutes outside of combat - does that mean I can pre-cast it before combat starts, then if fight breaks out within 10 minutes I'll get 3 rounds of being enlarged?

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ok thanks. My guy is almost done. I had maxed out fighting and martial arts. Can I do the whip master and called shots using fighting? Or does it have to be martial arts?

So I used my edges to get the whip master abilities. Aeryk pointed out that I should take the Arcane Background Martial Artist/ki thing when I had him look at my sheet and he is right. Now I have to figure out what to drop.
    It isn't strictly necessary to take Arcane Background (Ki) if it doesn't fit the character, he can still use the Talent forms of his martial abilities.

Whips and normal called shots will both use Fighting. If you're using an ability like Improved Trip/Disarm/etc. they can use the higher of Fighting or Martial Arts.

Quote Originally Posted by H. Von Studley View Post
    Some sections are still a bit rough, but the important numbers are there now: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk

Thanks Aeryk for the template!

A few more questions to go along with this:

Ferocious Strike: Double-checking the timing on this one - it's a reaction, so can I use it after I roll but before you confirm if the roll is a hit? So I'm not wasting points if I roll a critical fail or something.

Enlarge: Duration of this one is 10 minutes outside of combat - does that mean I can pre-cast it before combat starts, then if fight breaks out within 10 minutes I'll get 3 rounds of being enlarged?
    Ferocious Strike: Correct. It's decided after the attack roll is made, but before its success is determined. So if it's an obvious failure you don't need to waste it.

Enlarge: Correct also. This is to prevent it lasting an entire combat, but also prevent it from being restrictively short out of combat. The in-universe reasoning would probably be that a combat situation is more stressful and energy-intensive and burns it out more quickly.

Sheet looks good. I'm also reminded of something else I needed to do: convert the group's injuries from 'dying' in the Silver Plane. I recall Edmund had an injured leg, and I think Azrin and Robert had some sort of scar. It's been so long I forgot the little minor details. Does everyone recall what their injury was?

In better news, I believe Edmund learned the Encouraging Roar from a martial scroll, unless I'm mistaken? So He would get that one for free. I could be thinking of a different scroll.

13. - Top - End - #103

It isn't strictly necessary to take Arcane Background (Ki) if it doesn't fit the character, he can still use the Talent forms of his martial abilities.
    Ok, so by taking the Martial Arts skill, he still gets the benefits of Martial Talents every odd level without taking the Arcane background, but he wouldn't get the ki powers?

EDIT: Also, you're welcome Studley ;) Your sheet looks good, I like how you added the combat modifiers section on the first tab, I'm going to copy that! I see that you don't have anything for your first level Advance, but you should. In the book, it gives the example of starting with experienced characters, and it says "A Veteran character, for example, has 40 Experience Points, so you would make a normal character and grant her eight Advances."

Anyway, it was fun to make, and it does a much better job than the mythweavers sheet if I do say so myself
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2019-05-21 at 09:07 AM.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire

Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire

Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryk View Post
    Ok, so by taking the Martial Arts skill, he still gets the benefits of Martial Talents every odd level without taking the Arcane background, but he wouldn't get the ki powers?
    Correct. He'd still get the martial artist Talents at odd levels, just not the ki user's ki powers.

15. - Top - End - #105

DwarfFighterGuy

Ok to get the improved trip and disarm I need to take the background martial arts/ki progression edge correct?

Disregard just read aerkys post. This is great news! I don't have to change anything to get me disarm and trip. So right now I fighting&martial arts maxed. But I can drop martial arts a bit to put more points in dodge.
    Last edited by brandnewb; 2019-05-21 at 01:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106

Ok to get the improved trip and disarm I need to take the background martial arts/ki progression edge correct?

Disregard just read aerkys post. This is great news! I don't have to change anything to get me disarm and trip. So right now I fighting&martial arts maxed. But I can drop martial arts a bit to put more points in dodge.
    Correct, you just can't use the Ki Power forms of Improved Disarm and Trip unless you have the Arcane Background.
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Sheet looks good. I'm also reminded of something else I needed to do: convert the group's injuries from 'dying' in the Silver Plane. I recall Edmund had an injured leg, and I think Azrin and Robert had some sort of scar. It's been so long I forgot the little minor details. Does everyone recall what their injury was?

In better news, I believe Edmund learned the Encouraging Roar from a martial scroll, unless I'm mistaken? So He would get that one for free. I could be thinking of a different scroll.
    Oh nice! Yeah it was Encouraging Roar. I forgot about that one.

Ed's silver plane leg injury was healed by that mysterious old lady on the road- I think the other injuries were as well, but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryk View Post

EDIT: Also, you're welcome Studley ;) Your sheet looks good, I like how you added the combat modifiers section on the first tab, I'm going to copy that! I see that you don't have anything for your first level Advance, but you should. In the book, it gives the example of starting with experienced characters, and it says "A Veteran character, for example, has 40 Experience Points, so you would make a normal character and grant her eight Advances."

Anyway, it was fun to make, and it does a much better job than the mythweavers sheet if I do say so myself
    Awesome, thanks! I didn't pick up on that either. That will be a nice extra addition to the build. Yeah, I'm a big fan of the sheet. I'm impressed you managed to make it look so cool. Google sheets is also a lot more convenient than I expected.

18. - Top - End - #108

DwarfFighterGuy

19. - Top - End - #109

Looks like you're missing one Martial Talent at 3rd Level. You have 3 of them, but you should have 4.
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Looks good, just missing one ability as Aeryk pointed out. If there's nothing left that catches your eye as a Talent, is there any Feat or Maneuver from PF you'd like me to convert?

Also, flesh or no flesh?

@HVS: Did your wife do the Ed art on that one too? I think I recall she did the 'Eddie Mercury' pic a few threads back.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

AAAAnd I too had missed that folks migrated here.

So I'm not sure if we've switched to the new SW builds yet but Azrin would like to Know: Arcana the heck out of whatever that shockwave was. Sorry again I've been so AWOL.

Edited to add: I'm guessing it's a "yes we've migrated that's the shockwave," haha. Curious that Botticelli remembers.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2019-05-22 at 08:46 PM.
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor Hardin

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

I can migrate Azrin's sheet to the google doc also, if that is preferred. Probably this weekend.
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor Hardin

23. - Top - End - #113

Glad to see you back Archy!!!
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

@HVS: Did your wife do the Ed art on that one too? I think I recall she did the 'Eddie Mercury' pic a few threads back.
    Haha, good memory. She did draw the old one, but she didn't draw the new one. His look has changed a bit in my head in the few years since she made the last one.

I made the current picture using an online portrait generator (http://www.heromachine.com/heromachi...trait-creator/), although she did help me touch up the finished image so the colours worked better.

Good to have you back Archy!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Haha, good memory. She did draw the old one, but she didn't draw the new one. His look has changed a bit in my head in the few years since she made the last one.

I made the current picture using an online portrait generator (http://www.heromachine.com/heromachi...trait-creator/), although she did help me touch up the finished image so the colours worked better.

Good to have you back Archy!
    Aha. I never would have expected it to come from a portrait generator by the look if it.

Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    I can migrate Azrin's sheet to the google doc also, if that is preferred. Probably this weekend.
    Aeryk's sheet is pretty good and well organized, so it comes recommended from me, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    Edited to add: I'm guessing it's a "yes we've migrated that's the shockwave," haha. Curious that Botticelli remembers.
    Speaking of Botticelli, I started on a conversion for Familiars/Animal Companions. Feel free to pick things from the Eidolon Evolutions list that you'd like.

I'd say Botticelli's natural qualities would probably be Bite, Natural Armor x2, Swim, Slow and Small. He'd get those automatically, as well as his Cantrip ability for being Azrin's Familiar, and Silicon Valley for his silver shell. Anything else you can buy/buy off with EP.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2019-05-23 at 02:47 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Aha. I never would have expected it to come from a portrait generator by the look if it.
    Right? They've got a pretty cool art style and heaps of options. Worth a look if you're as untalented as I am, and can't find any existing images that suit what you want.

I've added in Ed's missing advance (edge - Charismatic) and talent (Challenge). Any way challenge could get a ki-enhanced ability as well RW? Maybe something to allow you to stop/shift focus? I'm open to whatever though.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Right? They've got a pretty cool art style and heaps of options. Worth a look if you're as untalented as I am, and can't find any existing images that suit what you want.

I've added in Ed's missing advance (edge - Charismatic) and talent (Challenge). Any way challenge could get a ki-enhanced ability as well RW? Maybe something to allow you to stop/shift focus? I'm open to whatever though.
    Ah, looks like another I forgot to finish a ki power for. Added one.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Sounds good, thanks.

Probably an edge case, but what happens if combat ends with neither character falling unconscious, like through diplomacy, surrender or running away for example? Does the power end when the scene ends?

29. - Top - End - #119

That generator is pretty sweet Studley, thanks for sharing that! Made one for River too :) Probably going to make one for all my characters now!
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2019-05-24 at 09:07 AM.
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Sounds good, thanks.

Probably an edge case, but what happens if combat ends with neither character falling unconscious, like through diplomacy, surrender or running away for example? Does the power end when the scene ends?
    In this case, surrender would qualify as defeat. If they fled, the power would persist until Edmund gives up on chasing them down and dismisses it.