The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: The Dragon Empire: Savage Worlds

Okay I've got a link to Azrin's sheet here.

Still a bit of work-in-progress since I'm reading up on the Familiar stuff and making sure I'm up on the other stuff you guys have asked about and clarified. Gonna add a section for spells, too, of course.
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor Hardin

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Just let me know if you have any more questions, or for things you need converted.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Nah, if anything you were being super nice to Botticelli with all the free stuff - I'm not sure I have 8 evolution-points of stuff that'd make sense to give him beyond that. Tremorsense is already seeming pretty good (although I'm happy to have to set him down on the ground to get the benefit).
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor Hardin

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I wouldn't say it's free exactly, just an attempt to quantify 'turtle' as a creature. I've converted Tremorsense for you, feel free to point out any others. The only reasons I've got some things converted there are for Botticelli's base form and for converting Ssill (Amon's Eidolon). There's a massive amount of content in the Evolutions, so I figured I'd wait and convert what is needed or wanted as it comes.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Maybe Celestial Appearance? I think the sheet is generally ready to go except for his equipment.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Sure, added Celestial Appearance, Resistance, and Gills to the Familiars doc.

I see on his sheet he has four Edges at level 1, but to my knowledge the most possible at level 1 is 2 without bonuses.

In addition, since Botticelli took Martial Arts at d4, that means he gets to take a Novice Martial Talent. Technically only the one, since he's not a Wild Card and doesn't gain levels quite the same way.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RandomWombat View Post
    Sure, added Celestial Appearance, Resistance, and Gills to the Familiars doc.

I see on his sheet he has four Edges at level 1, but to my knowledge the most possible at level 1 is 2 without bonuses.

In addition, since Botticelli took Martial Arts at d4, that means he gets to take a Novice Martial Talent. Technically only the one, since he's not a Wild Card and doesn't gain levels quite the same way.
    Sorry, yeah, you are correct, I was treating it as 1 hindrance point per edge and not two.

I'd originally noticed the Wild Verse power (it's Hexcraft, for talking to animals) was like Azrin's PF gnome spell and also the Commune With Birds one he had, but it isn't listed as a Patron of Elements list power so I was gonna use an Edge to add it. I may take it off again and prepare Energize for free instead. The other lost Edge will remove the "webslinger" alternate power from the Weird Science grapnel gun. (Fair Warning: if given the chance and some spare parts, he can still add it back temporarily via the Gadgeteer edge.)

Can I give Botticelli the Encouraging Roar martial power? It's either that or Silver Strike, and I just don't really see him as a Leaping Dragon either, hehe. The Edge "Command" is a good power too and maybe something like how Speak With Master works for PF familiars (like how he's occasionally given Azrin advice). If Encouraging Roar is a bit much, perhaps just solo-targeting Azrin, or perhaps only out of combat, I dunno.

Azrin's "Gear" page looks fine, I have copy-pasted it into his sheet.

Thanks again for all the work converting stuff! It looks really good.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Encouraging Roar is perfectly fine. Probably more of an encouraging [turtle noises], but it's the thought that counts.

I think we're about wrapped up now. I'll get a proper encounter map together and kick things off again either tomorrow or Monday.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Azrin's Agility/Initiative: (1d8)[1]

Edited to add: lolololol
    Last edited by Archemist; 2019-06-02 at 02:27 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hahaha perfect start. Bad luck.

Edmund agility: (1d8)[7]

Edit: also RW, Ed had his Defending Bone spell active before the switch. Can I keep the spell active but start Ed off with fewer daily Power Points to represent that use?
    Last edited by H. Von Studley; 2019-06-02 at 06:24 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Bugbear in the Playground

River Initiative:(1d10)[2]
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire

Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire

Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132

Do we get a Wild Die for this? Also, how are we doing the "Joker" roll again?
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

No Wild Die on Initiative, no. The Joker starts off as a d20, then goes down to d19, d18, etc. until somebody 'draws' it, then the 'deck' gets shuffled back to a d20.

Ed can keep his Defending Bone up and just take off its cost, sure.

I also forgot to make a new thread when I posted, whoops.

14. - Top - End - #134

DwarfFighterGuy

Olivin Agility/Init (1d12)[8]

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Joker on the first roll! Maybe this system will work after all.

After the +2 to all rolls for the Joker, I think that means Ed should end up successfully drawing his shield and glaive (rolled an 8 on a DC 4 Agility check), then rolling a 6 to hit, for 9 damage. It will hit if the cultist's parry is 6 or lower. Is that right?

17. - Top - End - #137

So are we supposed to roll our agility and our joker roll together to determine initiative? I'm kind of confused on how this works.

Also, is there some kind of flat-footed condition in SW where people who are acting first in initiative get a bonus against people who haven't acted yet?

*Edit: I accidentally posted this IC instead of OOC, so idk if you get notifications of me deleting posts or whatnot, but that's why ;)

Also: while we are on the subject of initiative, there's something else I've been wondering, so I searched it up, and found this...

Spoiler: FAQ Initiative question
    Show
    Q: The rules for initiative (pg 58-59 revised) tell us to deal everybody a single card. It doesn't say (that I have found at least) if this meant to be at the beginning of each round, but the explanation of the countdown and held actions seem to imply this. We are also told to shuffle the deck after any round the joker was dealt. I have been dealing cards at the beginning of each round and collecting them from players as they take their actions, throwing them back onto the deck and giving a quick shuffle before the next round is dealt. While this works fine for us, the wording in the rules leaves us a little unclear as to the exact procedure intended. Should we not shuffle after each round, instead discarding used cards until a joker is dealt?

A: Yep. During combat, you only reshuffle the cards the round after a Joker is dealt. I generally use this method...

1. Deal the cards out face up to the players (and mine behind the screen; I like the suspense of the players not knowing when the bad guys go).

2. Count down actions. After each player completes their action, they turn in their card to the discard pile. If a player goes on Hold, they keep their card but turn it face down to show they are on Hold (and don't need to be dealt in on further actions if they stay on Hold).

3. On following rounds keep dealing from the Action Deck (leaving the discard pile alone) until a Joker comes up. At the end of a round the Joker shows up, reshuffle the discard pile into the Action Deck and start over.

As a side note, I like to have two Action Decks. One to use, and one preshuffled and ready to go as soon as a Joker comes up. When we switch out, the player with the lowest initiative on the next round shuffles up the last deck, so it is ready for next time. Keeps things moving along.

Can you let us know your interpretation of this, and how we will be playing it?
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2019-06-07 at 09:05 AM.
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by H. Von Studley View Post
    Joker on the first roll! Maybe this system will work after all.

After the +2 to all rolls for the Joker, I think that means Ed should end up successfully drawing his shield and glaive (rolled an 8 on a DC 4 Agility check), then rolling a 6 to hit, for 9 damage. It will hit if the cultist's parry is 6 or lower. Is that right?
    Correct on all counts. The Joker bonus effectively cancels out his multiaction penalty for drawing and acting at the same time.

It should be noted though that the multiaction penalty applies to the first action as well. So he'd have gotten a -2 on his draw roll (but the Joker cancelled that too, and he'd have succeeded regardless). With a single draw action this usually doesn't matter, since you only Agility roll for drawing two things (or a big thing) at once.

To my knowledge, there is no multiaction penalty on damage rolls. Our group typically makes damage rolls exempt from multiaction and wound penalties, but not from fatigue. This prevents slapfights when everybody is in bad shape, but still allows fatigue effects to lower damage (can't hit as hard when tired). Does that seem fair to everyone here?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryk View Post
    So are we supposed to roll our agility and our joker roll together to determine initiative? I'm kind of confused on how this works.

Also, is there some kind of flat-footed condition in SW where people who are acting first in initiative get a bonus against people who haven't acted yet?

*Edit: I accidentally posted this IC instead of OOC, so idk if you get notifications of me deleting posts or whatnot, but that's why ;)

Also: while we are on the subject of initiative, there's something else I've been wondering, so I searched it up, and found this...

Spoiler: FAQ Initiative question
    Show
    Q: The rules for initiative (pg 58-59 revised) tell us to deal everybody a single card. It doesn't say (that I have found at least) if this meant to be at the beginning of each round, but the explanation of the countdown and held actions seem to imply this. We are also told to shuffle the deck after any round the joker was dealt. I have been dealing cards at the beginning of each round and collecting them from players as they take their actions, throwing them back onto the deck and giving a quick shuffle before the next round is dealt. While this works fine for us, the wording in the rules leaves us a little unclear as to the exact procedure intended. Should we not shuffle after each round, instead discarding used cards until a joker is dealt?

A: Yep. During combat, you only reshuffle the cards the round after a Joker is dealt. I generally use this method...

1. Deal the cards out face up to the players (and mine behind the screen; I like the suspense of the players not knowing when the bad guys go).

2. Count down actions. After each player completes their action, they turn in their card to the discard pile. If a player goes on Hold, they keep their card but turn it face down to show they are on Hold (and don't need to be dealt in on further actions if they stay on Hold).

3. On following rounds keep dealing from the Action Deck (leaving the discard pile alone) until a Joker comes up. At the end of a round the Joker shows up, reshuffle the discard pile into the Action Deck and start over.

As a side note, I like to have two Action Decks. One to use, and one preshuffled and ready to go as soon as a Joker comes up. When we switch out, the player with the lowest initiative on the next round shuffles up the last deck, so it is ready for next time. Keeps things moving along.

Can you let us know your interpretation of this, and how we will be playing it?
    Normally, initiative is done with a pack of playing cards. In our case we'll be doing a dice variant system that's worked will with my other online SW group.

Jokers are a d20 made alongside the character's action. If the d20 does not get a 20, the next character rolls a d19 instead. If the d19 doesn't get a 19, the next character rolls a d18 instead. And so forth. Eventually if the countdown reaches '1d1' the Joker is guaranteed. Once the Joker triggers, the count goes back to d20.
    Only the PCs and enemy Wild Cards will get this.

So, when Olivin acts, he rolls a d20 again since Ed got the Joker.

Holding action acts a bit like Delaying and Readied actions in PF, rolled into one. You can Hold action to delay your turn, and you can take your turn at any time, even interrupting an enemy turn. This has some restrictions: you can respond to an enemy's movement or attack, but the movement or attack resolves first. So you could intercept an enemy moving towards somebody, but you can't interrupt between the hit and damage rolls unless some special ability allows you to.
    Whenever you take your Held action, that spot becomes your new place in turn order. In the event of an interrupt, it puts you before the interrupted enemy in the order.

In SW, Initiative isn't kept through the whole combat either. But we'll be using it as a set Initiative order the same way as in PF, unless an Ability or Held action alters the order.

Also, I forgot to subscribe to my own new IC thread, whoops. Subbed to it now.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'll assume Botticelli is on Hold for now.

On a semi-related note, Botticelli does not normally get a Joker roll or Wild Die, since he's not a Wild Card. So he'd be the only player-controlled character without one right now. He does, however, get a Wild Die while within arm's reach of Azrin. Which he usually is anyways.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Oh right, he's on initiative separate - I thought extras moved with their players. He'd come help River, most likely - slowly and more as a distraction than anything else, haha.

21. - Top - End - #141

As far as I can tell, there is no such thing as an attack of opportunity in this system, correct? The closest thing is withdrawing from close combat, so presumably I can move freely within melee range of a single opponent without getting attacked.
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #142

Looks like gitp doesn't handle multiple rolls within the same string, so I'll reroll the damage here. Also, the disarm looks like an Ace to me (1d10-2 with a result of 8) so I'll roll that too.

I also forgot to roll my Joker roll. Now that I'm looking at B's post with yours, that 1d20 was for the joker roll? So I'll throw in the joker roll at d19 then. Lots of new stuff to remember!

Joker:(1d19)[16]

First Attack, Ace: (1d10)[8], Damage: (1d8+1)[8] + (1d4)[4]

Second Attack: Damage: (1d8+1)[7] + (1d4)[2]

Third Attack: Damage: (1d8+1)[5] + (1d4)[4]

Edit: So if I'm correct, it looks to me like attack 1 is at a total of 16 for 12 damage, attack 2 is at 6 for 9 damage, and attack 3 is at 5 for 9 damage (the d4's are non-acing)
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2019-06-10 at 10:37 AM.
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    Oh right, he's on initiative separate - I thought extras moved with their players. He'd come help River, most likely - slowly and more as a distraction than anything else, haha.
    Normally this would be the case, yeah. I'm not sure how I want to work this with familiars/animal companions yet. Do you have any thoughts? If there's no immediate preference, we can test how it works both ways and see which feels better.

As far as I can tell, there is no such thing as an attack of opportunity in this system, correct? The closest thing is withdrawing from close combat, so presumably I can move freely within melee range of a single opponent without getting attacked.
    Correct. There is also the First Strike, with the appropriate Edges.

In close combat with multiple enemies would make circling one of them a problem as the other might get a disengagement attack.

Looks like gitp doesn't handle multiple rolls within the same string, so I'll reroll the damage here. Also, the disarm looks like an Ace to me (1d10-2 with a result of 8) so I'll roll that too.

I also forgot to roll my Joker roll. Now that I'm looking at B's post with yours, that 1d20 was for the joker roll? So I'll throw in the joker roll at d19 then. Lots of new stuff to remember!

Joker:[roll0]

First Attack, Ace: [roll1], Damage: [roll2] + [roll3]

Second Attack: Damage: [roll4] + [roll5]

Third Attack: Damage: [roll6] + [roll7]

Edit: So if I'm correct, it looks to me like attack 1 is at a total of 16 for 12 damage, attack 2 is at 6 for 9 damage, and attack 3 is at 5 for 9 damage (the d4's are non-acing)
    All correct.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It should be noted though that the multiaction penalty applies to the first action as well. So he'd have gotten a -2 on his draw roll (but the Joker cancelled that too, and he'd have succeeded regardless). With a single draw action this usually doesn't matter, since you only Agility roll for drawing two things (or a big thing) at once.
    Oh okay, my bad. I wasn't sure about that one, but the example in the book was a bit vague and made it seem like that roll wasn't modified. I'll remember for next time.

On that last attack - you mentioned 9 damage, which would beat Ed's regular toughness, but I think his shield improves his toughness vs ranged attacks to 10. Does bolt count as a ranged attack? Does that affect either of the attacks he took?

Edit: Another question - how exactly does Defending Bone work? I was under the impression it would absorb excess damage over Ed's toughness, up to its hit points, but it just got destroyed in one shot. If it takes all the damage from any attack that beats Ed's toughness, it will never last longer than one attack, right?
    Last edited by H. Von Studley; 2019-06-11 at 11:40 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by H. Von Studley View Post
    Oh okay, my bad. I wasn't sure about that one, but the example in the book was a bit vague and made it seem like that roll wasn't modified. I'll remember for next time.

On that last attack - you mentioned 9 damage, which would beat Ed's regular toughness, but I think his shield improves his toughness vs ranged attacks to 10. Does bolt count as a ranged attack? Does that affect either of the attacks he took?

Edit: Another question - how exactly does Defending Bone work? I was under the impression it would absorb excess damage over Ed's toughness, up to its hit points, but it just got destroyed in one shot. If it takes all the damage from any attack that beats Ed's toughness, it will never last longer than one attack, right?
    The 9 damage wasn't enough to do damage, right.

Also, a good point on the bone. I'll modify it to absorb only damage that would do anything.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Also, one of Azrin's Bolts got a Raise (a crit, basically), so we'll see if the extra d6 pushes its damage into meaningful territory.
    (1d6)[3]

Edit: Cultust 4 is Shaken, Cultist 6 is down.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2019-06-13 at 02:48 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The 9 damage wasn't enough to do damage, right.

Also, a good point on the bone. I'll modify it to absorb only damage that would do anything.
    Okay cool, sounds good.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Noticed that Oli has Slow Time on his Martial Talents. Unfortunately he'd be unable to use it without Ki, since it's one of the ones with no Talent version. Level 7 is also too low to take a Veteran Talent.

Are there any maneuvers or edges from PF you'd like me to convert, if there's nothing left that interests him at Seasoned or below?

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?????

I wasn't expecting that. That flesh question seems even more foreboding now. Cool twist.

30. - Top - End - #150

DwarfFighterGuy

Well that is sweet. Does Robert have any clue that he is a ghost?

Edit: would he know he can't cross salt? Or be afraid of it?

Also I will need to think on it for the maneuver. Maybe if I can get the lore wardens bonus to combat manouvers in some form.
    Last edited by brandnewb; 2019-06-21 at 05:34 AM.