The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: The Dragon Empire: Savage Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewb View Post
    So what did Olivin take two wounds?

And he would not be shaken? Taking -2?

Feel like he had better pull back.
    I detailed the results of the Soak check here:

Quote Originally Posted by RandomWombat View Post
    Bennies are used for rerolls. Characters have 3 per day, unless they have Bad Luck/Luck/Great Luck.

Soaking costs 1, and you can reroll the Soak roll for 1 as you could any other roll. Your d6 aced there, which means it rolled its max value and gets to roll again. I'll roll it here:

[rolled a 3 here]

Edit: That would be 6 and 3 for a total of 9 to Soak. That would Soak 2 of the Wounds. He would be left Shaken with 1 Wound, and need to make a Spirit check to recover from Shaken on his turn (or spend another Benny to clear it automatically). He can still act while Shaken even if he fails to recover, but suffers a -2 penalty to his checks from it and can't cast spells.
    Clearing Shaken with 7 or less also suffers a -2 penalty for just that turn; getting 8+ is a perfect clear.

He could alternatively attempt to reroll his Soak check, and hope to clear all Wounds with that. He wouldn't lose the 9 he already got, since it takes the better result. Bennies work a lot like Hero Tokens.

In terms of the combat, with Aggressive Thundercloud and the musket, Azrin takes out Cultist 3. So only Cultist 2 is left.

Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    [roll0] - this is Azrin's explodey dice on the musket attack finally.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing - this is Asma's sheet, let me know what you think.
    Looks good. The Spear will do Str+2 damage rather than Str+d6, since we're using flat damage instead of added dice. I added the spear and chain to the gear doc instead of her old loadout.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Sorry I have been on the go all the last while and just catching the game in moments when I can look on my phone.

(1d6)[1]

He can't actually clear it anyway.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Both the casting check and the Persuasion check aced. I don't think aceing on the cast actually does anything, but I'll roll it again in case I'm wrong.

Casting: (1d8)[6]
    Persuasion: (1d6)[2]

4. - Top - End - #184

Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    [roll0] - this is Azrin's explodey dice on the musket attack finally.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing - this is Asma's sheet, let me know what you think.
    I noticed you don't have a 1st level advance in either Asma or Azrin's sheets. In the example they give in the rulebook for starting with experienced characters, they give an advance at first level.

Starting With Experienced Characters
    If the Game Master lets you make a character who has already earned some experience, simply make a character as usual and then grant her that many Advances. A Veteran character, for example, has 40 Experience Points, so you would make a normal character and grant her eight Advances.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire

Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire

Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

5. - Top - End - #185

Sure, added a Medium Shield.

Lances as a weapon are actually designed to be used by cavalry, rather than on foot. Using one on foot would probably be possible, but it would be quite cumbersome - the circular grip/guard isn't made for two-handing by infantry, so you'd be holding it like a greatsword with only a point and no blade.
    Granted, at that point it's effectively a greatclub, since you can still cobber people with it.

As far as the stats, I was converting using the Deluxe Edition as a reference. It gives them the same damage as a longsword, adds the mounted qualifier, and buffs its AP, but limits the AP to charges.

For a more versatile infantry weapon he could have a spear or halberd as well, and keep the lance on Isabelle for use when he's fighting as cavalry?
    Sorry for double-posting...
    Anyway, yeah, I think I'd like to have a halberd then. That got me wondering about how reach works in this system. Not sure if you've already addressed this or not, but it says:
    Weapons with “reach” allow their user to make Fighting attacks at the listed range. A reach of 1”, for example, allows a character to strike a target 1” distant. Weapons without a reach value can only strike targets at arm’s length (adjacent).
    So from my understanding you can attack targets up to your reach and closer, is that correct?

Edit: Also, for Isabelle, I'm wondering if I could just use the stats for a War Horse in the rulebook? I think it would be much simpler that way, since I have no interest in going the familiar/evolution route.
    Spoiler: War Horse
    Show
    Horse, War
    War horses are large beasts trained for aggression. They are trained to fight with both hooves, either to their front or their rear. In combat, the animal attacks any round its rider doesn’t make a trick maneuver of some kind.
    Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d4(A), Spirit d6, Strength d12+2, Vigor d10
    Skills: Fighting d8, Guts d8, Notice d6
    Pace: 8; Parry: 6; Toughness: 10
    Special Abilities
    • Fleet Footed: War horses roll a d8 when running
    instead of a d6.
    • Kick: Str+1.
    • Size +3: Warhorses are large creatures bred for their power and stature.
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2019-07-02 at 02:39 PM.
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryk View Post
    I noticed you don't have a 1st level advance in either Asma or Azrin's sheets. In the example they give in the rulebook for starting with experienced characters, they give an advance at first level.
    Oh, interesting - yeah, I'd missed that, figured the usual 1st-level stuff was all. In that case I'll give Azrin Rapid Reload and Asma a couple extra rogue-y skill points. Good stuff.

Asma's spear will work like Christof's halberd, in regards to Reach, I suppose. But since she's not going the Marid route it'll keep her somewhat flexible. Should she pick an Elemental Fist element now, or can that be chosen at the time?
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor Hardin

7. - Top - End - #187

Hey lads, I'm most likely going overseas this weekend for an indeterminate length of time. Not sure what our internet situation will be. It's usually not bad, but I won't know til I get there. Keep posting in our other games anyway, and I will do my best to get to it, but if I go dark for a bit, at least you'll know why ;)
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Safe travels!
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor Hardin

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewb View Post
    Sorry I have been on the go all the last while and just catching the game in moments when I can look on my phone.

[roll0]

He can't actually clear it anyway.
    Remember Wild Die as well.

In the case of the standard rules, they don't normally use a level system, but rather give an Advance for every 5 XP gained. In this case, starting at level 4/8 is the advance XP for starting with experienced characters.

Sorry for double-posting...
    Anyway, yeah, I think I'd like to have a halberd then. That got me wondering about how reach works in this system. Not sure if you've already addressed this or not, but it says:
    So from my understanding you can attack targets up to your reach and closer, is that correct?

Edit: Also, for Isabelle, I'm wondering if I could just use the stats for a War Horse in the rulebook? I think it would be much simpler that way, since I have no interest in going the familiar/evolution route.
    Spoiler: War Horse
    Show
    Horse, War
    War horses are large beasts trained for aggression. They are trained to fight with both hooves, either to their front or their rear. In combat, the animal attacks any round its rider doesn’t make a trick maneuver of some kind.
    Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d4(A), Spirit d6, Strength d12+2, Vigor d10
    Skills: Fighting d8, Guts d8, Notice d6
    Pace: 8; Parry: 6; Toughness: 10
    Special Abilities
    • Fleet Footed: War horses roll a d8 when running
    instead of a d6.
    • Kick: Str+1.
    • Size +3: Warhorses are large creatures bred for their power and stature.
    Correct on the reach. It can hit adjacent just as easily, unlike in PF.

And we'll give the warhorse stats a try and see how it goes, but perhaps make the +2 Str situational to 'feats of strength' (pulling great weights, etc.), purely so that it isn't too unbalanced in combat.

Just finished busy week/weekend at work. I should be able to post with some more regularity now.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Did New-Robert have a sheet posted that I just missed somewhere?

Aside from that, main group is waiting for decision on what to do with the surrendered cultist, and side group just needs an Andrew post.

11. - Top - End - #191

DwarfFighterGuy

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Looks mostly correct. Being a ghost would be more of an Outsider Hindrance than a Quirk, and he might want a Sorcery skill at least at d4 for his spells. Perhaps a point off of Guts, since sorcerors don't need the concentration checks that wizards do? Otherwise it's good.

13. - Top - End - #193

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been able to check in til now. Internet isn't really working out for me over here, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to take a hiatus until I get home. Still no word on just when that might be, could be as long as September. Just assume for now that both Andrew and River are compliant with going along with the crowd for now. Cheers!
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Roger that. I'll try not to progress too far. Shouldn't be hard, work's been busy.

15. - Top - End - #195

DwarfFighterGuy

Looks mostly correct. Being a ghost would be more of an Outsider Hindrance than a Quirk, and he might want a Sorcery skill at least at d4 for his spells. Perhaps a point off of Guts, since sorcerors don't need the concentration checks that wizards do? Otherwise it's good.
    I will get around to fixing it. I have not really looked at it since I asked the hindrance question.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hi all, sorry I've been non-responsive the past few weeks. I've had a few real life dramas come up that haven't left much time for posting. I'll work through all the threads today and update where I need to.

17. - Top - End - #197

DwarfFighterGuy

I definitely missed the line in the arcane backgrounds where you need a skill to cast the spells.

So ima make some changes to Robert.

18. - Top - End - #198

So, a bit of good news! We've been set up with a more reliable internet connection, so I will be able to check in and update all games as long as I have windows of time where I am not overly busy. I've posted in the Shattered Planet game, and I am just awaiting Jeri's action in the Nightmares game :)
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

May want to read up on the Christof side of things a bit, a lot more has happened there than with the cultist.

20. - Top - End - #200

Doing what I can to stay abreast of things, but I only get the chance for a fairly short time each day :)
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #201

DwarfFighterGuy

Hey mates,

Sorry to invade our game but i am wondering if I can get your opinions on a poster for my work. Looking for open ended opinions from people not in my line of work.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14O...DRuvUoKByRiIn7
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qt...KdaI_LBs5Nit2P

It obvious who/what/why...?

Thanks

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The faded design of the central pictures is nice, and I like the bisected bit between the two language portions. The bottom left text might be hard to see depending how large the poster is, but that's not the important part for the message.

The switched colors for the English and French at the top feels both out of place, and like not having it there would make things too plain. So I'm not sure how to feel about that part aesthetically, but it seems to do its job of catching the eye once the central portion has drawn a viewer's attention.

23. - Top - End - #203

DwarfFighterGuy

The faded design of the central pictures is nice, and I like the bisected bit between the two language portions. The bottom left text might be hard to see depending how large the poster is, but that's not the important part for the message.

The switched colors for the English and French at the top feels both out of place, and like not having it there would make things too plain. So I'm not sure how to feel about that part aesthetically, but it seems to do its job of catching the eye once the central portion has drawn a viewer's attention.
    Thank you very much for your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time. You have confirmed some of our thoughts. I am discussing it with my co-workers now. We definitely are going to change the top title.

We were also not sure if it was obvious enough who the employer is. I think In Canada it might be a little more obvious. Most people who I have shown it to thought it was obvious enough. Thoughts?

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The Canadian flags, .ca, and big Canada at the bottom seem clear enough that it's in Canada. They aren't what immediately draws the eye, but the big Canada in the bottom right at least should be visible through a passing glance as somebody walks by.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

On another note, have any of you tried the Pathfinder Kingmaker video game? It's pretty solid, a bit like Pillars of Eternity in a Pathfinder coat. Seems like a lot of people unfamiliar with the ttrpg system were frustrated and lost though, since they didn't have the preexisting knowledge of character building.

I'd have preferred something like the turn based mode in Pillars 2, but it's still good. Streamlines a lot of the kingdom management stuff that would be a hassle for GMs to run, too, since they have a computer to do it.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah, I haven't finished it but I did play a fair bit, maybe up to the third act I think. I would have liked proper turn-based combat as well, but I did like how otherwise faithful it was to real pathfinder. Fun trying out different builds too. Although remembering how to run a full party of high level PCs is tough. I maaaay have ended up just building the main character into a battle cleric of gorum...

I've heard of pillars, but I haven't played it. Is it any good?

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The system is a lot less complex and more balanced. Some might say too balanced - a lot of equipment options are sidegrades, so some people complain that they have trouble deciding what to use, or finding a use for later game special equipment. Pillars 1 is a lot like Kingmaker - or rather Kingmaker's design and mechanics seems to have been largely inspired by it, since it came first. It's a decent game, but has a few flaws - it has notoriously long load times for certain areas, most notably.

Pillars 2 improves on the first game in a lot of areas. The load times are still quite bad for the hub city, but the rest of the game seems to run a lot smoother since it came out, after patches. It came out with an optional turn based mode, which has an entirely different 'meta' and strategy to it. I enjoyed it back before turn based came out and have been replaying it recently, alongside Kingmaker. I'd say the largest downside is that getting the best experience out of the game means you should probably play Pillars 1 fully first, as the plot and exposition assumes you have done so.

Both games have interesting plots, some great casts of characters - party members especially - and pretty good voice acting. The world is that sweet spot of fleshed out and left vague that would make it very easy to shift things around to run a game in their setting.

If you enjoyed Kingmaker, I'd say they're worth taking a look at. Another great game is Divinity Original Sin 2, which is another turn based one and fantastic overall.

As far as my Kingmaker run, I've been going full Ranger. The Dog companion is an absolute metaphorical and literal beast. I also made Valerie multiclass into Kinetic Knight, and the added elemental damage and passive elementalist defense boosts to her repertoire really complements her Invulnerable Walking Wall schtick. I think she has approaching 40 AC, 3/- DR, concealment miss chance vs ranged weapons, every Save in the 10-15 range, and I'm only just at the start of Part 3 at around Level 9.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2019-09-12 at 07:33 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Awesome, I think I'll definitely have to check out pillars. Is the turn-based version only in the sequel? I'd rather play turn-based, but I don't want to lose the whole plot. I've just fallen back into playing a whole bunch of overwatch lately, but it would be good to have a single player game again.

Yeah, absolutely love Divinity. My wife and I put way too many hours into the first and the second, although I don't think we finished those either.

Yeah nice. I went an archery bard build for Lindsey, although the lack of feats would have made it a lot less powerful than yours. My Valerie was a megatank as well, although I think I went with some rogue (brawler) levels and a dazzling display build to help make her tougher to hit. It's great because tanking is way more viable against the AI. And sneak attack is borderline OP with the flanking and ranged sneak rules. Great game.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by H. Von Studley View Post
    Awesome, I think I'll definitely have to check out pillars. Is the turn-based version only in the sequel? I'd rather play turn-based, but I don't want to lose the whole plot. I've just fallen back into playing a whole bunch of overwatch lately, but it would be good to have a single player game again.
    Only the sequel, so far. If they do a remaster of the first game for the new consoles, they might add one - from what I've read, it was added to Pillars 2 alongside the release of the game on console, and added as a free DLC to the game on Steam.

Yeah, absolutely love Divinity. My wife and I put way too many hours into the first and the second, although I don't think we finished those either.
    I imagine DOS1 was quite fitting for a husband and wife duo.

Yeah nice. I went an archery bard build for Lindsey, although the lack of feats would have made it a lot less powerful than yours. My Valerie was a megatank as well, although I think I went with some rogue (brawler) levels and a dazzling display build to help make her tougher to hit. It's great because tanking is way more viable against the AI. And sneak attack is borderline OP with the flanking and ranged sneak rules. Great game.
    Ironically, my ranger has done more frontlining than archering. He's kind of flexible that way, able to change weapons to fit the party comp. I multi'd Linzi into Rogue, to take advantage of those ranged sneak attacks.

I also just got Nok-Nok tonight. I took a look at his starting gear and thought boy, getting this guy up to snuff is going to be expensive... then I got to the first encounter with him, and he started dispensing 30-40+ damage sneak attacks with his little non-magical knives at a rapid rate.

It was then that I realized the true, terrifying power of a Knife Master Rogue in a game that makes flanking so absurdly easy.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2019-09-13 at 01:11 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210

DwarfFighterGuy

On another note, have any of you tried the Pathfinder Kingmaker video game? It's pretty solid, a bit like Pillars of Eternity in a Pathfinder coat. Seems like a lot of people unfamiliar with the ttrpg system were frustrated and lost though, since they didn't have the preexisting knowledge of character building.

I'd have preferred something like the turn based mode in Pillars 2, but it's still good. Streamlines a lot of the kingdom management stuff that would be a hassle for GMs to run, too, since they have a computer to do it.
    My friend has it and he says it is quite good. I have been thinking I will get it eventually but I have Battletech and Warhammer Total war neither of which I feel I have really gotten my money our of. Plus I have a bunch of LoTR minis to paint and I am GMing a campaign the first session of which is monday. And 2 kids. Only so much leisure time to spare.