New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cube (IC)

1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The Cube (IC)

((OOC: Yeah, Hynerst can be from Sigil. What specific skills or divination magic do you want to use on the map?))

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Hynerst

((Grrth: if Ru's not ok with Hynerst taking the map for study, Hynerst will insist that he can do something useful with it. If Ru plans on making a big deal out of it, that's something else of course...))

On his way to the inn he has a room in, he stops to buy some extra paper and ink to copy the map and make notes (how much does he need?), and some rations. In case he passes a leather worker, he commissions a special leather bag to offer some protection for the ancient artifact. He is prepared to pay some extra because it has to be ready today.
    Once he's quietly in his room he starts making a copy of the map (detail depends on the estimated time it would take). Then he concentrates for 20 minutes with his spellbook, preparing read magic, detect magic and comprehend languages in his unprepared spell slots.
    First he checks for any magic on the map with detect magic (spellcraft +12)
    If there is, he proceeds with read magic, otherwise with comprehend languages (he'll cast both anyway, just to see whether more info can be gained). If it works, he writes the translation in common on his copy or in separate notes where appropriate. (both spells last 50 min, and he can cast them both trice if necessary)
    The remaining time he uses to study the map for anything important/unusual/hidden structure (taking 20 on intelligence check for 24, perhaps a synergy bonus from knowledge(architecture)).

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

((OOC: That's fine, Hynerst can take the map))

Hotaru:

It's a bit disappointing, the tavern was mostly empty, it being only mid-morning and all, but Hotaru decides to make the most of it and turns the full power of his charm on the two ladies.

"I find it most fascinating that you're from here, Loretta," he says. "I'm just passing through myself. Any good libraries here? And what about you, Linon, what do you like to do in your free time?" He'll give her a saucy wink.

He'll chat with them for awhile, and then make arrangements to sing for his room and board that night. "You ain't never heard anything like it!" he'll say.

((in case I need these:))

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (to convince the man to let him perform) (1d20+12)[23]
    and Perform (singing) for that evening's performance (1d20+11)[14]

((hmm, maybe he's a bit distracted by the beautiful ladies! ))
    Last edited by Grrth; 2007-09-28 at 06:21 PM.
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show
    Ke'Kitathas El'Tulari of Ambulating Artifacts:

Kit, Elven Paladin of Corellon Larethian, lvl 1
    (current) AC 13, hp: 10/10, init +1, Listen/Spot +4

Kai'Ninaste El'Tir of Lich Ruler:

Nina, elven Ranger/Rogue of Solonor Thelandira, lvl 2/3
    AC 17, hp: 26/26, init +3, Listen/Spot +12

Hotaru of The Cube:

'Ru, half-elven Bard, lvl 5
    AC 16, hp: 20/20, init +2, Listen/Spot +6/+1

4. - Top - End - #34

Here's what Hynerst translates. I suppose he shows it to you.

Spoiler
    Show
    The metal sheet is not magical, except for a feint aura of transmutation that you assume is the magical treatment that Yashar spoke of to keep the ancient artifact from falling apart completely. Let's assume you buy a "masterwork" leather bag that gives the metal sheets a +1 resistance modifier from being destroyed outright by falls and such things, if you want. I'll make the executive decision that such a bag will cost 50 GP, unless you want to try bargain the leatherworker down in price. Otherwise this is what you translate:

The fold-out metal sheet is about a yard square, equivalent to about 16 sheets of 7 X 11 inch sheets of paper. (I.e. 16 pages of text). Most of the artifact is so old that the language is illegible. Nonetheless you recongnize it as an ancient version of Draconic, so old that even you, who have studied that language for years in your isolated research libraries, could not understand the characters without the benefit of magic. This whole thing is so deteriorated from age that you can only recognize a few scattered sentences here and there.

The first 8 pages recount the author, a half-dragon half-kobald by the name of Yrrgoslavl who was commissioned by a Githyanki warlord to raid the Lady of Glau-kton's vault soon after it was sealed, perhaps 19 centuries ago. Page after page recounts how intelligent Yrrgoslavl is, and how many mates he has, and how many pretty gems he has, and how he is the greatest scholar in his warren den. The rest actually has to do with The Cube itself. Here is the pieces of writing that you are able to decode:

The Cube is set out like it says it is; a cube. It has eight rooms, subdividing The Cube into eight smaller equally sized cubes. It is arranged so that the lower levels are only accessible from the top levels, and the top level room leading into the lower level rooms is furthest from the entrance. Each cube only has two doors; one leading to the entrance and one leading to the supposed end goal of the crypt, wherever that will be. The partial commentary on the first room says: "Nothing here." The second room says "Our fellows fell…all the gold is gone, but we dare not retrieve it." The third room says "…only when we brought up the lights." The fourth room commentary says "…only the kobalds survived. Those that stood…" The fifth room says "…not quite a bad personality. I could hold a decent conversation with him, given enough time." The spaces for the sixth, seventh and eighth rooms are rusted entirely, and it appears that the front portion of the plate has fallen off entirely.

There are some doodles on the drawing, too. One shows a grinning skull with lightning bolts coming out it's eyes. This drawing appears on the fourth room panel. Another drawing shows what looks like a dark patch of ink with giant claws tearing apart a humanoid of some sort. This is associated with the third room. One drawing, in the introductory segment of the text, shows a huge kobald with what looks like body armor made entirely from jewels standing on a pile of gold with a dozen kobald females sitting around it. This drawing is much more detailed than the rest. Popping out of a mass of rotted metal are the words "…yes, they are smart, but these riddles are just sadistic."

Last edited by hexonxonx; 2007-09-28 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added spoiler

5. - Top - End - #35

Hotaru: Your performance is somewhat mediocre. A few old married couples feel sorry for you and you get (d10)[5](5) copper for the performance.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Loretta

Starting to reply to the library question, Loretta stops as Hotaru's attention jumps to Linon. She waits to answer till they reach the tavern.

Over the course of the meal Loretta explains a few things about the town, and points out that there's not real "libraries" in town. It's like a retirement center for adventurers, there's little need for a lot of the particulars of city life since there's always a wizard somewhere nearby who can cast a spell to make it better. Though there's a number of wizards and the like who have their own private book collections, The extra-dimensional ones give people headaches though. Plus they aren't usually the type to open them to the public.
    It is a rules lawyers duty to point out every mistake by his fellow players, dungeon masters, and everyone else in the room.
    Thank goodness Rule 0 is actually in the book.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

After walking around town, and frustratingly finding that there is no mithral in the town (despite it being a somewhat successful trading post), John goes to the tavern, just in time to catch Hotaru's unsuccessful performance. He smiles to himself. He sits down at the bar, and signals the tender. "One water, and, I don't know, some beef, and best spices you have.".

He scoots next to the other adventurers, and after listening to Loretta explains about Xii'thktor, he says, "So, do you know anything about this 'Cube', and, is the mayor honorable? Will he keep his word? "

OOc: Um, how do you do the rolls? I can't quite figure it out.
    RIP Gary Gygax, March 4th, 2008. May he roll 20's in heaven forever.
    RIP Dave Arneson, April 7th, 2009. He roleplays his way into our hearts.
    Avatar by Banjo1985, the Awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by havocfett
    Quote Originally Posted by My self
    I'll throw in my hat as a Dwarf Warlord//Were-Dire Badger, going into Dwarven Defender and Deepwarden from Races of Stone. Is that cool?
    ...I'm not sure the vocabulary exists in the english language to express how much I approve of this concept.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
    Hotaru: Your performance is somewhat mediocre. A few old married couples feel sorry for you and you get [roll0] copper for the performance.
    (( Well, got to have a balance for that fantastic diplomacy role, eh? Oh well))

After said performance, Hotaru joins the others at the table. "Hmm, I guess they've heard better!" he says, shrugging off the miserable performance with a laugh and a joke.
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

Hotaru of The Cube:

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Jarek

Jarek listens attentively to the description of the town, nothing like the locals to give you a good feel for a place. Jarek smiles at Hotaru, "It's okay, but if you'd like to try your luck in a different sort of way I'm always ready for a bet!" He shakes the pouch that hangs from his neck meaningfully. The sound of what can only be dice rattle about in his pocket.
    (ooc: next part only if we are told about the map)

"Of course, there's nothing more interesting than a riddle, and that map presents an interesting one even with translation. Heck, perhaps a bet on a riddle might even present itself. In fact, judging by the description of the map we might not be in that cube long enough to get musty smelling armor or whatnot after all! Anyone interested in wagering how long it will take us to clear? Not that I'm in a rush."

10. - Top - End - #40

[rollv.]d20[/rollv.] without the periods

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Linon

Linon answers Hotaru's question only briefly, saying she mainly enjoys the simple things in life and ignoring his wink. She's really curious to hear what Loretta has to say, both about the libraries ("That's a shame, I like libraries, even though I never had much of a head for studying.") and in response to John's questions.

As to Hotaru's singing, you can all see that she obviously takes pleasure in the performance, and would have done so even if it had been lousy.

Jarek's suggestion surprises her, but as she has no interest in gambling, she soon turns her attention elsewhere. She looks at John. It's as if someone has made one of the golden athlete statues in a temple of Kord come alive. She has to smile at the idea of that, and asks him: "So, where have you received your martial training?"

[OOC: I can't see John's character sheet. Is this just me again, or is it not public? What weapon does he carry?]
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Taffimai View Post
    Linon

Linon answers Hotaru's question only briefly, saying she mainly enjoys the simple things in life and ignoring his wink. She's really curious to hear what Loretta has to say, both about the libraries ("That's a shame, I like libraries, even though I never had much of a head for studying.") and in response to John's questions.

As to Hotaru's singing, you can all see that she obviously takes pleasure in the performance, and would have done so even if it had been lousy.

Jarek's suggestion surprises her, but as she has no interest in gambling, she soon turns her attention elsewhere. She looks at John. It's as if someone has made one of the golden athlete statues in a temple of Kord come alive. She has to smile at the idea of that, and asks him: "So, where have you received your martial training?"

[OOC: I can't see John's character sheet. Is this just me again, or is it not public? What weapon does he carry?]
    John looks over at Linon. Hmm. I guess she's interested in me. He looks back down at his plate for a second, pushes it away, and turns to face Linon. "I always naturally good with a sword, but I received most of my training from a group of adventurers I was apprenticed to. I had just got out of their service when I was called for this."

OOc:Johnathan Desna. The other link is faulty. He uses a ghost touch longsword.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll throw in my hat as a Dwarf Warlord//Were-Dire Badger, going into Dwarven Defender and Deepwarden from Races of Stone. Is that cool?
    ...I'm not sure the vocabulary exists in the english language to express how much I approve of this concept.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Hynerst

Hynerst is both pleased with himself about what he found, and puzzled about the missing pieces. He would like to think about it some more, but he has learned that cooperation is best in dangerous situation. After an internal struggle, he decides it is best to face the unpleasantness that is a tavern and explain everything he found out about the map.
    He only arrives after the bards performance, and stands outside the door for almost 10 minutes before he enters. He puts his hand deep in his pocket en stares directly at his toes when he enters. Slowly he shuffles towards the group. "I have some information that can be useful for our mission."
    Only when everyone is paying attention, he unfolds the map carefully, and starts explaining every detail of what he learned, hardly stopping to breath. Of course he occasionally has to, which results in a loud gasp. He doesn't sit down.

Silently on Yarek's remark about riddles:
    "I like riddles too"

Spoiler
    Show
    He doesn't bargain for the bag and just pays the 50 gold.
    Can he link the drawings in room 3 and 4 with some kind of creatures? (knowledge: arcana:+15, dungeon:+8, nature:+8, religion:+8, the planes:+12)

14. - Top - End - #44

To Hynerst:
    Spoiler
    Show
    the drawings are far too crude to even hint at what they refer too.

15. - Top - End - #45

RedKnightGirl

Linon

Your findings are most useful, sir. But won't you join us? And won't you tell us your name? I am Linon, and these are Loretta, Ru, Jarek and John. She stretches her hand towards every person as she speaks their names.

[OOC: If you want to sit in any other order, I'll edit the post. Also, I've assumed that Jarek would have told us his name by now.]
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

16. - Top - End - #46

'Only the kobalds survived..." John was turning that passage in his head. "Kobalds are kinda short, aren't they?" He asks nobody in particular.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Hynerst

"My name is Hynerst Whistkingstone. Kobalds are short." He pauses uncomfortably and doesn't attempt to sit down. "It is noisy in here."

Spoiler
    Show
    What kind of knowledge check do we need for Kobalds?

18. - Top - End - #48

OOC: None for kobalds; they are a fairly common race that everybody knows about.

19. - Top - End - #49

"Um, we might want to duck when we enter that room." John said. He turned to Hynerst. "You wanna go back upstairs?" John asked Hynerst, while motioning with his hand towards the stairs.
    Last edited by Halna LeGavilk; 2007-09-29 at 08:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Loretta

We got plenty of time to decipher the riddles as we walk there, so I won't let them bother my nights sleep,
    thinks Loretta. Of course, nodding as she is named off.

"To noisy? feh, Noisy means everyone's minding their own business. If we'd be in here and no one were speaking then you'd be worried."
    It is a rules lawyers duty to point out every mistake by his fellow players, dungeon masters, and everyone else in the room.

21. - Top - End - #51

John snorts. "Yeah, but noisy also means harder thinking and more distractions, just in case you've never noticed. Besides, our scholar probably prefers the quiet, and I highly doubt that any of us are as intelligent as he is." John pulls his plate closer. He quickly finishes off what's left off the meal. "Either way, I'm gonna be upstairs."
    With that, John leaves and goes up the stairs to the room.

OOc:Did we rent a room?
    Last edited by Halna LeGavilk; 2007-09-29 at 08:37 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Jarek

OOC: I actually did say my name close to the beginning to Hotaru, I figured everyone could here since were in the same room, if not yeah, I probably would have said it to everyone else somewhere along the line.

"Yeah, I guess I could probably head upstairs, although it would be nice to figure out some sort of strategy so we can all prepare for the adventure. Sometimes luck has a way of favoring those who are ready to take advantage of it."

Jarek looks about and shrugs.

"Either way I'm fine I suppose."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Hynerst

(OoC: Hynerst already rent a room for the previous weeks in the safest and cleanest looking inn in town. I don't know whether it is this one.)

Those close enough to see his face (he is looking down with his strange square hat covering view from the front) might see a feint smile when John comments on his intelligence.
    Carefully, he folds the map again, puts it in the bag, mumbling something about "tomorrow" and scurries out the room, bumping into a chair on the way. In his room he locks the door and casts alarm, as he does every night.

24. - Top - End - #54

RedKnightGirl

Linon

Linon waits to see what everybody does. If they all retire, she returns to the temple she's staying at (Any good or neutral temple will do in case St. Cuthbert is not represented in this city). She makes a mental note that they should warn the mayor of Hynerst's findings, since they are not the first to enter the tomb and there might not be any treasure left.

25. - Top - End - #55

To Linon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Yashar finds you at the temple the next morning. (Xii'thktor is on the outlands, and the outlands are non-aligned, so there are no temples to specific deities in Xii'thktor) You tell him about the map's findings. He appears deep in thought for a while, then says, "My own gut feeling is that they did not find whatever treasure they were looking for. They seem almost...amaturish. Especially the author, whoever that was. On the other hand, it could be the case that they did find the prime stockpile, and it is all gone. Nonetheless we need to make sure for certain. I will pay each of you 4,000 GP even if there is nothing there, as my words yesterday were indeed a promise, as you were so adamant in informing me." He gives you a toothy smile at this. "But you should explore the grave to the best of your ability, as we need to assure other treasure hunters that we are indeed treasure free. The Town Counsel would not see an influx of treasure hunters throning our streets, and the only way we can convince others to avoid our town is to make for certain that there is no treasure to be had in the crypt." He sighs. "Thank you for telling me the translation. I know our kind do not often mix, and are seldom friends, but I hope you can lay aside your prejudice long enough to trust me."
    With that he leaves to go.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Loretta

Since everyone's heading to bed, Loretta heads out too. She'd have offered her home to Linon, but she seems set to stay at a temple. Besides, her place is a bit cramped for anyone not dwarf sized.

Loretta spends the night re-checking her equipment, making sure her Animal Companion is ready, and doubting if she should really be doing this.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Hotaru:

I haven't had to pay for my own room in months, Hotaru muses as he hands the innkeeper a few coins. He mourns the loss of even those few coins, but consoles himself with the thought that he would soon be 4,000 gold richer in only a few days. Then his quest could begin once more.

He wonders at the lack of libraries in this town. Wouldn't the 'retired' adventures that Loretta said that lived here want to publish tales of their own deeds? Perhaps, when this little treasure-hunting mission were concluded, he could ask around a bit. There just had to be someone here who knew a thing or two about dragons!

His utter lack of success in his performance still rankles the bard and he had stayed much more silent than usual through the conversation regarding the map. The map, now, that unnerved Hotaru and he deliberately turns his mind to other things, pleasanter things with which to fall asleep thinking about.

He's up early in the morning, eats quickly, and joins the others at the meeting point, anxious to get this done and over with so he can get back to his true passion, dragon-hunting.
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

Hotaru of The Cube:

28. - Top - End - #58

John spent the whole night checking and rechecking his equipment, thinking about the map, and wondering what lay ahead.

He rose early, darned his gear, eat a simple breakfast (unusual for him), and went down to the meeting point early. He sits playing his harmonica until everybody gets there.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Jarek

Jarek spends the night at the same inn that a couple of the others are staying at. When day breaks he prepares his adventuring gear, and does a quick check of things. He spends a small amount of time thinking about the many places he has traveled, and the various states of luck (or unluck) he has been in throughout. He lets his mind be filled with these thoughts, and he chooses the spells that he thinks will help him make or make use of the luck of the day. He then goes to the pre assigned meeting point.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Hynerst

Hynerst has an unpleasant night, and is barely rested enough in the morning. He wakes early to clear his mind and prepare properly, checking every item in his packs at least four times. It is an hour early that he arrives at the meeting point, but he just stands in a corner, not talking to anyone and waiting patiently.