New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Cube (IC)

1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: The Cube (IC)

"Jarek"

Jarek looks about the group falling apart. He also looks back to the creature. Hmm, I suppose there might be some way around it. Jarek snaps his fingers.

"Look, as much as I like everyone doing there own thing, I think there might be a way to combine everyone's plans. Loretta, see if you can get it's attention to one side of the room." Jarek runs out of the room, and yells to the two wood gatherers, "don't light the fire quite yet, I'll be ready to help you carry some in a bit." Jarek track's down Linon, and tries to get her attention. "Look, I know that you're upset, but I think that I have a plan to keep away from the creature, and not hurt it either, really it combines the best of what everyone is doing, but I'm not good at convincing people, and I think you could bring the group back together." Jarek explains to her that he thinks if Loretta can get the creature to one side or the other then the rest of the group could try to build a barrier of wood and fire that would keep it there, then all we'd have to do is find the door. The whole place shouldn't light on fire, he guessed, since it is so damp, but if we can get a decent pile of wood in a straight line, maybe the stuff on top will light. Things seemed a lot drier outside, so they might float fairly well. I don't know if it is perfect, but it seems like the best idea that I can think of, and it might take a long dang time, so we just need somebody to keep us organized. "What do you think?" he askes her.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

John goes over to Jarek and Linon, carrying a bundle of wood. "So, Jarek, what's the plan?" John asks, in a genuinely-polite-yet-slightly-sarcastic-tone.
    RIP Gary Gygax, March 4th, 2008. May he roll 20's in heaven forever.
    RIP Dave Arneson, April 7th, 2009. He roleplays his way into our hearts.
    Avatar by Banjo1985, the Awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by havocfett
    Quote Originally Posted by My self
    I'll throw in my hat as a Dwarf Warlord//Were-Dire Badger, going into Dwarven Defender and Deepwarden from Races of Stone. Is that cool?
    ...I'm not sure the vocabulary exists in the english language to express how much I approve of this concept.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Hynerst

Hynerst is very carefully gathering wood, painfully studying every branch for mold or wet spots, and making sure he doesn't stain his robes, when Jarek gathers everyone for his plan.
    He listens very quietly, but bursts out with concerns when Jarek is finished.
    "What if it is not scared of fire? What if the fire burns out, and we want to get back out, worn down from other challenges?"

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Linon

Finding Linon isn't hard, sinced she never strayed too far from the entrance to the Cube. A grateful smile spreads across her face as she listens to Jarek.

"I simply love your plan, Jarek, and I don't think you particularly need someone else to help you convince the others. I'd say you were doing a pretty good job right now. So how could I help out? Shall I gather more wood?"

"Oh, John," she calls out as she sees John approaching, "You have to listen to Jarek! He has the most wonderful plan!"

She then darts off to the nearby shrubs to look for dry wood. Those watching her get the distinct impression that if it hadn't been for her heavy armour, she might have been skipping.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Jarek

Jarek slightly grimaces as Linon goes off, damnit, I didn't really want to be running around dealing with everyone, I just wanted to make it so we weren't all pissed at each other. Oh well. Jarek explains the plan to the others, winces at John's sarcasm, and nods at Hynerst's points. "Well, you have some good points Hyrnerst. I was just doing my best to find a non violent solution, and you do have a pretty good point there. It's pretty likely it's afraid of fire, but not completely for sure. I suppose we could test that before we go completely out of the way, I just assumed you all were gathering wood because you thought it would be too. Could be wrong. The length is an issue though, you are right. I'm not sure exactly what to do about it, I can carry a few pounds of wood in my bag, it's magical, but not as much as we might need. Although if it is scared of fire, and wall of fire idea works, it might take a lot less on the way out. It seems at least sort of smart, and maybe it'll be afraid we'll use more fire on the way out if we just brandish a little bit. It's not a perfect plan either, so if anyone has any ideas, or just wants to shoot it down, go right ahead."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Hotaru:

Ru sat down next to Loretta on the chasm edge. He leaned his chin in one hand, resting on an elbow upon his thigh.

"What good's a druid who won't speak to plants?" he muttered. "Making a barrier to distract it is good sense, though, don't you think? Likely we can find another way out once we're in."

He gave the dwarf a thoughtful look. "How are you going to draw the creature over here while they set the bonfire?"
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show
    Ke'Kitathas El'Tulari of Ambulating Artifacts:

Kit, Elven Paladin of Corellon Larethian, lvl 1
    (current) AC 13, hp: 10/10, init +1, Listen/Spot +4

Kai'Ninaste El'Tir of Lich Ruler:

Nina, elven Ranger/Rogue of Solonor Thelandira, lvl 2/3
    AC 17, hp: 26/26, init +3, Listen/Spot +12

Hotaru of The Cube:

'Ru, half-elven Bard, lvl 5
    AC 16, hp: 20/20, init +2, Listen/Spot +6/+1

7. - Top - End - #187
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Loretta

"I dunno..."
    starts Loretta, as she let's the ideas cross her mind. "Pretty sure we can just provoke it by tossin dirt at it. Wither that'll make it mad so it comes closer to me, or annoyed and it tries to back away is it's decision. If not dirt then some heavier rocks."

She sighs, "Granted you rarely get a chance to observe something like this, unless you throw plant matter on an orc, and it's kinda interesting to watch how this guy walks, moves, and looks around, for lack of a better term. I kinda wish it was a little more straight forward. Though I shouldn't say anything, because we'll be up to our ears in trouble soon enough." Loretta leans back for a moment, quietly laughing at the absurdity. "Imagine if this story was being told; "and the heroes met their first challenge by yelling at each other, asking for help, and trapping a creature in a corner because they were too cautious of traps to even take the first real step in." Heh." Loretta leans back forward, eyeballing the creature again. "At least we don't have someone with barbaric roots with us; I remember one guy, nut case really. He would have hopped down there without a moments notice, and slashed viney into pieces just as fast. Got a few scars from adventureing with him, to be sure."

Loretta stands up, and put's away her axe and hammer. Noticibly her dwarven accent kicks in again. "Sorry, I be rambling again. I'ma go get some rocks to toss."
    It is a rules lawyers duty to point out every mistake by his fellow players, dungeon masters, and everyone else in the room.
    Thank goodness Rule 0 is actually in the book.

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by webgem View Post
    Jarek

Jarek slightly grimaces as Linon goes off, damnit, I didn't really want to be running around dealing with everyone, I just wanted to make it so we weren't all pissed at each other. Oh well. Jarek explains the plan to the others, winces at John's sarcasm, and nods at Hynerst's points. "Well, you have some good points Hyrnerst. I was just doing my best to find a non violent solution, and you do have a pretty good point there. It's pretty likely it's afraid of fire, but not completely for sure. I suppose we could test that before we go completely out of the way, I just assumed you all were gathering wood because you thought it would be too. Could be wrong. The length is an issue though, you are right. I'm not sure exactly what to do about it, I can carry a few pounds of wood in my bag, it's magical, but not as much as we might need. Although if it is scared of fire, and wall of fire idea works, it might take a lot less on the way out. It seems at least sort of smart, and maybe it'll be afraid we'll use more fire on the way out if we just brandish a little bit. It's not a perfect plan either, so if anyone has any ideas, or just wants to shoot it down, go right ahead."
    John nods while Jarek is telling his plan.. "I like the plan, I think it's a good one. But, uh, one thing: we are still going to have to deal with this thing after we come back, and I'd really rather do it sooner rather than later."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll throw in my hat as a Dwarf Warlord//Were-Dire Badger, going into Dwarven Defender and Deepwarden from Races of Stone. Is that cool?
    ...I'm not sure the vocabulary exists in the english language to express how much I approve of this concept.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Hynerst

nagging:
    "Why don't we just kill it? It is safer to kill it from up here."
    Hesitantly, he adds:
    "If it can climb a rope, we could throw down a rope, and hide in an extradimensional space until it's gone? After that, we can block the entrance."

10. - Top - End - #190

RedKnightGirl

Linon

Gathering enough wood for a barrier is hard work, but Linon is in such high spirits that she doesn't notice. Whenever the concerns of her companions reach her, she does her best to impart some of her own enthousiasm on them, unknowingly taking up the part that Jarek had designed for her.

"I know that this plan isn't foolproof, Mister Whistkingstone, but then again plans very rarely are. I understand that you are mostly concerned about everybody's safety and I think that is very laudable, yet remember how everybody was aching to go down first. In our hearts we all want to be heroes in our own way, and for most of us that includes taking a hit for a friend once in a while. I'll make sure to walk inbetween you and the barrier at all times, and who knows? If it decides to charge through it'll probably do so while you are still up here and then I could carry you across the mud safely afterwards, keeping your robes clean."

"Yes, John, my weapon is burning in my hand too. Think of it this way: we're giving the creature a fair chance and if it doesn't take it, we'll get to valiantly fight side by side and practice those flanking manoeuvres we discussed. I find that thought a lot more appealing than the endless process of firing and reloading crossbows, while at the same time involving a lot less risk than my idea to bring it up here."

"Ah, but you forget one essential detail, Loretta. No story ever gets told exactly the way it happened, and I'm sure that when the time comes to compose the Ballad of the Cube, the person holding the quill will put a heroic spin on things."
    Here she gives Hotaru a meaningful wink.

Edit: ((Sorry Bender, you posted while I was typing.)) Linon likes Hynerst's proposal, but once again brings up the fact that the creature probably wouldn't be able to squeeze through the entrance. However, if the others want to give it a try, she's all for it.

Edit 2: Fixed colour
    Last edited by Taffimai; 2007-10-21 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Ninja'd
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

11. - Top - End - #191

John smiles at Linon's perky attitude and bright words. "Alright, I suppose we'll do it your way Linon. " He continues picking up wood. After he gets an armful (about 50 pounds or so) he walks over to Jarek. "Jarek, what do you want me to do with these logs? Just toss them in the pit?"
    Last edited by Halna LeGavilk; 2007-10-21 at 10:15 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Jarek

OOC: I only say this after the creature is lured to the side, if the "lure" doesn't work this plan is pretty much done fer.
    "Yeah, that should work, try to make something of a barrier between it and where we think the door might be, we'll probably need the strong folks like you to do the far end of the barrier." Jarek also starts carrying wood into the cube.

13. - Top - End - #193

John nods, but when he goes over to the pit, he says "Hotaru, we need everybody gathering wood, alright?" John then puts the wood down next to the pit, at the half-way point.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Loretta

Loretta walks over to one side of the opening, and starts calling toward the thing. "Hey, shrubs, yo! look over here~ Oooohoooh." Loretta starts, seeing if she can get the big guy to waddle over to her. Hopefully he'll get closer to her at the sides edge, weither he's curious or trying to attack her is it's idea.

If he doesn't move over, she'll toss some smaller rocks and dirt in the corner, see if he'll move over there. And of course, failing that she'll toss a few rocks at him. Nothing damaging yet, just annoying.

OOC: here's hoping he's a bit curious.
    It is a rules lawyers duty to point out every mistake by his fellow players, dungeon masters, and everyone else in the room.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Hynerst

Hynerst quietly and slowly helps with the wood gathering. Because he only carries a fraction of the others and watches every step carefully, he's really more hindrance than anything else.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Hotaru:

Ru sighs and joins in the wood gathering. "Just how much do we need?" he asks, seeing how much has already been gathered.
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

Hotaru of The Cube:

17. - Top - End - #197
    Halfling in the Playground

The creature walks towards the side Loretta is on and tries to flail at her with it's tendrils, which are too short to reach her. It is somewhat curious about the log pile building at the bottom of the pit, but soon looses interest in that and tries to pull down Loretta.

I don't think building a fire should be too hard. Let's say it'll take an hour to get all the stuff together.

18. - Top - End - #198

Gathering wood, and going back and forth, John pauses every once in a while to look proudly on the fast growing woodpile. Halfway to the door, he comes to a sudden stop, then turns around slowly. He quietly walks over to the edge. "Um, guys, what if it climbs on the woodpile?"
    John calls out to the rest of the party.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Hynerst

Hynerst immediately stops. Very concerned: "Yes, what if it climbs on the woodpile?"

20. - Top - End - #200

RedKnightGirl

Linon

Linon sighs and puts down the wood that she was holding.

"Well, to be quite honest I was sort of hoping that's what it would do after the fire died out. You know, realise that this is no longer a suitable home and get out. That way the Cube would be safe for Yashar's men when they come to get the treasure, but we wouldn't have to kill it. Face it, the way it's been acting so far doesn't really spell "friendly"."

She looks John and Hynerst in the eye before she continues:

"I am not going to think any less of you if you want to kill this creature from up here. It would be by far the fastest, safest and most efficient way of dealing with it, now that we know that Lady Deidre has no intention of talking to it.

I know for a fact that it would not be a crime. That doesn't mean I have to like it. I don't. I don't want to watch you do it. I wouldn't want to participate even if I thought I could. I prefer Jarek's plan, or any other plan that gives it a chance to retreat or surrender. But trust me, if it finds a way of hurting any of you, I'll come to fight it off. If I thought it would put you in danger not to have me here, I'd stay. Just as long as there's no reason, I'd rather not be forced to do something that goes against my nature.

Now we're never going to get anywhere if we keep going back and forth. We're six different people, chances are that in any given situation, some of us are going to want to go about it differently than others. You two obviously feel strongly against letting it live. I can accept that regardless of my own preference. I'd like to hear how the rest of us feel, so we can finally decide upon a plan and stick with it."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Jarek

Jarek tosses a few more sticks onto the barrier, as the worries about height come up he ponders a moment. "It probably doesn't really need to be that high of a barrier, just a couple feet high and in a long enough line that won't be able to get around, although if it can just climb up we could let it go and it probably wouldn't come back. I'm fine with either plan though, it was just an alternate option, the shooting with a bow is far safer I agree. Either way is equally fine with me, I'm fine with the idea that it might be behind us at the end, I'll play it by ear, or if the general concensus is shoot it, I guess I could stomach it. Who knows maybe a couple shots will have it cowering in the corner. "

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Hotaru:

With arms full of wood, Ru sighs. "Why stop now? Let's see if this plan works. We can always change our minds again once we see what it will do."
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

Hotaru of The Cube:

23. - Top - End - #203

John turns to Linon. "If we are going to kill that thing, I'd prefer to jump down there myself and have a good, old fashioned sword fight. But, I'm good with whatever the group wants to do, and I'm guessing that is finishing up the pile of wood and lighting it on fire."
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Hynerst

With all the commotion and discussion, Hynerst blocks and stays where he is. He rocks backwards and forwards a bit, staring at his knees.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Loretta

Though it looks silly, Loretta continues making faces and noises at the plant monster. If only to keep it's attention. At one point even reaching down with her axe though she keeps it still out of his reach.

"Is it enough to stop him yet? He might be getting bored of watching me."

26. - Top - End - #206

RedKnightGirl

Linon

Linon's immediate urge when she sees Hynerst's distress is to halt the others and convince them to change plans. Obviously the view of the creature flailing violently at Loretta, combined with John's suggestion that it might climb up here, have paralysed the man with fear. It had always struck her as particularly injust that making group decisions by majority, while a fair principle in itself, could lead to ignoring the concerns of an individual.

However, she is reminded of her own words:"we're never going to get anywhere if we keep going back and forth." Their woodpile is all but finished, Loretta has been playing the clown for almost an hour already and they are all getting weary of the situation. Therefore, she unhooks her gauntlets, walks over to Hynerst, lays her hands on his arm in what she hopes is a soothing gesture and gently ushers him outside.

"Come along, Mister Whistkingstone, let's go and get some fresh air. You'll feel better once you are out of this dank smell. Why don't you look at your copy of the map again, think about what might await us in the next room and what our options are to deal with it. There, I think you will be quite safe here. Now if anything happens, remember that we can hear you quite well, so you need only call and we'll come. I will come back in a few minutes to see how you are."

As soon as Hynerst has calmed down somewhat, she goes back and doubles her efforts on throwing wood down the pit, occasionally popping out to check up on Hynerst. Not very keen to have a repeat of everybody wanting to go down first, she suggests keeping a strong log that's wider than the entrance of the Cube, lodging it outside in front of the entrance and tying their ropes to it. That way, several people can climb down at once without needing anyone to hold the ropes.

When they are all satisfied that there is enough wood to make a fire that'll burn high enough and long enough for their plan, she borrows Hynerst's torch and invites him back in, stressing that it is quite ok for him to stay outside if that makes him feel safer.

With the torch, she sets five bundles of dry grass on fire, hands four of them to her companions and waits for all of them to be ready to throw them all down at once at different spots on their wall of wood. Anxiously, she awaits the creature's reaction to the fire.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Hynerst

When Linon touches Hynerst, his reaction is very sudden and explosive. He knocks her hand away and shouts "Don't touch me". A few moments later he hesitantly adds "I don't like people to touch me". He does follow her outside.
    Outside, he doesn't reply and doesn't take out the map. He looks to be deep in thought.

His everburning torch doesn't set anything on fire, but he offers a flint and steel to light the dry grass.
    Last edited by Bender; 2007-10-28 at 04:10 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208

John looks around at his companions. "I'm ready. You guys?"
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Loretta

"Sorry vines for brains. Either you learn to breathe fire, or go find a corner."

Loretta stands up, readies her axe and set's her hammer on her belt for easy access once she tosses her bundle of flame.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Hotaru:

Whatever his reservations are, Ru, too, is ready for action, taking his flaming grass bundle and nodding that he, too, is ready.
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

Hotaru of The Cube: