New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Dwarf in the Playground

confused Re: Warcraft Gitp Group

No, I just walked in and he was all up my face. He rambled something about me being an A-hole, said god told him I was, when I questioned his sanity, he said I was calling god all whacko. He also stated everyone I love should die. Like I said, his interpersonal skills need work.

In other news, that deserty DotA clone needs serious work. Tannish will probably hate me for that, though. But really, the bear chick? how is that possibly a good idea. Dota's approach to a bear/hero team was a lot more viable, with passive skills up the whazoo for the bear, and Three item slots!
    Last edited by Forderz; 2008-10-01 at 08:01 PM.
    My druid thinks tree sap tastes like candy.

Never, ever, EVER, make a magazine. Speaking from personal experience, it's awful.

Would you like to read an allegory to the Arab Spring, told in the style of Indiana Jones meets Welcome to Sarajevo, through the medium of Ponies?

2. - Top - End - #752
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Warcraft Gitp Group

What is Gitp? Sorry I'm not familiar with the term.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forderz View Post
    No, I just walked in and he was all up my face. He rambled something about me being an A-hole, said god told him I was, when I questioned his sanity, he said I was calling god all whacko. He also stated everyone I love should die. Like I said, his interpersonal skills need work.
    Yeah, but he did that the last time you two played already, too, so it must be something older. Sadly, I don't quite remember which statement of yours evoked his ire.

Quote Originally Posted by mushroom-eater View Post
    What is Gitp? Sorry I'm not familiar with the term.
    Giant in the Playground. It's the site we are posting on right now.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

4. - Top - End - #754
    Bugbear in the Playground

Eh, you get used to tannish after a while. Chances are he's not really angry.

Desert of Exile (it's not a DotA clone, it actually has different game-play elements) was fine before 1.09b, but things took a wrong turn or two with that version. The version we usually play, 1.08b is way better. It has no Mute-on-Resurrection mechanic, fewer heroes (which were more balanced), and was overall just more fun.

The bear-archer thing would be really cool for an ORPG, but I think it really shouldn't be in an AoS. It's a neat concept but is really hard to balance, or, hell, make it be fun.
    Last edited by The Orange Zergling; 2008-10-01 at 08:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Dwarf in the Playground

The last time i played the bear/archer combo was in that other version without the stupid mute mechanic, and actually, bear/archer was pretty good during late game. In the beginning, you could barely call both the bear and archer something worth a hero, mostly half a hero, but eventually you'll get the necessary skills you primarily need for them. However, most people treat the bear as a disposable target, but it really works more as a second hero even though you can revive it for free.

I'm not sure whither they screwed it up in the latest version, but if it sucks that much, then, well.....yeah .

Now, i have to find out how the heck to play the flame spawn guy (Dis, i think was the name)

6. - Top - End - #756

Quote Originally Posted by atomsized View Post
    The last time i played the bear/archer combo was in that other version without the stupid mute mechanic, and actually, bear/archer was pretty good during late game. In the beginning, you could barely call both the bear and archer something worth a hero, mostly half a hero, but eventually you'll get the necessary skills you primarily need for them. However, most people treat the bear as a disposable target, but it really works more as a second hero even though you can revive it for free.

I'm not sure whither they screwed it up in the latest version, but if it sucks that much, then, well.....yeah .

Now, i have to find out how the heck to play the flame spawn guy (Dis, i think was the name)
    Actually, the version we were just playing was the version with the mute mechanic. Maybe I just wasn't using her right, but the bear couldn't catch up to ranged heroes, and was dead half the time because it didn't run fast enough. I would have equipped 2 boots but -4 Armor is... significant. And when the bear is dead, all 4 of her skills are useless. They don't even refund mana if you misclick while the bear is dead.

And sorry, but I haven't tried Dis yet so I can't really help you. All I know is that his skills set himself on fire a lot... I think, anyway.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, Boots give -2 armor now? That blows (unless the speed bonus was increased).

8. - Top - End - #758
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, that is the very bad downside. Let me give a quick description on Dis.

A can of helium drenched in alcohol with a huge neon sign on it saying flammable with candy cane legs.

Or something like that, but yes, he is mainly about suicide, but if you're lucky enough to even get close enough to suicide, then it will only deal 240 dmg at lvl 5, and by that time your opponents might already be at the 900 life mark. Then you have your other skills, one that heals life for every effect on the opponents around you which IS nifty, and might make up for it except for the very fact that it then gives you burn () and you'll probably end up dieing anyways. If your opponents haven't yet knocked you over and lit you with a match. The 3rd skill, which burns people around you for 10 dmg each including you () channels for 8 secs then you have a dmg boost if you managed to survive that long. Finally, the ultimate though, is OK, it gives you a lava spawn for every effect you have on you, and using your kamikaze skills you can pile an army of weak firelings while burning at the same time, leaving just your spawnlings which only last for 15 seconds anyways. Don't get excited over the lvl 2 spawns, they only deal maybe around 5 damage more, considering you haven't died and actually progressed into lvl 12.

I'm not saying that Dis is just the worst, it might because i'm just not good with him and maybe i just need to play him a different way, but then again, in my opinion, i doubt it .

9. - Top - End - #759
    Dwarf in the Playground

As I was reading that description, I immediately thought of this comic on Bob and George: http://bobandgeorge.com/archives/index.php?date=060426. Sounds pretty close to what you've described.
    Last edited by LiteYear; 2008-10-01 at 09:20 PM.

10. - Top - End - #760

Quote Originally Posted by LiteYear View Post
    Oh, Boots give -2 armor now? That blows (unless the speed bonus was increased).
    The tooltip says 15, which IIRC is actually less than before (I think in 1.08 it's 30 but not entirely sure).

Quote Originally Posted by atomsized
    long post
    Ouch. I guess if you got the Burn duration reduction item it wouldn't be quite so bad, but still. My guess is that he's a support hero, doing his stuff while someone else takes all of the fire (no pun intended)... no idea though.

The skeletal archer had an 80 damage spell that dealt AoE to things suffering from Ruin, an autocast ability that dealt 80 (!!) AoE damage and Ruined the target for 2 seconds, a passive that made attacked enemies burn for 6 seconds and boosted movement speed by 20%, and his ult was a slow-moving fireball that tracked enemies, had 2000 range and blew up when reaching it's target, burning things in the radius and probably had instant damage too. And it couldn't be detonated early when something walked in front of it like Arro Kree's fireball spell could.

He was over the top.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Orange Zergling View Post
    Eh, you get used to tannish after a while. Chances are he's not really angry.
    No, tannish is a troll.

Whether he's actually angry or not is irrelevant. It's only bearable to you because playing a game shuts him up, but I don't want to be around the guy anymore. The amount of fun I could have playing (some game I don't like much anyway) with the group is mitigated by possibly having to listen to another angsty, undisciplined flame attack about games or politics.

My time is better spent around agreeable people.

But if I had a bunch of time to spare with the War3 map editor, I would make a clone of SWAT with improvements. Rank codes are annoying, toss 'em. Have a human control the "zombies", balance it for the smarter opponent. Add to player choices throughout the game and make them compound more for truly interesting multiplayer. I find games where you pick a class and then play basically the same way throughout the whole game (i.e. most AoSes in War3) to be boring as hell.

But I digress. You're already in development, so I wish you well.

12. - Top - End - #762

Quote Originally Posted by Forderz View Post
    Man that Tannish2 guy needs to work on his intrapersonal skills. I enter the channel and he says "F**k you" what did I ever do to him? Long time lurker here, btw.
    That's tannish. There's a reason he's banned from GitP.
    The GitP WarCraft III The Frozen Throne Group: USEast(Azeroth), channel op GitP, 4 PM EST Friday
    The GitP StarCraft BroodWar Group: USEast, channel op GitP, 5 PM EST Saturday

http://apina.biz/11996.jpg

Dr. Bath has created a masterpiece... I call it my avatar.

13. - Top - End - #763

Yea, tannish has some "intrapersonal skills" problems, like Forderz said. I don't think that accepting the fact that he is tannish and that's how he behaves is a good reason to have it acceptable. Really. It's not the first time there is some disagreement between someone and Tannish. Some people are able to just ignore him and it's fine, but I don't think that the fact that some people can do that means that others should have to accept it and shrug it off. It's been countless times that tannish just "insulted" some random new gitper for "fun" and people acts if it's normal and his right. Not a good impression, really. Silence is seen as support, most of the time.

Anywayz.
    Last edited by Cynan Machae; 2008-10-02 at 12:29 AM.
    Cynan

14. - Top - End - #764

I say this not necessarily because I agree with his behavior (quite the opposite) but I've long since given up on trying to change it, and whether he stays or goes isn't for me alone to decide. It's a tricky situation all around.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

I don't particularly like it either, but there's hardly a way to make him change his behaviour, and if one gets along with him, he is actually a fairly nice fellow to have around. It's not even all that difficult - mostly, it suffices to take everything he says with humour, instead of anger. There is a reason why one of the first things I whisper to new members when they encounter Tan is a warning to not take his words too seriously (as long as what he says sounds insane, anyway. Because when he is serious - like when discussing strategy or a map or something - what he says is usually quite insightful. I have a good deal of respect for Tan's intelligence, which is one of the reasons I consider him a valuable addition to the group in spite of his weirder behaviours).

On an unrelated note: Happy birthday, Baneling!
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2008-10-02 at 04:44 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

16. - Top - End - #766

Quote Originally Posted by Cynan Machae View Post
    It's been countless times that tannish just "insulted" some random new gitper for "fun" and people acts if it's normal and his right.
    Oh wow, I though i was the only one doing it!
    No, really i didn't know this had happened (well, i'm barely on W3 since i rarely can play on firdays) and it's pretty shˇtty since he doesn't meddle with others.
    And yeah, the solution is not trying to mend his ways but avoid/ignore him when he is being a dˇck.
    Last edited by PePe QuiCoSE; 2008-10-02 at 08:01 AM.
    solo tú sabes bien quien soy y por eso es tuyo mi corazón
    AKA Yakkul

17. - Top - End - #767

How to deal with Tannish:

Squelch him. Problem solved.

18. - Top - End - #768

Quote Originally Posted by darthmario View Post
    How to deal with Tannish:

Squelch him. Problem solved.

It's true. I often have him squelched for hours and he never seems to notice.
    The GitP WarCraft III The Frozen Throne Group: USEast(Azeroth), channel op GitP, 4 PM EST Friday
    The GitP StarCraft BroodWar Group: USEast, channel op GitP, 5 PM EST Saturday

http://apina.biz/11996.jpg

Dr. Bath has created a masterpiece... I call it my avatar.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I find simply not choosing to get annoyed by what he says much easier (plus, one doesn't miss out on the funny and/or worthwhile stuff he has to say), but I guess that's another way.

Reminder: Tomorrow is our next WarCraft session. I hope to see you all there.

Oh, and Yak - if you have no time on Fridays, keep in mind we can be found in the BattleNet on many other days during the week. Just yesterday we had 6 or 7 people online at once at some point, and that's not even counting the people who played with the DotA group instead.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #770

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    On an unrelated note: Happy birthday, Baneling!
    Thanks!

--

I just tend to tune out what he says when he's being unreasonable or otherwise unpleasant. Yes, he's still saying unpleasant things but they don't particularly bother me most of the time.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks!
    I actually wanted to wish you a happy birthday when we were playing yesterday already ('cause for me it already was the 2nd October, of course), but I forgot.
    So, planning something special today?

I just tend to tune out what he says when he's being unreasonable or otherwise unpleasant. Yes, he's still saying unpleasant things but they don't particularly bother me most of the time.
    And that's the right way to do it.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2008-10-02 at 12:45 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

22. - Top - End - #772

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    I actually wanted to wish you a happy birthday when we were playing yesterday already ('cause for me it already was the 2nd October, of course), but I forgot.
    So, planning something special today?
    Not particularly, just planning on going out to dinner and having cake and messing around with CoD4 (assuming my graphics card can run it) then maybe watching some Mythbusters.

In other news, 1 Legend is done, another is almost done... M&L definitely won't be done for tomorrow's session but *maybe* the session next week. Depends on how many snags I hit while triggering and how good CoD4 is.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

In other news, 1 Legend is done, another is almost done... M&L definitely won't be done for tomorrow's session but *maybe* the session next week. Depends on how many snags I hit while triggering and how good CoD4 is.
    Well, IIRC Yahtzee gave it a fairly good review, so... *checks* Oh my God, he did! Alright, then, Baneling, t'was nice to know ya!
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

24. - Top - End - #774

Not particularly, just planning on going out to dinner and having cake and messing around with CoD4 (assuming my graphics card can run it) then maybe watching some Mythbusters.

ya see ya later bud COD4 is awesome I play it on xbox live all the time and its incredibly addicting.
    PM me for computer hardware advice/help.
    thanks to Simius for the awesome avatar
    cookies drawn by Ceika

25. - Top - End - #775
    Dwarf in the Playground

Regarding the gameplay mechanics in DoE, the trebuchets are the most obvious, and are extremely annoying if your a ranged hero that stands in one spot to fire. When facing another hero, its practically a non-issue, but when fighting pure computer mobs in an otherwise empty lane, all it does is frustrate me when I'm trying to farm, and the cripple and ruin debuffs it places on a hero is a little too much. Twice I saw my hero get raped by that damned bone archer after getting crippled by a falling rock.

Speaking of the debuff system, its probably the most interesting mechanic DoE employs, but a game-maker it is not. A global debuff would work best with another unique mechanic, perhaps the use of moving platforms, like in Battle for Icecrown, static environmental hazards, like the flooding and erupting volcano in a truly awesome AoS I forget the name of, maybe the implementation of a new system of gaining money and items, like a different desert AoS where all other lanes aside from the central one has caravans you needed to protect to gain cash and mobs that have crafting components or truly customizable unit spawn, like in Extreme Aos. Each of those games I just briefly described are, in my humble opinion, more original and fun than DoE. DoE, or at least the version I played, looks more like half a game. A fun, moderatly polished game, but its still missing that extra ooph.
    My druid thinks tree sap tastes like candy.

Never, ever, EVER, make a magazine. Speaking from personal experience, it's awful.

Would you like to read an allegory to the Arab Spring, told in the style of Indiana Jones meets Welcome to Sarajevo, through the medium of Ponies?

26. - Top - End - #776

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2008-10-02 at 03:08 PM.

27. - Top - End - #777

Quote Originally Posted by nooblade View Post
    {Scrubbed}.

whoohh there did I miss something. I personaly would like you to keep that behavior off of the forums sir
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2008-10-02 at 03:08 PM.
    PM me for computer hardware advice/help.
    thanks to Simius for the awesome avatar
    cookies drawn by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #778

You're sounding an awful lot like what you're claiming to rebel against, nooblade...

It's not that he's better than anyone else, it's not that he's "funnier" than anyone else, he's just another person, and if people can accept his faults (as numerous as they may be) then hopefully we can all move on and have a good time anyway. Which seems to not be the case... shame, too.
    Last edited by The Orange Zergling; 2008-10-02 at 02:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Dwarf in the Playground

That was a bit uncalled for, Winter just meant his own opinion there, and was trying to be optimistic about it too.

30. - Top - End - #780

huh, i though it was the point... but i don't see any smilies so i can't tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by nooblade View Post
    {scrubbed}.
    And congratulations blade, this is something i though i would never see... someone is telling WW (the nicest guy on GITP) {Scrubbed}

and i kinda agree with WW that tannish's dump stat is Wis, not intelligence.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2008-10-02 at 03:10 PM.
    solo tú sabes bien quien soy y por eso es tuyo mi corazón
    AKA Yakkul