New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Blustery Hearts IC {HSHC}

It is a windy, late summer day, even for Chicago. The summer heat has finally seemed to break and the days are starting to cool down. The trees haven't quite begun to turn yet, but you can just tell from the feeling in the air that it will be happening soon.

There are a lot of people crammed into the Student Union building, and they all have one thing in common. They are all new freshmen, coming in for the new student orientation. You find yourselves scattered throughout the Union, looking at various campus organizations that have turned out to recruit whoever they can for their groups. As you wind your way through, you also make your way through the administration room, where you pick up finalized schedules and room assignments.

You then head into the central common area, grab a quick bite to eat or maybe just a coffee or energy drink, and settle in to review your welcoming packets. You are all in the middle of a conversation with other students around you, all of them new students themselves, discussing where your rooms are, chatting about your schedules and class loads, and generally trying to find some new friends when there is a set of two loud bangs from outside. They are loud, almost like gunshots. Looking outside, you see it is just the misfiring of an old, beat up VW van. The dirty, grungy window reveals little about the occupant or their identity. The engine misfires again, the coughs, wheezes and grinds to a halt with a sound that can only be described (if you were outside to hear such a noise) as a pained groan of relief, as the van is switched off. The drivers door opens, and you see the bottoms of combat boots peeking out from under the door. They turn as the driver turns, presumably to grab something from inside the van. As they straighten out you see a beanie. A beanie that you will note when she is close enough to make out such a detail, has a pair of drooping cat ears laying flat along the top and back of the hat.

This is followed by wavy red hair framing a pretty face. Wearing a pink hoodie and a pair of torn jeans that cling to her slender legs, she slings a bulging satchel over her shoulder and makes her way inside. She finds her way into the administration room, picks up her packet, and flops down into a chair at a nearby table to read it.

Spoiler: Unopposed Roll!
    Show
    Choose your best trait, and make your best introduction!
    1VP for beating a DC 5.
    2VP for beating DC 7.
    3VP for beating a DC of 9.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Blustery Hearts IC {HSHC}

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    CONFLICT POWER!

Violence Is Always The Answer gives +1.
    Bruiser for +2.
    Zone Out might technically apply, for another +1.

Total of +3 (4) to Conflict.

Jaz is currently sitting, back against the floor and feet and legs up on the wall, staring at the ceiling. She glances over towards the newcomer when she hears the "gunshots", and, upon seeing no guns, sighs. Man... she lets out.

She starts to roll back to get on her feet, and ends up rolling a little too far, slamming into a chair and knocking it out of the way as a large, gruff-looking freshman guy is about to sit. His legs fall out from under him, leading him to fall directly on top of Jaz. She brushes herself off and starts to get up, while the boy yells at her. "Hey! What the hell was that for?"

Hm? Jaz replies, not really looking at him. Later, Alfred.

"Alfred? What the hell? Hey-HEY, LOOK AT ME!" he starts to yell as Jaz starts walking towards the new girl.

Hi! she calls out. I love your hat!

The other kid, considerably mad at this point, tries words one more time to get his feelings across. "Apologize now, or I'm going to beat the crap out of you!"

Still completely ignoring him, Jaz picks her way around the crowd, continuing towards her goal. The boy lets out a wordless yell and lunges for Jaz. Hearing this, though, Jaz finally turns to him, and intercepts his tackle, sticking her foot forwards right at his last step and pulling him forwards, faster than he'd expected, sending him zooming forwards towards the new girl. He crashes through some empty chairs, coming to a stop in front of her. "Ow..."

Jaz turns back to face the new girl, and says Hey, clear path! and finally reaches her. Hi! I'm Edward Jazz Treble The Fourth, Lady Of The Lake And Lord Of The Dance! What's your name?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Watching all of this nonsense is another student, perched on one of the high chairs with her papers laid out on the table next to her laptop and a tumbler full of some sweetened iced coffee drink. Her black hair is held loosely behind her neck by a teal scrunchie, matching a symbol on her t-shirt referencing her favorite webcomic. Her vibrant blue jeans hold a visible crease; her sneakers still have the little plastic loop that once held their price tag. Even her black-rimmed glasses are no more than a week old. Joan's mom made sure she was thoroughly shopped-for before she went off to live on her own.

Intending to recount the altercation while it's fresh in her mind, she hurriedly alt-tabs from her annotated map of the campus to her document, a writing sample detailing her first day on campus, about which she had already spoken to the teams for the yearbook and campus newspaper. She clicks away at her keyboard, letting herself wander from the food court itself to Princess Jaz and her assailant to the color of the other girl's red bangs to her walk entering and leaving the room to the sound of the dilapidated carriage that delivered such an angel to the school's midst...

The guy that Jaz just decked grunts painfully as he resets his jaw, then suddenly realizes that the black-haired girl is still intently watching him - or at least, watching something in his direction. "What're YOU staring at?"

"nuh?" It takes this long for Joan to so much as blink. She coughs and swallows as she realizes how dry her mouth is, having been left in a pouting gape for what must have been a full minute.

"You think this is FUNNY?" You seriously have no idea what this guy's problem is. You'd think he'd have better things to do on his first day of college, but for whatever reason he seems singularly focused on picking fights with potential classmates at random.

"Um, no! Sorry, I... I wan't staring at you, I was staring at the brilliant point of light from a dreary world..."

"Shut up!"

"Sorry! I can't... she's just..." Oh my god I cant take my eyes off of her, why am I still staring? "I... it feels like..."

"SHUT! UP!"

The dude backhands Joan's laptop, sending it and her coffee clattering across the floor to Jessica's feet. When that fails to make Joan stare and hyperventilate any more than she is already, he reaches over to shove her down after them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Triggering her first Thaw Out right out of the gate because love at first sight is like that. Luck +5 to be thrown right at Jessica's feet under Perilous circumstances!

I refuse to let, 'Finding her,' count for Snooping since that was part of the premise and required no luck on Joan's part, though it might count as, 'walking in,' on the dude's altercation since it was JNAP that so fortuitously introduced him and a twist of fate that he happened to be right between Joan and the angel. If you'll take that, that's another +2 for a total of 7!
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-02-08 at 12:59 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Next to the beat up car, glided the most expensive display of wealth rolls up.

Her sky blue Mercerdes driving up.

Thank you Alfred, I should be on campus till 5'00 clock. She let out getting out the car.

The royal princess, jewel of the crown. Was dressed as....

Princess Peach.

To one or two cheerers, she gave a regal wave.

Miss. I believe your car is in need of what's the word.... Repairs, right! She speaks in a heavy accent.

Spoiler
    Show

Allure, Cosplay enthuaist, School queen, Dazzling display
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Dude... this guy going around beating people up for looking at him funny was just not OK. On the other hand, unlike that other hooligan that he seemed to be fighting, Brooke had no combat skills, not that she would put them to use if she did. Now, where would the nearest authorities be? She took a quick look at her map. Hmm, no high ranking offices on the same floor... switching to her cell phone, Brook quickly found the number of Campus Security on the University Website, and dialed. Speaking in a loud enough voice that everyone could hear, "Hello, I'd like to report a fight in the student union building, first floor."

"Uh, I think somebody pulled a chair out from under this big guy and now he's running around and getting beat up..."

"Alright, see you soon then I guess. Bye!"

Hopefully campus security would get there before this doofus could mess anything else up, but for now he seemed focused on the petrified black haired girl, considering whether to cut and run if security was on the way. As Brooke surveyed the scene, she noted again that girl with the red hair... who had coffee all over her shoes. "Let me get you some napkins." She said, and after retrieving them for Jessica introduced herself with a lousy attempt at small talk. "I'm Brooke, by the way. You seem to have had some terrible luck on your first day, huh?"

Show
    If by some bizarre grace looking up the phone number for campus security counts as a skill roll, +3, if not (luck or conflict probably) +2 from Connections.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2019-02-08 at 01:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nice as it was not being the center of attention of once, it would have been nicer if the remained of the coffee wasn't soaking into his admittedly very form fitting white shirt. "Need any help there?" he asked, but the other girls seemed to have things in hand, so for now he guessed he'd let them do their things and worry about himself. The growing brown, nearly transparent patch he could handle - the burning, somewhat less so. Well. Only one thing for it.

Stripping off in the middle of a crowded hall hadn't been his plan for the first day, but at least his sleeveless hoodie had been open and was still dry. He zipped it up, but only after the entire room had had plenty of time to get a good look at his abs.

"I promise, I don't just strip off for every cute girl I meet-" he said with a wink, before he got a good look at her. Oh. Oh no. His manager had warned him about this. She'd told him, under no circumstances was he to catch feelings for some American girl, no matter how cute she was, even if she was his type, even if she was single, even if he met her in a contrived romantic way, don't give me that look I know what you're like you damn flirt.

But, well, she wasn't here, was she? "Just call me Ryu," he said, holding out a hand. "Who've I had the pleasure of sharing a coffee with?"

Show

Star Quality for +1, and invoking Splash Magnet even though it doesn't give me any mechanical benefit on allure rolls. Also going to be a bro and fire off Do your best, giving everyone a +2 if they're using their strong roll, including me, leaving me on a +4 total for the roll.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hunnah!" *thwump*

Joan is shoved out of her chair and onto the floor next to her stuff as The Dude storms out of the common room. She lies still for a moment as she fails to come to her senses. Of course everyone's first thought is still to clean up the cold coffee. It's not unreasonable to expect an ostensibly able-bodied adult to pick herself up from her hands and knees.

"S-sorry! I didn't mean to be rude to you... you're... I'll, um, I'll get it..." she takes some of the paper towels Brooke brought and helps gather the mess back into the cup to be thrown out. She blushes and shakes as she comes so close to the woman who came in in the filth van. She notices the pattern of holes in her trousers and the gunk on her boots.

"I wonder where you're from... I would follow you there..." Joan whispers idly as she picks up her laptop. There are already a bunch of more interesting people in line to talk to her, though, so the weird comment goes thankfully unnoticed. Get it together, JR. She's just another student who happens to wear army boots and who drives the freaking mystery machine and... and...

She manages to keep quiet, but continues to fail to get it together. She fidgets with her laptop, never even thinking to open it or to see if it got damaged or wet, and listens to the rest of the group introduce themselves, unwilling or unable to take one step further away from boots girl. Hat girl. Girl who we really need to learn the name of lest we go even more insane.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-02-08 at 09:04 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Jaz, seeing Joan looking so frazzled, does step over to her and offer to help.

She unintentionally looms over the other girl, her height and musculature cutting an intimidating figure, as she says Need a hand?

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

"Um, I think..." Joan swallows. What do you say to the person who beat up the person who just beat you up, and who is also Princess Peach for some reason? Is there an etiquette handbook for that? "Um, okay, thanks... sorry..."

It doesn't take long to toss the paper towels and straighten up the scared student's scattered stuff. Her laptop powered off when it fell and runs some diagnostics when it comes back up, but other than some scuff marks on the case it seems to be alright. She blushes and closes it again before anyone can get a look at the gobbledygook she had been typing. "Um, sorry... I'm Joan, by the way! And I really like your costume, um... Edward? Sorry..."

She's not sure whether she's apologizing because Jaz's name is weird, or because she thinks she heard it wrong, or because it's just a reflex at this point.

10. - Top - End - #10

Jaz cocks her head. It seems that Joan is a little more frazzled than she might appear, since Jaz is dressed in scuffy jeans, a large blue hoodie, and an MLP belt. You can call me Edward, Ed, Jazz, Jaz-it's spelled differently, see-Treble, Four, your mastress... But most people default to Jaz, to make it easy. And did you get a concussion or something? I don't think I'm wearing a costume... she says, gently grabbing Joan's head and looking at her eyes. No, you don't look conked out... And trust me, I know concussions!

She does glance around, and spotting the Princess Peach cosplayer, nods. Oh, I getcha, I getcha. You thought I was her, and she was me, so you are I, and I are you. she says. But no Princess Toadstool am I! I have no vibe scepter, to be fought and gained back in a fun videogame! Nor am I a damsel in distress, to be rescued by the plumber in red! Nor am I the kind of person that would have a man run through ghosts and turtles, pipes and spikes, only to be rewarded with a mere peck on the nose! I mean, seriously, who does that? You hear me, awesome-costume person! she adds, calling over to her, if some plumber saves your bacon, like, fifteen times, either let him know you're not interested or actually go out with him! And watch out for turtles!

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    watch out for turtles!
    Watch out for turtles? Watch out for turtles! Alison starts getting angry.

Squirtle is the best pokemon, I will knife you!

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Next to the beat up car, glided the most expensive display of wealth rolls up.

Her sky blue Mercerdes driving up.

Thank you Alfred, I should be on campus till 5'00 clock. She let out getting out the car.

The royal princess, jewel of the crown. Was dressed as....

Princess Peach.

To one or two cheerers, she gave a regal wave.

Miss. I believe your car is in need of what's the word.... Repairs, right! She speaks in a heavy accent.

Spoiler
    Show

Allure, Cosplay enthuaist, School queen, Dazzling display
    Jessie starts walking inside. Alie, coming in through the parking lot, watches (and hears) the van sputter to a stop. She sees the girl walk inside, noting the hat and the hoodie.

The incredibly flashy car pulls up in front of Jessie's van. Alfred, the chauffeur, hurries around to open the door for Alie. As the princess exits her vehicle, Alfred bows as the young woman dismisses him.

"Of course, madam. Should anything change, I will be only a phone all away."

The Mercedes drives away, Alie walks inside...

And into the end of some kind of bizarre chain of events. On one side of the room, Campus Security is attempting to push their way through the crowd. And not too far in the door that Alie just entered, there is an odd scene. One young man is trying to threaten his way away from the odd group surrounding Jessica. Another young man is zipping up his jacket, beneath which he does appear to not have a shirt on. One girl is attempting to clean Jessica's boots. Another is gathering up her papers and computer from the floor.

But, unfazed by the oddity of the situation, Alie instead mentions the condition of Jessie's van to her.

No kidding. I never noticed. The red-head says, nonchalantly. How long have you been here? Did you get any of the coffee on you?
    Show
    CONFLICT POWER!

Violence Is Always The Answer gives +1.
    Bruiser for +2.
    Zone Out might technically apply, for another +1.

Total of +3 (4) to Conflict.

Jaz is currently sitting, back against the floor and feet and legs up on the wall, staring at the ceiling. She glances over towards the newcomer when she hears the "gunshots", and, upon seeing no guns, sighs. Man... she lets out.

She starts to roll back to get on her feet, and ends up rolling a little too far, slamming into a chair and knocking it out of the way as a large, gruff-looking freshman guy is about to sit. His legs fall out from under him, leading him to fall directly on top of Jaz. She brushes herself off and starts to get up, while the boy yells at her. "Hey! What the hell was that for?"

Hm? Jaz replies, not really looking at him. Later, Alfred.

"Alfred? What the hell? Hey-HEY, LOOK AT ME!" he starts to yell as Jaz starts walking towards the new girl.

Hi! she calls out. I love your hat!

The other kid, considerably mad at this point, tries words one more time to get his feelings across. "Apologize now, or I'm going to beat the crap out of you!"

Still completely ignoring him, Jaz picks her way around the crowd, continuing towards her goal. The boy lets out a wordless yell and lunges for Jaz. Hearing this, though, Jaz finally turns to him, and intercepts his tackle, sticking her foot forwards right at his last step and pulling him forwards, faster than he'd expected, sending him zooming forwards towards the new girl. He crashes through some empty chairs, coming to a stop in front of her. "Ow..."

Jaz turns back to face the new girl, and says Hey, clear path! and finally reaches her. Hi! I'm Edward Jazz Treble The Fourth, Lady Of The Lake And Lord Of The Dance! What's your name?
    That... is a very odd name. I’m Jessica. Nice throw, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    Watching all of this nonsense is another student, perched on one of the high chairs with her papers laid out on the table next to her laptop and a tumbler full of some sweetened iced coffee drink. Her black hair is held loosely behind her neck by a teal scrunchie, matching a symbol on her t-shirt referencing her favorite webcomic. Her vibrant blue jeans hold a visible crease; her sneakers still have the little plastic loop that once held their price tag. Even her black-rimmed glasses are no more than a week old. Joan's mom made sure she was thoroughly shopped-for before she went off to live on her own.

Intending to recount the altercation while it's fresh in her mind, she hurriedly alt-tabs from her annotated map of the campus to her document, a writing sample detailing her first day on campus, about which she had already spoken to the teams for the yearbook and campus newspaper. She clicks away at her keyboard, letting herself wander from the food court itself to Princess Jaz and her assailant to the color of the other girl's red bangs to her walk entering and leaving the room to the sound of the dilapidated carriage that delivered such an angel to the school's midst...

The guy that Jaz just decked grunts painfully as he resets his jaw, then suddenly realizes that the black-haired girl is still intently watching him - or at least, watching something in his direction. "What're YOU staring at?"

"nuh?" It takes this long for Joan to so much as blink. She coughs and swallows as she realizes how dry her mouth is, having been left in a pouting gape for what must have been a full minute.

"You think this is FUNNY?" You seriously have no idea what this guy's problem is. You'd think he'd have better things to do on his first day of college, but for whatever reason he seems singularly focused on picking fights with potential classmates at random.

"Um, no! Sorry, I... I wan't staring at you, I was staring at the brilliant point of light from a dreary world..."

"Shut up!"

"Sorry! I can't... she's just..." Oh my god I cant take my eyes off of her, why am I still staring? "I... it feels like..."

"SHUT! UP!"

The dude backhands Joan's laptop, sending it and her coffee clattering across the floor to Jessica's feet. When that fails to make Joan stare and hyperventilate any more than she is already, he reaches over to shove her down after them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Triggering her first Thaw Out right out of the gate because love at first sight is like that. Luck +5 to be thrown right at Jessica's feet under Perilous circumstances!

I refuse to let, 'Finding her,' count for Snooping since that was part of the premise and required no luck on Joan's part, though it might count as, 'walking in,' on the dude's altercation since it was JNAP that so fortuitously introduced him and a twist of fate that he happened to be right between Joan and the angel. If you'll take that, that's another +2 for a total of 7!
    Joan, after having been backhanded across the room, feels her slide come to a stop as she thumps into something. Something hard. Yet also surprising soft. When Joan looks up, she sees a hand reaching down, apparently an offer to help her back up.

You okay? It’s her. The redhead. You look at the hand. Delicate. Trimmed nails, firm grip as you take the hand and let her help you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Dude... this guy going around beating people up for looking at him funny was just not OK. On the other hand, unlike that other hooligan that he seemed to be fighting, Brooke had no combat skills, not that she would put them to use if she did. Now, where would the nearest authorities be? She took a quick look at her map. Hmm, no high ranking offices on the same floor... switching to her cell phone, Brook quickly found the number of Campus Security on the University Website, and dialed. Speaking in a loud enough voice that everyone could hear, "Hello, I'd like to report a fight in the student union building, first floor."

"Uh, I think somebody pulled a chair out from under this big guy and now he's running around and getting beat up..."

"Alright, see you soon then I guess. Bye!"

Hopefully campus security would get there before this doofus could mess anything else up, but for now he seemed focused on the petrified black haired girl, considering whether to cut and run if security was on the way. As Brooke surveyed the scene, she noted again that girl with the red hair... who had coffee all over her shoes. "Let me get you some napkins." She said, and after retrieving them for Jessica introduced herself with a lousy attempt at small talk. "I'm Brooke, by the way. You seem to have had some terrible luck on your first day, huh?"

Show
    If by some bizarre grace looking up the phone number for campus security counts as a skill roll, +3, if not (luck or conflict probably) +2 from Connections.
    As you start trying to clean the coffee off her boots, the girl pulls her foot back.

Stop that. They’re just boots. They’ll be fine. And yeah. Seems to be quite a day. I’m Jessica.

Quote Originally Posted by kjelfalconer View Post
    Nice as it was not being the center of attention of once, it would have been nicer if the remained of the coffee wasn't soaking into his admittedly very form fitting white shirt. "Need any help there?" he asked, but the other girls seemed to have things in hand, so for now he guessed he'd let them do their things and worry about himself. The growing brown, nearly transparent patch he could handle - the burning, somewhat less so. Well. Only one thing for it.

Stripping off in the middle of a crowded hall hadn't been his plan for the first day, but at least his sleeveless hoodie had been open and was still dry. He zipped it up, but only after the entire room had had plenty of time to get a good look at his abs.

"I promise, I don't just strip off for every cute girl I meet-" he said with a wink, before he got a good look at her. Oh. Oh no. His manager had warned him about this. She'd told him, under no circumstances was he to catch feelings for some American girl, no matter how cute she was, even if she was his type, even if she was single, even if he met her in a contrived romantic way, don't give me that look I know what you're like you damn flirt.

But, well, she wasn't here, was she? "Just call me Ryu," he said, holding out a hand. "Who've I had the pleasure of sharing a coffee with?"

Show

Star Quality for +1, and invoking Splash Magnet even though it doesn't give me any mechanical benefit on allure rolls. Also going to be a bro and fire off Do your best, giving everyone a +2 if they're using their strong roll, including me, leaving me on a +4 total for the roll.
    Ryu, huh? So, you don’t just strip down for anyone? Guess my luck must not be all bad today.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #13

What is coffee. Alison asks confused.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Jessie looks over at the princess, a combination of shock and surprise on her face. What do you mean? You don’t know what coffee is?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

It had taken all summer, but it was worth it. Robin had first seen her during a tour of the school, last fall, while applying. They'd been in the same tour group, afterall. Prior to then, Robin hadn't had much interest in college. She didn't really need it, after all, school had always been something of a waste of her time. But college was needed, to provide a means of proof as to her gifts. It had all been such a burden, so annoying. But then, an angel had come into her life. With hair like a sunset, eyes that you could drown in an a body...oh yes, that body. Robin couldn't remember much of the tour after that moment, but she remembered the way her red-haired angel had smelled when they stood next to eachother in the stairwell.

Since then, Robin had known that she was going to like going to school here. Afterall, so long as she was here, Robin couldn't think of anywhere else in the world she'd want to go.

Accessing the school housing assignments hadn't been easy, four nights without sleep will take its toll. But once she'd managed that, it was child's play to begin bumping around the rooming situation. Afterall, she couldn't let Anyone else have her sweet angel, now could she?

No, She Couldn't

Approaching now, Robin felt her chest pounding so hard that she felt her ribs would crack. But she buried it, because her perfect little angel mustn't be scared off by coming on too strong. No, this was something she wanted to take her time with.

"Excuse me" Robin said, a bit meekly, though presenting a smile. It was all she could manage not to throw her arms around the girl and kiss her right now, much as she wanted to. "My Name is Robin, I think..." She glanced at her housing assignment sheet (though it was just for show, she'd memorized the thing ages ago) "...I think we might be roomates?"

Holding out a hand, Robin felt the bottom drop out of the world. She'd spoken to her. She was about to touch her. This was the story they'd be telling eachother on their wedding day!

Afterall, it wasn't like she had any choice in the matter.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

It might be to late to jump in on the last round, but going for it anyway.

Pokerface +2 for lying, Honor student for +2 to skill rolls for hacking the school, and Stalker +2 for obviously stalking the girl to set up this meeting, and another +2 from Do Your Best.

(1d6+8)[12]

High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    It had taken all summer, but it was worth it. Robin had first seen her during a tour of the school, last fall, while applying. They'd been in the same tour group, afterall. Prior to then, Robin hadn't had much interest in college. She didn't really need it, after all, school had always been something of a waste of her time. But college was needed, to provide a means of proof as to her gifts. It had all been such a burden, so annoying. But then, an angel had come into her life. With hair like a sunset, eyes that you could drown in an a body...oh yes, that body. Robin couldn't remember much of the tour after that moment, but she remembered the way her red-haired angel had smelled when they stood next to eachother in the stairwell.

Since then, Robin had known that she was going to like going to school here. Afterall, so long as she was here, Robin couldn't think of anywhere else in the world she'd want to go.

Accessing the school housing assignments hadn't been easy, four nights without sleep will take its toll. But once she'd managed that, it was child's play to begin bumping around the rooming situation. Afterall, she couldn't let Anyone else have her sweet angel, now could she?

No, She Couldn't

Approaching now, Robin felt her chest pounding so hard that she felt her ribs would crack. But she buried it, because her perfect little angel mustn't be scared off by coming on too strong. No, this was something she wanted to take her time with.

"Excuse me" Robin said, a bit meekly, though presenting a smile. It was all she could manage not to throw her arms around the girl and kiss her right now, much as she wanted to. "My Name is Robin, I think..." She glanced at her housing assignment sheet (though it was just for show, she'd memorized the thing ages ago) "...I think we might be roomates?"

Holding out a hand, Robin felt the bottom drop out of the world. She'd spoken to her. She was about to touch her. This was the story they'd be telling eachother on their wedding day!

Afterall, it wasn't like she had any choice in the matter.

Show

It might be to late to jump in on the last round, but going for it anyway.

Pokerface +2 for lying, Honor student for +2 to skill rolls for hacking the school, and Stalker +2 for obviously stalking the girl to set up this meeting, and another +2 from Do Your Best.

[roll0]

Uhh, okay, I guess? I haven’t looked at where I’m going yet. I haven’t even gotten my schedule finalized. I should probably do that. But I guess if we are, I’ll be seeing a lot of you.

You realize that she didn’t take your hand as she starts walking off.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Uhh, okay, I guess? I haven’t looked at where I’m going yet. I haven’t even gotten my schedule finalized. I should probably do that. But I guess if we are, I’ll be seeing a lot of you.

You realize that she didn’t take your hand as she starts walking off.
    Robin stood in place, watching the cute little swish of her angel's backside as she walked away, utterly frozen. They'd...just spoken! And her voice! Talk about Wow! Robin regretted having forgotten to set her phone to record, she'd thought about doing so but in her excitement she'd forgotten. Ah well, it hardly mattered, it wasn't like she was going to forget that encounter.

Even better, everything had gone great. Was she mistaken, or had there been a powerful undercurrent to that little exchange? Surely, Robin couldn't be imagining the subtext that she'd picked up on? I'll be seeing a lot of you she'd said, at least with her words. But her eyes? The had been pretty clear. I can't wait to see you again, they had said. Oh, it was enough to make her feel weak in the knees.

Robin only then noticed she was still holding her hand out, seeing Her walk away. Bliss became supplanted by panic, for a moment at least. Had something gone wrong? But her mind was quick to rationalize. Surely, her chaste little flower was just as flustered, and had retreated to compose herself. Poor thing. Robin wanted to rush right to Her side, let her know that she didn't think anything less of Her. Robin even took a step forward, but then held back. No, it wouldn't do to come on too strongly, and right now she was practically dancing on cloud nine. "Yeah, see you later then" Robin said, under her breath.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Joan, after having been backhanded across the room, feels her slide come to a stop as she thumps into something. Something hard. Yet also surprising soft. When Joan looks up, she sees a hand reaching down, apparently an offer to help her back up.

You okay?
    The blank look returns to Joan's face as she gazes into Jess's eyes. "Yeah... I am now..." she sighs idly and takes her hand before the nervous part of her brain can catch up. When she gets to her feet, she realizes what she's doing and proceeds with the blustered apologies and cleanup procedure previously described.

"You're a new student too, right? We can... um, right, sorry, I haven't even asked your name yet... I'm Joan!"

Between this and several alternate timelines adding together in a sort of narrative superposition, she catches the names of Jessica and of the other students converging on the cafe-style couch she'd settled into.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2019-02-09 at 08:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

It's my mom and dad's name, with a couple extra titles and widgets thrown in, Jaz replies. You know, for fun!

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #20

It's my mom and dad's name, with a couple extra titles and widgets thrown in, Jaz replies. You know, for fun!
    Titles? For fun! You earn titles, or are born with them! They aren't for fun, they are rights and responsibilities. Alison remarked.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    The blank look returns to Joan's face as she gazes into Jess's eyes. "Yeah... I am now..." she sighs idly and takes her hand before the nervous part of her brain can catch up. When she gets to her feet, she realizes what she's doing and proceeds with the blustered apologies and cleanup procedure previously described.

"You're a new student too, right? We can... um, right, sorry, I haven't even asked your name yet... I'm Joan!"

Between this and several alternate timelines adding together in a sort of narrative superposition, she catches the names of Jessica and of the other students converging on the cafe-style couch she'd settled into.
    Name's Jessica. You sure you're okay? She reaches out and turns Joan's head to see the mark left on Joan's face. I mean, it doesn't look too bad right now, but this could be pretty swollen soon.

I see. Well, so long as you are happy with your name, or your nickname, or whatever, then by all means. Enjoy yourself.
    Titles? For fun! You earn titles, or are born with them! They aren't for fun, they are rights and responsibilities. Alison remarked.
    Yeah? And just who, exactly, are you?

Jessica makes a quick snapping rotation of her right hand in Alison's direction.

You know, other than another rich, spoiled kid, eager to spend her trust money on decadence and blatant attempts at ostentation?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

22. - Top - End - #22

I am Princess Alison. She remarks brightly.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah? So it’s okay for you to just add a title to your name, but not for Jaz? Kinda hypocritical, don’tcha think?
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2019-02-10 at 09:28 AM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

24. - Top - End - #24

Jaz looks at Alison. So, a dance-off it is? You shall see who is truly the Lord of the Dance, squirtle-lover! And then we'll have one third of a triathlon, specifically the swimming part, because I am the Lady of the Lake! Of course, for the dance off, we'll need some awesome jams and sick beats... And I don't have a speaker on me...

But Jessica, don't worry about it,
    Jaz says. I'm used to people thinking I'm just silly, whether it's my name or how I act. And to be fair, they're not really wrong.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Robin checked her phone. It'd been a few minutes, perhaps it was time to be carrying on. Afterall, there was a lot to do today either way. And much of it...most of it really, wasn't especially interesting, it still needed to be done. With her rolling suitcase in tow, she headed off to continue with moving in on the first day, a little spring in her step, knowing she'd be sharing a room with her angel tonight. Her imagination was positively abuzz with images of what it would be like, to hear the soft little breaths from across the room. Tonight couldn't come fast enough.

But then, what did she see? A splash of scarlet hair, with a cat-eared hat atop it. Robin paused to take another glance, and was glad she had. There She was alright. And she was with a group of people, chatting and discussing. Nothing wrong with that right? Of course not. It was a big school, and it was only natural someone as amazing as she was would draw others towards her. Nope, nothing wrong with building a good social circle. And she did seem to be enjoying herself. Which was good. It was fine, really. Fine.

Just fine.

Robin was already moving closer. Her little buttercup was probably in no danger of getting distracted, but then that didn't mean that someone else might not try and entangle themselves in their relationship. Yes, it was best that she just stay in orbit, in case developments needed a push in the right direction.

However, just hovering would make her seem out of place, and she could be more proactive up close. Mental calculations were running, trying to spot an approach that would give her the best leverage. Not to strong, not to gentle. Just the right touch.

She spotted her chance.

"I'm sorry, but I must be mistaken, did you just say you were The Princess Ali..." Robin softly interjected, but cut herself of, clasping her hands over her mouth and jumping with surprise, suppressing a yelp as she got a better look at the trollop in the designer threads "You are! Oh my god, you really are!I mean, I remember it was rumored you might be coming here, but just...wow!" She fumbled with her phone, words racing just as fast as she could get them out "Do you, I mean I'm sure you get this a lot but...a picture, would you, I mean...if you don't mind?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

He smiled at Jessica, a little apologetically.
    "Looks like things are getting a little hectic around here. How about we give them some space for... well, whatever they're doing, while I get you a coffee for your mouth instead of your feet?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Jaz looks at Alison. So, a dance-off it is? You shall see who is truly the Lord of the Dance, squirtle-lover! And then we'll have one third of a triathlon, specifically the swimming part, because I am the Lady of the Lake! Of course, for the dance off, we'll need some awesome jams and sick beats... And I don't have a speaker on me...

But Jessica, don't worry about it,
    Jaz says. I'm used to people thinking I'm just silly, whether it's my name or how I act. And to be fair, they're not really wrong.
    Okay. As long you’re okay with it. But just so you know. There’s nothing with being weird.

Robin checked her phone. It'd been a few minutes, perhaps it was time to be carrying on. Afterall, there was a lot to do today either way. And much of it...most of it really, wasn't especially interesting, it still needed to be done. With her rolling suitcase in tow, she headed off to continue with moving in on the first day, a little spring in her step, knowing she'd be sharing a room with her angel tonight. Her imagination was positively abuzz with images of what it would be like, to hear the soft little breaths from across the room. Tonight couldn't come fast enough.

But then, what did she see? A splash of scarlet hair, with a cat-eared hat atop it. Robin paused to take another glance, and was glad she had. There She was alright. And she was with a group of people, chatting and discussing. Nothing wrong with that right? Of course not. It was a big school, and it was only natural someone as amazing as she was would draw others towards her. Nope, nothing wrong with building a good social circle. And she did seem to be enjoying herself. Which was good. It was fine, really. Fine.

Just fine.

Robin was already moving closer. Her little buttercup was probably in no danger of getting distracted, but then that didn't mean that someone else might not try and entangle themselves in their relationship. Yes, it was best that she just stay in orbit, in case developments needed a push in the right direction.

However, just hovering would make her seem out of place, and she could be more proactive up close. Mental calculations were running, trying to spot an approach that would give her the best leverage. Not to strong, not to gentle. Just the right touch.

She spotted her chance.

"I'm sorry, but I must be mistaken, did you just say you were The Princess Ali..." Robin softly interjected, but cut herself of, clasping her hands over her mouth and jumping with surprise, suppressing a yelp as she got a better look at the trollop in the designer threads "You are! Oh my god, you really are!I mean, I remember it was rumored you might be coming here, but just...wow!" She fumbled with her phone, words racing just as fast as she could get them out "Do you, I mean I'm sure you get this a lot but...a picture, would you, I mean...if you don't mind?"
    Jessica looks stunned at this new revelation.

Wait, wait, wait. You mean she, Jessica points a thumb over toward Alison. Is a real princess? Like not some kind of cosplaying nutjob, but a real, honest-to-goodness Princess?

She starts laughing. You’re all nuts, you know that? What would a princess be doing here? This is hardly an Ivy League school. I mean, it isn’t anything to sneeze at, but hardly prestigious.

Quote Originally Posted by kjelfalconer View Post
    He smiled at Jessica, a little apologetically.
    "Looks like things are getting a little hectic around here. How about we give them some space for... well, whatever they're doing, while I get you a coffee for your mouth instead of your feet?"
    Sorry, but I have a two meeting minimum before I let anyone feed any part of me other than my boots. She smiles a bit, to let you know it’s a joke.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

28. - Top - End - #28

Yeah? So it’s okay for you to just add a title to your name, but not for Jaz? Kinda hypocritical, don’tcha think?
    But I'm not adding a title to my name, through rite and birth I am.... Princess Alison remarked.

Just fine.

She spotted her chance.

Oh, it'd be my pleasure, but please no flash. Princess Alison curtsied.

Jessica looks stunned at this new revelation.

Wait, wait, wait. You mean she, Jessica points a thumb over toward Alison. Is a real princess? Like not some kind of cosplaying nutjob, but a real, honest-to-goodness Princess? [/COLOR]
    Yes my father is king-consort, and my mother is queen. And I'm not a nutjob. Alison protests.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

But I'm not adding a title to my name, through rite and birth I am.... Princess Alison remarked.

Oh, it'd be my pleasure, but please no flash. Princess Alison curtsied.

Yes my father is king-consort, and my mother is queen. And I'm not a nutjob. Alison protests.
    I see. Well, then, your highnessness, I’m sorry if I offended you.

~~~~~~~~~Blustery Hearts~~~~~~~~~

Jessica, having picked up her schedule and dorm assingments, heads off across the campus. Realizing you still have moving of your own to do, head for your vehicles to drive over to your dormitory.

Pillerman Hall is one of the newer dorms on the campus, with built in high-speed internet and HDMI outlets for the cable services students can buy through the campus. As you all approach the Hall, you see hundreds of students being forced to wait outside the doors as some people, the Dormitory staff, presumably, take IDs and check a tablet they are carrying with them. They jot something down and hand it over to the waiting student, who is then ushered inside.

Even for the weekend before the start of term, you didn't that the scene would be as chaotic as it is! But as you wait your turn, you hear snatches of conversation from the RAs at the head of the line. "-rearranged everything." "-covered their tracks-" "-reassigning everyone to new rooms."

Apparently Robin's plan to roommate with Jessica has backfired! Someone figured out there was some pretty massive tampering, and has kicked everyone out of the hall so they can sort it all out! As you approach, you realize that they don't have an actual list, but they are making selections for students based on a couple of preferences, and degree programs! Maybe you can work this to your advantage?

Spoiler: Scene 2
    Show
    Opposed Roll!

Someone in this crowd must have seen Jessica!
    Skill: Find out what you can and use the info to get into the same section of the dorm!
    Allure: Use your... assets... to get the RA into at least letting you get near the cute red-head. "You know, the one you helped out earlier?"

2VP for the winner!
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2019-02-11 at 10:54 AM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
    Gang aft a-gley.

Robert Burns might not know anything about cybersecurity or modern academic housing, but his words certainly came to the forefront of Robin's mind, and replayed on a loop. She wanted to be angry, and somewhere in her heart an ember of fury extended a single questing tendril, seeking to kindle her wrath in full, but retreated for now, biding its time. 4 nights without sleep had been her own choice, and clearly was a mistaken one. She'd been careful, yet clearly not careful enough. Lacking proper rest had undoutedly taken a toll and caused her to overlook a mistake.

So yes, she was angry, but it was largely directed at herself, which was without question the least productive line of thought she could be engaging in. The dice were already falling and freezing now would risk her prize being snatched away. Unacceptable!

Taking a moment longer to center herself, Robin pushed away emotion and let her (not at all inconsiderable) brain do what it did best. Tracking Her down wouldn't be hard, and keeping a steady tail would be even simpler, with the crowds providing ample opportunity to pursue without drawing notice. That was advantage 1.

The disarray at the entrance and assignment table was causing a bottle-neck, which meant the outflow of students into assigned dormitory space was vastly exceeded by the volume of incoming students who were awaiting their housing placement. Crowds with little capacity to act, but large motive to do so, resulted in rumors and information spreading like wildfire. Optimazing her chances here would require discerning the parameters that were being used, and then simply working within those parameters to ensure the desired outcome. That was advantage 2.

Really, it boiled down to an equation then. It was just a math problem.

Two partials are moving through a randomized two dimensional field of non-interactive elements, with a single outlet point controlled by a matching gate. Particle 1 and Particle 2 are initially separated by distance D, but are attracted to each-other (undeniably) by a force of magnitude L. The outlet gate is grouping by skewed probabilistic averages defined as (1) Major, (2) Individual Preference, with possible but uncertain parameters matching (3) Gender, (4) Age, and (5) Immediate of pair-bonding (Assume first past the post algorithm to determine viable candidacy). Additonally, the probability P(t)=Cezt of a non-interacting particle to spontaneously become a mono-polar particle with attractive force F=N, where in is a positive number towards Particle 1, but will never be enough to fully appreciate them, and C and Z are variables dependent on the randomized population and the movement of partial 1 through the field. Solve for ideal-state Pair Bonding between two particles, to p>95% certainty.

Robin adjusted her glasses, a tick she often engaged in when her brain was on full throttle. Still though, she let herself indulge in a small smirk. Jessica, her sweet Jessica, needed Robin to be there for her, and Robin wouldn't dare let her fail. So she started solving the problem.

And who says math has no use in the real world?

Show

Rolling for skill. +1 for strong attribute, +2 for Stalker, and possible +2 for Honor Student if you'll allow sociology, probability, and Brownian motion to be a way to model the scenario.

(2d6+3)[9]+2 more if Honor Student Applies